Nvidia teases a 21 day countdown to unveil or release of the RTX 3000

It looks like I finally, finally! will have an RTX 3080 in my hands by the beginning of the year - courtesy of my same friend who tipped me off about Best Buy having 5600X CPUs in stock. Of course, Amazon could end up cancelling the order, so this may all be for nothing, but we'll see.

Let's put these conspiracy theories to rest already:

How a Bot Bought Dozens of RTX 3080 Units Before Consumers Could Grab Them

It's all about adapting scripts for other highly sought-after items (like sneakers) and pointing them at things like GPUs, CPUs, video game consoles, etc. Anyone with a bit of programming knowledge can pull it off.

Edited by LukeFF
15 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Some people are very defensive when criminality is spoken of.

It's like you can smell the rats.

ROFL, what? C'mon, give us all here at least one credible source that says AMD and Nvidia are in league with these scalpers. If not, until then you're just shouting into the wind.

Edited by LukeFF
Just now, LukeFF said:

ROFL, what? C'mon, give us all here at least one credible source that says AMD and Nvidia are in league with these scalpers. If not, until then you're just shouting into the wind.

You're a douchebag and I don't want to speak to you. 

I suggest you ignore me and I'll ignore you.

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

You're a douchebag and I don't want to speak to you. 

Wow, that was really rude and uncalled for. I don't know what your beef with him is, but it doesn't belong out here in public. 

2 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

Scalping should be banned. Those "resellers" are nothing but scum. I hope there there will be some ways to prevent this shit in future. Both legal and technical.

It's called meeting the demand.

We're not in the Soviet Union anymore.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

So far the only demand that is met is of the scumbag scalpers🤷‍♂️

Yep for the most part. I am sure if I did not take advantage of the EVGA wait que system I would still be trying to get a card.

An AIB 3080 costs between 950€ to 1050€ from German retailers. 

That's $1050 to $1150 US.

Those are the prices, that's the market.

3080ti will come in April or May, and be at 1200, like the previous 2080ti. And it'll be incredibly hard to get. Please don't get fooled by watching the fake YouTube videos into believing it would go for less than that, or any earlier. I've even seen someone allegedly "benchmarking" a 3080ti. Other YouTubers constantly clickbait with "Leaks".

It's BS. It's how they get clicks.

Unfortunately.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

From what I've been hearing, the nVidia 3080 MSRP was only achievable through vertical integration. Sounds like the required heat sink is pretty expensive to make. I'm also seeing the same thing on big Navi pricing, as well. 

Separately I'm seeing projections that prices on everything are expected to rise quite a bit next year. They're talking about slack demand from the last year, but that also seems to be coupled with projections of stagnant wage growth, so, it's probably more along the lines of the debts of the past year coming due. We will see. 

On the hardware benchmark leaks, those are normal, and always should be taken with a grain of salt. Some or outright false, some are engineering samples that may or may not be ruining to the final spec, and some are "leaks" in as much as they are hype bait dangled out in front of the community. 

At this point, though, it's pretty safe to assume that its somewhere between a 3080 and a 3090 (which isn't that big a space to be) and will have 20Gb of ram. 

That said, I may end up simply black listing nVidia entirely for this generation, after what they pulled on Hardware Unboxed. Basically they blacklisted them for "not sufficiently focusing or ray tracing performance" and would "reconsider it if their editorial direction changed" 

Which was stupid, because I was leaning towards the 3080 20gb, because of its Easter performance at high resolutions, and because I was interested in trying DLSS/raytraced titles, but *really* not interested in funding that noise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/12/2020 at 9:07 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's called meeting the demand.

We're not in the Soviet Union anymore.

Something being legal doesn't make it moral or magically prevents it from being despicable.

Exploiting child labour in poor countries can be all legal and makes very much sense from capitalistic profitability point of view. No need to aspire for "Soviet ideology" (nice hyperbole btw) to have valid reservations about it. For the same reasons "meeting the demand" is not some magic trick to make any kind of (economic) behaviour automatically legal, moral or acceptable. Call me a communist if you (apparently) want, but I would say, fortunately so, comrade 😉.

Edited by JG1_Greif
changed word order for added clarity
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

This type of 'trade' should indeed be illegal. In my country it is illegal to buy concert tickets and sell those to others. Imho it Should be the same here (in some way... but how can this scalping practice be verified!???) 

The only way you're going to stamp out scalping is the retailers putting better prevention mechanisms in place to prevent the bots from buying up all these cards at once. Until then, the people coding these bots are going to be one step ahead of everyone else.

But even if the problem of scalping is dealt with, you're still going to have people listing cards for sale on eBay that are higher than their MSRP. For instance, a friend of mine has bought several new Ryzen CPUs and a few Nvidia and AMD cards without using bots and has then turned around and sold them for a higher price on eBay. Like Fenris said, that's meeting demand.

Edited by LukeFF
21 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

But even if the problem of scalping is dealt with

It is only dealt with if production meets demand. As long as companies prefer headlines over actual distribution quantity, you can always re-sell those product with the markup demand allows. Scalpers are a mere symptom, they are not the disease. If people just decided to buy a 30XX or 6X00 card from summer 2021 on, those scalpers would be dead at once.

"I hate my scumbag dealer, but I need another shot now!"

37 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

But even if the problem of scalping is dealt with, you're still going to have people listing cards for sale on eBay that are higher than their MSRP. For instance, a friend of mine has bought several new Ryzen CPUs and a few Nvidia and AMD cards without using bots and has then turned around and sold them for a higher price on eBay. Like Fenris said, that's meeting demand.

There should be a law or regulation that mandates Amazon and Ebay and the likes or generally any retailers to at least indicate the intended factory and average prices of products in categories like GPU's/CPUs which are only produced by a handful of companies. And for anything else that makes sense. Use those bots for something good. Shouldn't be a big deal. People could still buy them but this may cut back on this kind of scalping we see.

52 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

For instance, a friend of mine has bought several new Ryzen CPUs and a few Nvidia and AMD cards without using bots and has then turned around and sold them for a higher price on eBay. Like Fenris said, that's meeting demand.

No it's not, it's CREATING a (false) demand and is perpetrated by low-life parasite scum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

It is only dealt with if production meets demand. As long as companies prefer headlines over actual distribution quantity, you can always re-sell those product with the markup demand allows. Scalpers are a mere symptom, they are not the disease. If people just decided to buy a 30XX or 6X00 card from summer 2021 on, those scalpers would be dead at once.

"I hate my scumbag dealer, but I need another shot now!"

For the most part I agree, but it's still incumbent on retailers to have adequate protections in place to combat the bots. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

For the most part I agree, but it's still incumbent on retailers to have adequate protections in place to combat the bots. 

Agree on that. But as long as the act of doing so is still essentially a liability to the seller, the scalper will be ahead of the game because running such scenes is an asset to himself.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, TWC_Sp00k said:

Got my 3080 today, lucky glance at the internet. Was watching it like a hawk for 2 months

Yeah, I figure I’ll wait until I have a similar circumstance. I’m done checking every day, and multiple times each day to boot.

(cpu and gpu both)

Over the weekend I saw nVidia 3090s were as much as $3000+ on Amazon. Certainly out of my price range. While I can envy anyone who's got the wherewithal to purchase a new card at that price, I still can't imagine needing it that badly. My game runs very well on my "little" 1660Ti, even in campaign mode. It might not do VR but that's not where I'm at right now either. I'd much sooner wait until the market smooths out a little and grab a very fast card and still have money left over for other upgrades. Or groceries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It is interesting to see that in Australia the RTX 3090 variants are still freely available and in stock. Appears that most local buyers will not come at the good old retail price of AUD $3,000 plus. Based on the U.S. dollar exchange rate they should be in the $2100 - 2300 price range :(

The RTX 3080, in comparision, is as rare as hens teeth and is on backorder to who knows when.  Still is a AUD $1500+ hit to the hip pocket.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
punctuation.
40 minutes ago, Bernard_IV said:

Getting pretty cagey out here.  Just get in the EVGA cue and keep enjoying your older graphics cards.  You will get one some time!  I got one, it is not life changing!

Yep that is how I got my 3090 card.

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep that is how I got my 3090 card.

3090 is not that hard to find. Canada computers had your card in stock for the last two weeks. Now i noticed it's out of stock. They still have the Asus Tuf Gaming and a few MSI 3090 variants.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=181413

On the other hand i never seen a 3080 in stock.

Edited by Jaws2002
2 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

3090 is not that hard to find. Canada computers had your card in stock for the last two weeks. Now i noticed it's out of stock. They still have the Asus Tuf Gaming and a few MSI 3090 variants.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=181413

On the other hand i never seen a 3080 in stock.

Yeah but when I got mine like 5 weeks ago they were literally nowhere to be found except scalpers.

Very grateful for EVGA taking care of it's customers.