Discussion of the IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings Tobruk Pre-Order and Release Date Announcement

I have CoD on Steam - I know about the GB integration with Steam, but don't know if Tobruk will work the same way. Should I buy on Steam or the IL2 store?

Edit - I see on the IL2 store page it says that it is Steam-key enabled. So I assume I can buy it here and activate on Steam, where CoD currently resides.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • 1CGS
4 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Edit - I see on the IL2 store page it says that it is Steam-key enabled. So I assume I can buy it here and activate on Steam, where CoD currently resides.

Correct.

Jason

I am really getting TIRED of reading the word "stubby" right next to the name Martlet!!! I am thinking Barrel Chested Martlet carries much more dignity for this Bad-ass little .50 cal toting terror of the skies. I guess I am going to be the Windows 7 guinea 🐖 as I intend to pre purchase DSWT and see if she will run on my old rigg. Blitz does just fine for me so here is to hoping DSWT does as well. Congrats TFS and 1C. :popcorm:

SBlade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm up for pre-order on Steam already when announced (6th of August it appears,) but apparently if I want to get the 15% reduction mentioned ,I should order it on the Il-2 store site on the 30th of July- is this correct? Ignore Steam pre-order on Il-2?

1 hour ago, BladeMeister said:

I am really getting TIRED of reading the word "stubby" right next to the name Martlet!!! I am thinking Barrel Chested Martlet carries much more dignity for this Bad-ass little .50 cal toting terror of the skies............

SBlade<><

Try the term 'Chunky' SBlade. :good:

🎩 'S'

13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'm up for pre-order on Steam already when announced (6th of August it appears,) but apparently if I want to get the 15% reduction mentioned ,I should order it on the Il-2 store site on the 30th of July- is this correct? Ignore Steam pre-order on Il-2?

If you want to support Team Fusion more, you should be buying from here and let the developers have the cut that Steam takes away.

• Upvote 3
22 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Whichever site you like works, buying CloD products on the il2 website just gives you the key to activate and download from Steam. As Redwolf says I prefer to order from the IL2 website as that way the developers get all my money instead of Steam taking a cut of the sale as well.

• Upvote 2

Interesting historical footnote: We were originally told the Il-2 Cliffs of Dover wouldn't use STEAM but would use another DRM system. The deal was cut late enough in the process that many of the boxed copies of Cliffs actually mention another form of copy protection and do not mention Steam at all...

Anyway, looking forward to the pre-order date (and the release date).

I am delighted with what the team members from Team Fusion have done. I wish them the best possible success with the amount of work they put in. I really want to fight over
North Africa. As much, and even more so than a new sim from Microsoft. However, there is one thing in common that temporarily prevents me from buying these two products - VR.
I don't buy flight sims without VR because I've only been flying this way for a while and I don't see an option to spend money on something I won't use.

Nevertheless, I wish you success and I look forward to VR implementations.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic, the long wait over.

Is that a misleading statement that if we buy early we get to fly it early or does it really mean July30th purchase means instant fly ability? As to me I took pre-order to mean just that, cheaper purchase but no fly until steam releases it August - not the dcs early access type?

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
spelling
7 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

I don't recall that being the case.  I DO recall a generous 15% off with a pre order though.

No I didnt either but this statement does have ambiguity in it for the optimists (ATAG forum statement says "opt-in first")

"with a 15% discount for those who want to get airborne first!"

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
26 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

No I didnt either but this statement does have ambiguity in it for the optimists (ATAG forum statement says "opt-in first")

"with a 15% discount for those who want to get airborne first!"

I guess it means airborne first on August 6th.  

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

Whichever site you like works, buying CloD products on the il2 website just gives you the key to activate and download from Steam. As Redwolf says I prefer to order from the IL2 website as that way the developers get all my money instead of Steam taking a cut of the sale as well.

Ok then- bring on 30 July!

Absolutely fantastic news, for those who've followed this saga from the very beginnning until now will know it's been a long journey. I hope it's a massive success for all involved. 

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it is pre-order is in one week, but full release is in two weeks... I don't think there is an early access phase... just a chance to pre-pay (ensures we just need to worry about downloading on the release day).

Also, note that the line says "Those who want to get airborne first"... it doesn't say we'll succeed :)

Edited by Avimimus

Hello Everyone

A pre-sale purchase does not give early access... purchasers still cannot fly till August 6th.

A pre-sale purchase primarily means the money goes to 1C/TF entirely, without Steam taking a large share.

And there is a discount. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, RavN_Alienzo said:

I am delighted with what the team members from Team Fusion have done. I wish them the best possible success with the amount of work they put in. I really want to fight over
North Africa. As much, and even more so than a new sim from Microsoft. However, there is one thing in common that temporarily prevents me from buying these two products - VR.
I don't buy flight sims without VR because I've only been flying this way for a while and I don't see an option to spend money on something I won't use.

Nevertheless, I wish you success and I look forward to VR implementations.

Lack of VR support is disappointing I agree, but there are other issues that are more critical IMHO. First there is the matter of game stability. On my Win10 pc Blitz will freeze quite often during missions. Modifying or creating missions in the FMB involves dealing with a host of variables whose effects are sometimes not well documented. The combination of blinding sun, resultant low contrast image and tendency of TIR to lose centering in critcal situations makes losing track of the AI all to common and frustrating. Added to that is the requirement of temporarily leaving a mission just to get an FPS readout or to use the mission recording function. Often I will chose not to record a mission for fear that Blitz will freeze at some point in the process. DW will be great for the audience for which it seems geared. Whether it can attract a new and larger following given the dedication required to become fluent in negotiating CloD' quirks is TBD. The conservative option is to carefully compare Blitz 4.57.3 with Blitz 5.0 and go from there.

Edited by Dagwoodyt