On 8/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Bemused said:

Meh. Came over from IL2. Interface is beyond clunky but navigated that using manual. Got keys setup, clunky again. Followed manual to get 109 F4 in air then everytime I tried to raise gear started shaking like an earthquake. Back to Sturmovik for me.

It require more knowledge to fly cod and a minimum of interest. 
I am on thin ice myself when it comes to mastering the more sophisticated features in this game. 
I love the prospect of learning , being good at something , basically all the things GB lack. 
I have nothing against GB, I love flying there too. But giving a review to someone asking for a honest opinion , while at the same time showing such ignorance in every sentence is in my mind pathetic. 
you give no one a favor

On 8/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, Sokol1 said:

Anyway, this Flashcards (English version) was updated today, download and drop in the folder, or where you want.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=225

Flash cards are well done but still advising the old fantasy: Switch magnets.

At least for CloD planes, e.g. Spitfire Mk.I-100 octanas in 5.0 is just require Open Fuel cock and hit I key  for engine start.

Ye select engine fuelchock , have throttle exactly right push start button. By pushing the start button the program will put magnetos on by itself. You can choose to do it yourself. 

What I like most is the piloting of aircraft the lack of auto level 

you can set course on autopilot on bombers and trim it to climb. It just more complex, need a bit more patience in learning process. 
It is better for me, not for all. It all depend on what you like to do. 
For squadrons with ambitions it is a way better software than GB in many aspects 

With success, something I really hope it will be improved 

I'm enjoying it a lot, really like the damage model clod and the rest it comes with.

Just got it and been setting up and flying for a couple hours.  I've got about 700 hours in BoX and DCS and I've got to admit, I am really enjoying the immersion this sim provides.  The engine management is much more complex than BoX and the AI is WAY better. 

I do wish there was a visual zoom though (and I don't mean the instrument panel snap view; I still can't make out the readings).  There are lots more 'little' things that add up to a much more immersive experience, IMO. 

Another concern is that not all my Virpil stick and throttle buttons and switches are recognized and are therefore not usable; that is a big one 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, konate said:

I do wish there was a visual zoom though (and I don't mean the instrument panel snap view; I still can't make out the readings).  There are lots more 'little' things that add up to a much more immersive experience, IMO. 

you can, under Camera settings map a keybind for Field of View + and Field of View -

I use a hat switch on my throttle which works really well for this, but I know some people like to use a slider which I'm not entirely sure you can map. In any case, use the field of view options 👍

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, konate said:

Game have 2 kind of zoom, one is FOV + and FOV - that zoom the whole "world"  (e.g  plane cockpit, gunsight circle, target ahead) up to ~110%.

Other is zoom only inside cockpit - gunsight circle, target remains the same, but is complicated to use, need press a mouse button (see in CAMERA

"Hold to Zoom Camera") and move mouse back and forth.

Another concern is that not all my Virpil stick and throttle buttons and switches are recognized and are therefore not usable; that is a big one 

Happens that VirPil (and VKB) controllers having more than 32 buttons. is too modern for the game. 😁

Game use a old DImput DLL that follow Windows (obsolete) Game Controllers limits: 32 buttons, POV HAT, 8 axes.

But you can use the buttons above # 32 through a keymapper software, eg. JoyToKey, Joystick Gremlin.

JoyTokey is simple to use, don't require install, just drop in a folder and run "As administrator".  Joystick Gremlin require install vJoy first.

Download the version JoyToKey_128, that manage up to 128 buttons, and use for buttons above #32.

Another option is use VirPil software and create a new virtual joystick with their  buttons above #32.

48 minutes ago, konate said:

Like Sokol said, keymapper software is the way to go now. I’m using Joystick Gremlin with my Virpil gear, and when mapping controls and a button is not recognized, I remap that physical button as vJoy button.

Posted (edited)

Thanks!  Brain is fried now as I've been loading all this new experience/mapping/familiarity.  I'll check out joystick gremlin/JoyToKey soon.  I'll be in touch with that....

🙃

you can, under Camera settings map a keybind for Field of View + and Field of View -

Great! That works!!!!  Unfortunately, the "Reset View" doesn't return the FoV back to the original setting.

Edited by konate

The AI is sooooo much better then i remember. It flies as a 2 ship element and the wingmen actively protect the leader. Many times i have seen the wingman of the aircraft i am attacking maneuvering to shoot me only to be driven off by my wingman. And when under attack the AI will jink while buying time for their wingman to line up on your six if you've lost your wingman already. 

Also the P-40 is an absolute monster to both fly and fly against. I think it will be more reasonable to tackle once the 109F FM is fixed but still an awesome addition to clod.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I also feel a great improvement in the AI behavior with various manoeuver and tactics

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips!!! Got all the zooming and resetting all figured.  

As for the tips on using buttons greater than #32, I've had much harder luck in that area.

JoyToKey: There was a suggestion I use the

On 8/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, Sokol1 said:

Download the version JoyToKey_128, that manage up to 128 buttons, and use for buttons above #32.

and I also found this reference on the JoyToKey site:

https://joytokey.net/en/posts/configure-up-to-50-joysticks-128-buttons/

Which included a link to the "beta" version which installed and was limited in linking only up to the first 32 buttons (or at least only 32 buttons were listed to link to) to keyboard commands; despite the article mentioning 50 or even 128 buttons.

Devreorder: On pg 32 of the users manual; followed all the directions, put all the files where they needed to be, and all the instructions (#1-5), labeled all the joysticks correctly using the tool provided in the download, and no buttons beyond #32 were available.

vJoy/Joystick Gremlin: In order to use Joystick Gremlin, you need vJoy installed and I've let it install for 24 min now and vJoy version 2.1.9.2  still hasn't completed.  This is my second attempt, so I figure it isn't working.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, konate said:

and I also found this reference on the JoyToKey site:

https://joytokey.net/en/posts/configure-up-to-50-joysticks-128-buttons/

Download JoyTokey version 6.5 (beta), in the tab options in "Number of buttons to configure [Max 128]" set 64 or 28 buttons, by default is set 32.

Someone in this forum request this feature, for use with VirPil throttle, JoyToKey developer add and the guy test with success.

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)

Yes, thank you!!! The default setting is 32, but you can change that.  I'm am better than good to go!!!!  

Is it possible to disable this function so it doesn't affect my other sims?

Also, you should be able to use this for Star Wars Squadrons on release, as it's not supposed to have HOTAS support at that time. 😜

I have to say, again, how much I prefer this to the other 2 sims.  I never expected that.  I've been flying Great Battles since BoM and DCS for a couple years and I've never had as much trouble landing as I have in Desert Wings.  Of course I can't find the runways, either...

Question about the quick missions.  I thought it was possible to fly with the opposition in red/blue specific quick missions but have not been able to.  Am I wrong?  I'd love to oppose huge bomber formations or torpedo attacks on ships.

Edited by konate

konate,
just click the little pilot on top of the plane you want to fly in the screen where all flights and aircraft are shown. The colored one is your flight. 

IMHO There is so much adjustable and flexibility in Clod Tobruk, but at times the awkward UI makes it a challenge to discover all these powerful features!!!? 

At the time when I first laid eyes on the Clod Blitz UI I remember thinking... OMG... ! 

But it grew on me and now it seems... Ok. 

YMMV though. 

I was messing with the mission editor to make some training scenarios and boy, I couldn't even figure out how to add a single plane on a runway to practice takeoffs!

6 hours ago, konate said:

Yes, thank you!!! The default setting is 32, but you can change that.  I'm am better than good to go!!!!  

Is it possible to disable this function so it doesn't affect my other sims?

Also, you should be able to use this for Star Wars Squadrons on release, as it's not supposed to have HOTAS support at that time. 😜

I don't understand well you question, about "disable".

But If you don't start JoyToKey, neither create profiles using buttons above # 32 for others games no "collateral effect.

Anyway JoyTokey allow configure up 50 (virtual) "joysticks" (!?) so you can have one with 32 buttons, one with 64 or 128 buttons, each with profiles for a given game.

In JoyToKey "Settings(S)" in "Associate profiles with the application...(A)" you can set for JoyToKey recognize what game you start and load the necessary profile for that game automatically.

BTW - IL-2:GB, X-Plane support 64 (DX) buttons, DCS 128), so for this games you can map T50CM throttle buttons direct in Controls GUI.

3 hours ago, konate said:

I was messing with the mission editor to make some training scenarios and boy, I couldn't even figure out how to add a single plane on a runway to practice takeoffs!

It's similar to the way old Il-2 FMB worked. Just hit Insert key to place the plane on the map, drag it with left mouse to nearest airfield, right click on it to set all its properties.

Love the tongue in cheeky approach!😘

I'm really enjoying this game. The variety of planes to fly is very impressive and the cockpit detail is exceptional. There are several reasons that I prefer this to The Battle Of Stalingrad. The main reason is that the time compression never worked for me in BOS. It pretended to, but all it actually did was mute the audio. You always remained at 1X. In this game, I take off and then engage the autopilot. Then I go to 8X time compression and come out of it a couple of minutes before I arrive at the coordinates. To me, that's huge. FPS is also great in this game. The only time I drop under 100 fps is when there is a battle involving 30 plus planes, and even then I've never been under 60fps. So, for me, this is money well spent and hours of enjoyment. 🙂

• Upvote 6

On 8/10/2020 at 10:34 PM, konate said:

Thanks!  Brain is fried now as I've been loading all this new experience/mapping/familiarity.  I'll check out joystick gremlin/JoyToKey soon.  I'll be in touch with that....

🙃

Great! That works!!!!  Unfortunately, the "Reset View" doesn't return the FoV back to the original setting.

What I do is set one key to FOV 30 (zoomed in) and one key to FOV 90 (normal view, I think 70 is too narrow for me but maybe you might like 70 more), then I just snap between those 2 zoom levels. Works great!

I personally use the coolie hat on my joystick to switch between 30, 70 and 90° FoV. The FoV +/- commands are mapped to the keyboard and only used when I need that extra bit of zoom to identify contacts at a distance.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

On 8/11/2020 at 2:34 AM, konate said: 
Unfortunately, the "Reset View" doesn't return the FoV back to the original setting.

What I do is set one key to FOV 30 (zoomed in) and one key to FOV 90 (normal view, I think 70 is too narrow for me but maybe you might like 70 more), then I just snap between those 2 zoom levels. Works great!

Easy. You can combine game controls + JoyTokey  (an even + JoyToKey button alias).*

Example, set joy button 10 reset view (in Camera).

But you whant this at 60º (default is End key in Camera).

CloD allow use the same joy button for more than one command, but not in the same category (Camera in the case) , so no joy.

For solve, set in JoyToKey (or other keymapper) for joy button 10 press End key, now camera reset always in FOV 60º.  Two birds with one stone. 😜

*JoytoKey button alias allow that when you press e.g. joy button 10, a virtual button is pressed together - use a number for this virtual button above the physical number of buttons in your joystick (e.g. #33 to 128), but for this case is not needed.

Edited by Sokol1

Kameraden,

I was away on vacation the first week, finally got online last night and had a couple of great dogfights. Since I'm used to the interface, it doesn't bother me much. Looking forward to getting all the planes in the air and setup.

S!

Posted (edited)

I like DW Tobruk for the most part, but I do feel that the maps needs some improving in terms of what's called landclass textures in other sims. As well, some of the terrain texture are in need of better contrast, like gravel runways and the surrounding sand.

I'm a big fan of flying twin engines with my dual throttle HOTAS setup, so I really welcome the edition of the Wellington and Junkers 88. I haven't got to the 88 yet, but I'm finding the Wellington more of a challenge than I thought it would be - engines overheat faster than a baby with a fever and it's hard to get up to a decent speed. Very cool though that you can switch to the nose and tail gunners, as well as the bombardier positions in it. Not to mention the modeling of the cockpit and those stations are darn impressive, albeit the nose and tail gunners are identical (was that true in real aircraft?), so the only way to know which your in is by making quick glances at the moving land below.

I really like the new, late version Beaufighters and love that you can fly with 2 x 500 LB'ers strapped under your wings. I also really like the Martlet III, for which I've found the flight modelling to be superior to any other sim I've flown a F4F Wildcat in - gives a flying experience much closer to what I've read about. TBH, so far I've been flying more on the Channel map with the new aircaft than on the Tobruk map. There's still so many new aircraft I haven't tried yet - not sure how or when I'll get to them all.   ;)

Edited by SNAPKronovanX
  • Upvote 3