Thanks for the effort, BUT;

1) Check spellings, especially “headings” such as “Performance” rather than “Preformance”.

2) I know it might feel like the SE has a 150 hp engine but actually it supposedly has a 200 hp Viper W4a fitted.

3) I thought the Cooper bombs were 20lb, not 25lb.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

1) Check spellings, especially “headings” such as “Performance” rather than “Preformance”.

I think Preformance sums up the Se5a nicely.

• Haha 2

Welcome to the forum!

A bit of constructive criticism:

7gNrDGR.jpg

It's realistic to cruise at 85% throttle, but even at 100% you should not have to worry about overheating, as you can open the radiator.

Make sure that you have open/close radiator bound to a slider or wheel on your throttle, if you have one.

For more info on the S.E.5a, take a look at Requiem's very comprehensive guide:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Welcome to the forum!

A bit of constructive criticism:

7gNrDGR.jpg

It's realistic to cruise at 85% throttle, but even at 100% you should not have to worry about overheating, as you can open the radiator.

Make sure that you have open/close radiator bound to a slider or wheel on your throttle, if you have one.

For more info on the S.E.5a, take a look at Requiem's very comprehensive guide:

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I completely forgot about the radiator lol. I mainly just based that part of my own experiences with the plane, but this all totally helps. As Swayne Martin "There's no better way to learn about aviation than by teaching it" lmao.

Posted (edited)

I am in agreement with the first and third points that @HagarTheHorrible makes.

I don't know about everyone else but (in various Entente types) I've never particularly found that one needs to avoid maximum power for fear of causing overheating? Unless the person in the cockpit is being forgetful or the aircraft has received damage then the radiator seems to be able to handle the heat from whatever power you demand. This leads me onto the my next point. There is not much use knowing the position for the magnetos in the sim but there might be some use in knowing the existence and location for a lever that controls the radiator.

Never mind @J5_Hellbender covered this part before I could return home and finish the post.

If the aim is to help those new to the SE5a looking to learn the aircraft in IL2 then consider what details would be of use to them. If I was a Camel jockey (which I am) and was now trying my hand at the SE5a for the first time (which it is not) then some other things about the aircraft that might find useful to be informed about (which are not included atm) in the guide might be;

• That there is a control for the radiator. And indicating the position on the cockpit image.
  • That there is an adjustable elevator so that you can trim the pitch. And indicating the controls position on the cockpit image.
  • That the Lewis can be tilted up (and how) to fire at enemies above you. Ammo state for this can also be determined as spare drums can be seen in the cockpit.
  • The RPM that I need to remain under (for example while diving) to ensure I do not bugger the engine.
  • The temperature that I should I endeavour to remain under/above (and what temperature to aim for) to ensure I do not bugger the engine.
  • I'm not sure whether in FC each aircraft has its own peculiarities around spin recoveries as was the case in ROF? If so the spin recovery for the aircraft would be some use.

Two of your seven slides are being used up with just data on performance and specification. That could be condensed onto one (or even merged with other slides). And again if I was transitioning from the Camel to the SE5a in IL2 would knowing for example the airfoil or height aid me in doing so, probably not, they are interesting factoids about the aircraft to include, but probably do not require almost a third of the slides in the guide devoted to them.

On the second slide the text saying "of the S.E.5s, but after a" ends up in front of the aircrafts shadow (and some grass mixed in) and the poor contrast makes that part harder to read.

Just my opinion and constructive criticism. 

Edited by Oliver88
  • Upvote 1

I would say No.1 on the list of things to know about flying the SE5a in FC1 MP is to find someone else to fly with (preferably someone who is on comms with you). As a "lone wolf" you cannot expect to engage the Central fighters in "duelling" successfully.  As the mount for a  single combatant who wishes to survive the sortie, the SE is a hit-and-run merchant, and this requires a huge  amount of patience.  Diving on a DVII, DVa, Dr1, you have to to be right first time, or just carry on diving and hope they don't get a lucky shot as you do.  Assuming you survive, then it's time to climb back up to a "safe" altitude, and start again.  If you do not stick to this MO, you will get shot down.

However,  two (or more) SEs, flown in cooperation, become a much more serious proposition.  "Boom 'n' Zoom" now works  because, whereas the lone attacker can get prop-hanged with no comeback, now the second-of-two can usually get a decent burst into the prop-hanger.  Okay, so that's not exactly news around here, but it's why (IMHO) the SE is described as  the "Ace-maker" - it was a machine which kept you safe if you flew with others and observed the various dicta.

I know there are many (many) better SE pilots out there than me, but this is the beginner's experience I'd like to add to your guide.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Oliver88 said:

I'm not sure whether in FC each aircraft has its own peculiarities around spin recoveries as was the case in ROF? If so the spin recovery for the aircraft would be some use.

Does anyone actually have a hint how to recover a flat spin on the S.E.5a?

I've just witnessed a flat spin I couldn't recover from, so I thought I'd take her for a ride offline and intentionally entered a flat spin at about 7000ft altitude.

Plenty of time to recover and to try things.

The flat spin was left-handed, so the first (and most intuitive) thing I tried was throttle back, stick full forward, trim down, ailerons levelled, full opposite rudder.

The plane kept turning another 20 rounds or so without any signs of recovery.

I've tried adding ailerons both directions.

I've tried reversing rudder and elevators.

I've tried adding throttle.

Nothing, really nothing changed a single bit.

Whatever I did, the spin went on just the same, never worse, never better, no single sign of recovery whatever I tried.

Any hints?

:drinks:

Mike