Jaws2002

Nvidia teases a 21 day countdown to unveil or release of the RTX 3000

54 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

RTX 3080Super/ti with 20GB of Vram and 3070Super/ti with 16GB of Vram confirmed by info from Gigabyte.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-20-gb-rtx-3070-16-gb-rtx-3060-8-gb-graphics-cards-confirmed/

This is definitely a more future proof product. 

I know it's just a guess, but what price point would these arrive at? If the 3090 is going to be $1500, would a 3080Ti be in the $1000-$1200 range? That would make it a tough choice between the two upper tier cards for me.

Just now, Rjel said:

I know it's just a guess, but what price point would these arrive at? If the 3090 is going to be $1500, would a 3080Ti be in the $1000-$1200 range? That would make it a tough choice between the two upper tier cards for me.

It depends what kind of memory they come with. If it comes with regular GDDR6, this shouldn't be over $1000. If it comes with this new higher bandwidth memory, then I don't know. There were leaks that the 16GB version of the 3070 is coming with regular GDDR6, not the X version, but not sure what the 20GB 3080 will use.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:01 AM, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

iL 2 Bos ,How many GB Vram do you use? what interests me

I did a test to measure that:

On 9/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Jaws2002 said:

It depends what kind of memory they come with. If it comes with regular GDDR6, this shouldn't be over $1000. If it comes with this new higher bandwidth memory, then I don't know. There were leaks that the 16GB version of the 3070 is coming with regular GDDR6, not the X version, but not sure what the 20GB 3080 will use.

The standard 3070 uses standard GDDR6, so I'd expect a 16Gb 3070 to retain the GDDR6, and a 3080 20Gb to use GDDR6X. Seems odd to nerf the 3080 by using slower memory. 

F5, out of stock, F5 out of stock, F5, add to cart, sorry - this site cannot load, F5, add to cart, sorry - we had to cancel your order

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sevenless said:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 reviewed, only 10% faster than RTX 3080?

Hmm, 3070 might indeed be the best bang for the buck then if you ain´t after 4K or VR.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-gaming-performance-review-leaks-out

That review is amazing then. It has been done with all games in 4K!

What it is surprising is that the factor is the same regardless of RTX ON or OFF.

So what is wrong with NVIDIA to put double price for only 10%?

@chiliwili69 If those numbers bear out, I'm wondering if the 30 series has passed the point of diminishing returns of parallelism? 

I think the review embargo should lift tomorrow morning and we will see official numbers. I'm hoping we can see some tests with people in the Il-2 community soon too. What I'm hearing from the other flight sims haven't been very encouraging. 😕

So, I managed to get a backorder placed for the Zotac 3080 with CDW. It's going to be a long wait, as they are saying right now that the backorders won't be fulfilled until November or December. 😮 

I have been planning on holding out for when I could get a 3090, specifically EVGA FTW3 model.

This gives me some pause though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3090-out-september-24/

For 4K gaming, the GeForce RTX 3090 is about 10-15% faster on average than the GeForce RTX 3080, and up to 50% faster than the TITAN RTX.

Beginning to wonder if I should wait for a 3080 with a little more vram than the initial 10 GB ones.

Heck my 2080 Ti has 11GB. Would like to get one around 20 GB.

Oh decisions decisions...

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have been planning on holding out for when I could get a 3090, specifically EVGA FTW3 model.

This gives me some pause though.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3090-out-september-24/

Beginning to wonder if I should wait for a 3080 with a little more vram than the initial 10 GB ones.

Heck my 2080 Ti has 11GB. Would like to get one around 20 GB.

Oh decisions decisions...

I am with you here , either a 3080Ti (I assume they make one) or a 3090.

Want to see the reviews of how good is for VR.

I think I have about talked myself into a 3080 card instead of the 3090, preferably EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

Just too big a difference in price versus small gain in performance it seems. My only concern would be the 10 GB of Vram, heck my 2080 Ti has 11 GB.

Who knows though, will see if I can snag anything tomorrow. Not holding much hope though and it is quite ok if I can not.

Would certainly not hurt me to wait a bit.

55 minutes ago, dburne said:

It's tricky. I definitely want an upgrade, but I know intellectually I should wait.

Memory Express, a local provider, says they are working through their order backlog but they are only getting 100 cards every day or two days, so they have at least a month of back orders. AMD have their event late October which may change the landscape a bit. The tech youtubers that I respect are all saying "wait two months" if you can, because then we'll at least know what the AMD cards offer (maybe only on paper, but we'll know something) and the initial rush for the 3080 will be over.

And maybe I should wait even longer and get the Reverb G2 in the meantime. "Meantime" LOL that thing's not arriving anytime soon either...

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I think I have about talked myself into a 3080 card instead of the 3090, preferably EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

Just too big a difference in price versus small gain in performance it seems. My only concern would be the 10 GB of Vram, heck my 2080 Ti has 11 GB.

Who knows though, will see if I can snag anything tomorrow. Not holding much hope though and it is quite ok if I can not.

I'm thinking the same thing.  I'll grab a 3080 if I can and if they come out with a better one I'm sure I can flip it for minimal loss.  The 3090 just isn't looking very impressive unless you are actually doing the 8k thing or if you need the memory for work.  I'm not going to buy an AMD card, I just don't like their software.

Edited by Bernard_IV

My last Radeon was a 9700Pro, made by ATI, back when ATI was a Canadian company. 

This time I'll see how will play out. I wouldn't mind an AMD card if the performance is there. 

Edited by Jaws2002

Definitely not going for a 3090 card. Too big a price difference for too little a gain sounds like.

Going to just hold out for a while till I get snag an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

Maybe by the time my Reverb G2 gets here I will be able to get my hands on one.

Edited by dburne

3 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

Steve at Gamers Nexus is tearing Nvidia up for their RTX 3090 8k gaming claim.😅

https://youtu.be/Xgs-VbqsuKo

"The 3090 is a workstation card."

(someone waves a wad of cash at him)

"It's a ... workstation card."

(more cash waved)

"It's a...." (Steve takes the cash and pockets it) ".....gaming card."

Man, I nearly cried with laughter.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

"The 3090 is a workstation card."

(someone waves a wad of cash at him)

"It's a ... workstation card."

(more cash waved)

"It's a...." (Steve takes the cash and pockets it) ".....gaming card."

Man, I nearly cried with laughter.

That whole video was great. I liked when he was talking about framerates and kept gesturing for more money until he got enough to call 30.4 FPS "smooth".

Then he spends the entire review basically saying: "This would be fine for a workstation, but Nvidia made this about gaming so I have to show exactly how stupid their marketing department is." Legendary.

...and watching the Linus video, it seems the 3090 drivers have certain high-end/professional optimizations switched off so they don't cannibalize their workstation card sales.

It's bizarre. They're really saying it's a content-creators card. For 2x the price of the 3080. That kinda sorta does "8K" if you squint.

20 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

...and watching the Linus video, it seems the 3090 drivers have certain high-end/professional optimizations switched off so they don't cannibalize their workstation card sales.

It's bizarre. They're really saying it's a content-creators card. For 2x the price of the 3080. That kinda sorta does "8K" if you squint.

"Hey, marketing department, I have a  4X4 pickup truck for you to sell."
"Awesome, lets market it as a coupe and screw up the transmission so it has no towing capacity!"

On 8/10/2020 at 6:42 PM, dburne said:

Oh just great, between a 3080 Ti and Reverb G2 around the same time I will be having a big pain in my hip.

I will hold off for an EVGA FTW3 card though so maybe that will buy me some time.

Yeah not really sure why but the prices went up drastically with the 20x series of cards. I paid a lot more for my 2080 Ti than I did my 1080 Ti.

My only saving grace will be if I grab a 3080 Ti fairly quickly should be able to sell my 2080 Ti at decent price and recoup some of the cost.

Why must you  have a 3080ti?