Han

Developer Diary 257 - Discussion

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

A proper rail yard?

Yeah, certainly catches the eye. As has been said, would be nice to have this sort of thing added to other maps. VL summer map looks fantastic👍

• Upvote 3

I-153 for vilikiye luki map?

oh yes!

:) :) 

Thx for devs .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Awesome update! Really digging that railyard! More of that please.

Perhaps already asked & answered :will the Typhoon have a 'car door option/ variant added?

hqdefault.jpg

8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Perhaps already asked & answered :will the Typhoon have a 'car door option/ variant added?

hqdefault.jpg

"The first thing we can show you today is a 3D render of the Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib, the legendary fighter-bomber of the RAF, which is very much anticipated by many in our simming community. In Battle of Normandy, this aircraft will, as it should be, presented with its late version with a drop-shaped cockpit canopy, a modified stabilizer of the type used on Tempest aircraft, and with two versions of the propeller (three- and four-bladed). It will be armed with four 20 mm Hispano cannons and also rockets and bombs. Despite the fact that the aircraft belongs to the class of fighter-bombers, due to the mighty 2200-horsepower Napier Saber IIa engine (and when using the 11-pound boost and up to 2400hp), it possessed strong flight performance. All in all, it will be an extremely interesting Allied aircraft that will help its virtual pilot achieve success in battle against both the ground and air enemy forces."

Looks like you can choose different propellers but there won't be canopy variants.

• Upvote 1

As in the entry it states "In Battle of Normandy, this aircraft will, as it should be, presented with its late version with a drop-shaped cockpit canopy, a modified stabilizer of the type used on Tempest aircraft, and with two versions of the propeller (three- and four-bladed)." I doubt they will have it as a mod, as it sounds like a fairly significant number of changes, essentially a whole new cockpit wall and new tail to have the car door.

So many good news. 

And so great that Zeus and team could finish VL map. No doubt, that handcrafted map will look realistic!

Cheers,

first the Cliffs update and now a great DD......... what a week! brilliant and thankyou.

This series for me is a constand positive factor in a world gone crazy...

Thanks Devs!

• Upvote 1

Yes lovely week, imagine my surprise when I found out we're getting a map, a good one too, and don't remember any word until now that it was coming.

Maps as I have said in the past is one main things  amongst others that this game needs,and as I look at the pictures ,yes pretty  decent it is too.

Also the winter equivalent will be updated.

suppose we start to talk about when the update is due, and then remember that the Hurricane is supposed to be coming August/September, should be an absolute

topper of an update.

3 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

Typhoon huh?

weeeeeeee.png

An ingenious application of biomimicry. Like the skink, the Typhoon can shear off its tail, distracting the predator while allowing it to escape. 

• Haha 6

New map new map new map!!! Hooray!! And a blooming great lovely railyard to boot. Brilliant!

Looking forward to everything, Cheers.

Posted (edited)

🤩 😲 🤩 😲 🤩 😲 !!!

New Velikiye Luki map !!!

👍  👅  👍  👅  👍    !!!

Edited by esk_pedja

Posted (edited)

“Additionally, aircraft crews are also being created and as you already know, the G-suits worn by USAAF pilots appeared after the events of the Normandy, and therefore we created a model of an American pilot in an earlier uniform:“

Does this mean the g-suits will become a modification? Will a P-51B/C or other early American planes be able to use a g-suit in a late war scenario? What about the late variants, will they be able to have the g-suit removed? I do not know if the g-suit was standard before the P-51 D was available. I think it would be a nice option!

Edited by Esco
  • Upvote 1

That railyard is beautiful, thats what I was hoping to see in Bodenplatte. Hopefully we get some in Normandy.

_VLS_01.jpg

Will the G suits be made an option for the Normandy Aircraft? Because many of the aircraft that flew in Normandy also flew later during the Bodenplatte timeframe.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Now I can do a similar Stuka Angriff at the railway yard just like in this video.

Edit:

Besides the often mentioned railway yard all other screenshots of summer Veliki Luki do have a very natural/ organic appearance.

Edited by Uufflakke

4 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

What is the benefit of thick wings?

In general, thick wings provide more lift at low speeds, and more drag at high speeds. They might house more robust structural elements, but I'm not sure about that.

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Only if they did an "Operation Jubilee" Typhoon (early), Spit IXc (early), Fw-190A4, Boston III pack... but I wouldn't get my hopes up. :) Still fun to think about (especially as the Do-217E would make a good part of such a 1942 pack and it could reuse the Normandy map).

• Like 1

The new Velikie Luki looks great! Makes me hopeful we might see the terrain added to the career mode in some shape or form!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sevenless said:

Saw that as well. Maybe they can copy&paste that to the Rhineland map a few dozen times. Would help the atmosphere there. Also twin-line rail tracks are sorely needed in the Rhineland.

It would be nice if the map system was such that revisions could be added in small chunks by third parties/volunteers... I don't think the map format is simple enough, open enough, or modular enough though... but, of course, I have no idea!

1 hour ago, Esco said:

Does this mean the g-suits will become a modification?

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

Will the G suits be made an option for the Normandy Aircraft? Because many of the aircraft that flew in Normandy also flew later during the Bodenplatte timeframe.

iirc, the G-suit already is a modification for the p51. However, it's not selected like optional modifications. It's use is date restricted, so the G-suit is forced off before the date threshold, and forced on after. I wish I could remember the date off the top of my head-- maybe someone else can help with that.

Anyway, I don't know if/how the devs plan to implement the G-suit for other aircraft, but I doubt it would be hard to set it up the same way as the 51.

• Upvote 1

Wow, this DD and COD update all in one week.  Thanks team BOX:yahoo:

3 hours ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

Typhoon huh?

weeeeeeee.png

I look forward to seeing Youtube videos of you not flying it because it might be, y'know, kind of dangerous. :unsure:

My wife just asked me why was I dribbling.

I couldn’t respond with my mouth full of drool.

I finally managed to spray her with “new map and femme fatale pilotesses”.

She suggested I put the iPad down and go and play with my model trains instead for a while followed up by “for a 74 year old child you are pathetic”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, pilotpierre said:

My wife just asked me why was I dribbling.

I couldn’t respond with my mouth full of drool.

I finally managed to spray her with “new map and femme fatale pilotesses”.

She suggested I put the iPad down and go and play with my model trains instead for a while followed up by “for a 74 year old child you are pathetic”. 

She should be proud, I don't know many 74 year old children. You're unique!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

She should be proud, I don't know many 74 year old children. You're unique!

Hear hear! Young at heart!

6 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Hurricane has had some minor delays, but nothing horrible. Probably end of next month. 

Jason

Regarding the Typhoon - do you know if there will be gunsight options (like on the Yak)? It would be nice to have the standard gunsight as well as the field modified windscreen gunsight... it also should be doable (not requiring any other changes to the cockpit).

7 hours ago, RavN_Sone said:

Bringing into the game an equivalent of 'station notes' for planes as well would be verry beneficial too, easing the learning curve for newcomers!

*dreaming about a kneeboard-like functionality 😌

Just in case anyone was unaware of this very handy mod, check it out:

• Upvote 1

The new female pilot models look fantastic.  I loved that you added them to the early Yaks too.  Definitely a first.  I hope it finds its way into the gaming press.

• Like 1

Now, THAT's a DD!  Looking forward to all of these!!!!!

Happy Clapping GIF - Happy Clapping Excited - Discover & Share GIFs

The new free map...whoa...hopefully that MOST AWESOME rail yard is stacked with loads of fuel and munition railcars just aching for some pyrotechnic delights. I’d just have a hoot strafing the hell outta that thing in quick combat mode with VR.

F6BAC92F-13DD-464D-95B7-0F18F178818B.jpeg

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

That railyard is beautiful, thats what I was hoping to see in Bodenplatte. Hopefully we get some in Normandy.

_VLS_01.jpg

Dear God, I mean Zeus, that railyard is insane. Beautiful work.

• Like 1