Jump to content

Recommended Posts

One thing in advance, PWCG is probably the reason why it is still fun to fly this simulation. So, no trace of criticism, but the wish, if it is allowed, to see some features sometime:

1. At the top of the list is the wish to not only assign skins to squadrons, but to assign different skins to all aircraft, not only to those of your own squadron. Of course you may ask yourself if this is necessary, since you have to get very close to see a different number on the aircraft. But it would be an extension to be able to do this. (By the way, this already existed in the old RoF)
2. transfer flights to other airports with transport aircraft
(also existed in the old RoF).
3. When equipped with new aircraft, first make a test flight to get used to the new type.
4. Make an orientation flight as a new pilot or with new pilots before entering into combat.
(5. a campaign in which the outcome is not fixed - has been mentioned here at some point - and the outcome of a mission has an influence on the front line and you can "win" a map. Maybe - therefore in brackets).

But again, hope this list is seen as a possible addition to this fabulous program.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kur12 said:

If the plane is shot down over enemy territory, then give the pilot a small chance (5-10%) to cross the front line and return to service. And now he is captured without any options.

 

That already happens.  You have 10% of capture per km depth.  At 10 km behind enemy lines you will be captured.

 

9 hours ago, Almenas said:

One thing in advance, PWCG is probably the reason why it is still fun to fly this simulation. So, no trace of criticism, but the wish, if it is allowed, to see some features sometime:

1. At the top of the list is the wish to not only assign skins to squadrons, but to assign different skins to all aircraft, not only to those of your own squadron. Of course you may ask yourself if this is necessary, since you have to get very close to see a different number on the aircraft. But it would be an extension to be able to do this. (By the way, this already existed in the old RoF)
2. transfer flights to other airports with transport aircraft
(also existed in the old RoF).
3. When equipped with new aircraft, first make a test flight to get used to the new type.
4. Make an orientation flight as a new pilot or with new pilots before entering into combat.
(5. a campaign in which the outcome is not fixed - has been mentioned here at some point - and the outcome of a mission has an influence on the front line and you can "win" a map. Maybe - therefore in brackets).

But again, hope this list is seen as a possible addition to this fabulous program.

 

 

1. Should be happening with the latest skin releases.  Your squadron is explicitly assigned skins.  Other AI flights are also assigned individual skins (Working on Germans now).  The difference is that your assignments within your squadron are sticky while the AI assignments are not.

 

2. This has been brought up.  it's doable but harder than you might think.  Quite often squadron moves occur due to front movement.  Since front movement is not like real life it is entirely possible that source or target fields are behind enemy lines.  It could be done some times, just not on every squadron move.

 

3. I leave that to QMB.  There is a gap in time when you are transitioned to an entirely new type.  

 

4. That could be done.  Combined with request #3 there could be a concept of a special flight.  You could choose them instead of a normal mission.  I already have a similar concept with lone wolf flights.  Not sure what an orientation flight would look like other than a patrol just behind your own lines, maybe with medium priority WPs so the AI does not attack.

 

5. I would like to do something like this, but the scope of the change is nothing short of enormous. There would have to be a whole new game written on top of PWCG.  Never say never, but this is a really big job to tackle.

3 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

My wish, better groundtargets like in the careermissions and more flak at targets for level bombers (like home base).

 

What does better mean?  Serious question.  If I have specifics I might be able to do something.  One thing the in game career can do that I cannot (at least easily) is take terrain into account.  Same reason I have rejected requests to to PWCG for Tank Commander.  

 

More flak has already been addressed.  Go to simple configuration.  Flak is now its own simple config.  Set it to high.  There are in game limitations on the number of units.  I already push way past that.  

 

Last note: I always appreciate ideas.  A lot of features in PWCG are taken from user requests. 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 216th_Nocke said:

another suggestion: the possibility to take over config changes from other campains when creating a new one? Save a config as a template perhaps?

You could change your config settings in the config file under 'BoS/PWCG/BoSData/Input/Configuration', but then it would be for all your PWCG campaigns and you had to save it and copy into every new PWCG version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 часов назад, PatrickAWlson сказал:

That already happens.  You have 10% of capture per km depth.  At 10 km behind enemy lines you will be captured.

It would be nice if a corresponding message appeared in the log, for example: "The plane fell behind the front line, but the pilot managed to return to his own." And now it is not clear what is happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The difference is that your assignments within your squadron are sticky while the AI assignments are not.

 

Is there a reason why the AI assignments couldn't be sticky as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kur12 said:

It would be nice if a corresponding message appeared in the log, for example: "The plane fell behind the front line, but the pilot managed to return to his own." And now it is not clear what is happening.

When the PWCG AAR states a plane went down on enemy side, without mentioning the pilot, this means the pilot made it back to his side and will be flying again. When the pilot was captured by the enemy, it is mentioned in the AAR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 час назад, Yogiflight сказал:

Когда в PWCG AAR говорится, что самолет упал на стороне противника, без упоминания пилота, это означает, что пилот вернулся на свою сторону и снова будет летать. Когда летчик попал в плен к противнику, об этом упоминается в AAR.

Now I understand this, but it would still be better if it was written about it explicitly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Almenas said:

 

Is there a reason why the AI assignments couldn't be sticky as well?

 

Writing the code that persists the skins across all AI, does so intelligently, and has a recycle element to reuse skins when an AI pilot is brought down.  I have been thinking about how this could be made to work.  

 

There are not enough skins to go around but that is IMHO solvable.  Using the same algorithm that I have I can prioritize who gets a skin (higher rank, higher quality).  Everybody else would get squadron or factory.  I could go through a reclamation and assignment phase after each mission.  It could be done, but it's work.  Something to consider once the core skin gathering process is done.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Patrick,

 

I mean with better ground targets a more realistic appearing template. Like artillery behind sandbags, trucks in attendance, defensive positions with AT-guns, tanks and such. I am aware of the issues of positioning so I do not mean that aspect of ground targets. Just not the the series af artyguns parked in line. The standard setup in career-missions is my example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Hey Patrick,

 

I mean with better ground targets a more realistic appearing template. Like artillery behind sandbags, trucks in attendance, defensive positions with AT-guns, tanks and such. I am aware of the issues of positioning so I do not mean that aspect of ground targets. Just not the the series af artyguns parked in line. The standard setup in career-missions is my example.

 

I think Murleen did a lot of that in a recent release - putting artillery in revetments, etc. 

 

There is a whole ground war going on.  Tanks assault an objective.  Machine guns are set up close enough to each other to fire.  AT guns are behind the machine guns to stop the tanks.  Sometimes there will be tanks in defensive positions instead of AT guns.  Sometimes there will be a meeting engagement with tanks from each side moving towards each other.  The artillery fires at targets.  It is not just a stationary thing for airplanes to blow up.  

 

So more use of defensive positions - OK.  Is it the line abreast positioning of the artillery that you think is wrong?  How was artillery generally positioned? 

 

I do not play in game career mode and, to put it plainly, I do not have time to examine their mission structure, so using that as a reference is not going to do me much good.  You could argue that I should do that but the fact is that there are only so many hours in a day and my wife and paying job come first  :) 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Understand, no problem. If all my wishes where dollars I would have the time to do it myself 😏.

 

I admit not having played your campaign for some time. Enjoying myself jets until that bugfest drives me up the wall again.

 

I noticed that artillery was placed in line and not abreast. Maybe Murleen fixed that as well. 
 

I used the game career mode as an easy example of what I ment. Never considered the possibility that you never played it. It is not like you made your own campaign system 😏🤪 or something.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

  Machine guns are set up close enough to each other to fire. 

I noticed, that there are AA machineguns in first line instead of the ground versions. This could be changed.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

So more use of defensive positions - OK. 

I don't know, if the Editor has this, but usually firing positions for artillery guns, AT guns, AA guns and whatever, were not protected by sandsacks, but earth walls. The first thing gunners did, when going into a new firing position, was digging a splinter protection trench around the gun, building an earth wall with the material out of the trench.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Is it the line abreast positioning of the artillery that you think is wrong?  How was artillery generally positioned? 

TBH, I think for artillery guns, standing in a line, was pretty common use. This made it easier to give the guns the correct data for firing.

The only advantage I really see in the game career mode firing positions for artillery guns is, where the guns are positioned, as they can place the guns by hand for every mission and therefore look, what position makes the most sense.

 

What might look better IMHO is, packing the heavy AA guns together to AAA batteries. They were usually not firing as single guns at aircrafts, but as complete battery, led by the battery commander from a position (depending on the terrain, about 50m, I would guess) behind the guns.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yogiflight 

 

The regular MGs are in the front.  The AA MGs are fewer in number and slightly behind.

 

The game does not have earth revetments (at least I don't think it does). 

 

I have both single guns and batteries.  I use single guns along the front.  Really a WWI holdover to simulate front line AA.  Places of interest (rail yards, some bridges, any target of a strategic strike) have batteries, the size of which depends on configs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The regular MGs are in the front.  The AA MGs are fewer in number and slightly behind.

I will have to take another look at this, but in one of my recent missions I had two German AA machineguns in front of advancing tanks and from what I saw, on the Russian side there were also AA machineguns at the front line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

You could argue that I should do that but the fact is that there are only so many hours in a day and my wife and paying job come first  :) 

 

...and honestly, you work miracles in those hours devoted to PWCG.  I think we all owe Mrs. PWCG some date night money for sharing your time with us over all these years!  Headed back to the "PWCG is Necessary" button now.  Thank you! :salute:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

I will have to take another look at this, but in one of my recent missions I had two German AA machineguns in front of advancing tanks and from what I saw, on the Russian side there were also AA machineguns at the front line.

 

They will start in front of the tanks but behind their own MG screen.  The tanks will bypass them and move beyond them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...