Nvidia teases a 21 day countdown to unveil or release of the RTX 3000

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

And the 3090 will draw more power than the dialysis machine you have to get too.

I have a messed up kidney that works at about 30% filtration rate. Do you thunk they would take it?

🤣

• Sad 1
31 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

I have a messed up kidney that works at about 30% filtration rate. Do you thunk they would take it?

🤣

Just don't mention it when you send it, maybe the warranty will cover it

• Haha 1

I will be waiting to see what EVGA brings to the table.

Unfortunately I know I am going to have to plunk down some serious cash.

I plan to get the best I can with what I am comfortable with spending.

My current 2080 Ti has 11 GB of ram, I am going to want more this time around.

12 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will be waiting to see what EVGA brings to the table.

Unfortunately I know I am going to have to plunk down some serious cash.

I plan to get the best I can with what I am comfortable with spending.

I will wait for AMD's release. If RDNA2 is better than this 3080, Nvidia will release a competing card (3080Ti/Super with 16-20GB of ram).

Right now, for me, the 3090 is too expensive and the 3080 has too little memory.  None of this make sense.

17 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

I will wait for AMD's release. If RDNA2 is better than this 3080, Nvidia will release a competing card (3080Ti/Super with 16-20GB of ram).

Right now, for me, the 3090 is too expensive and the 3080 has too little memory.  None of this make sense.

I expect Nvidia will have a 3080 Ti not long after official launch. I will be surprised if they do not.

2 hours ago, dburne said:

I expect Nvidia will have a 3080 Ti not long after official launch. I will be surprised if they do not.

If AMD's cards can't beat this 10GB 3080, i think we won't see the 3080Ti for at least six monts. Nvidia will try to trick as many potential customers not happy about the 10GB 3080, into buying this 3090 , that looks like a re branded TITAN.

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Same here. I have 11GB on the 1080Ti that i bought in March 2017. 

There's talk that this new cards have some very efficient memory compression and memory controller, so they could use the available memory a lot more efficiently, but if that's the case, why did they go with 24GB for the 3090?:scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by Jaws2002
1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

I wonder if it would fit in my case. I have a big box, for an E-ATX board. But looking how big this monster is...

There will be a bunch of flavors made, for both this cards, from a lot of vendors, so i think you should be able to find one that fits.

I remember trying to squeeze that dual GPU , EVGA GTX 590 monster into a midsize tower back in the day.. Fun times. :lol:

Edited by Jaws2002

About AMD, I do see to much promises like the whole HMB range of cards, high performance for $400,- crap and after one year still no 5900XT. I’m not going to wait for AMD, if the 3080 is normally available, guess around  October, I’m going for this card. First results seems that the RTX3080 does have more a less the same performance as the RTX2080ti but with improved RT.  While I do not care about the improved RT, so incase the 3080 is reaching the €1000,- guess an secondhand RTX2080ti could also be a cheap alternative. 

Still 2:30h untill the announcement by Nvidia, pfff, can not wait. 

Watching the live stream. Did I understand that fan pass-through correctly on the 3080 - that it will now blow air up into the case? Which looks to me to direct it over the ram and next to the CPU cooler, where the CPU will now suck in the hot air exhaust from the gpu?

12 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Watching the live stream. Did I understand that fan pass-through correctly on the 3080 - that it will now blow air up into the case? Which looks to me to direct it over the ram and next to the CPU cooler, where the CPU will now suck in the hot air exhaust from the gpu?

I leave the side off my case. And put a box fan blowing on it when running. No dust issues. Just cover it with a towel when its not running.

RTX 3090: 24GB GGDR6X, $1499, claims 36 TFlops shader performance.

RTX 3080: 10GB GDDR6X, $699, claims "up to twice as fast" as 2080, 30 TFlops shader performance.

RTX 3070: 8GB GGDR6, $499, "faster than 2080ti", 20 TFlops shader performance.

I think I'm going to need to see benchmarks on this one, but clearly the 3070 and 3080 are good upgrades if they perform as advertised. Big question is whether the 3090 is worth paying more than double the price of the 3080.

9 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

RTX 3090: 24GB GGDR6X, $1499, claims 36 TFlops shader performance.

RTX 3080: 10GB GDDR6X, $699, claims "up to twice as fast" as 2080, 30 TFlops shader performance.

RTX 3070: 8GB GGDR6, $499, "faster than 2080ti", 20 TFlops shader performance.

I think I'm going to need to see benchmarks on this one, but clearly the 3070 and 3080 are good upgrades if they perform as advertised. Big question is whether the 3090 is worth paying more than double the price of the 3080.

With the 3090 should be good for a few years. If you look at it that way.

Edited by CDRSEABEE
3 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

With the 3090 should be good for a few years. If you look at it that way.

If the 3080 is actually twice as fast as a 2080 then you could spend less than half the amount and STILL be good for a few years. I suspect the 3090 is going to end up as a bragging rights card, unless you have a top of the line processor already you'll probably never see any better performance than the 3080 or maybe even the 3070 can give.

The 3070 being faster than the 2080TI is the really interesting bit, seeing as 2080TIs go for north of $1000 (I'm seeing prices starting at $1300.00 on Newegg ATM) then having a card that beats that for $500 is extremely attractive.  

3090 is compared to Titan so i guess it's the new Titan, rebranded, to catch more gamers. 

I'll wait for the reviews and benchmarks.

The 3080 is priced ok. If it had four more gigs of ram i would buy it on day one. 

I'll wait for AMD and maybe Nvidia's response.

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

If the 3080 is actually twice as fast as a 2080 then you could spend less than half the amount and STILL be good for a few years. I suspect the 3090 is going to end up as a bragging rights card, unless you have a top of the line processor already you'll probably never see any better performance than the 3080 or maybe even the 3070 can give.

The 3070 being faster than the 2080TI is the really interesting bit, seeing as 2080TIs go for north of $1000 (I'm seeing prices starting at $1300.00 on Newegg ATM) then having a card that beats that for $500 is extremely attractive.  

You think so? Even with Gen 2 VR? Also, everyone is saying that the 3080ti will have more RAM. Not sure if it is needed though.

Also, Will IL2 benefit from the Ray tracing and DLSS?

Edited by CDRSEABEE
37 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

You think so? Even with Gen 2 VR? Also, everyone is saying that the 3080ti will have more RAM. Not sure if it is needed though.

Also, Will IL2 benefit from the Ray tracing and DLSS?

I think with VR you're always going to want as much power as the GPU can give. Even with today's 2080ti you can't run IL2 at ultra graphics, 4xMSAA, 90 FPS and 120% supersample and that's on a modest headset like the Valve Index. Reverb G2 needs even more horsepower. Given that new GPUs come out every couple of years I think it's unlikely anyone could really buy a 3090 and feel like they are "set for a few years".

I doubt IL2 will implement ray tracing or DLSS unless those technologies become very standard across new DirectX (or similar) graphics APIs, and the team is doing a major graphics overhaul. DLSS specifically could be really bad for spotting in a flight sim, although you could also imagine it would be great at filling in details on larger / closer aircraft.

I watched a "review" that said the 3080 will be twice as powerful as a 2080ti for about $700US, and the 3070 will also be faster than a 2080ti for even less money.

I wonder if the stores will still try to pimp 2080ti cards at $1000US? ($2000+Cdn.)

In my European country pricing never works like in the US. They will sell stock at old prices and the 3000 series prices will be way above the prices suggested by Jensen! 

Here prices for 2080 Ti are around 1500 euro, up to 1700 usd. I guess the ASUS strix 3090 will easily sell for 2000 usd! 

That is why I don't care much how expensive the new series goes... We are used to fund the government first and pay dearly for every new item anyway. 

Edited by simfan2015
29 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I watched a "review" that said the 3080 will be twice as powerful as a 2080ti for about $700US, and the 3070 will also be faster than a 2080ti for even less money.

I wonder if the stores will still try to pimp 2080ti cards at $1000US? ($2000+Cdn.)

All of them will do it.  Gouge away.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
3 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

All of them will do it.  Gouge away.

But one would think (hope) that only an informed buyer/nerd would shell out for a 2080ti. When that informed buyer/nerd sees that a 3080 will crush a 2080ti for far less money, you'd like to think the piece would drop.

On the other hand, Amazon list the i7-6700K at...  $515.  :biggrin:

That's $100 more than I just paid for a 3700X. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Spoiler alert...no. It never is with these things.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Hmmm..... The review posted in this forum (By CDRSEEBEE) suggested that the 3080 would be about 1.8 times the performance of a standard 2080 GPU depending on the game.

The 2080 comparision card results was not for a Super or a Ti card, so nope not twice as powerful as either of them (but still an improvement).

Will have to wait for some proper test results to find out how much better the 3080 is.

My  Power supply fails the recommended 750 watt rating, damn!

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Review poster name added

The thing I'm wondering most about is how they will scale with Direct X 11 titles, like Il-2,and the other major flight and flight-like games, especially in VR. 

While the 2080 TI did end up performing significantly better than the 1080 TI in DirectX12 titles, I've noticed that the benchmark differences are much smaller for the Dx11 ones. (even Fire Strike Ultra vs TimeSpy Extreme we see a big gain in Dx12, and a smaller one in DX11).