Black September V Campaign

J5_Baeumer

Register to participate in Black September V by indicating in the poll which team you prefer:  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Register by indicating which side you prefer to fly on:

• Entente Only
    • Entente Preferred
    • Either. Put me where you need me.
    • Central Preferred
    • Central Only

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/02/20 at 12:00 AM

On 9/13/2020 at 6:22 AM, J2_Drookasi said:

A special welcome to the new pilots, I hope they enjoyed it. Please do not misinterpret our efforts to direct you to the Entente, we were just trying to

.....keep all the shitty planes for ourselves.

• Haha 3

9/22/18 - results for week 3 are amended to Entente win.  Individual scores are not affected and the parser will continue to show a Central win. 

The full ruling can be read on the official event forum here: http://www.jasta5.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=14977&p=45549&sid=8562217fc318791f56ccf7687806f7f0#p45549

Current Status:   Central - 2 wins; Entente - 1 win.

2 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

9/22/18 - results for week 3 are amended to Entente win.  Individual scores are not affected and the parser will continue to show a Central win. 

The full ruling can be read on the official event forum here: http://www.jasta5.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=14977&p=45549&sid=8562217fc318791f56ccf7687806f7f0#p45549

Current Status:   Central - 2 wins; Entente - 1 win.

I am responsible for the penalty incurred on the central side resulting on the 3rd mission being accredited to the Entente. I moved a number of central pilots to a specific channel, during a specific time in the 3rd mission and over-exceeded the capacity of the channel. Even though this occurred for no more than 15 mins, after which I was informed of the violation and corrected it, this had been a wrong decision and I am to blame for the resulting consequences.

I am expressing my apologies to the central team because we are penalized with the loss of the 3rd mission thus their efforts and time had been in vain.

I apologize to the Entente team for giving them the impression that I am using unjustified means to win the mission, while their adherence to the rules did not offer them the same advantage. I only hope they recognize that my intention had not been to cheat.

Finally, my apologies to the organizers as represented by J5_Baeumer for putting them in an awkward position. I never meant to undermine their efforts for the game and the community.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Understandable and surely not ill intented on both sides. And a good decision, rules are rules after all.
And as a bonus it keeps things exciting for the last round! 😄👍

• Upvote 1

While I understand that the rules were violated, I would like to say as a matter of fact that the resulting communication chaos that ensued did not produce, that I could see, any advantage, rather the opposite. This is not meant as an argument to contest the ruling - I could care less for the mission score in itself - but rather as an incentive to my team fellows that we will be able to win again. Go Blue!

• Upvote 1

Not sure how much of an advantage it created Drookasi. Probably no different than if you just dropped in to the channels briefly to stage everyone. Overcrowded channels are considered to be a disadvantage by some.

Too bad though that they will force you to fly an Albie for the rest of your life.😀

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

While I understand that the rules were violated, I would like to say as a matter of fact that the resulting communication chaos that ensued did not produce, that I could see, any advantage, rather the opposite. 

My sentiments exactly.

9/25/18  - Tomorrow is Week 4 of 4 for Black September V.   Entente hoping to extend gains into a respectable stalemate that was the reality of so much of the entire war, while Central hopes to eek out a equally respectable victory by snatching Ententes hopes from their hands!  

All non registered players wishing to fly are asked once again to help create the necessary historical imbalance of pilots and resources by opting to FLY ENTENTE in order that they may outnumber Central up to 10 pilots.  DO NOT TRY TO BALANCE SIDES.

1 hour ago, J5_Baeumer said:

All non registered players wishing to fly are asked once again to help create the necessary historical imbalance of pilots and resources by opting to FLY ENTENTE in order that they may outnumber Central up to 10 pilots.  DO NOT TRY TO BALANCE SIDES.

Wet weather cannot damp Tommy's sense of humour perhaps Close-up of a sign  posted in a camp. The sign reads, '… | World war one, Battle of  passchendaele, World warPoster art print: SHUT UP GO AWAY LIME LIGHT GREEN KEEP CALM WW2 WWII  PARODY SIGN (A2 maxi - 40.7x61cm / 16x24in, semi-gloss satin paper, gift  artwork home decor decorative): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen

Edited by J2_Bidu

With the campaign concluded, I congratulate and thank all the participants for their commitment and effort to make it a great event. 4 missions, with 4 hours of heated action have produced an immersive and gratifying experience. The central side did win but not easily at all. Well done 1st PL_Lucas for your leadership of the Entente and to all your pilots. And bravo to the Central team for their resilience and effectiveness.

Apologizing in advance for possibly failing to mention someone, I would like to specifically thank:

The people who acted as 'sector commanders': J5_Baeumer, J5_Mueller, J5_Gamecock, J5_Daedallus, J2_Trupobaw and J2_Bidu.

The 'tank killers': J99*Basti, J5_Loppnow, J5_Winkelmann, J2_Hornet and J2_Jacob.

The 'Hunters': J5_Konnecke and J99_Sizzlorr.

And of course J99_Sizzlorr for the mission designing and efforts to improve it, to J5_Baeumer for coordinating everything about the organization of the campaign and to the Jasta 5 as a group for their hosting the server and  continuously supporting it.

Salute to all!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I also want to thank J5 for organizing this years Black September event, and espescially @J5_Baeumer for his work on the server which did work flawlessly for the event. There where no technical difficulties and if there were any Baeumers quick actions sorted them out :good:

I also like to thank everyone paticipating in the event. You make these things possible! I hope you had a good time cooperating with your fellow team members, enjoyed the stratigical and tactical options in the mission and had some interesting fights over the front line. I hope your immersion was as high as mine flying the mission :drinks:.

Thanks to the campaign comanders @J2_Drookasi and @1PL-Lucas-1Esk you did a great job in organizing each side every week :clapping:.

Now let's talk about the things that I learned along the way. Asymetric mission designs are hard to balance but can be very interesting. I don't think we achieved total balance :acute: but I think with weeks 3 and 4 iterations of the mission we came pretty close. Many factors play a role in that. One thing I had no control over is the amount of people showing up for flying for each side every week :scratch_one-s_head:. This was because we decided against a password protected server. We wanted to attract new pilots to Flying Circus and let them experience what an event looks like in a ww1 scenario. With 180 individual pilots flying Black September I think we did well on this part (for reference this years Bloody April had 125 individual pilots). And who knows maybe we will see some of them on a weekly basis on one of the Flying Circus servers :bye:. Of course this brings more factors that you can't really control into the already complex formula of balancing a mission :dash: .

I learned that having more pilots on one side isn't always an advantage. You have to coordinate more people and when they are not on comms it is a task like hearding cats :blink:. Nevertheless @1PL-Lucas-1Esk is apperantly pretty good at hearding cats .

Still with the experience we gathered throughout this years event we have a solid basis on building next years Black September :yahoo:.

S! all  :salute:

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

1PL-Lucas-1Esk

S!

First and foremost I would like to thank @J5_Baeumer and the whole Jasta 5 for their efforts with hosting the Black September. The tournament would not be great if @J99_Sizzlorr did not create the mission which is perhaps the best WW1 mission ever created for the Flying Circus (and maybe RoF, too). Big Salute! to @J2_Drookasi and all the Central Powers pilots who did their best to stop the Entente offensive and they made it.

Finally, I would like to thank the units and the independent pilots who did their best flying for the Entente. I was seeing how the cooperation and coordination was improving from one week to another. We did loose, but we were pretty close to achieve a tie. Great work everyone!

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

1211573711_Ententethanks.jpg.e66ba8dc85bb3b8ccf0921cd0613f8dc.jpg

Black September V, Jasta 5's 15th large community event is completed with Central pushing back the fierce Entente Offensive! 

However, as the poster above states, a huge "Thank You" to Entente forces is in order. 

Entente will never know how desperate and slim the margin of victory was on so many occasions for Central!  

The parser shows 180 accounts accessed the campaign server.  No doubt a few people used two accounts, and a number of people entered but didn't fly.  But they "saw" a WW1 server full (often 60+) having a blast!

Here is the point:  when you subtract the accounts that did not fly, 30% of the people who flew in the campaign did not register for the event!  This means that no password in this event is a significant way to promote Flying Circus and build a growing community!  This is consistent with last years first Flying Circus community event, Black September IV.  Approximately 30% of those participants were "unknown" to those of us, "usual suspects".   And the community grew strongly until mid-April of last year.  But that is another story...still, this years Black September (16 hours long) had 30% more pilot accounts access the server than the Bloody April campaign (24 hours long)!   This is reason for celebration as well!

Regarding passwords:

This openness to inviting others to "connect with community"  comes with a cost:  most drop-in players do not understand the objectives and (very occasionally) may take a specific plane designated for a mission.  Also, unregistered drop-in players (who are also unlikely to be "on comms") can't be integrated into the ongoing objectives easily.  However, it should be possible to count on some of these "wild cards" to wreak some havoc and provide some distraction to the enemy, and that friends, CAN be integrated into a battle plan and be of help.  We have already been brainstorming some additional approaches to future events that may help accentuate the benefits of an inviting event while further reducing negative impacts.

Hopefully everyone will agree that it makes sense for us to try to have at least one "major" event like this where we throw open the doors and invite all-comers into the party with us!  In the end the benefits far outweigh any negatives, which frankly make for a more realistic event.  Nothing ever goes according to plan once contact with the enemy is made, and random unexpected events happened all the time in "action".

Hopefully the above helps us understand why there have not been passwords for the past two years in FC Black September events.  To invite others into the community of online organized multiplayer WWI events.  By week 3 and 4 of the event, we had learned more lessons about what is needed when not using passwords and had taken the following additional steps to support overloading Entente:

1. Assigned 20% more registrants to Entente
  2. Made regular posts the unassigned pilots should fly Entente
  3. Reduced the coalition change penalty to less than a minute
  4. Included in the server title a statement to Fly Entente and not balance sides.
  5. Included in the in game mission description for unassigned "drop ins" to fly Entente and not balance sides.
  6. Posted in game chat messages directed to specific drop in pilots asking them to move to Entente.

For those pilots who did move to Entente, we greatly appreciated it and hope they enjoyed their experience in the event.  Thank you!

In week four after all the above efforts were employed, there were still drop-in pilots flying Central.  After several in game chat messages went unresponded to, we trialed a "banning" process to try to get peoples attention.  I don't know that this was effective and certainly has the potential to backfire.  Its not exactly the best way to make newer players feel invited into a campaign.  On the other hand, if you drop into a server, you might read the title of it and the mission briefing in game for a server titled as a campaign. 

Still, I don't believe this is an effective method and would be inclined not to support doing this again, although I think it needed to be tried.

Mission Builder:
Our WWI community has been fortunate to have a handful of master mission builders over the years. JG1 Buttzell brought Flanders in Flames to the WW1 flight sim community since the dawn of online multiplayer in Red Baron 3D, Rise of Flight and Flying Circus.  Jasta 5 has been fortunate to support the efforts of two master mission builders of its own.

J5_Rumey pushed the envelope each year during the early Bloody April campaigns of Rise of Flight, when it was still under extensive development.  Each year would be a different campaign as the game and editor expanded the possibilities.  J5_Matthias picked up where Rumey left off and continued the Bloody April events through the end of Rise of Flight and into Flying Circus with last years first FC event (Black September IV) and this past Bloody April.   Through it all, JG1_Buttzell remained a behind the scenes collaborator and contributor, and everyone contributed knowledge and tips and tricks to help make each others efforts succeed.  

When it became evident to Matthias and I going into past spring's Bloody April that his professional responsibilities would not allow him the time to continue to develop missions for Jasta 5 events, it was natural to turn to a mission builder we had already begun collaborating together with on the Flugpark missions.  I invited J99_Sizzlor to discuss the possibility of scripting the event and he created a conceptual diagram of what he thought the campaign could look like.  There was not much to change and I knew he had a smash hit, excepting the challenges creating asymmetrical events learned in earlier Bloody April events.

It is with great thanks and praise to Sizzlor, for his intellect, creativity, and ability to collaborate (with someone like me who relies on others to bring ideas to reality)!  Even before the start of Black September, he and I had begun working on a roadmap for improvements to Flugpark Server missions and future major events.  He and I are also engaging in discussions with other budding mission builders to design additional content for Flying Circus events and I would invite anyone interested in collaborating with us to contact either one of us.

Community Partners and Acknowledgments:
J2_Drookasi
1PL Lucas

Without these two men of character and ability stepping up and stepping into "the breach" at crucial moments, much of what we have been able to bring to the community over the years might not have been as successful.   They are valuable community leaders and I am privileged and ever appreciative of their unwavering support of the our efforts to support this community.

Organized Units: (appearing on the parser list of registered units flying four or more pilots in the campaign)
Jasta 2

Jasta 5
Jasta 99
JG1
3PG

To learn about how to register your group of four or more pilots on the parser visit the "info" tab on the Flugpark parser.

Community Server Donors:

Lionel P. (on behalf of SeaSerpent)
Graham P.
Ian J.
Nobiwan
Niiranen-VR
Barry P.
Derek P.
Luis F.
Herbert R.
Norbert S.
Roger S.

Monthly Server Sponsors (pilots who support the server on an ongoing monthly basis):

Talbot

Rumey
Matthias
Sturm
Gamecock
Mai
Chunko
Baeumer

Become a Flugpark Server Sponsor - The Flugpark server costs about $100 per month to operate, not including time volunteered to operate and maintain the server.  Anyone wishing to make a small monthly or one-time donation can do so by visiting the secure PayPal link on the "Info Tab" on the parser here: http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/info/ .  Supporters are listed on the Flugpark server info page.

All pilots flying 30 minutes or more as shown on the parser (http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/pilots/?tour=33) are hereby awarded the following campaign ribbon, produced by the official jeweler and medal maker of Jasta 5, J5_Voss, whose efforts are greatly appreciated. 

On behalf of all the pilots of Jasta 5, thank you for your participation and support!

y4mFGIDklUB8-q00qIte6EFJQYzSqC3Rdzrlmheb

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/27/2020 at 12:58 PM, 1PL-Lucas-1Esk said:

S!

First and foremost I would like to thank @J5_Baeumer and the whole Jasta 5 for their efforts with hosting the Black September. The tournament would not be great if @J99_Sizzlorr did not create the mission which is perhaps the best WW1 mission ever created for the Flying Circus (and maybe RoF, too). Big Salute! to @J2_Drookasi and all the Central Powers pilots who did their best to stop the Entente offensive and they made it.

Finally, I would like to thank the units and the independent pilots who did their best flying for the Entente. I was seeing how the cooperation and coordination was improving from one week to another. We did loose, but we were pretty close to achieve a tie. Great work everyone!

Thanks Lucas, 100% agree to every single word above, looking forward to more such complex and demanding campaigns, hopefully some day also with some new features or planes provided by 1GCS.

I am really sorry that I was not able to participate in all sessions!

And beside the special thanks to @J5_Baeumer and  @J99_Sizzlorr for the outstanding work and services they provide us with, I also wanna say thank you very much to @1PL-Lucas-1Esk for taking the Lead of the Entente Air Corps during that campaign... ☺️

Salute

Etzel    

• Like 3