Advance And Secure (Planes And Tanks)

super-truite

super-truite

some changes in the new map to avoid spawn kills:
- I added more buildings around spawns

- I aded a second spawn (with only light tanks) further away for each flags

I am eager to get the new flak vehicles 😅. On an open map, il2s are really difficult to deal with when in tank 😅 

In some missions I built for a squad event I added AAA at spawn points with a limited attack zone, so it only triggers if enemy get close to the zone. Then they know all about it. I have also set it indestructible so nothing to be gained by attacking them.

super-truite

there is already some AAA, but destroyable. I am not sure I am comfortable with indestructible AAA. I think I might add some AI AAA vehicles following the AI tanks.

super-truite

changes:

- added AAA AI trucks attacking flags with AI tanks. Let's see if it's enough to balance air vs ground

- added Repair/Rearm/Refuel trucks in the 2 bases at the back of the front lines for each team (flag 1 and 2 for axe, flag 4 and 5 for allies). The trucks can be destroyed.

Next mission will be with bodenplatte I think; US vs axe. Yankees will only get the M4A2, but I will try to balance a bit by providing them with more attack planes to harass the big cats.

1./JG42flesch

Hi Admin,

the Cows and Horses are a nice Gimmick, but i drove in a Cow to Test and the Tiger (56Tons)  stops at momently, was heavily damaged and the Crew are woundet.

I  think this Cow must weight 30Tons or more !!! BS

I want repair and then a AI Plane killt the Tiger with 1x Bomb, also overrated.

Edited by 1./JG42flesch

A 100 kg bomb should kill a tiger no problem . As for the cows and horses- i noticed that on other servers. It looks like you're shooting at the concrete wall when trying shooting the. Also probably depends on the presets how destructible the cows can be.

super-truite

ok fair enough I will exterminate the poor cows and horses 😰. @RIVALDO Even if it is destroyable it would look bizarre I guess. It is likely they will vanish in a puff of smoke 😅. Regarding the bombs you were pretty unlucky, I was never completly destroyed by the AI, only stuck with destroyed tracks. Wasn't it GreeN ? He is really good with il2s and connects quite ofen. 

super-truite

It is begining to shape up and I basically just have to test this with more players. For planes I am sure there will be enough people without doing a lot of marketing but for tanks it is difficult, so I  need to plan this. Ideally I would like at least 5 vs 5 tanks on ground.  I can gather 5-6 at best from my near circle so I would need some more. If you are interested, please chose all the dates that might be working for you on this doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/edz2hikywxgdac42?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link 

Please advertise this to the potential tank players you know. Please register only if you are a tank player (You are welcome to join as plane, but I need only to know the number of tankers)

super-truite

new mission under testing:  US vs Axe on the Bodenplatte map in summer. US will  only get M4A2 but more Anti tank planes than the germans. I think I will drop the ferdinand from this mission

1./JG42flesch

Played Today the Winter Mission.

1: shot at 600m in Front to KV1, hitted at Turrend--nothing! KV1 shot back- Tiger exploded.

2: shot at T34, he burns and is Black, but he shot to me, solong as the AI Tank goes out of Game.

Bug, new Feature or Russian Bais?

super-truite

1. Turret is really strong on the KV1. Probably too strong

2. Known bug, that is why I am forced to delete tanks when they are killed

super-truite

known problems I will fix soon:
- U2V base to be removed (people can land there even if they do not have the U2V)

-Wrong plane set for the Bodenplatte map (1942/43 axe planes instead of 44/45)

- Ennemy base defenses should disappear when the flag is taken

- Add more respawn points per flag to limit spawn kill

Feedback I got:

- More secondary objectives needed for planes to make it more varied 

Reminder: if you want to test as a tanker, please register here: https://doodle.com/poll/edz2hikywxgdac42?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link 

I would like at least 10 people on the ground

Edited by super-truite
super-truite

Artillery support testing (This command will be accessible through the in game chat later but I need to develop some stuff to restrict its use before releasing it):

• Like 2
super-truite

Some new missions are under development. There will be a game with more player than usual saturday 12 at 6pm UTC+1

As requested @RIVALDO Statistics website is up: http://aas-il2.com/

. Kudos to the devs  that develop this in their spare time and to  @CountZero for the update for tanks. (For those who struggled like me to find how to add tanks: 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/55657-mod-to-add-tank-missions-for-il2-stats-system-made-by-fbvaal-and-fbisay/ )

Edited by super-truite
  • Thanks 1
super-truite

-new map in Kuban

-random weather/time conditions between games

I might change a bit the way the flag capture works: longer time to take a flag + alert message telling that the flag is captured. 

1./JG42flesch

I had a Question to Statistic.

The Gay "cedric_historia" had a detailed Statistic from his Aktion with Tanks on your Server.

All the after Players not, whats the Reason?

THX

super-truite

I do not see the different with your page?  http://aas-il2.com/en/tankman/14/1./JG42flesch/?tour=1 

http://aas-il2.com/en/tankman/22/cedric_historia/?tour=1 
Is it this page you are talking about ?

One thing that Cedric did that is different is that he played as a gunner most of the time. It is a bit weird that he is on top, maybe a bug.
I do not understand how he killed that many heavy tanks. He was in my tank as a gunner so I saw every actions and we did not play a long time.

1./JG42flesch

The Statistic from him is fine, every destroyed Tank is listed.

On my Statistik only the Hits and Deads to myself are documented.

Edited by 1./JG42flesch
super-truite

I do not know what is wrong with the detailed stats. 
I corrected the problem with the wind (there was too much turbulence sometimes).

Reminder: tomorrow (saturday 12) we start a game with a lot of players at 6pm UTC+1. Server: Advance And Secure 

super-truite

Thanks to all! It was really painful at the start on the german side (too much allies planes) but it got better after. 

Some pilots (especially those in VR) reported massive lags above the combat zone. The server is quite good so I guess it is because of the detailed map + objects I placed.
It could be also because of the high concentration of players in the area but I do not think so because there was less problems in the last test.

I will increase the number of AI AA vehicles that spawn with tanks but I guess the playable flak vehicles will change a bit the way I balance the gameplay  between tanks and planes.

The map was also quite open with a few trees so that did not help.

I take note that the victory song are still too loud 🙈. This is weird because the volume is quite low on my end 🙈.

Stats of the game: http://aas-il2.com/en/mission/127/

• Thanks 1

It was fun! A few teammates noticed the crazy loud music as well😄. And the picture at the end is blocking the screen.Is there a way to make it more transparent?I know it's the end of the mission, but a couple of guys were trying to land their planes and crashed lol.Another thing was the AI tanks by spawn areas open fire way too soon from way too great of a distance. Just something that was mentioned. I can see if a Ferdinand or a Tiger do that,but Pz3 or 4 with their caliber? Seems a little much.Also IMHO the lagging might result not just from a big number of players but from numbers of AI both ground and air. Otherwise it's a good meat grinder!

Edited by RIVALDO
super-truite

Thanks. You were my nemesis in tanks 😅.

Understood I will make the picture more transparent 😁
For the AI tanks, I will see if setting the AI level to something lower does the trick.

For the lag I am not sure it is because of AI because I removed most of them using a command at mid game and it didn't improve the performances.

It is maybe the artillery system. It was not used during the mission but it was present and might take too much  resources. Anyway, we played on different maps without this system  all the evening and there was no problems reported regarding FPS except VR people above cities but that is not new and is not related to the mission or server.

super-truite

Hello (coucou 🟦🟥),  it might be, but the server SPS and tickdelay are nominal (50/7-10) and the same mission template is used on different maps (same number of AI defense/planes/tanks). On other maps I never had those huge fps drops for pilots. The only thing different on this map is that there was a huge number of artillery guns + some horrible stack of triggers for my artillery system. I removed it from the mission. We will see how it goes.

1./JG42flesch

If a player is killed or captured (Tank or Plane), they should not receive any Points.

Preserving his Life and not getting caught should be the Goal of every Player.

It would also prevent Kamikaze Missions like you saw Yesterday because you don't get any Points.

If a Player lands at his own Base, give him a 100% Bonus.

Edited by 1./JG42flesch
super-truite

I will slow down a bit the developments because I am simplifying the way to create new missions. It should then be way faster to develop new missions. If some other people than myself are interested to create a mission in their 'favorite part' of one of the map it would be possible.

super-truite

The server is unstable since the last update. I am trying to see what is going on.

edit: it seems to be a problem only for the Kuban map. It crashes after 12 minutes or so. I let the server run only on the Prokhorovka map for now. I will try to fix this over the week-end

Edited by super-truite
SCG_FeuerFliegen

I just played your server for the first time, and wow, it's awesome!  I love seeing the battle go on all around me.  

I hope this one becomes popular!  Maybe you should also post it in the Great Battles section of this forum, especially since you can also fly planes here?  I had never heard of this server before so I think it might help get the word out.

• Upvote 1
super-truite

thanks @SCG_FeuerFliegen ! I will create a topic in the general forum later but I'd rather keep a low profile atm 😅 because I want to finish:

•  the core template of the mission (new objectives are being added for instance)
  • solve the main bugs/balance issues
  • create enough missions to have more replayability

I hope I will get there soon. I will try to make the final push during christmas holidays.

That being said, there is already quite a lot of players (for a tank server)  in the evenings (in Europe 10-20) and more on the week-ends (up to 30).

edit: Also, I would like ideas to motivate players to join as a russian tanker. Most of the current players (myself included 😅) want to use the german tanks.
One idea I have is to favor more close encounters where german tanks would be less effective by designing better the missions carefully choosing locations where you can get around the ennemy and adding more objects to get closer without being in the open. Another idea is to add more AI on the soviet side.

But I am opened to suggestions

Edited by super-truite
  • Upvote 1
SCG_FeuerFliegen
56 minutes ago, super-truite said:

One idea I have is to favor more close encounters where german tanks would be less effective by designing better the missions carefully choosing locations where you can get around the ennemy and adding more objects to get closer without being in the open. Another idea is to add more AI on the soviet side.

But I am opened to suggestions

Maybe utilize some of the densely populated city areas, such as in the Rhineland map?  I've always wanted a tank battle in the middle of a city.  I particularly like some of the towns with huge naval ports, such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

Also would love to play some combined arms battles through the hilly and mountainous areas of the Kuban map.  I think they'd make for a great strategic mission!

Also other than the cities, when flying low throughout the Rhineland, you notice that it's actually pretty hilly  in certain areas, and although they aren't huge hills, they're enough to hide behind when doing something such as sneaking up and flanking the enemy.

super-truite

Having trouble with tanks in cities (a bit long to manually place AI waypoints) but it is in preparation.

There is already a Kuban mission but currently broken. I will do more in this map because it's really beautiful and provides interesting gameplay. The only issue is that there are not so much airfields in the areas I'm interested in...

If you have precise location ideas, please shoot (give the map name + grid position)!
The constraints are the following: 

• 2 airfields more or else at equal distance of the 'tank's playground'.
  • the  flags series should span at the very maximum 15-20km. I might do some longer missions later but I need to make a template with more than 5 flags ...
Fritz_Faber

I tried your server several times as a tankman, and I like the mission "prelestnoye" a lot. Thank you for your efforts to create such stuff.

Distances are not too far, you must not drive for hours.

Typical tank-battle-terrain ... open fields, small villages.

Hills, forest, valleys are there but not extreme, good enough to hide yourself a bit.

AI tanks, planes, arty give an impression of a density of a real battle.

Always playing german side I didn't feel a advantage for german tanks. I have been killed very often by red tanks.

I'm not a fan of a tank battle in a city between houses or in the woods.

This is no terrain for tanks, but for infantry.

Tanks are operating in open fields, they are made for fast operations over great distances, equipped with lang range canons ... Blitzkrieg.

If you feel a technical advantage of the german Tiger and Panther, than I prefer to level that fact out by more AI tanks for russian side.

That would be historical, the german tanks were outnumbered up to 1:10 very often.

A tank battle at Rhineland map would be great too (open field please, no citys ;-))

The AI Pe2 is a bit too precisesly and deadly, they are killing german tanks all the time...

super-truite

thanks for the feedback, I will test to add more AI on the russian side.

But I will also test some city maps even if less 'realistic' it will provide some diversity in the maps. Yes the Pe2 is a bit too precise and before, most of the AI kills were by them. But I think that since I added the 110 it is getting better. I need to look at AI stats.

The server is working really bad since the update (some missions crash, sometimes it's impossible to respawn and sometimes the FPS  are dropping for some players in planes). I will try to reinstall everything. The server might go down often this week-end. 

dragon_7611
On 12/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I just played your server for the first time, and wow, it's awesome!  I love seeing the battle go on all around me. 

I've only been playing for three days and I like it 😊

On 12/18/2020 at 2:04 PM, super-truite said:

edit: Also, I would like ideas to motivate players to join as a russian tanker. Most of the current players (myself included 😅) want to use the german tanks.

+1 Russian tanker. It's me. From Russia with love 😃. Thanks for the positive and drive!

20 hours ago, Fritz_Faber said:

The AI Pe2 is a bit too precisesly and deadly, they are killing german tanks all the time...

As well as Hs 129 B-2. I could not get around the German base yesterday 😄

Edited by DeNoZavr
super-truite

thx @DeNoZavr !

The Hs 129 seems to be slower to acquire targets than the Pe2 though. Also it does not make so much damage. It is stressful when the guns begin firing at you though  😅.

What I do not like with the planes also  is that they can spot you easily when you are sneaking around in the forests. And then every player knows where you are 😰.
What I might do is to limit the attack zones to areas close to the flag. I will see how ot goes. I do not want to remove completly AI planes because I think it adds a lot to the ambient combat atmosphere.

SCG_FeuerFliegen
19 hours ago, super-truite said:

What I do not like with the planes also  is that they can spot you easily when you are sneaking around in the forests. And then every player knows where you are 😰.
What I might do is to limit the attack zones to areas close to the flag. I will see how ot goes. I do not want to remove completly AI planes because I think it adds a lot to the ambient combat atmosphere.

I think the game's AI needs to be fixed in a few areas regarding this... like they should not be able to detect you if it would be hard for an actual player to detect you... such as blind spots in planes, clouds (I remember AI AA shot me down in TAW once through overcast clouds), trees, etc.

But I also completely agree with your last sentence; AI(of all types) adds immensely to the atmosphere in this server and should not be removed.  It's probably what made me enjoy it so much!  I also think people who only play SP, never MP, should try out servers like this, maybe when there are no other players because it's basically SP, but with a lot more going on than majority of the SP missions I've played.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, Fritz_Faber said:

I'm not a fan of a tank battle in a city between houses or in the woods.

This is no terrain for tanks, but for infantry.

Tanks are operating in open fields, they are made for fast operations over great distances, equipped with lang range canons ... Blitzkrieg.

A tank battle at Rhineland map would be great too (open field please, no citys ;-))

Could we compromise and have a mix of both from time to time?  I definitely appreciate the open fields over great distances, but in real war, sometimes you don't have a choice regarding where you want to fight.  Maybe a small city in-between the great distances, forcing us to deal with unexpected tactical decisions?

super-truite

It will be a bit painful to put in place but I will set different "allowed" attack zone for the AI planes in the next missions. Those will be only in open fields.

Yes I will do a mix of urban/open fields. If you have some suggestions of zones please give the map name + grid coordinates (I need airfields nearby and at more or less equal distance of the tank fighting zone)

• super-truite changed the title to Advance And Secure (Planes And Tanks)