Jump to content
HagarTheHorrible

CPU importance at high resolutions ?

Recommended Posts

How important is the CPU when it comes to higher resolutions ?

 

I’m planning on moving from a Rift CV1 to the HP Reverb G2,.  At the moment I can reasonable comfortably run my Rift at, or close to, the desired 90 FPS, even with extra SS thrown in.  My GPU is a 2070 super which is within the recommended drivers for the G2, I am however much less certain about how my CPU will perform (i5-6500k overclocked to 4.4).  What aspects of Il2 would affect the CPU capacity, or system  memory  for that matter (16Gb) if the only thing that changes is the increased resolution ?  I can obviously see a correlation between resolution and GPU but I.m far less certain how higher resolutions affect the CPU in a game such as Il2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

How important is the CPU when it comes to higher resolutions ?

 

Not much at all. The CPU is getting geometry data to the GPU, and then asking it to render a frame. Unless something is changing about the geometry and texture data, you should still be fine for the G2 (as long as a new GPU can push enough pixels).

 

The things in IL2 that are affected by CPU are things where we send more stuff to the GPU in the first place. So going from Balanced to High will increase CPU load, because you have more polygons in the cockpit and a larger "tree and objects bubble" around the plane. Going from Low to High shadows will also increase CPU burden, because the more detailed shadow maps have more polygons in them.

 

Basically if you're happy with how you have your settings now and your CPU is fast enough, it should still be fast enough for the G2, especially since both headsets (CV1 and G2) require 90 FPS.

 

You can do a quick check with Oculus Tray Tool -- enable performance HUD and set it to "application render timing". You're looking for the CPU frame time to be under 11ms.

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  That’s a bit of a relief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yup, after upgrading my GPU I had FPS issues and couldn't figure out why - when I noticed I had wrong graphics quality in the settings for some reason and changed it back to balanced I was able to push much higher resolution with same fps as before. So stick to the same settings in-game, set desired resolution in steamvr and you will be good to go with G2. There might be a small performance loss with steamvr / wmr combo as you are unable to use OpenComposite with it but I'd say performance difference is based on anecdotal evidence so not necessarily true. 

Edited by desolunatic
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, desolunatic said:

There might be a small performance loss with steamvr / wmr combo as you are unable to use OpenComposite with it but I'd say performance difference is based on anecdotal evidence so not necessarily true. 

 

I think the performance difference is there, but it's more because of the translation layer from Oculus APIs/drivers to SteamVR. I have a Valve Index that I'm trying out, and because that's entirely SteamVR ecosystem (Valve controls the entire software stack and the hardware) there seems to be no issue.

 

So I think OpenComposite makes a difference, but only for Oculus users (maybe that's obvious, if so, sorry for my worthless post!)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll want a bit more overclock and a bigger GPU to run the G2 resolution.  It is a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

You'll want a bit more overclock and a bigger GPU to run the G2 resolution.  It is a beast.

 

I refuse to believe that 2070S will not be enough for G2's resolution as with regular 2060 I can run 1800x1800 to 1900x1900 easily. 

 

@HagarTheHorrible

You can try setting your supersampling to 2160x2160 and check how it works but my bet is it will be fine. 

Edited by desolunatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

You'll want a bit more overclock and a bigger GPU to run the G2 resolution.  It is a beast.

 

While a better GPU will certainly not hurt, do not forget that you will hardly need any SS with the Reverb at all.

 

Many people probably SS their HMDs to achieve half good visuals but that is not really necessary with the Reverb.

 

As was mentioned above, it suffice just to run SS to achieve as many pixels as are natively necessary for the Reverb.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running a i7 7700k at 5.3ghz and a 1080ti at 1999mhz with graphics mostly low.  I find the performance in my Reverb to be pretty good with some room for improvement.  Anything less than that will struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 10:25 PM, Bernard_IV said:

I'm running a i7 7700k at 5.3ghz and a 1080ti at 1999mhz with graphics mostly low.  I find the performance in my Reverb to be pretty good with some room for improvement.  Anything less than that will struggle.

 

I find this quote believable: I have i3-8350k at 4.6, 2080TI and 32GB at 3200, and my Reverb performance is unsatisfactory with Clouds set to "High" and Shadows set to "Extreme" (I really like those so cannot go any lower). SSOA and HDR are also enabled (or else the cockpit looks washed out).

 

With above settings I am forced to set reprojection on to enable a somewhat smooth framerate (however this reprojection also introduces annoying graphical errors).

 

Sorry, but based on my experience the Reverb laughs at midrange cards like 2070S, I predict it will be a stuttery mess even with potato quality graphics.

 

So I am seriously considering an upgrade to an I9-10900 (non-K, but I will thermally overclock it to near K-levels), and 4400 RAM, but it is really a coin toss, because I cannot get a reliable confirmation it will alleviate my Reverb performance problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 2:53 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

because I cannot get a reliable confirmation it will alleviate my Reverb performance problems.

 

You can write to Jason to request an ingame benchmark or vote in this poll, so with multiple tests from users, we can know how hardware, software and seetings influence the CPU and GPU performance.

 

Your i3-8350K has 2Mb cache per core, like the 9900K. If you could try to overclock it with better cooling to 5.0 it should be more that enough in the CPU side.

Try to upgrade firstly RAM and then check the difference.

 

I understand you said Clouds to Extreme and shadows to ultra. (There is no shadows extreme)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2020 at 8:53 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

 

I find this quote believable: I have i3-8350k at 4.6, 2080TI and 32GB at 3200, and my Reverb performance is unsatisfactory with Clouds set to "High" and Shadows set to "Extreme" (I really like those so cannot go any lower). SSOA and HDR are also enabled (or else the cockpit looks washed out).

 

With above settings I am forced to set reprojection on to enable a somewhat smooth framerate (however this reprojection also introduces annoying graphical errors).

 

Sorry, but based on my experience the Reverb laughs at midrange cards like 2070S, I predict it will be a stuttery mess even with potato quality graphics.

 

So I am seriously considering an upgrade to an I9-10900 (non-K, but I will thermally overclock it to near K-levels), and 4400 RAM, but it is really a coin toss, because I cannot get a reliable confirmation it will alleviate my Reverb performance problems.

 

Just my opinion but you would be way better off with a 10900k with a good AIO cooler versus the non-k.

Also clouds are a big hog, as well as MSAA.

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Your i3-8350K has 2Mb cache per core, like the 9900K. If you could try to overclock it with better cooling to 5.0 it should be more that enough in the CPU side.

Try to upgrade firstly RAM and then check the difference.

 

I understand you said Clouds to Extreme and shadows to ultra. (There is no shadows extreme)

 

I just overclocked my CPU to 5.0 Ghz. My new single-thread PASSMARK score jumped to 3139. Despite this my CPU temp never exceeds 80'C when running "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" stress test. All this on my old trusty NOCTUA 140mm air cooler, which I could barely hear during that stress test (I have it in quiet mode). Not bad for a $150 CPU. So far I just ran 2 missions, around 20-minutes each, and can see improved smoothness, but there are still situations when the framerate dips below 60fps. But I ran all this on the maxed-out graphics, by manually editing startup.cfg ( "land_anisotropy = 16" and "land_tex_lods = 7 ). Thanks THERION!

 

I didn't touch the RAM speeds, because it is hard to overclock RAM, compared to the CPU.

 

FYI: My Clouds are "High" (frankly I cannot tell the difference versus the Extreme), and my shadows are "Ultra".

 

With this newfound performance improvement I may just give VR another chance, we will see..

 

Edited by WheelwrightPL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

But I ran all this on the maxed-out graphics, by manually editing startup.cfg ( "land_anisotropy = 16" and "land_tex_lods = 7 ). Thanks THERION!

 

Excuse me mate, but I'd like to clarify some information:

 

The idea of these settings were found by @LizLemon some days ago. My contribution to this was to clarify the findings of @LizLemon because
I thought it might be not 100% clear to others. That's all.

 

Cheerio

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

I just overclocked my CPU to 5.0 Ghz. My new single-thread PASSMARK score jumped to 3139. Despite this my CPU temp never exceeds 80'C when running "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" stress test. All this on my old trusty NOCTUA 140mm air cooler

 

That´s quite impressive for the i3 line and air cooling. You will not gain too much by CPU upgrade fro a while.

 

On 8/19/2020 at 4:17 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

I didn't touch the RAM speeds, because it is hard to overclock RAM, compared to the CPU.

 

But I referred to buy new faster RAM, not to overclock your existing one. RAM speed is a big contributor to fps in VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

But I referred to buy new faster RAM, not to overclock your existing one. RAM speed is a big contributor to fps in VR.

I do haveDDR4  2x8gb HyperX Predator (3333mhz/cl16) running in XPM profile, any benefit moving to higher RAM overclock, like 3500mhz at cl16? 

Edited by Dutch2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

According to the Greif correlation based on the Remagen Tests (which doesn´t work anymore) the gain is 1.67 fps per 100MHz of RAM for 2D monitors.

 

So your gain in VR would bee (3500-3333)/100*1.67/2, which is +1.4fps. Probably not worth the money.

 

but if you go to 4400 for example the gain could be better. We found that CL is not as important as we thought.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, chiliwili69 said:

According to the Greif correlation based on the Remagen Tests (which doesn´t work anymore) the gain is 1.67 fps per 100MHz of RAM for 2D monitors.

 

So your gain in VR would bee (3500-3333)/100*1.67/2, which is +1.4fps. Probably not worth the money.

 

but if you go to 4400 for example the gain could be better. We found that CL is not has important has we thought.

 

I'd be very curious to see what performance we will get in VR, but also on flat screens with the upcoming video cards and (AMD) CPU's. When we will get new data, I'd be more than happy to update the model to increase our understanding of which factors influence FPS performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...