New combined arms PvP gamemode: Advance And Secure

8 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Could we compromise and have a mix of both from time to time?  I definitely appreciate the open fields over great distances, but in real war, sometimes you don't have a choice regarding where you want to fight.  Maybe a small city in-between the great distances, forcing us to deal with unexpected tactical decisions?

Yes of course, you are right. Mix is good. I will fight wherever the battle will take place 💪.
TC is a lot of fun, and the simulation of exterior and interior is nicely done. Don't know any other tank simulation which is more realistic.
Looking for an online MP tank battle it is difficult to find a server which has a typical tank terrain. Very often they have battles in cities or woods, so I am speaking a bit more for open terrains.
That's all.

Edited by Fritz_Faber
  • Like 1

update: new map with a mix of city/open fields/hills a bit too much forest maybe but we will see how it goes. Please tell me if there are some problems. This was a complete rewriting of the mission template that will pave the way for faster mission creation so I need to get this right !

edit: I know there is a bunch of weird names for planes and bases. I will drop them later

Edited by super-truite
16 hours ago, super-truite said:

update: new map with a mix of city/open fields/hills a bit too much forest maybe but we will see how it goes. Please tell me if there are some problems. This was a complete rewriting of the mission template that will pave the way for faster mission creation so I need to get this right !

edit: I know there is a bunch of weird names for planes and bases. I will drop them later

The Kuban map in the 1318 zone?

If so, great idea... I've always thought the roads and mountains in that area would be perfect for tanks

On 12/22/2020 at 4:19 AM, super-truite said:

yes, this one. It's really difficult to find a place like this. If you know of another hilly place, I buy! AI is a bit annoying because of the forests though.

I could definitely come up with a few... the southern part of the Rhineland map has some nice hills; not too steep, but enough to add to the strategic planning of the mission.

a few ideas...

in and around the Rhineland map towns of Plum (2920.6), Gerolstein (2922.9), Dumpelfeld (2624.3). Nettersheim (2622.8).

Around the intersection of Rhineland 2721.3.

Lots more, just gotta spend some time looking around the maps.  Keep up the good work!

yes great places, sadly there is no nearby airfields 😕. I need one for each teams at no more than 35/40 km of the tank zone which restricts a lot the search. Especially in the south of the Rheinland map where there are no airfields... Maybe I will let planes spawn in the air 😅. It is a bit ugly but If I do not do it I fear I will run out of new locations. What are your thoughts ?

I've noticed some of my top choices for mission locations are in places with few airfields, such as the mountainous southeast side of the Kuban map.

before reading "maybe I will let planes spawn in the air," I was already thinking of suggesting that.

Is there such thing an an "air de-spawn" ?

Combat box has a mission in the southeast area of the Rhineland map, and because there are no airfields in a part of the map, the mission creator made their own airfield on a somewhat flat hill; when you land you'll be going slightly uphill.  It is only for landing; take-off is not an option there, unless of course you landed there on your own and took back off.

In an effort to balance a bit and motivate more people to join the russian side, there will be way more AI on the russian side. Let's see how it goes.

I think the stats are also pushing players to defend in order to get more kill instead of attacking the flags. I think I will count the statistics only for the winning team. This way you need to capture flags if you want to get good statistics. What is really wierd is that the russian side often wins by sneaking around and taking the flags by surprise while the germans get a lot of kills and lose. Please take the flags guys 😁. One perks of taking flags is that the location changes. I am fed up of spawning always at the same position and rushing to the ennemy, get killed, rince and repeat 😅. In the end I will go with what players want put I think the gameplay will be more fun and more tactical if people get an incentive to take risk and go for the flag.

13 hours ago, super-truite said:

In an effort to balance a bit and motivate more people to join the russian side, there will be way more AI on the russian side. Let's see how it goes.

I think the stats are also pushing players to defend in order to get more kill instead of attacking the flags. I think I will count the statistics only for the winning team. This way you need to capture flags if you want to get good statistics. What is really wierd is that the russian side often wins by sneaking around and taking the flags by surprise while the germans get a lot of kills and lose. Please take the flags guys 😁. One perks of taking flags is that the location changes. I am fed up of spawning always at the same position and rushing to the ennemy, get killed, rince and repeat 😅. In the end I will go with what players want put I think the gameplay will be more fun and more tactical if people get an incentive to take risk and go for the flag.

Me and most of my teammates are always trying to capture the flag and win the the current map. Not have the perfect stats! That's stupid and childish.  You may look good on the stats page but you absolutely suck ass in PvP action.  I have no respect for such players,that just sit behind the bush all game and try to ambush the enemy .Ofcourse, there's moments when you have to do that,when the situation calls for it,ofcourse! But there are guys there that wait for the enemy for the entire mission, without even knowing what the objective of the map is,or where enemy's flag ls located,scared to leave their little cozy spawn area. So,cheers to the map winners  and boo to all of the staturbators! Merry christmas!

• Haha 1

you mean the very first one in the topic ? The logic of the mission has quite changed since and the number of player was really low when testing so I am not sure how it would go. I am trying to make a map in Köln with a bridge over the Rhine has the central point. It will probably be tough to take it 😅. One issue I have is that  updating the mission logic from one map to the other was quite complicated before and so I will probably drop most of my older missions and little by little replace them with the new ones. That is why I do not make a lot of updates at the moment, because I am working on a project that allows me to design the mission with simple object placements like AI and flags and all the rest is added automatically. After that it will be possible to make several maps and hopefully update them automatically if I change the mission logic.If someone is interested it would then be possible to even design new mission without knowing much about the mission editor.

5 hours ago, super-truite said:

I am trying to make a map in Köln with a bridge over the Rhine has the central point. It will probably be tough to take it 😅

Sounds like a great idea!  Looking forward to seeing it.  And yes, I'm sure that bridge will be tough to take.  I picture a group of Ferdinands or SU-152s to line up by the base of the bridge and lay down tons of supporting fire while a few brave souls go to take the bridge.

I'm also glad to hear of this new project where you will be able to easily design missions.  Great job so far on everything!

Would you be open to extending the mission length time?  There were a few times I've been playing and we were in the middle of a thick battle, slowly pushing one way or another, and then the mission unfortunately ends, when I would have much rather pushed through and have won (or lost) the battle on our own.

Also, while I know this is mostly for tanks, I know of a couple people who very much enjoy medium-high altitude level bombing, but they feel that the missions simply don't last long enough to be worth spending all that time doing it.

And maybe, just maybe... this could one day be turned into a dynamic campaign?

Also by using your server, I have had a couple friends immediately make the decision to purchase Tank Crew, after seeing how awesome tank combat in IL-2 can be.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Would you be open to extending the mission length time?  There were a few times I've been playing and we were in the middle of a thick battle, slowly pushing one way or another, and then the mission unfortunately ends, when I would have much rather pushed through and have won (or lost) the battle on our own.

Also, while I know this is mostly for tanks, I know of a couple people who very much enjoy medium-high altitude level bombing, but they feel that the missions simply don't last long enough to be worth spending all that time doing it.

And maybe, just maybe... this could one day be turned into a dynamic campaign?

Also by using your server, I have had a couple friends immediately make the decision to purchase Tank Crew, after seeing how awesome tank combat in IL-2 can be.

Yes I felt the same.  On some maps the front line is often a couple of hundred of meters away from the last flag of one of the team and it is frustrating to win with the timeout instead of taking the flag. 3 hours instead of 2 ? 
Why not for the dynamic campaign. What do you have in mind ? Making a big 'flag path' that is split up into smaller successions of 5 flags that would correspond to the individual missions of the campaign ? 

I am really happy to learn that more people buy Tank Crew thanks to the mission! 

Edited by super-truite
13 hours ago, super-truite said:

Yes I felt the same.  On some maps the front line is often a couple of hundred of meters away from the last flag of one of the team and it is frustrating to win with the timeout instead of taking the flag. 3 hours instead of 2 ? 
Why not for the dynamic campaign. What do you have in mind ? Making a big 'flag path' that is split up into smaller successions of 5 flags that would correspond to the individual missions of the campaign ? 

I am really happy to learn that more people buy Tank Crew thanks to the mission! 

3 hours could be good.  Is there any possible way to extend the timer after the mission has started, based on the current situation?  Such as the amount of action going on, progress for the teams, etc.  I was playing the other night, and there was no one on the server the entire mission, but 5 minutes before it ended, 7-8 people showed up.  It ended, and all of those people left.  I felt like if the mission kept going, they would have all still been there playing. 

Also is there a particular way to find out the current time remaining?  Or if you could just put the remaining time on the stats page, like some other servers do?

I haven't thought too much about how the dynamic campaign would go, but ideally (for me at least), it would be setup in a way that makes it so no two campaigns go the same way, giving everyone a unique experience every time.  This might take a lot more work though and not a must have.  Regardless it's just nice to know, and provides a lot more incentive to win, if you know that your current decisions will affect more than just the current mission; especially if things other than simply winning the mission could carry over, so that even if you lose, the things you did (or didn't) do would still make a difference.

10 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

Good server! 🍻

Good YouTube channel!  I was actually just watching one of your videos last night.

Edited by SCG_FeuerFliegen
  • Upvote 1

I just remembered I was meaning to post this the other night...

I was playing on the Prokhorovka map on the German side, and on a few occasions, I'd shoot at a Sherman, and it would say friendly fire.  This happened 3-4 times in this one mission.  Not sure if this is something that can be fixed on your end or not, just figured I'd let ya know.

16 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I just remembered I was meaning to post this the other night...

I was playing on the Prokhorovka map on the German side, and on a few occasions, I'd shoot at a Sherman, and it would say friendly fire.  This happened 3-4 times in this one mission.  Not sure if this is something that can be fixed on your end or not, just figured I'd let ya know.

Same happened to me several times. Does it happen when enemy tanks are at our flag, just capturing it? 

9 hours ago, Fritz_Faber said:

Same happened to me several times. Does it happen when enemy tanks are at our flag, just capturing it? 

yes, pretty sure every time it happened, it was when I was defending our flag as they got nearby it.

Unfortunately it seems like at least a quarter of the time I despawn, I get a "x0 Friendly Fire" no points notification.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately some guys are only interested in flying planes to destroy tanks, so you have no chance to survive as a tankman.

Sometimes you are dead by spawning, bombed instantly.

That makes no sense nor fun.

I for myself would prefer more focus on a tank server and tank battles.

The question is how to minimize the effectivness of planes against tanks?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The server is really fun with a big group of people :gamer:.The group of guys i play with was was wondering  if it would be possible to reduce the number of AI vehicles. Like AI machine guns and AAA trucks. They load the mission heavily and create freezes and frame drops. It's pretty immersive with the map being that busy but sometimes when the AI units spawn it is a slide show instead of a smooth picture. Just wondering. 

There is a command to stop the AI. If there are enough people on the server, you could stop the AI. I have a discord bot I made that can do that. 
Since you are on the discord I can add you to the admins of the bot? (you would just have to enter a command like !deactivate_ai in  a discord channel or so)

• Thanks 1

Super-Truite, as you see, we have a lot of fun with your three missions. Yesterday evening we had 18 players online!!

Thank you for your efforts ... and looking forward for new missions (if you will have time again to do so).

For me, AAS is the best server for TC for now.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Update:
- SRS is back (alternaltively I remind you that there is a discord: https://discord.gg/fzwA98pGQ5)
- Weather/Time will be random
- Removed some AI in the Kuban map to optimize the mission
- Temperature is lower to avoid engine overheating (Kuban and Prokhorovka)
- The new end of game logo is not in the middle of the screen like before so that people can still control their flight

Edit: Also, I am working on another project on another engine at the moment and because it is with a team it has the priority at the moment.  This means I have unfortunately not so much time to make new maps for Advance And Secure  :(  (it is a bit long to adjust the AI pathfinding). If someone is interested I can show him how to move the different points in order to make a new map. (I am simplifying the process). The process sort of consists in copy pasting the current mission elements and place it in the location of your choice on the map of your choice.
Please PM me if interested.

Edited by super-truite

I finally decided to keep the russian tanks in the Koln map. Players seem to not use the M4A2 a lot and I fear there will be no one playing red :(. I will reconsider if I see angry villagers with pitchforks :biggrin:

PS: Games are 3hours long now @SCG_FeuerFliegen

Edited by super-truite
  • Like 1