vonduck

Increase in user base Tobruk?

Hi guys,

Toying whether to get Tobruk or not. Ive payed Blitz for a long time but on multiplayer there are very few players most of the time. Do you think this new release will see more players involved online?

Nobody will know this, but all we hope!

I already purchased that, also if I made to myself the same question, cause finally I have to give to it a chance.

In my opinion this game has bigger possiblity then BoX: ground objects, naval objects and a more challenging flying's skills made me felt in love with CoD.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is an example of ATAG server in a TF test mission done the 4th april 2020 (93 pilots):

113.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's already been more online presence noted since Tobruk release was announced, some new and some returning after long absence to re-examine the game in preparation for Tobruk. Typically evening UK time sees the most traffic.

Since 2012 only TF mods made Cliffs playable, plus some additional content. Compare that to the increasingly expanded / updated GB series or newer DCS series and it's easy to see players attention spent elsewhere. Personally I have no interest in the Russian front nor modern aircraft so Cliffs theater and time period suits all my flightsim needs.

While not absolutes Cliffs has appealed more to the older history/warbird enthusiast than gamer. This Tobruk release will definitely bridge that gap initially at least, just by the very nature of being new. I've no doubt there'll be an increase in the servers but whether players stay around is impossible to say. Cliffs is a tough learning curve for the impatient, and I still see posts about using keyboards or game controllers. Proper flight simulation is a niche audience. Fingers crossed others enjoy it as much as we do already.

Daz

Yes, agree with this comments above... i do like the earlier war birds for sure as well... seems more skill based than anything....

I think i will take the plunge, perhaps link up with the UK servers (in Mexico) so not to great a time difference

2 hours ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

Here is an example of ATAG server in a TF test mission done the 4th april 2020 (93 pilots):

-Snip-

Dude, this was posted over and over again. It was only a test mission with more or less long announcement time. It´is not representative for "daily use" of CoD Blitz.

Just look at the SteamCharts:  https://steamcharts.com/app/754530

101 peak players in the last 30 Days. ( I´m one of them 1-2 times a week)  Between 70 to 80/90ish players in average. I can understand everybody´s wish to see a gain in player numbers, but those numbers don´t lie unfortunately. Let´s face it, this game is dead since a long time.

I really keep my fingers crossed that with the release of Tobruk those player numbers will grow over the time.

The Dev. Team and the Game itself deserves it.

Edited by Semor76
Typo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vonduck said:

Yes, agree with this comments above... i do like the earlier war birds for sure as well... seems more skill based than anything....

I think i will take the plunge, perhaps link up with the UK servers (in Mexico) so not to great a time difference

I'm in Canada on Eastern Time Zone so it's afternoon for me on the ATAG server based in the US. Week days and weekends are the same. I'm not working due to covid rules on entertainment so it works out fine. I'm sure we'll see more round the clock players as others join in. 

Daz

S!

There has been people on TWC and ATAG lately and I hope Tobruk will increase interest. As Semor said, the devs and the game deserve it. And Tobruk/Mediterranean theatre is a rarity too, not the same old BoB or Eastern front.

53 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Dude, this was posted over and over again. It was only a test mission with more or less long announcement time. It´is not representative for "daily use" of CoD Blitz.

Just look at the SteamCharts:  https://steamcharts.com/app/754530

101 peak players in the last 30 Days. ( I´m one of them 1-2 times a week)  Between 70 to 80/90ish players in average. I can understand everybody´s wish to see a gain in player numbers, but those numbers don´t lie unfortunately. Let´s face it, this game is dead since a long time.

I really keep my fingers crossed that with the release of Tobruk those player numbers will grow over the time.

The Dev. Team and the Game itself deserves it.

What it does show is that when asked to do a server test it is full. Every test I saw for the past few years is the same. There are plenty of players available but with other, newer content games presently keeping their attention. Which is only logical compared to our older, unsupported (officially) Cliffs. I've no doubt we'll see more users after Tobruk launches, but then add in factors of learning curve difficulty & patience, comparison to other favoured games, general topical interest and the very fickle nature of gamers and we can only see what happens. 

Likewise I hope for the best. TF and Cliffs deserve better general recognition than they've had.

However the Cliffs community itself is as important, if not moreso, for many of us who aren't young gamers. Supporters will stay on, haters will spout their rhetoric in favour of another title, and general players will come and go as their attention determines. It is after all just a game intended for fun, and we already have that regardless the number.

Daz

Edited by dazako
  • Like 1

S!

@dazako Fully agree on not being too young anymore. I was not even in my 40s when CloD was released 😨Simulators as a hobby propably has one of the highest averages when looking at player ages. Compare to ADHD shooters where age is considerably younger on average. 

MS FS2020 is released soon, which will affect some too. But I hope Tobruk and the fixes and other improvements will draw people back. And hopefully also VR support comes which will draw some more.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Dude, my screenshot has been posted twice... sorry if it is too much for your delicate eyes...

According to the SteamCharts in July, there is 90 players each day...

It's seems the 93 players in my screenshot is "representative" on the contrary...

I have not played cliffs of dover since back in 2012-2013 and ive Pre-ordered Tobruk and im going to play it in MP.

And im confident that im not alone in this.

So hopefully there will be an OK playerbase.

But additionally the servers for Clod seem to be better when it comes to using AI etc to make the maps feel more alive so even if you dont get 80-100 people on the server it should still be enjoyable.

I myself tested Clod Blitz MP for the first time the other day (Since last time i played was when it was just a Mod)

and despite there only being 6 people on the server (around noon in the EU)

I had no issues finding targets thanks to the Radar ground control.

What stands out in the Steam charts is the disastrous effect on player numbers that the release of Blitz edition had.....

• Upvote 1

Steam has what it says is total hours I've played CloD/Blitz even tho I don't enter MP servers except to set ammo belts. Does Steam separate hours spent in MP servers from non-MP hours spent running Blitz?

13 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Steam has what it says is total hours I've played CloD/Blitz even tho I don't enter MP servers except to set ammo belts. Does Steam separate hours spent in MP servers from non-MP hours spent running Blitz?

No.  Those steam numbers linked track simply anybody running the actual game (SP or MP)

10 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

No.  Those steam numbers linked track simply anybody running the actual game (SP or MP)

But if that's what the Steam graphs are showing how can we know avg. MP-only activity? You certainly wouldn't want to conflate my stats with MP-only usage. OTOH maybe the assumption is that there is negligible activity other than MP use. IDK.

13 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

But if that's what the Steam graphs are showing how can we know avg. MP-only activity? You certainly wouldn't want to conflate my stats with MP-only usage. OTOH maybe the assumption is that there is negligible activity other than MP use. IDK.

Completely correct. When you look at the steam stats link to see that, for example, 76 players are currently playing -- but only seeing 7 players in a search to find a MP game - then that tells you that 69 of the 76 in this case are single players who are running the game.

People can't use the steam stats link to try and show multiplayer numbers as it doesn't differentiate.

7 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Completely correct. When you look at the steam stats link to see that, for example, 76 players are currently playing -- but only seeing 7 players in a search to find a MP game - then that tells you that 69 of the 76 in this case are single players who are running the game.

People can't use the steam stats link to try and show multiplayer numbers as it doesn't differentiate.

It's likely this, I know flight sims tend to have a lot of mainly SP only players (myself included).

I've pre-ordered Tobruk and I'll probably try and hop on MP when Tobruk is out to help boost the number of MP players, CLoD definitely deserves more attention and more players, extremely underrated sim/game in my opinion.

I know MP is a completely different animal to fighting against AI in scripted missions, especially when it's such a niche game with a small base of dedicated players with a high skill threshold, so I would appreciate any tips for doing well in MP! I used to do really well in WT Sim before becoming an IL-2 convert (1946, CLoD and BoX), but I struggled when trying BoX MP (mostly from the change in meta and not knowing where to look for enemies, as well as the higher average skill level when I would manage to make contact). I mostly play SP nowadays (I enjoy the historical re-enactment aspect + other aspects), but I wouldn't mind getting into MP again to help the game out. However I'd like to become more than just boring cannon fodder for the better players, and hopefully actually be a threat/challenging opponent.

I'd say I'm very comfortable with things like gunnery, engine management, energy management and flying in general, so would like slightly more specific advice on things like where to hunt (e.g. what kinda altitudes Axis players tend to fly at compared to Allied players, or what types of areas on the map players tend to be found around), or particular skills I should work on that are useful/important (e.g. air combat maneuvers, which tend to not really be needed in SP and thus is something I've been neglecting) , or just any advice more experienced MP players might have, I'm always keen to learn and improve. Cheers in advance!

3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

And hopefully also VR support comes which will draw some more.

This is also true. I'm a TrackIR guy so VR support doesn't matter for me, and I know tons of people on this board get annoyed by the constant "VR WHEN" posts, but I would definitely like to see VR support soon just for all the potential additional players, something this game definitely deserves, and would love for more people to be able to appreciate what a great sim this is.

3 minutes ago, Dirtbag_Jim said:

So would like slightly more specific advice on things like where to hunt (e.g. what kinda altitudes Axis players tend to fly at compared to Allied players, or what types of areas on the map players tend to be found around), or particular skills I should work on that are useful/important (e.g. air combat maneuvers, which tend to not really be needed in SP and thus is something I've been neglecting) , or just any advice more experienced MP players might have, I'm always keen to learn and improve. Cheers in advance!

My personal advise: Find a buddy.

The most beautiful thing of fly in multiplayer is share your adventure with another human player. This is above all.

Then you will learn all you need. If you join a team with some experienced player your learning curve will be pretty fast, they can give you some good advise for every tactical situation.

Thanks to some good player in my team I had the possible to learn a lot in just some weeks. ;)

While I have CloD (and Tobruk since on pre-sale), I have only gone online with BoX.

But good news if you want a sitting duck to fire to, you can already add me to the player base.

I'll be there as an example of the 'new toy' effect.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sergio_ said:

While I have CloD (and Tobruk since on pre-sale), I have only gone online with BoX.

But good news if you want a sitting duck to fire to, you can already add me to the player base.

I'll be there as an example of the 'new toy' effect.

Don't worry Sergio, in CLoD is so difficult to aim that I will miss you also if you don't move 😅

• Haha 1

It's release night and even then there was only ONE Server hosting a tobruk map and when I disconnected 3.5hrs after release there were less than 100 players on the servers in the list total. So IMO it's a less than promising start of a resurgence. Let's see what happens.

S!

Reddog, it is late in EU. I had to leave too, even TFS was packed with people. Have to sleep some :P

I think for a Thursday on release day where people are still downloading, buying, and servers updating their missions, to see a full server is a pretty good sign. (TFS 3 was pakced and ATAG teamspeak had more people on it than I've seen in ages.) I think this weekend is going to be pretty busy!

Edited by ATAG_Flare
  • Upvote 1

The regional pricing is a bit of a mess with this one, I think that could be affecting numbers. In Canada the base price is $90 with the release sale dropping that to $76, out of the ten friends on my list who own Cliff's and play sims regularly only one has purchased this. I'm not saying this isn't worth $90 but I am saying that's a pretty big tab for a lot of people at the end of the day, especially during the current state of the world.

Anyway, just a thought. I'd love to see this do well and succeed but only time will tell if the ticket to ride is too much of a pill for most to swallow.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Reddog, it is late in EU. I had to leave too, even TFS was packed with people. Have to sleep some :P

It was released at 18.00, I finished at 21.30. Hardly "late".

7 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

I think for a Thursday on release day where people are still downloading, buying, and servers updating their missions, to see a full server is a pretty good sign. (TFS 3 was pakced and ATAG teamspeak had more people on it than I've seen in ages.) I think this weekend is going to be pretty busy!

Flare, with today's internet speeds downloading 11GB is sub an hour. I know this will come as a shock but the game needs more than just ATAG. Seeing one packed server from a list of what, 8 or 10 servers, is not a good sign IMO for the longevity of the sim. For goodness sake it was 4 years ago we used to manage 2 or 3 packed servers. ATAG, ACG and SOW. This release has been hyped for nigh on 3 years. 

Be interesting to know how many copies have been sold. Suspect we will never be told that. Given Buzzsaw told me he would not consider TF6 if 5 did not sell 50k copies it wouldn't be worth it.

25 minutes ago, No.54_Reddog said:

Be interesting to know how many copies have been sold. Suspect we will never be told that. Given Buzzsaw told me he would not consider TF6 if 5 did not sell 50k copies it wouldn't be worth it.

Easy task. Just monitor Steam spy over the next Days/weeks. IMHO to sell 50k copies could be ambitious with that steep price tag for an DLC for a game with a nearly 10 year old engine under the hood.

The comments on steam seems to prove me right.

4 hours ago, =SqSq=Sulaco said:

The regional pricing is a bit of a mess with this one, I think that could be affecting numbers. In Canada the base price is $90 with the release sale dropping that to $76, out of the ten friends on my list who own Cliff's and play sims regularly only one has purchased this. I'm not saying this isn't worth $90 but I am saying that's a pretty big tab for a lot of people at the end of the day, especially during the current state of the world.

Anyway, just a thought. I'd love to see this do well and succeed but only time will tell if the ticket to ride is too much of a pill for most to swallow.

I would second this. The price in germany is set to 64,99€ -15% discount. Dont get me wrong here, I highly appreciate the work Team fusion has made to bring this broken piece of software to acceptable standarts. But I think the price tag is too steep for a sim with that desatrous history. IMHO 30-35 maybe 40€ would be fair. The 90$ price for an old game like CoD is, will scare many potentially new players away and leave only the small bunch of die hard simmers as customers here.

I will have to pass Tobruk at this time as well and have to wait till a sale is on. It´s too expensive for me right now and I´m sure I will not allone with this decision.

The pricing is not up to Team Fusion to set themselves I believe but down to 1C. Seems a bit strange but there you have it.

The arguments about price points are interesting, for every person saying I won't pay that there is probably another saying they will or have. There are people speculatively gambling that VR will be added if they buy now "to support the devs" who do not intend to even play the game until VR. We will never know if they'd have made more money (I think it's reasonable to assume they'd have made more unit sales) if it were pitched at say 60% of what it currently is.

There is a dichotomy between value and worth that can only be resolved by the individual pressing the buy button.

Yesterday, according to steamspy peak concurrent players for Blitz was 376. According to steamcharts the peak was 368.

The highest peak for Blitz ever was 444, so on that basis the release of Tobruk has already lost 16% compared to the release of Blitz. 

Now compare that to Stalingrad (which on steam doesn't control 100% of market share as it were) the peak for the tobruk release period was 387. So the new patch release for Blitz still didn't take concurrent users over the peak for Stalingrad.

Now of course this is "concurrent" players not total, and it doesn't show whether these players bought the DLC or not.

But I'd say it's not painting a rosy picture at this moment. Of course it may turn around with the hordes of players just chomping at the bit to play the game at the weekend.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, No.54_Reddog said:

There are people speculatively gambling that VR will be added if they buy now "to support the devs" who do not intend to even play the game until VR. We will never know if they'd have made more money (I think it's reasonable to assume they'd have made more unit sales) if it were pitched at say 60% of what it currently is.

There is a dichotomy between value and worth that can only be resolved by the individual pressing the buy button.

Well, I find this attitude some kind of strange - I don't have master degree in economics, but how is the dev team supposed to fund the development of VR?

Let me guess, a lot of people are used to get things for free from the community - be it mods, skins, graphical enhancement, support - and the fact that the

guys of this dev team came from the "free contributors" (even though being professionals) let them think they shouldn't charge prizes like companies
would actually do. I mean, shall they still work for free?

I don't like this selfish attitude and I'm sure those complaining about the prize tag are the first ones not willing to work for free. They should think about it.

I think you either misread or misunderstood the part of the post you quoted. 

Your argument is specious btw. Those complaining about the price are not asking for it to be free. They're entitled to vote with their wallets and express why they did so. I'm sure TF and 1C were expecting such comments and have done their sums, I can't imagine that 1C said "we can't have TF release Tobruk cheaper than our releases with more content, that would make us look bad"... ;)

Being a consumer isn't about charity, it's about evaluating whether they believe something is worth the asking price and whether they can afford it. For example, I'd very much like a Ferrari but I don't have the money and even if I did, I don't think it would be worth the asking price for me. That doesnt mean that i think Ferrari should give me one for free.

• Upvote 2

I have not yet down loaded. I have to find my trackir and tweak a little bit. I wont be ready for flight myself just yet. I am sure it is a lot of folks like me