Sign in to follow this  
Avimimus

Spotting, but this time it is about ground targets

Hello all,

Since spotting keeps coming up... I thought it would be interesting to discuss how realistic the experience is for mud movers trying to find ground targets. I personally find that the speckled tree appearance at long ranges produces a lot of false positives and that it can be fairly hard to pick out a group of vehicles. It is easier from directly above (i.e. flying along the road so trees are to either side), but that is hard in a fighter where one has an engine blocking the view forward and down.

I sometimes wonder if this is due to the way foliage is handled, the lighting of vehicles, the effective resolution - or whether they were hard to see and "rhubarbs" just relied on the fact that there were a lot of potential targets and would simply do a sweep covering a large area until they caught vehicles out in the open.

So:

Is it hard to sport ground targets than air targets?

Is it harder to spot ground vehicles than in real life?

Any good tips? Any fixes that might work?

Take a photo of a bird in the sky. You will pretty much not noticed it in the photo but you saw it clearly. 
I think it is not only pixels that is the problem. 
That aside I find level bombing very frustrating if above 5 K you spot the target and see it is not hit.  But just when you are about to push bomb release the complete target turn to destroyed target. 
Also the size of targets do not fit at distance. Just take a look out the window while flying

• Upvote 1

I strongly suspect ground target spotting is about right.

Certainly, it is harder than reality due to the limits of our screens, however it is certainly easier because of the lack of ground clutter and determined camouflage efforts.

We don't have to deal with small bushes, hedges, distant shadows, rural buildings and any number of other things that can confuse the view.

Avimimus,

Good questions. Here is my take on it: 

Is it harder than in real life? I’m not a pilot in real life, but I did fly a lot on commercial flights for work before Covid. Granted, the view out of the small window is not the best, but I always found that spotting ground vehicles and tracking them well was difficult until we were relatively low and often found myself reflecting that it must be hard for ground attack pilots as we were approaching for the landing. So I don’t think that it’s harder in the game. 

As for the aircraft elements blocking line of sight, you’re absolutely right and this makes it very difficult to hold formation in multiplayer when searching for vehicles, as there is a lot of banking involved to spot convoys. For fixed targets it’s easier and what I do is to take the time to study the map to narrow your search box when running in, and it makes quite a bit easier because you can use bigger landmarks as references. On large squads operations  we also have the luxury of a briefing with map extracts, which helps a lot! 

Finally, I suspect that for ground spotting your settings matter quite a bit. With my current rig my settings are not maxed out and I’m not in VR. I find that for air contacts I can usually spot them before my squad mates, but for ground targets they have tally before me. 

Ian

One of the issues I've noticed is that in all of the maps the roads are lined with trees.  Now, I wasn't around 1939-45, but when I fly these days, vehicles are pretty easy to spot even from 2-3000m altitude.  Granted the glints of reflected sunlight off of windscreens are a giveaway, but the vehicles stand out as dark dots on the lighter roads, likely because they aren't in the shadows cast by the ubiquitous trees in GB.  Just a thought for the road traffic.  Obviously tanks moving cross country and gun emplacements with camouflage don't apply.

16 minutes ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

For me, ground vehicles appear the size of hotwheels, even when I'm right on top of them!

You need to get closer.  ;)

Had a thought... I might try to land my U2 on a road with an enemy column to see how they look up close.

My only RL equivalent experience was screaming around Germany at 500' (150 meters) and 480 knots (900 kph) during exercises like REFORGER. Back then as a Recce guy, it was a matter of VIDing vehicle type and numbers of them for your Inflight Report. RL was easier in some respects because of the difference between military vehicles' color and the background/foliage. The game is easier because the speed is half and I can "zoom in" to make up for my old geezer Mk I eyeballs.

• Upvote 2

For me, I understand when all said and done it's a flight sim 'game'... with the technology available there is no way on earth it can be made just like real life.

It is what it is, and I enjoy it, just like all my other games, even with it's limitations.

Still, you can get totally immersed in it regardless.

• Upvote 2