Sign in to follow this  
Yardstick

P-47D-22 minor template error and partial fix

Posted (edited)

I've spotted a minor error in the template for the razorback (below).  The OD layer encroaches on the hub and propeller boss.  

Image1.jpg.a135f3d69071564ad9896c1cab37bda0.jpg

Using the default template results in the prop hub and boss looking like this.

Image3.thumb.jpg.920098c8c16552f4012f14e0410de671.jpg

It seems a number of skinners have spotted the issue and implemented the below fix.

Image2.jpg.cc3586c765fc89c20878c3ab50df3789.jpg

However, I've noticed that the some of the default schemes default replicate the error (at least in part).  Below eg is RAF 2  Its also present on RAF and Button Nose.

Image8.thumb.jpg.a638e1273ff24cd284e8aef658ad2d8d.jpg

There is also a mapping issue due to the animated prop boss sharing part of the texture with the static prop hub.  The following picture (The Blond Angel - one of the default schemes) illustrates this.

Image12.thumb.jpg.8fd83f521ef0958269abd62d86d75d12.jpg

There is a fix thanks to Raptorattacker who must have spotted it and included it on his 57th FG Wicked Wabbit skin.   You need to include a strip of 'natural metal' at the back end of the hub as well as also leaving the centre of the hub NM.

Image13.jpg.028295b1db81f6ba667efd81dc978220.jpg

The fix does mean that the paint will not completely cover the hub as you can see from the following pic.  However, it does mean that the animated boss is displayed correctly.

Image5.jpg.f72ef741d8954c7d11e791f311fbb4b9.jpg

Hopefully this will be of use to some of those skinning the Razorback Jug.

Edited by Yardstick
Formatting
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's not TOTAL but it does the job as best you can get it!

Rap

:coffee:

• Thanks 1

Also that bell housing for the radial engine should be painted the same blue as the parts around it. There is a mistake in the weathering here on the template and all the stock skins. The oil leak around the propeller shaft had the layer properties set differently and it was put into the exhaust stains layer. That created a grey effect around the oil leak art. Unfortunately, I am not very good with weathering. I managed to get the oil leak isolated from the grey area and cut out the grey but the leak does not look as good anymore. They would probably need to get the fix from the original dev template.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:31 PM, Danziger said:

They would probably need to get the fix from the original dev template.

To be honest I think that's not very likely to happen any time in the forseeable future. It's in-game and no-one other than skinners and similar types are likely to be distracted by these sort of details. I think the most likely thing that is likely to happen is that, having been made aware of these things, it may possibly help to iron out such technicalities in future models. That would be MY guess anyway. To go back over a model and attempt to repair this sort of stuff would require a not inconsiderable amount of time is all I'm saying.