Nvidia teases a 21 day countdown to unveil or release of the RTX 3000

4 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

Nvidia bundles the new Call of Duty with their 3080 and 3090 cards.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-bundles-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-with-geforce-rtx-3080-and-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

Competition rocks.

It doesn't look like they're giving away anything...you probably won't be able to get a card by Dec.10.

I wonder if the scalpers are getting their bots ready for AMD? 

42 минуты назад, Jaws2002 сказал:

the internet takes no prisoners  🤣

Oh! Lisa in the Moscow metro.😁

26 минут назад, Stolle сказал:

It doesn't look like they're giving away anything...you probably won't be able to get a card by Dec.10.

I got an unwanted Watch Dogs: Legion. It would be better if they were handing out the Hurricane.😅

27 минут назад, Stolle сказал:

I wonder if the scalpers are getting their bots ready for AMD? 

Considering that usually miners have always liked AMD more, I think those who want to buy at the start will have to be even more agile.🤠

Sorry friends, but I beg to differ. I do agree the AMD 6000 series turned out better then most people thought (including me). However, most games are still dx11 or Ansel. For those games I more than expect Nvidia to rule. I predict that for our beloved Sim titles Nvidia will rule supreme and prove the more stable solution. The AMD showcased titles and I suspect testing methods are no real world scenarios. I hope to be proven very wrong about all but I still prefer the RTX 3080, even knowing pricing and specs. Another more important reason for my choice is Cuda support (a. o. my video and still photography work flows) , ray tracing performance, dlss and tensor core AI processing for which Nvidia is the better and sometimes even our only option! 

But as always YMMV

If Ampere 3000 cards are so much more powerful than AMD's offering, why did Nvidia cancel the 16GB 3070 and 20GB 3080 and it's scrambling to design the TI versions so soon?

That should be an indication that AMD is not just a second rate card, anymore.

Edited by Jaws2002

Despite being currently a Nvidia user ( GTX 1080 Ti ) I have owned for a very long time also AMD/ATI video cards. Frankly said I consider the actual prices of the video cards beyond crazy.

Some stuffs somehow should be took into consideration before buying one of these cards, IMHO:

- The image quality of the Nvidia cards is superior to the AMD/ATI ones. Both are good but the Nvidia one is definitely better.

- AMD/ATI cards have been always affected by one major issue ( That brought me to leave them ).  Very often they generate artifacts in games, while Nvidia don't.

- Nvidia current prices vs WW2 Flight Sims: The fun fact is that for less moneys I can go to Germany and fly the real thing... LOL....

Edited by SKG210_Molders
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm looking at the $500 cards (which still is high, should be $300-$400), not the $800-$1000+ cards. The end result of all these announcements is I'm upgrading my i5-7500 system to an i5-10600 system (4 cores / 4 threads / 3.4GHz to 6 cores / 12 threads / 4.1GHz), reusing my memory (so just CPU and motherboard), and will revisit the video card in the spring when the cards are actually available.

1 hour ago, SKG210_Molders said:

- The image quality of the Nvidia cards is superior to the AMD/ATI ones. Both are good but the Nvidia one is definitely better.

Currently running a 1080.

I’ve done some looking and at least with current cards, I’m not so sure you’re correct. At least not to any consistent degree and from what I see, it can go either way depending on the game or app.

When it does go one way or the other, the difference is generally minuscule and unlikely to be noticed unless you’re running both sided by side and looking for differences.

2 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

If Ampere 3000 cards are so much more powerful than AMD's offering, why did Nvidia cancel the 16GB 3070 and 20GB 3080

Maybe, but I highly doubt these companies would not have industrial spies in Taiwan assembly lines, maybe even the development departments ! Nvidia as well as AMD most probably knew, before we did, what the 'competing' next gen cards would be capable off !

AMD is here to stay, that's for sure now, although it might take yet another round/gen before AMD can do with their 6000 series what they did with Zen 3 (to intel) !

If the green team opens the oven again(I expect sooner rather than later) hot winds will be blowing once again in AMD's direction.  

Edited by simfan2015

Historically when one or the other loses the edge, it stays that way for a bit.

The company with the advantage doesn’t usually sit on their hands, (unless it’s Intel over the past 6 years)

Actually more like 9 years.

31 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Pretty interesting video from buildzoid about Big Navi.

lol - he’s all over the place.

Increasingly I’m having a harder time justifying the vanilla 6800 when I’m already going to be near 2k for this build anyway. Seems silly to leave any performance or future proofing on the table for $70 at that point - so 6800xt.

I have the advantage that I make some side coin with my rig, so the household CFO is easier to placate in this matter. If it was purely a play rig - forget it.

1 hour ago, kestrel79 said:

I'll wait to see how they do in flight sims  and VR instead of these mainstream games before deciding. But this does look promising.

I wouldn't expect any revelations in that regard. Writing is on the wall and then some I think.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:06 AM, SKG210_Molders said:

- Nvidia current prices vs WW2 Flight Sims: The fun fact is that for less moneys I can go to Germany and fly the real thing... LOL....

Tempting that, though I'm not sure I'd actually fit in a 109...

• Haha 2
On 11/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, Gambit21 said:

I have the advantage that I make some side coin with my rig, so the household CFO is easier to placate in this matter. If it was purely a play rig - forget it.

Plus, depending on your taxation situation, you might be able to count it as a capital expense and get a capital cost allowance for it. I have a couple of side hustles and get some business-use-of-home deductions and so on. (What you probably can't do is treat the PC as an "office supplies" expense where the whole of it would be tax deductible -- trying that might get your claim rejected.)

I am not an accountant or tax advisor. Do not take tax advice from random people on the Internet. That includes me. 😉

• Upvote 1

My only deviation from nVidia cards was a Voodoo 5500 a long, long time ago. I haven't any real devotion to any manufacturer, regardless of the product. The new AMD cards look impressive so far. Then again, so did the nVidia cards before they were launched. Would one of you who has used both AMD and nVidia compare your impressions of their anti-aliasing feature? Are they comparable? Personally, image quality is very important to me. I'll trade some FPS for a smooth picture. Jaggies kill my immersion in games quicker than anything. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Voyager said:

Tempting that, though I'm not sure I'd actually fit in a 109...

Thanks, God, they have also two-seater training Spitfires there :)

Me in a Bf 109 seat = Aircraft renamed B-52 Fortress LOL :)

Edited by SKG210_Molders

More rumors about the upcoming Nvidia rtx 3080Ti.

A pretty reliable leaker posted the potential specs of the next 3080ti, that Nvidia is trying to rush in.

It's basically the full 3090 die and core count, mated with 20GB of GDDR6x, tuned at the memory speed and total power of the 3080.

Performance should be somwhere in between 3080 and 3090.

https://videocardz.com/newz/kopite7kimi-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rumored-to-feature-10496-cuda-cores-and-20gb-gddr6x-memory

It's just a rumor at this point, but it remains to be seen when it comes and at what price.

It is pretty hard for Nvidia to match AMD's price, with more expensive memory, a more expensive to implement wide bus and the lower yields they get from Samsung's 8nm process. 

Edited by Jaws2002

From an emotional perspective, I'd love to get a new card in time for the holiday season. Intellectually though I know January is going to be a much better time to buy stuff. Actually intellectually I should just stop looking at hardware at all and not buy anything until my current stuff falls apart...

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Actually intellectually I should just stop looking at hardware at all and not buy anything until my current stuff falls apart...

A feat I myself have managed but once since I started this whole business back with my IBM PC Junior. 4.77mhz processor, 64k of memory!

8 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

I came up in the EVGA cue and I've got a 3080 XC3 Ultra on the way.  I signed up immediately after the launch bummer and am finally up.

I should be coming up shortly for my 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

Bernard_IV, that's awesome! It seems there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I've been in the cue since H-Hour for a Evga 3080 as well as notifications for an ASUS 3080 on several fronts and had about given up hope. Though at this point I may just go for an AMD 6800XT  as I just ordered a new Ryzen 5800X this morning, and according to the popular computer press out there they're supposed to work very well together. I just want to fly MSFS at a decent FPS and resolution,........;-)

I do have a record with them on my account buying and registering several of their cards so I don't know if that played into it.  I sold my 1080ti about 3 months ago planning to make this switch.  Really pumped to get back into it.

Edited by Bernard_IV
9 minutes ago, dburne said:

My turn in the EVGA Que came up this afternoon.

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra is officially on order!

Should have no later than Monday.

Please bench old vs new! (I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually do this yet with the 3000-series). And congrats on the new card.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, dburne said:

My turn in the EVGA Que came up this afternoon.

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra is officially on order!

Should have no later than Monday.

Remember us when g2 arrives....to report performance (3090) and overall impression moving from rift s!

4 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Remember us when g2 arrives....to report performance (3090) and overall impression moving from rift s!

:good:

Will do.

9 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Please bench old vs new! (I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually do this yet with the 3000-series). And congrats on the new card.

Thanks - what bench?

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, dburne said:

:good:

Will do.

Thanks - what bench?

we really need a track to do the benchmarks. There's so much new stuff showing up this days.

I think we need a track for CPU and one for GPU, to standardize everything. 

And congrats for unleashing that monster on the poor Il-2.:salute:

Edited by Jaws2002
Just now, Jaws2002 said:

we really need a track to do the benchmarks. There's so much new stuff showing up this days.

I think we need a track for CPU and one for GPU, to standardize everything.

Well I will just need a quick and easy bench to compare GPU.

Once that beast gets here I am gonna want it in this machine in a hurry lol.

Just now, dburne said:

Well I will just need a quick and easy bench to compare GPU.

Once that beast gets here I am gonna want it in this machine in a hurry lol.

Basically since there is no built-in benchmark, you need to record a short in-game track, then play it back under controlled conditions to measure FPS. This is actually a useful thing for you to be able to do, since you can use it to tune graphics settings once your 3090 is installed (as well as compare same settings with 2080ti vs 3090, to show the actual perf difference for the card).

Chili has a complete guide, but basically:

1. Start a 1 vs bombers quick mission near Remagen. Hit 'record' when you've found the bombers and are about to blow them up.
  2. Do exciting stuff, shoot the bombers, chase stragglers, fly close to the ground or near the city, etc.
  3. Stop recording after 2 minutes. Now you have a "test track" that you can use as a benchmark.
  4. Install Fraps. Set Fraps benchmark to be a 2 minute timer, set the hotkey for "start benchmark" to P (same as in-game unpause button). Set Fraps to record Frame Times as well as overall results.
  5. Start IL2 in VR. Load your benchmark track.
  6. Press H to turn the hud off.
  7. Take off your headset and place it on your seat. Hit hotkey to recenter view.
  8. Press P to unpause and simultaneously start Fraps benchmark.
  9. Wait 2 minutes.
  10. Fraps will save a few files, frapslog.txt with coarse-grained data and a frametimes-xxxx.csv which is each individual frame timing.

Once you have this set up it only takes ~2 minutes to do steps 5-9 and run a new benchmark. To compare two GPUs you need to disable ASW or any other frame interpolation, and then crank the settings or supersample high enough that you're not hitting the 90/80hz cap for the headset. You actually want to challenge the card pretty hard. Then you can see the difference between your 2080ti and the 3090. The 3090 might be up to twice as quick as the 2080ti, so you actually want to target 40 FPS for the 2080ti benchmark. Then when you swap in the 3090 you won't hit the framerate cap and can really compare the two.

Once you have the 3090 and are done comparing it to the 2080ti, you can use the benchmark track for tuning. Set your supersample and other settings to reasonable values, re-enable ASW (or however you usually run the game) and then re-bench. The Fraps frame times CSV can be plotted with a tool so you can actually see whether you're hitting a constant 80/90 FPS. Then adjust settings to your liking, and you can always re-bench to ensure "yes I am fully frame capped at all times". And because the benchmark track is low-level near a city, it's hopefully a worst-case and if you're getting good FPS on that you'll get good FPS for 'real' gaming.

This became a bit of a long one, sorry.

EVGA is coming through for their dedicated customers yet again.  Best customer service in the industry, though I think ASUS makes a bit better products.  I was starting to think I'd have to go through the winter with no card.  😓  I was thisclose to buying a sclalped one on ebay.