Why the Fw-190A3? What is the charm?

So, a lot of people like this airplane... clearly!

But to the casual observer it is very similar to the Fw-190A5 - except it has a few nice skins and a few less load-out options. It also might be available a bit earlier (so weaker opponents to fight?)

So, tell me - why should I get this collector plane? Sell me on it!

It's the best bomber killer at his time (with 4x20mm + 2x7.92mm).

It isn't the fastest plane but you can outrun most of early planes (with some altitude and energy, obviously) (~10 min 90% throttle).
It has one of the best canopy until 42'.

It's hard to be downed.

The Focke Wulfes has double loadout to JaBo in comparison with BF 109 (until 43 I guess), 500KG vs 250KG respectively.

I got that plane a few months before I bought Kuban. At first I thought that for a while there would just be the Fw-190A-3 and A-5, but late that year when they announced Bodenplatte, along with the A-8 and D-9, I regretted getting it; to be honest, I haven’t flown it since 2017.
 I mean, as of now, Stalingrad is really the only place where one can use it, despite it not being there historically (I guess also BoN via PWCG for 1941-42) I don’t why they made it for Stalingrad, maybe the original plan was in the near future to include places after making Stalingrad that the A-3 was used in great numbers. I don’t really know, but if someone has an answer feel free.

Anyway, if you want to get it you can.

Cheers.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
36 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I don’t why they made it for Stalingrad, maybe the original plan was in the near future to include places after making Stalingrad that the A-3 was used in great numbers. I don’t really know, but if someone has an answer feel free.

Because BOS was the first game. You could not make it without a Focke Wulf. It is an iconic aircraft. I guess this was also the reason, why they included the He 111 instead of the Ju 88, which would have fitted much better with its defensive firepower and the Heinkel then for the Moscow battle.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

So, a lot of people like this airplane... clearly!

Because it’s the best of the 190s. It’s the lightest and most agile. In term of useable performance it’s just as fast as the other antons without the high speed drama of the dora. Don’t bother with the wing cannons, standard armament is more than enough to hose several targets. Nice and stable in the dive and the faster you go the sharper the handling gets.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I don’t why they made it for Stalingrad, maybe the original plan was in the near future to include places after making Stalingrad that the A-3 was used in great numbers. I don’t really know, but if someone has an answer feel free.

You know they released the Veliike Luki map, which was the original theatre of operations for the 190s of I./JG 51 in late 1942/ early 1943. There is neither an official campaign nor career mode for that map and I guess that is no coincidence. So I guess original plan was to release the Fw190-A3 plane with corresponding career, because that map has no further usage except for MP.

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

So, tell me - why should I get this collector plane? Sell me on it!

Hands down best german fighter in 1942. For early/mid 1943 go for A5 and for mid/late 1943 go for A6 (will come with BoN). Yes I admit, I am a Fw190 fan 😉

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

If you like the FW, it's arguably the best fighter among them until the d9.  You fly it differently from a 109; think lag5 vs yak1.

And it's a better fighter/bomber than other single engine planes.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

I haven't flown the Fw190A-3 in a while. There's not too much different between it and the A-5 that comes with Battle of Kuban. The A-3 was very much a Collector Plane in the first Battle of Stalingrad release. It was a good foil for the La-5 Series 8 Collector Plane and when the sim had just 10 aircraft... it was a good one to have.

Now that there's a whole range of Fw190's. Why bother having it? To experience one of the earlier models that is subtly yet noticeably different in handling is probably the best I can come up with. It is by far the sharpest and "purest" fighter Fw190 that you can fly.

Oh... and if it still works, The JG51 campaign for the Fw190A-3 is GREAT.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Oh... and if it still works, The JG51 campaign for the Fw190A-3 is GREAT.

FYI if you ever need campaigns to work with a current version of the game and the author no longer updates them you can resave them in the editor. Every few updates I'll mass resave my campaigns and havent had problems since I started doing that. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

Do I remember it right that Velikie Luki was a community made map? Or was that something else?

Hmmm not sure about that. Look here DD 91: 

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Now that there's a whole range of Fw190's. Why bother having it?

Then again, the same people saying that "just another and earlier" 190 wasn't worth having, cry chicken to get their beloved 109 G-10 squeezed inbetween the existing G-14 and K-4.

You just can't please everybody.

:drinks:

Mike

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

For me, it’s the purest form of the 190 as it hasn’t been lengthened or really gained any weight from Kurt Tank’s original design. It is also a very pure fighter. Fast and nimble, and a ton of fun to tear around the skies. It doesn’t fit as well with the Eastern Front stuff as it would in a Western Front scenario, where it was a great, and several times an overwhelming, match for the Spit V. It’s my favorite variant of my favorite plane. It was obviously a must purchase as soon as it was announced. 😀

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Then again, the same people saying that "just another and earlier" 190 wasn't worth having, cry chicken to get their beloved 109 G-10 squeezed inbetween the existing G-14 and K-4.

Mike

It's true. I struggle with the idea that because there are other similar aircraft we can't have a different version - I mean there are definitely differences between all of these types and that makes it interesting to experience. It's interesting to understand the complete Bf109 line-up from E-7 through K-4. It's interesting to understand the Fw190A-3 through D-9. If it's a completely pragmatic approach then the OP isn't going to find the A-3 all that different... but from a historical perspective it's fascinating to see the incremental steps along the way.

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, JG13_opcode said:

It's a little bit faster than the A-5.

The other way around. The A-5 is a little faster thanks to the covered outlet gills.

13 hours ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

It isn't the fastest plane but you can outrun most of early planes

Wut? I hope you mean vs 1944/45. bec. the A-3 outruns and everything the russians can through at it.
For me the A-3 is best fighter vs the VVS until the A-5 arrives.

Overall the A-3 is ofc very similar to the A-5 however its available earlier and is slightly more maneuverable. Great fun.

55 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

The other way around. The A-5 is a little faster thanks to the covered outlet gills.

Wut? I hope you mean vs 1944/45. bec. the A-3 outruns and everything the russians can through at it.
For me the A-3 is best fighter vs the VVS until the A-5 arrives.

Overall the A-3 is ofc very similar to the A-5 however its available earlier and is slightly more maneuverable. Great fun.

I have seen many times foes behind me after a 900kmh+ dive behind me, I'm not sure how they do it.

20 minutes ago, DerSheriff said:

Bot 190 As are on full power almost on par with the FN.

In a A3 or A5 at low alt, this is not true, A8 only with boost on.

At low alt, LN can catch even 109 that is faster than 190.
Actually, you killed me while flying La5-FN and I was in 109-G2, 2,5 km alt, you have a video.

Edited by SCG_ErwinP

image.png.225770e02e717f7d222ef7b30e5b4f8c.png

While indeed a bit slower this is no comparison to the much slower Bf 109 G-4. You are ways safer in the Fw 190 than in the 109 speedwise.

I was flying both online and had troubles catching As and was running away in them. (or at least kept distance).

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 2

During the war there have been for each plane so many versions and subversions, and sometimes it was minimal changes barely visible, and sometimes maximal like changes in the fuselage size or wings or the engine. For a sim like ours you just have to pick some according either on the theater, year but also with some very visible modifications with a strong impact on firepower, speed.

4 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

Mmmmmm, G-10......wait, what's this thread about?

• Haha 1

I think the A3 will come into its own on the Normandy map in 1942.  I have always been an FW fan, although to date I have had better success in the 109 in this sim.  I just wish my AI squadron mates would stop getting slaughtered in turn fights.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, esk_pedja said:

A3 slightly more maneuverable than A5...

Is it a historic fact... or personal feeling of some members ?

FYI fighter aircraft in general got faster and less “turney” as the war went on.

The F4 was the pinnacle for the 109, the A3 seemingly the pinnacle for the 190.

Thats a generalization of course, but even hold true for Japan.

USN aircraft might buck that trend a bit (just watch a Bearcat fly)

1 minute ago, twilson37 said:

Funny, it is the only released aircraft I didn't buy, I bought the BOK first so only bought regular version of BOS and never bothered buying the A3.

...bought all the planes but not the A3....

395735997_tenor(1).gif.e1a06d2939d78b060a5e66860fe4f796.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

The argument that you should buy the A-3 because it is radically different from other versions might be a stretch.

I bought the A-3 to fly the Stalingrad career -- and it is a blast. Absolutely no regrets.

20 hours ago, esk_pedja said:

A3 slightly more maneuverable than A5...

Is it a historic fact... or personal feeling of some members ?

I believe historic fact as it is somewhat smaller and lighter.  Still, maneuverability in any 190 is more about instantaneous maneuvers and not sustained turns.

After all these posts... There is a logical question:

What was the point of A5 development ? The same speed, the same armament, less maneuverable...

Is it stronger construction and armor ? ( preparation for B17 machineguns ? )

31 minutes ago, esk_pedja said:

After all these posts... There is a logical question:

What was the point of A5 development ? The same speed, the same armament, less maneuverable...

Is it stronger construction and armor ? ( preparation for B17 machineguns ? )

Stronger construction in some areas but with ground attack and ground fire un mind, not B17. Extended front fuselage and the A5 airframe was built more modular, with more variants in mind. 

Edited by Jaws2002