Sign in to follow this  
super-truite

New combined arms PvP gamemode: Advance And Secure

Hello,

following a concept that was popular in the arma series, I developed a PvP mission where you need to progress along a line by taking flags.
The Tanks role is to advance and take the flags. If a team takes the last flag of the line, it wins.
The planes role is:
- CAS: destroy the ennemy tanks or defense lines
- Level bombing: destroy the ennemy factory to stop heavy tank reinforcements
- Cover the bombers

I will launch a test on sunday 4PM UTC+2 (Paris time). You are free to join the server named "Advance And Secure".
SRS will be activated. French speaking lads can join our discord server (PM me if interested).
If the concept gets popular I will set up a permanent server with a mission rotation.

The first test map:
unknown.png?width=1204&height=677

unknown.png?width=1204&height=677

• Upvote 2

Do tankers get to take AA support? I doubt tankers will find it fun to be targets for aircraft. Especially since it is unusual historically for aircraft to take tanks out permanently with rockets or bombs. Let alone cannon. The problem would be getting ai to follow player tanks after they spawn and then follow orders not to fire at aircraft or to fire as the player allowed.

At the moment there are three game mechanics to avoid being killed too much by aircrafts:
-  AAA on strong points along the flag line (meaning more protection when defending than attacking though)
- Forests close to the typical path tanks will follow and expert mode for the server so no visible player name/distance above you (possibility to hide efficiently)
- Straight mission path, meaning aircrafts will tend to focus on a limited area and you should get typically  less liberty for CAS planes to make several pass on you without being engaged by fighters.
If it is not enough I can still put mobile AAA moving to the next flag along tanks (but they won't follow if you take a flanking path for instance). I could also limit weapons for CAS 
airplanes but I do not like to limit too much the possibilities.

• Thanks 1

Yeah. We need a mission function that allows AI to be told to follow spawning players. Perhaps a way to choose a couple of AI "squad members" before spawning.

It's unlikely we get something like this, we need to wait for the playable flak tanks! Something could be hacked using complex triggers in a grid system to call AI flak tanks using flares, but I need to think of a logical game mechanic to allow this. But even without that, a proper balancing of weapons might be enough

Thanks for those who came, we were 12 at peak, it was fun. I will modify some minor details according  to the feedback I got and will probably launch a permanent server in a week or so. I will advertise it on the main "Multiplayer Servers and Hosting" sub forum.

• Like 2