meplanes1969

Kuban summer Rangoon textures

Posted (edited)

Just started some Rangoon Burma type textures,quite bit of work on this one,anyone want to do the trees

C57201A0-1A58-4C93-96B2-12FF3713800C.jpeg

D0A3366D-8426-4920-99D1-A3520E68255B.jpeg

4690E511-5291-4617-9591-881D87F2B8DA.jpeg

87C3390E-F340-478B-A3C1-93AD753D5CDA.jpeg

C3DE7515-F89D-4689-8888-6C36E7F82C24.jpeg

Quite a lot of work to do on this one,but looking ok so far,see what you think and any ideas on how the terrain should look

the airfields need to be done,the kuban summer fields need retexture of color,the trees I do not really know? the towns and villages need new type houses etc (really need complete new textures for those)

anyone want to make?

Edited by meplanes1969
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

I WANT!!!!

Sorry.  Got carried away there.  That really does look good and exactly what I (and several hundred other folks) were wanting for some Faux Pacific action.

The colors look right and the treatment of the "Kuban Field Checkerboard" gives it a "Cultivated Pacific Farmland" look.

And were those trees around that airfield in the last screenshot?  Perfect!  An airfield cut out of the undergrowth.  A great Faux Pacific challenge.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE continue with this work.  You already have my eternal gratitude for your 'Full Snow' treatment of Kuban but this will garner the eternal gratitude of a lot more folks.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, meplanes1969 said:

he kuban map is by far the best map in great battles,in this retexture I just wanted to get more greener Asia type colors,plus some sort of paddy fields included,anyhow I no expert on what it should look like but enjoy making these

You have proven yourself talented enough to pull this off.  Thanks for working on this.👍

Edited by Beebop
  • Haha 1

Get the cities Asian names too? Or is this something a mod can't change?

V E R Y nice improvement.  You have done an excellent job is giving us the feel of the South Pacific without specific Pacific (catchy phrase eh?) textures.

I for one am quite satisfied at this point but knowing you, there will be further improvements.

+1000 from me! 🎖️

Posted (edited)

Well that's odd.  My "kubansummer_rangoon" no longer works.  I get the stock autumn textures.

I tried your "Kuban_W_full" and it works. 

So does the original "Kuban_W" .

Just not the "Rangoon" repaint.  :scratch_one-s_head:

* Yes, I'm using the Kuban Autumn map.

* Yes, Mods are on.  (I get the other winter repaints just fine)

* Yes, only one repaint at a time is loaded.

* Windows has not updated.

* The game has not updated.

I disabled the mod and ran the game and got the stock Autumn textures.

I shut down the computer and restarted...same thing.  Stock Autumn textures when running the "kubansummer_rangoon" mod.

I deleted the entire folder re-downloaded it, added the "industrial fix".  Still no rangoon textures.:dash:
It's only that repaint that isn't loading.

Any ideas?  It was working just this afternoon.

Edited by Beebop

Please put all the fixes and updates into the original posting zip. Otherwise sometimes it is difficult to put them in the correct places and order. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, meplanes1969 said:

you have choose kuban summer map 

Oh.  I was under the impression that all map repaints were used on the Autumn version because...well I don't know.  I guess since most repaints are Winter you use those brownish textures as a base?  OK.  let me use the Summer map and I'll Be Right Back.

Posted (edited)

:dance:

OK.  All working now.  Man I must have had one of those Senior Moments they talk about.  Although I still don't remember if I ever saw instructions to use the summer map. 

Anyway all is good now.  Your "industrial fix" did the trick and those "snow dusted" textures are gone.👍

Edited by Beebop
  • Thanks 1

I have posted this thread in the Pacific forum in case it may get seen :)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, meplanes1969 said:

I have done about as much as I can do with this map,I am pleased...

I think everyone is pleased as well with the extraordinary work you have done to transform Kuban into a Pacific Theatre.  You may think it is not prefect, and it may not be , but I for one, am loving flying over what I can now more easily imagine is a bit of the South Pacific.

Tigers-In-The-Pacific.jpg

Thank you for giving my imagination another place to fly.  :dance:

Edited by Beebop

On 8/13/2020 at 3:59 AM, meplanes1969 said:

Just started some Rangoon Burma type textures

This looks so good! Really vibrant  colours suit the Pacific theme, great work

• Haha 1

Need a way to get that opium from the Golden Triangle to Singapore?
Or are you on the hunt for those opium smugglers?

Here's the perfect plane for you.  An old rusty Ju-52 previously owned by France and sold to Southeast Asian Air, a local "airline/airfreight" company some say is secretly funded by the CIA.

SEAA-Ju-52.jpg

A perfect companion piece for this repaint.

Available HERE:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/epikwee3iagi3c7/BBop_SEAA_Ju52.dds/file

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, meplanes1969 said:

Will download this beauty later,glad you enjoy the Asia texture repaint,just need some trees that suit that area,any ideas?

Thanks.  I have a Central American Air "CIA" version and a "COIN Camo" version coming soon, also inspired by your re-texturing.

As for the trees, unless you can "make' trees and add them in as a mod(?)....however I think if you could "make" things for the game there would be things like static ships, more buildings, planes (there's no static La5 for instance, I wonder why?) being made by other talented artists around here. 

If you haven't tried already maybe some darker green trees to look more like the verdant jungle rain forests ala the Solomans and New Britain New Guinea maps in 1946?

And since we can't 'build' in open areas, some medium/medium large size dark tree forests scattered more densely throughout the wide open spaces?  Can you substitude the forested areas for some of the cultivated areas?  (which pass OK at the moment for rice type paddies.  Thanks for "greening" them). 

These trees work well enough for me right now.  I assure you that when I'm fighting for my life over the "jungle" I'm not really paying attention to how "exact" the trees are, LOL!

For now I am pleased we even have a "Pacific Area" to fly in thanks to your work.🥇

Agreed, a Storch would be an excellent addition.  Liaison planes played a large part in the prosecution of the war.

I absolutely know what our first believable  Pacific War target on this map will be...its currently being built as shown below : The Mitsibishi L2 D ...and I love this name,TABBY.

( A rose by any other name...)

Thanks for the variation on the map too!

L2D-5-300x172.jpg

A couple more skins for this re-texture, these operated by covert agencies;

Central American Air is a front airline for the CIA to get supplies to Pro Democracy rebels and move agents throughout Central America;

CAA.jpg

Available HERE:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bueo6lw9489inm5/BBop_CIA_Ju52.dds/file

This plane is a "privately owned" COunter INsurgency plane used by a  mercenary group secretly funded by the CIA for purposes similar to the CAA but in Southeast Asia;

COIN.jpg

Available HERE:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ln0sjrofec9qyz8/BBop_COIN_Ju52.dds/file

Edited by Beebop

On 9/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, meplanes1969 said:

the Nell bomber was used a lot by the Japanese,so maybe the plane that matches best someone could do a skin

"Faux Pacific" skins can be found here;

There are skins for several Japanese planes including a nice Ju-88 and a Bf-110 that make good hacks for period Nippon planes. 

At the bottom of the thread is a link to a "Pacific Bundle" I made where all the skins can be downloaded in a single fell swoop.

I'd fly such a campaign in a heartbeat.

Edited by Beebop

I’ve seen you tube videos of this mod and in it there was a Ju88 with a skin that made it look Japanese and and La-7 to look like a Zero. Where can you get these?  Also, meplanes, you have a picture in this thread with a “Zero” with red meatball markings. What kind of planes is it and were can we get the skin?

Deacon352nd. Click on the link in Beebop's post above yours 'Wanganui Wildact'

Edited by sammydee
spelling

That's right Deacon.  They're in my "Bundle" along with every plane I could find that had a "Pacific" theme.

I'll soon be adding two more 'Faux Pacific' planes in a day or two. 

A Generic Navy A-20:

A-20-Pacific-1.jpg

A Fictional USN P-38:
USN-P-38-2.jpg

Links to download within 24 hours.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

👍:clapping:😀🥇🏆

Looks very nice indeed. well done mate.

I want to improve my Burma map,this is not an easy task.

so far I have spent many hours getting the map (retexture) to its current state.

some parts of the map it looks feasible from high altitude and lower altitude,other parts of the map it looks a mess.

Believe me I have tried many configurations and none work,the problem is the 64 files that have to be lined up,if you just drop random textures together you get horrible lines and it looks awful ☹️ 

the med map is more easy to do as the landscape is more barren.

I could have gone down the line of repainting the current kuban textures to a greener shade but that would take lots of work and it would not really look like a Asia landscape.

putting in new textures they do not all colour match so some repainting so the textures blend together better .

If you mix and match the rice paddy square kuban fields textures they take a lot of lining up to be correct.

I have a few ideas to make the rice paddies more diverse and interesting but it will take a lot of work and time and banging my head on the pc desk

6E3F5B3D-29E3-4E9F-A26D-26B216701108.jpeg

BE752766-9E91-4838-AFBE-287163C105EA.jpeg

Also I need to get the reddish brown roads look from the pic above

anyone that’s wants to help with the repaint when I finish the map and have a template to work from

i want to get the map finished and lined up and configured first before repainting and changing colors.

so anyone who has lots of time spare in lockdowns feel free to help ( it’s good fun 🤩)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tyq8w9cajxeagoz/kubansummer_rangoon_beta1.zip/file

B9EF8842-5950-4083-875B-3B1B7B2D77C1.jpeg

4EC992F0-ADF9-4F1F-A0C5-0C1FB8CE30F4.jpeg

6662C691-770D-4A18-986E-A42FD25A8D19.jpeg

CF9459FD-ABF2-4EF4-8F1D-581A0103BE4D.jpeg

CC010825-EB6A-4DFC-B6B6-AB5B1A22FFBA.jpeg

D981652E-1042-45A4-9951-9FCBF76AB1C8.jpeg

The general template for the map is finished nearly,maybe just some small areas need colour matching.

what I need now is to blend some of the textures together,from high altitude some look wrong.

pit is a work in progress and I hope with some help the finished retexture map will look ok from all angles and altitudes.

it’s certainly looking better than the first upload,so getting there

Edited by meplanes1969
n

More testing today

kuban summer map

kerch area

clear,no haze

pics at altitude 10,000,6,000,1000 feet

AB6CD9E0-CE15-48FA-9E78-51A555E6535B.jpeg

31779BB9-73CD-46FA-B692-76D4508B45CE.jpeg

2AC04CB6-2209-4F59-8B76-29AB2630024A.jpeg

C6A2E18D-97A2-40B1-8CAA-58199E503804.jpeg

92DD1DB6-3505-4713-B497-2ABF6EA57B64.jpeg

29EF6F17-8248-4302-84E2-441127F9F5DA.jpeg

these are the only textures that work without the line issue at high altitude,I have not tested in all areas of the map

the coast,Kerch and mountain regions work ok,a few inner map areas are not so good but few people fly in those areas that much,they are ok much better than my first download,if you fly at 5000 feet and lower they are fine

With haze on all maps look more realistic

Edited by meplanes1969
  • Like 2

The roads etc need repaint more brown reddish tint.

maybe someone with more computer knowledge could figure it out,as I have had no success

Yes the earlier shots were too uniformly green. Needs the variation to look right.

Not 100% sure, more of a guess and I am no graphics artist but if you ungtp map3.gtp and in the landscape_kuban_s\roads folder the roadstextures.ini file looks like it refers to highways_512.dds and highways_1024.dds plus a crossroadaplhamask.dds and highwaysspecular_512.dds in landscape_kuban_s\roads\textures folder

from kuban summer the ini looks like

[textures]

RailRoad_Diffuse=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/railroads_512.dds
RailRoad_Specular=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/railroadsSpecular_512.dds
RailRoad_Emb=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/railroads_512_nasip.dds
RailRoad_Ties=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/railroads_512_shpali.dds
RailRoad_Rail=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/railroads_512_relsi.dds
HighWays_Alphamask=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/CrossRoadAlphaMask.dds
Trenchs_Diffuse=graphics/LANDSCAPE_Kuban_s/Roads/Textures/trench_512.dds

Shuffle4x=graphics/LANDSCAPE/Roads/Textures/bordershuffle.dds

HighWays_Diffuse=graphics/LANDSCAPE/Roads/Textures/highways_1024.dds
HighWays_Normals=graphics/LANDSCAPE/Roads/Textures/highways_NM_4096.dds

Confusingly there is also a landscape_summer folder with similar arrangement but different textures created by that ungtp operation. No idea if it applies to kuban or all maps as some kind of base default which is then overridden or not by specific config for individual maps. The highway textures are different although they are the same name. More like asphalt in look.

Possibly try changing the Kuban_s ones and see what happens

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
  • Haha 1