Tempest Battery/Accumulator Question

Hi folks,

I've begun to study the Hawker Tempest Mk V for fun and I was wondering about something. During the automated start-up sequence, at the very beginning the voltage seems to go from 0 to a normal battery voltage. However, there is no battery switch nor generator switch in the cockpit.. so my question is: what exactly provides this voltage pre-start-up?

The documentation I found explained that the generator was automatic, however I don't know if the aircraft "engine off" power was provided with a ground power unit or with LRUs (Line Replaceable Unit) located in the fuselage like the Spitfire. In the Spitfire, the battery (also called "accumulator") is located in the fuselage and can only be turned on by a ground crew after he installs & connects the battery in its compartment. Is it a similar system for the Tempest, or was a GPU cart used in real life?

I know this has zero incidence in-game, but I was just curious to see if anyone had the answer to that.

My question is related to before any attempt to start the engine is even made, not the starter system itself. You have a few illuminated gauges in the cockpit... that electrical power must come from somewhere.

25 minutes ago, Chuck_Owl said:

My question is related to before any attempt to start the engine is even made, not the starter system itself. You have a few illuminated gauges in the cockpit... that electrical power must come from somewhere.

It come from the pure righteous sense of superiority, stiff upper lip and loyalty to Queen and country! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Chuck_Owl said:

This is merely a guess...but if you look outside of the cockpit and down a little on the right side there is a placard for 24V so I would assume there's a plugin for external power in that square spot.

12 minutes ago, Requiem said:

This is merely a guess...but if you look outside of the cockpit and down a little on the right side there is a placard for 24V so I would assume there's a plugin for external power in that square spot.

And this is what would be plugged into that socket...

https://shortfinals.org/2013/07/30/the-trolley-acc-an-indispensable-tool-of-ww2/

• Thanks 4