Looking for Logitech G940 Throttle Wiring Cable/Loom replacement

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can help, I'm having the common issue with my g940 throttle where the cable between the PCB and the throttle head is broken. I have tried removing the screw but that seemed to make things worse, i have also tried gluing the cable down and some other basic fixes, But it looks as though the only option is to replace it.

So i was wondering if anyone out there has a replacement that I could buy, or knows where I might get one?

Thank you in advance.

I think you'll have a hard time finding something, honestly. 

How handy are you with a soldering iron? (Or do you have friends who can solder?) What I did (with some part of my G940, I don't remember what exactly) was to add in spiral extensions to wires that under go movement in normal operation. 

I'd do it for you but you'd have to visit me in Germany, maybe not worth it methinks. 

as SoilWorker said, how handy are you?

Just to reassure you, throttle cable extension was my first ever soldering project, without any experience and using a ancient soldering iron borrowed to my father.

No need to be too fancy, just add length to all wires and Voila!

Grab yourself a couple of colored wired for electronic, a soldering iron, a beer or two and you should be good to go. it took me a night to figure out what I was doing and actually extending all wire.

maybe the hardest thing would be to get over the thoughts you are about to ruin your throttle (which is not the case, it's pretty straight forward).

Wow thank you everyone for your replies!

Well I saw on the DCS (hope its ok to mention that game here) forums that a person was going to order replacement cables from china but could only do so in bulk, also seen another person have to do the same but with extension cables instead.

So i was kind of hoping to catch the attention of others that have had to do the same, and maybe buy some of those extra cables, or find out where i could get them from.

I can use a soldering iron, but I'd say I'm a bit of an amateur and those wires look tiny, and lots of them! Plus i am finding it hard to figure out where the break in the cable is, as the current issue is intermittent (the up and down on the top PoV only works currently between 25% to 80% throttle).

I'm not confident but i will give it a go if there is no other option.

Why can't all out flight sim gear be built like the FFB2?

15 minutes ago, DD_Crash said:

Dam! Yeah i have seen a lot of extremely talented people modding their gear and I wish I could do the same! But for now i think i'll just try and fix this cable :)

And I have buckets of ribbon cable in my attic, so no problem there! Just not sure this is something i'm capable of doing.

So may I ask, should I just cut the cable in the G940 and just splice in ide cable? or should i try and remove all the cable from there plugs and replace the entire length from top to bottom?

Thank you all again for your replies and time, and i'm sorry it takes me a while to reply back.

2 minutes ago, DD_Crash said:

I would replace the entire cable. Take lots of photos so you know which cable goes where and use heat shrink like this to group the wires together https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164Pcs-Assorted-Size-Polyolefin-Cable-Insulation-Heat-Shrink-Tube-Tubing/124059201982?hash=item1ce28131be:g:hXcAAOSwGL9eKuWd

Thank you,

Its going to take a while before i will be ready to give it a try but i have saved the links for when i do.

So for now i think i'll keep looking for someone who has a replacement or is willing to make one for me that i can buy. I feel it would be better for me to try and get a quality replacement from someone who knows what they are doing, rather than me take days on what will probably be a terrible repair that ill only end up having to keep going back to fix.

Ah I didn't realise the break was in the multi core cable, yeah that would be tricky to find, albeit doable. 

I would be wary of buying replacements from China, I've been buying various things from China recently and they seem to be invariably inferior (even things like resistors which a super basic have bad tolerances and thin, flimsy, badly plated legs) so you might just end up with a cable that wears out even faster. 

I have a G940 but I only use the stick (which I've extended) because, while I never had your problems I got so fed up with the terrible hysteresis they implemented (because they used crappy connectors - seriously if you have noise issues with a G940 it's hardware, not software) so I ended up getting a Warthog throttle which was good but I didn't like the switch type or layout so I upgraded again to a Virpil throttle and that thing is amazing. What I'm getting at with this wee story here is that it might be worth simply looking into a better throttle if you you can afford it. 

(BTW got a Warthog throttle for sale if anyone's interested 😅

Well i do have my Saitek throttle quadrant that i can use, but that thing is a pain in the bum in its own right!

Anyway what i think i'm going to do is swallow my anxiety and take everyone's advice and make my own cable. So i have ordered some heat shrink as @DD_Crash suggested, and i already have the IDE cables for it.

I just need to find and order new plugs for the ends (just in case i break the old ones), which is easier said than done as i cant pop to my local Maplins anymore! Does anyone know what those plugs are called for each end of the cable?

I know i have said this a lot but i really appreciate the help, so thank you again :)

Thank you @ojeda i discovered that video last night not long after i posted my question.

I have managed to find all the housings in the UK except the HB-2x04 (MDU-8F), in fact googling the marking only brings up Russian sites that wont allow me to buy from them 😠, and putting it into ebay only comes up with a Hornby train!

So i'll be contacting RS supplies today in the hope they have something like it.

Edit: They don't! And they directed me to contact Molex, which i have done. But its looking like i'm going to have to use the current ones, however if Molax get back to me with something then i'll update this post just in case anyone else is having trouble looking for these.

Edited by Fallen_Tyrael
21 hours ago, Fallen_Tyrael said:

Well i do have my Saitek throttle quadrant that i can use, but that thing is a pain in the bum in its own right!

I know what you mean, I have one too, it and the lack of affordable alternatives inspired me to build my own! 😅

• 4 months later...

@Fallen_Tyrael how did this project go? I'm about to embark on it myself, and seem to be running into the same problems as you regarding sourcing the plugs. I figure I'll use the sockets from the old cable, and the PHR-12 listing I'm buying from has a couple extra sets, so I should be able to use the spare contacts from those in conjunction with the old sockets, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @migmadmarine, not sure if you went ahead with your fixes but I had similar issues on my G940. I ended up just doing a continuity test on the wires from top to bottom and found two were broken, I then replaced only these two with wire from an ethernet cable as others had, which while not a perfect job seems to have worked out ok. My throttle is now completely working and reliable, I made sure the cables ran via the same paths and were not catching or pulling. I had watched the tutorials as well, but like you I found it near impossible to fine all the connectors to build a new cable so I opted for a quick fix!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @migmadmarine, I'm very sorry for my late reply! I don't seem to be getting notifications to my email address.

Anyway I never did find the HB-2x04 (MDU-8F) housing in the UK. So what i did in the end was make a new cable from an IDE cable and replace the 12 pin housing. However i cheated and just soldered the rest of the cables together, which has fixed my hat issue however I'm still having issues with the R1 and R2 wheel being jumpy when i move the throttle. Which means at some point I'm going to need to take it apart again and do a proper job but reuse the HB-2x04 housing.

Right, fair enough. My repair seems to have worked fully, but looks kinda dicey on the inside. Be advised the Hb-sxOF (JST PHDR-08-VS) does require different crimps than the other two. If you want I can send you links for sources of all three connectors. 

• Like 1

Yes please, send links! I assume your Hb-sxOF (JST PHDR-08-VS) are the ones in the video labelled HB-2x04 (MDU-8F)?

As for the crimps i did buy both types from RS supplies (SEH-001T-P0.6 and SPH-002T-P0.5S) and i got the 4 pin and 12 pin housing as well, just need the 8 pin.

Thank you for you help by the way! :)

This is the site I bought them from: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jst-sales-america-inc/PHDR-08VS/1166102?s=N4IgTCBcDaIA4AsAmAnAtABgBwDcDOIAugL5A 

I also ordered a set of the 3 pin housings (conn housing EH 3pos 2.5mm crimp/EHR-3) from them as the 3 pin ones I had originally gotten were not quite right.

I concluded the repair of my original one in a functional but not super pretty state, but in the process of all this I've been offered another G940 suffering the same issue, so I will attempt a better quality fix on that one, and probably give the original to a friend of mine who is in need of a stick. 

Cool thank you again! I will order some of those.

Oops i just realised i said 4 pin housing in my last post but i meant to say 3 pin 😕 and i have the same 3 pin you mentioned.

Anyway functional is good! Its not like anyone is going to see it :) and at least now you know what you're doing for the next one. However it would be far easier if Logitech and/or Microsoft pulled their fingers out and made a new FFB Stick or HOTAS!