Sign in to follow this  
Dagwoodyt

FMB: AI Refuses to Fight

Tried to make a simple 1v1 mission in the FMB. No matter what options I select in the option screens shown in this post AI just ignores me and only reacts to avoid gunfire. So question I have is whether every menu selection choice really does something to affect AI behavior or are some selections just placeholders for options that were never implemented.

FMB01 - Copy.jpg

FMB02 - Copy.jpg

Posted (edited)

are some selections just placeholders for options that were never implemented.

Probable this, some types of waypoint are just placeholders, without correspondent scripts in game code.

"Normal flight" makes AI blind, you can shoot at their six from 10 meters and they continue fly straight.

"Engage bombers" make AI engage bombers, but ignore fighters.

"Engage fighters" make AI engage fighters, but ignore bombers.

If you look at default Quick Missions that came with game, are used basically this 3 types, why AI in returning to home don't reage to player attacks, because they are in "Normal flight".

Edited by Sokol1

Reset those "Free Hunt" WP's to normal flight and he should have a go at you.

I've stopped using "Free Hunt" as I've started to suspect it's Russian-English thing and maybe the "Hunt" part isn't really what it does.

In Russian FMB this waypoint is called  "Охота" ~ Hunting.

5 hours ago, theOden said:

I've stopped using "Free Hunt" as I've started to suspect it's Russian-English thing and maybe the "Hunt" part isn't really what it does.

Thanks, will try the suggestions. You see "Free Hunt" selected in the images shown because I had already tried "Engage Fighters" without success. What about those AI skill levels, are they functional or not?

6 hours ago, theOden said:

Yes, "Normal Flight" works to get the AI to attack. I have seen the AI do as many as three attack passes using the "Normal Flight" selection. After the first attack passes the AI seems to lose interest in the fight and just bugs out, as before. Maybe that withdrawal is hard coded into the sim(?). Lack of a reference manual for the FMB is a real impediment here.

After the first attack passes the AI seems to lose interest in the fight and just bugs out, as before. Maybe that withdrawal is hard coded into the sim(?). 

Different than in other CFS in CloD AI was coded for don't "fight until the last man".

AI decide return to home base because are out of ammo, low on fuel, damaged.

What about those AI skill levels, are they functional or not?

Yes, they are functional, see explanation there:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3543201/dummies-guide-to-skill-settings

But avoid set the sliders in 100% (ACE) and 0% (Rookie), this highlight  CloD AI deficiencies. Make the firsts do "bat moves" and the second became "Mr.Magoo".

On 7/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, Sokol1 said:

Different than in other CFS in CloD AI was coded for don't "fight until the last man".

AI decide return to home base because are out of ammo, low on fuel, damaged.

Yes, they are functional, see explanation there:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3543201/dummies-guide-to-skill-settings

But avoid set the sliders in 100% (ACE) and 0% (Rookie), this highlight  CloD AI deficiencies. Make the firsts do "bat moves" and the second became "Mr.Magoo".

I have bookmarked the link. Thanks! I am still experimenting with the skill levels. I notice that, if I place the Bf 109 AI off the British coast the AI flies out over channel regardless of fuel load or damage when it enters its' terminal defensive mode. If I spawn the 109 AI off the coast of France it still flies out over the Channel when entering defensive mode. It is looking like no one has yet identified the code trigger for this behavior change.

Posted (edited)

You set waypoints for return home and landing?

If not the AI "hang" in the last waypoint until their fuel end.

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 9:46 AM, Sokol1 said:

You set waypoints for return home and landing?

If not the AI "hang" in the last waypoint until their fuel end.

The AI will go into terminal "defensive mode" regardless of whether or not a landing airfield is assigned. To test I started a 1v1 in a Spitfire IIa against a Bf 109 E-1 just off coast of France. I gave the AI LeHavre-Octeville as its' landing field and a 90% fuel load. To get the AI's attention I set spawn altitude for both planes at 100m. I put the AI directly in front of me and just beyond visual range. That gives enough time to set my gun sight. The AI will acknowledge me by either firing or by doing an evasive roll. It does not appear to matter whether the AI's spawn point is set to "Normal Flight" or "Engage Fighters". I then turn to pursue. What happens immediately after that does not seem to vary regardless of the next waypoint altitude I have set for the AI. The AI will begin a long climb, so for me it is just a matter of setting my most efficient climb regimen. This chase typically goes to near 20,000ft. altitude. At some point the AI will attempt several diving attacks. If those attacks are unproductive the AI will decide to go home. Several times I have lost track of the AI only to find he has already landed. On two occasions I strafed the landed AI. In the first instance I set him ablaze. In the second instance I strafed the AI as he exited the runway toward the parking area. In doing so I had to pull up abruptly to avoid a dirt nap. Looking back, to my amazement, the AI had taken off again, leaking fuel and gear still extended. He made a right turn toward the cliffs and promptly tip-stalled into the Channel. Priceless! It would be great if TFS could solve the riddle of the AI going into the "terminal defensive" mode as that devolves fights into just target practice sessions but that is perhaps a never to be.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

On 7/19/2020 at 2:53 AM, theOden said:

The change log for 5.0 give a hint of how Free hunter work in previous versions, the attacking plane need altitude advantage, what reflect the "B of B" typical "free hunt", Germans fighters fly high and bouce an unsuspecting British plane, like that "Idiotenreihe" of Hurricanes bounced by a German ace and run for home.

Anyway in 5.0 this task will be like "attack fighters/bombers", without pre-requisite.

Finally found an AI that would fight. I used a modified QM: 2 Martlets vs. 2 109 E7 Trops. My wingman and a 109 left the fight after a bit without loss. The remaining 109 pursued me for what seemed like nearly a half hour. I was unable to hit the 109 and got hit several times. The 109 finally wandered off and I was able to land without incident. Total time in mission: just under 48 minutes.