Jump to content

Developer Diary 257 - Discussion


Han
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Legioneod said:

That railyard is beautiful, thats what I was hoping to see in Bodenplatte. Hopefully we get some in Normandy.

 

_VLS_01.jpg

 

Will the G suits be made an option for the Normandy Aircraft? Because many of the aircraft that flew in Normandy also flew later during the Bodenplatte timeframe.

Fully agree................> Finaly, Bodenplatte is from now the least beautiful of all the maps. It is a shame 😪

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@=FB=VikS, how many different rocket options are there going to be for the Typhoon? In reading Shores's book on the 2nd TAF, there were quite a few options available to Typhoon pilots:

 

  • 25 lb AP
  • 60 lb SAP/HE
  • 60 lb HE
  • double load of rockets on the two inner rails
  • SAP HE on one side and HE on the other
  • SAP HE and HE mixed in on the same wing
  • Lightweight launch rails

Capture.thumb.JPG.29504efc96eeacf21523a6c15bbec931.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.b6d1597f2c4fdfcdd8c31bf00c92bee3.JPG

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, CCG_Pips said:

Fully agree................> Finaly, Bodenplatte is from now the least beautiful of all the maps. It is a shame 😪

You are right. It's also because Zeus used a simple trick on the Velikie Luki map that wasn't used on the Bodenplatte map. As you can see on the screenshots, roads and railroad tracks have an underlying texture to show road/rail embankments. The same was done on the Kuban map and the result is that roads and railroads look much more natural and not like they are simply painted over the landscape textures. No idea why this wasn't done on the Bodenplatte map too.

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

You are right. It's also because Zeus used a simple trick on the Velikie Luki map that wasn't used on the Bodenplatte map. As you can see on the screenshots, roads and railroad tracks have an underlying texture to show road/rail embankments. The same was done on the Kuban map and the result is that roads and railroads look much more natural and not like they are simply painted over the landscape textures. No idea why this wasn't done on the Bodenplatte map too.

                            

                       image.png.cca6a544548e70109463249ee0f9da14.png

 

Hope it will not be the case with BoN map... due to race against time.

When you make a huge chunk of west Europe with many roads and railroads, it could be a time consuming...

 

 

Edited by esk_pedja
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

=gRiJ=Roman-

Finally a new map! IMHP thi is the issue where most effort should be placed. We desperately need many more maps.

I remember that many DD ago, there was a talk about a new technic to speed up the production of maps but I don't know what happened with that.

In the Eastern Front with the current set of planes, the missing part is definitely more maps.

Some interesting needed maps: Leningrad, Khursk, Mursmank, Kiev, Crimea, etc

From the Business point of view, what about selling packs of two collectors planes plus a new map? For instance, I15/I153 + Do17/217 and a Barbarossa map?

It would be a way of filling in gaps and making some profit?

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Finally a new map! IMHP thi is the issue where most effort should be placed. We desperately need many more maps.

I remember that many DD ago, there was a talk about a new technic to speed up the production of maps but I don't know what happened with that.

In the Eastern Front with the current set of planes, the missing part is definitely more maps.

Some interesting needed maps: Leningrad, Khursk, Mursmank, Minsk, Crimea, etc

 

You gott'a be kidding... besides Khursk ( endless fields with repeating grass with much dust and mud ) it will take ages to make urban Soviet maps that you proposed.

Within a present time frame to make a descent Normandy map as complicated priority... and one third of community crying for Pacific announcement , you can only dream about it... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

easterling77

I'll just lean back enjoying what is done by the devs till today and happy about what is to come😎 next step Hurricane

Edited by easterling77
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Legioneod said:

That railyard is beautiful, thats what I was hoping to see in Bodenplatte. Hopefully we get some in Normandy.

 

_VLS_01.jpg

 

Will the G suits be made an option for the Normandy Aircraft? Because many of the aircraft that flew in Normandy also flew later during the Bodenplatte timeframe.

 

It looks great but its mutch smaller map area so its easyer to go in thouse details, i dont expect same level on BoN map.

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

You are right. It's also because Zeus used a simple trick on the Velikie Luki map that wasn't used on the Bodenplatte map. As you can see on the screenshots, roads and railroad tracks have an underlying texture to show road/rail embankments. The same was done on the Kuban map and the result is that roads and railroads look much more natural and not like they are simply painted over the landscape textures. No idea why this wasn't done on the Bodenplatte map too.

my guess money and time, so its focus was on great looking AF, and rest is to min standard for today, im under impresion that on all maps when mod is on in game anyone can modifie them and add textures in mission builder so some moder could make changes to BoBp map if he has will and time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Koningsberg with a Baltic peninsula (Eastern Prussia) would be feasible small map... not too complicated and quite attractive to fly over ? 

👍

 

Edited by esk_pedja
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LF_Gallahad

Lots of kudos. The new map is beautiful and the pilot it's a great addition to the simming air combat world. 

 

Way to go! Now I am looking forward to the Hurri and the Typhoon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Typhoon looks great. It probably ably be my favorite. Mission makers wont restrict payload in that. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Excellent news, love the Typhoon.  A short story from that time. My father was a member of 6 Commando, he was the then Co's Driver, Lt Col, Tony Lewis (MC). They were advancing on Caen, they got support from Typhoons, but he recalls that 5 of them came over when they were near a large building with tall chimney, One of the Typhoon's flew straight into the chimney, took most of it out, but of course was killed outright. My father reckon's the pilot could well have been just tired and just didn't react like he should have, he recalls the Typhoon's had been over them all week. 

Such a shame that people lose their lives for such little errors but I did re-learn that in the military that tiredness kills and the accident rate climbs. We are very fortunate that we always get back from our missions. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skeleboners

Silly question, but in this passage:

 

Quote

Drivers of the German panzers and the Sherman tank will have the opportunity to use the course director. 

 

What exactly is meant by "course director"? I'm unfamiliar with any device or equipment on the Sherman, at least, by that name, but then I'm no expert either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

+1, I too am happy with whatever the devs come up with regarding maps and general development. They have the tools, they have to fit it all in and not frazzle their staff. We get what we get when it's done. We'd all like  ALL OF IT TOMORROW, but we have to be patient. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We should all understand that devs are professionals working for money - that should be received for product in a reasonable time period.

...and they don't have 100 devs assigned to map creation 

...and community will get more impatient by every week that passes by

 

If we get a graphical "Easter Egg" in a Summer Velikie Luki map - it does not mean that we must receive whole BoN map in the same beauty level.

 

I would be happy to have a green part of map in that quality: 

image.png.515a55e6b882a6eb4f57dd8315a168ae.png

 

...or something similar, according to historic events.

 

Just my personal opinion...

 

 

Edited by esk_pedja
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skeleboners said:

What exactly is meant by "course director"? I'm unfamiliar with any device or equipment on the Sherman, at least, by that name, but then I'm no expert either.

It is gyrocompass, as I understand correctly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AEthelraedUnraed
On 8/8/2020 at 10:27 AM, Juri_JS said:

You are right. It's also because Zeus used a simple trick on the Velikie Luki map that wasn't used on the Bodenplatte map. As you can see on the screenshots, roads and railroad tracks have an underlying texture to show road/rail embankments. The same was done on the Kuban map and the result is that roads and railroads look much more natural and not like they are simply painted over the landscape textures. No idea why this wasn't done on the Bodenplatte map too.

Well, for one thing, roads in the Netherlands (a large part of the BP map) don't generally have embankments (with the noted exception of dykes of course).

 

They are occasionally flanked by ditches though, which would be nice to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Typhoon looks menacing pictured in just its plain 3D form. Looking forward to seeing it fleshed out. I'm not sure why, considering their common lineage, but the Typhoon has always looked much more brutish than the Tempest does to me. It'll be a great addition to the sim.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FlyingShark
24 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I'm not sure why, considering their common lineage, but the Typhoon has always looked much more brutish than the Tempest does to me.

Probably because of the sticks sticking out of the wings that make the plane look menacing.

 

Have a nice day.

 

:salute:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FlyingShark said:

Probably because of the sticks sticking out of the wings that make the plane look menacing.

 

Have a nice day.

 

:salute:

That and the hangy down things carried under its wings. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FlyingShark
8 minutes ago, Rjel said:

That and the hangy down things carried under its wings. 

yeah, those too.

 

Have a nice day.

 

:salute:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Well, for one thing, roads in the Netherlands (a large part of the BP map) don't generally have embankments (with the noted exception of dykes of course).

 

They are occasionally flanked by ditches though, which would be nice to have.

 

The whole low country section has been filled in with copy/ paste objects from Germany 😂

Problem,admitting ony minor, but its a bit clumsy made. 

 

 

Edited by Dutch2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2020 at 12:06 PM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

What is the benefit of thick wings?

 

Sorry, it was horribly phrased by me. I meant to be descriptive, not imply causality 

 

To answer your question though, it seems like thicker wings were a bit more robust, which was good for a ground pounder. It also helped with fuel capacity, which the tempest with thinner wings had to move to a new fuel tank in front of the pilot.

Thick wings didn't help with dogfighting agility against the latest German planes which were more nimble than the typhoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Rjel said:

The Typhoon looks menacing pictured in just its plain 3D form. Looking forward to seeing it fleshed out. I'm not sure why, considering their common lineage, but the Typhoon has always looked much more brutish than the Tempest does to me. It'll be a great addition to the sim.

 

I agree.

 

Even though both Tempest and Typhoon look rather similar, the latter one still always looked way more appealing to me. Thicker wings and the longer cannons seal the deal for me.

 

This dev diary is packed with awesomeness. The Typhoon, the new pilot models, the improvements for TC and especially the new VL summer map (plus the updated winter version), nothing but great news. The devs really never fail to impress and once again their dedication and generosity shows by giving us quite some modifications for the coming Typhoon.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_FeuerFliegen
1 hour ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

So woman pilots will have a man photo in cockpit or they will be LGBT compatible?

 

Soviet Russia 1943 was the considered the golden age for the LGBT community.

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-322FG-Wimwam
Quote
On 8/8/2020 at 7:39 PM, LukeFF said:

@=FB=VikS, how many different rocket options are there going to be for the Typhoon?

 

Would love to see the heavier rocket loads for the Typhoon, and maybe even the HVARs for the P51 (fingers crossed)

I would love even more to see the Tiny Tim but I guess that's not historically accurate for the European Theater...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Callsign_NEW
On 8/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Han said:

 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

I’m looking forward to seeing some of the German planes in the next dev blog. Can’t wait for the Me-410 and the Fw190A6. One thing I’m curious about those planes is the gunsights. For an example, the BF109G6 in the IL-2 great battles series has the Revi 3D gunsight. Will the BON BF109G6/Late version have the Revi 16B gunsight like the Bf109G14? Is that also the case with the Fw-190A6?

Edited by Callsign_NEW
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, 616Sqn_Tyggz said:

The difference over 4 years is really astonishing.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-1696-0-27965000-1436172108.jpg

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/_VLS_01.jpg.4248c5c11c796108c0e793679605357b.jpg

 

Very much looking forward to menacing tanks with the Hurricane and Tiffy!

And the quality of life improvements are much appreciated in the Tank Crew side of things.

 

To be honest the first picture looks way better and clear than the second one.

  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

 

To be honest the first picture looks way better and clear than the second one.

 

I knew someone would say that, yes it looks clearer but for that less realistic. It's like taking a photo, putting it in Photoshop Lightroom and pushing up the contrast, saturation and dehaze sliders, looks pretty but not like real life. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1stCL/rudidlo
7 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

To be honest the first picture looks way better and clear than the second one.

To be honest the second picture looks way better and more realistic than the first one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ptolemy_Soter

Several questions about Typhoon's dust filters.

The aircraft presented in screenshots is a late production one, seen in frontline service only by September 1944. So well after the Normandy battle.

Is it planned to include both Vokes/RAE and Tropical Air Intake (the one modeled on the screenshots) filters to be able to play the Typhoon in Normandy and Bodenplatte maps ?

Typhoons engaged at the beginings of D-Day operations had no dust filters, so will it be possible to remove it for an early battle of Normandy scenario ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

216th_Jordan
1 hour ago, Soilworker said:

 

I knew someone would say that, yes it looks clearer but for that less realistic. It's like taking a photo, putting it in Photoshop Lightroom and pushing up the contrast, saturation and dehaze sliders, looks pretty but not like real life. 

 

Hmm. The new picture does look washed (as in very diffused lighting) - not necessarily realistic. In fact to me it looks like when you take a picture you took of a landscape and offset the brightness level.

I have yet to see such conditions from the air while flying.

 

Don't get me wrong, the map is beautiful, but it is this "atmosphere" that makes spotting not just a tad harder and I can understand the bitterness for some.

 

Makes more sense to lead these discussions in the appropriate threads though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

 

Hmm. The new picture does look washed (as in very diffused lighting) - not necessarily realistic. In fact to me it looks like when you take a picture you took of a landscape and offset the brightness level.

I have yet to see such conditions from the air while flying.

 

Don't get me wrong, the map is beautiful, but it is this "atmosphere" that makes spotting not just a tad harder and I can understand the bitterness for some.

 

Makes more sense to lead these discussions in the appropriate threads though.

 

But have you photographed it?* My impression is your brain adds contrast and saturation - especially in memories which is why I always boost those settings a bit when I edit my holiday photos so they reflect the vibrance of my memories of the trip. 

(My 2c anyhow.) 

 

*EDIT: Actually now I think about it I should add that it would have to be RAW format (ie directly from the camera's sensor) because nearly every camera adds some sort image tweaking to its JPGs. 

Edited by Soilworker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I have yet to see such conditions from the air while flying.

Really? Where do you fly? My experience of flying in the UK, particularly during Summer, is visibility very much like that. Heat haze can be even worse and make map navigation a real challenge.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aurora_Stealth
24 minutes ago, Elem said:

Really? Where do you fly? My experience of flying in the UK, particularly during Summer, is visibility very much like that. Heat haze can be even worse and make map navigation a real challenge.

 

Yeah agree, the cloud cover and amount of direct sunlight can effect somewhat how bright the objects and landscapes appear... but here's a photo I took back in May 2019 (it feels so very long ago now)...  the effects are very similar to the second photo and this is pretty typical for this time of the year.

 

20190512_101447.thumb.jpg.09f6de675c71b517c34bb7c3d4c97f0a.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

 

To be honest the first picture looks way better and clear than the second one.

 

Have you thought about the idea that maybe those two picture were not taken with the same graphic settings? Especially the first one

might be from an older DD with the previous graphic options and the second one with the you graphic engine adaptions like Deferred

Shading etc. Think about it. Just saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aurora_Stealth said:

but here's a photo I took back in May 2019

I see you have the Cockpit Reflections option turned on! ;) 

Edited by Elem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Han unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...