Kerch-Eltigen Operation - Bf-109 G-6 Scripted Campaign

2071061412_campaignKopie.thumb.jpg.913ee3ee1318bdd743109e868ae01d5e.jpg

I've released my latest campaign project.

Download link:

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.1125

You can fly the Bf-109 G-6 (early) as a pilot of II./JG 52 during the the Red Army's Kerch-Eltigen Operation in November and December 1943.

Requirements
Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Kuban + Bf-109 G-6 collector plane

Historical background
In October 1943 the evacuation of the Kuban bridgehead was completed and all German and Romanian forces had been transported across the Strait of Kerch to the Crimean Peninsula. The Soviets decided to launch two amphibious landings on the eastern coast of the Crimea as a prelude to the retaking of the entire peninsula. The first landing took place on 1 November at Eltigen and the second a few days later at Yenikale, east of Kerch. At the same time the Red Army reached the Perekop Isthmus and cut off the Crimea from the mainland, isolating the German 17th Army. The Kerch region was defended by General Allmendinger's weak 5th Army Corps that was supported by Romanian forces. On the Soviet side, the Kerch-Eltigen Operation was carried out by the 18th and 56th Army as well as the Black Sea Fleet and the Azov Flotilla.

In the air the Crimea was defended by Luftflotte 4. At the beginning of November its only fighter units were I./JG 52 as well as the Croatian 15.(kroat.)/JG 52. Covering both the Kerch Peninsula and the Perekop Isthmus region was impossible for this meagre force. Therefore it was decided to send II./JG 52 to Bagerovo west of Kerch. The unit commanded by Gerhard Barkhorn arrived on 3 November and, although heavily outnumbered, soon made their presence felt.

0130b81fd24e63d1805ff33e40181214.thumb.jpg.566ba60a8feea761a2ef0fbf13bd83da.jpg

Further information on Kerch-Eltigen Operation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch–Eltigen_Operation

https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1157

If you don't own the early Bf-109 G-6, here's a short tutorial that explains how to fly the campaign with another plane type:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/63640-kerch-eltigen-operation-bf-109-g-6-scripted-campaign/?do=findComment&comment=983401

2020_5_23__17_34_4.thumb.jpg.6c22f69052e8e2a30e4ab1e10aa82dd5.jpg

2020_5_23__17_55_43.thumb.jpg.4836eb367d9ed2bdc13454d9a7c2ea92.jpg

2020_5_24__6_5_31.thumb.jpg.cfa1480295e9ff8589925804acf891d1.jpg

For the Croatian Bf-109s of 15.(kroat.)/JG 52 that can be encountered in the campaign I've used skins by Pat Cartier.

The Croatian skins can be downloaded here:
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.1130
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.1132
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.1140

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 21
  • Upvote 7
23 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Campaign uses custom skins?

I haven't created any skins for the campaign, but if a talented skinner is interested to create custom skins for the campaign I could add them later.

What the campaign does use, is the correct grey camo introduced for Soviet fighters after summer 1943. These are official skins created by the developers. So far these skins haven't seen much use, because we had no campaigns taking place in late 1943.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks!!!
The Kuban map has become better and better, it's really good to get this  Scripted Campaign at this time, but it a shame that we don't have the official G-6 4K skin.

Edited by Oyster_KAI

I should also mention, that the missions have lots of random elements. For example in most missions the number and types of enemy aircraft are to some extent randomized to increase replayability. So don't be surprised, if you don't see the same enemy aircraft when playing a mission for the second time.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

He lanzado por último proyecto de campaña:

Puedes volar el Bf-109 G-6 (temprano) como piloto de II./JG 52 durante la Operación Kerch-Eltigen del Ejército Rojo en noviembre y diciembre de 1943.

Requisitos
Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Kuban + Bf-109 G -6 plano colector

Antecedentes históricos
En octubre de 1943 se completó la evacuación de la cabeza de puente de Kuban y todas las fuerzas alemanas y rumanas habían sido transportadas a través del Estrecho de Kerch a la Península de Crimea. Los soviéticos decidieron lanzar dos desembarcos anfibios en la costa oriental de Crimea como preludio a la reconquista de toda la península. El primer aterrizaje tuvo lugar el 1 de noviembre en Eltigen y el segundo unos días después en Yenikale, al este de Kerch. Al mismo tiempo, el Ejército Rojo llegó al istmo de Perekop y cortó Crimea desde tierra firme, aislando al 17 Ejército alemán. La región de Kerch fue defendida por el débil 5º Cuerpo del Ejército del general Allmendinger, apoyado por las fuerzas rumanas. En el lado soviético, la Operación Kerch-Eltigen fue llevada a cabo por el 18º y 56º Ejército, así como por la Flota del Mar Negro y la Flotilla de Azov. En el aire, Crimea fue defendida por Luftflotte 4. A principios de noviembre, sus únicas unidades de combate eran I./JG 52, así como el croata 15. (Kroat.) / JG 52. Cubriendo tanto la península de Kerch como el istmo de Perekop región era imposible para esta escasa fuerza. Por lo tanto, se decidió enviar II./JG 52 a Bagerovo al oeste de Kerch. La unidad comandada por Gerhard Barkhorn llegó el 3 de noviembre y, aunque muy superada en número, pronto hizo sentir su presencia.

Más información sobre la operación Kerch-Eltigen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerch–Eltigen_Operation

https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1157

2020_5_23__17_34_4.thumb.jpg.6c22f69052e8e2a30e4ab1e10aa82dd5.jpg

2020_5_23__17_55_43.thumb.jpg.4836eb367d9ed2bdc13454d9a7c2ea92.jpg

2020_5_24__6_5_31.thumb.jpg.cfa1480295e9ff8589925804acf891d1.jpg

JURI_JS My friend! i love all your missions and campaigns, this, look perfect, a im just see now! Thx for your time and your fight for Historical accuracy, i have your campaigns, imprescindible have and flight in IL-2 Great Battles. Really best gratitude for this!

Sorry for my english!. see you 

Edited by III/JG52_Lothar29
  • Thanks 1

Just finished the first 2 missions. Good work Juri.

I´m now swaping the skins for EVERY Plane in the Mission Editor, one by one,  Mission for mission....and I can´t stop now 😆

I´ve found some JG52 skins in the Bf109G6 Folder. Dont know how accurate they are and who was the author. I have way too many skins...but I think it looks way better now.

2020_7_18__1_0_3.jpg

2020_7_19__12_51_58.jpg

Edited by Semor76

Thanks for another great campaign !

Just flown first mission and was very impressed :

1172089368_2020_7_19__19_0_8Kopie.thumb.jpg.34faa4c929cdbf9aad526bd6e2958c44.jpg

Looking forward to fly the next missions with the "Beule" and also an interesting historical background !

Very well done !

Thank you very much Juri! I like your campaigns a lot, and after flying the first two missions, I am sure, that this will be the same with this one here. Very interesting scenario and historical background. I just read the "The War Diary of Helmut Lipfert", which also covers the German retreat from the Caucassus/Krim from a pilot's point of view.

20 hours ago, Moebelwagen said:

I just read the "The War Diary of Helmut Lipfert", which also covers the German retreat from the Caucassus/Krim from a pilot's point of view.

I couldn't get my hands on Lipfert's book when I did the research for the campaign, but I analysed his victory claims. There are tools to map the Gradnetz coordinates from the reports. It's quite useful to determine in which area a unit was active on a certain date.

Edited by Juri_JS

Juri,

I have only flown one mission, but fully enjoyed the mission.  I am curious about an item you mentioned above, about flying a mission a second time but having different planes involved.  How is this accomplished?  Can you point me to a reference?  Thanking you in advance.

Falcon

2 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Juri,

I have only flown one mission, but fully enjoyed the mission.  I am curious about an item you mentioned above, about flying a mission a second time but having different planes involved.  How is this accomplished?  Can you point me to a reference?  Thanking you in advance.

Falcon

It's difficult to describe, so here is a group file with a simple example that shows how to randomize plane types.

Random Aircraft.zip

Edited by Juri_JS

Juri,

Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm not computer savvy enough to understand, but let me study several references I've managed to put together and see if I can make sense of the group file.

Falcon

Finished this campaign yesterday and I absolutely love it. Very nice atmosphere (autumn, lighting, etc.) and well balanced. You have to stretch yourself to fulfill the mission goals, and sometimes you are outnumbered, but it is always possible to get back home and land. If you like "short" missions with (relatively) "instant" action, then this is yours! "Night fighters over the Kuban" and "Platzschutzstaffel Pitomnik" have been my favorite campaigns to date, but this one here is great as well! Thank you Juri - vielen Dank!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I dislike those missions where you fly a 100km for the action, but Kerch-Eltigen Operation - Bf-109 G-6 Scripted Campaign is great for short mission fly-to and lots of action.

I stayed too long in mission 1 and was taken out about 3 times before I decided go home after shooting down a couple of enemies.    Great Campaign!!!

Thank you for the comments guys.

Well, apparently the campaign isn't very popular. So far download numbers have been rather low when compared to my other campaigns. Is it because too few people own the early Bf-109 G-6?

If anyone who doesn't own the G-6 wants to play the campaign with another aircraft, here's a short tutorial that explains  how to do it:

1. Open a mission and navigate to Bagerovo airfield.
2. Select the player aircraft and open the "Plane Properties" menu. If it doesn't open automatically, you have to select it by right-clicking.
3. Click the "Model" button in the "Plane Properties" menu and select the plane type you want to fly.
4. Click OK and save the mission.

5. After editing the missions, you also need to edit the campaign file "info.txt" and delete the line that specifies the required collector plane.

I think the campaign should work well with the late Bf-109 G-6 from BoN, once it becomes available. The Bf-109 G-2 and Bf-109 G-4 should work too, although the lack of 13 mm guns will be a disadvantage when attacking bombers and Sturmoviks.

Tutorial.thumb.jpg.7f9ee6a61897bb904b5ed98b81c86486.jpg

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Well, apparently the campaign isn't very popular. So far download numbers have been rather low when compared to my other campaigns. Is it because too few people own the early Bf-109 G-6?

I wouldn't read too much into it, your campaigns are some of the best (I'm currently flying over the Rzhev Salient). Alot of us just very short of time, unfortunately for myself I can only fly 2 missions per week at the moment.

Sometimes I wish I was still unemployed so I could do some flights, except when it's pay day 😅

14 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

14 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Is it possibly the time of year here in the Northern hemisphere? Its definately on my list to fly...but high summer is for camping fishing and bbqs etc...i'll be back to this when the rain and dark nights come back...

That's not a joke btw...I suspect that many of us choose less "screen time" when the weather smiles on us...

Edited by jasonbirder

Your Missions are superb 👍

I'm a completly SP guy and  so happy about crafters like you....your work makes this simulation realy awsome.

Fore example Rhzev Salient, Lions of Kalinin an Pitomnik are some of the best campaigns out there....Eltingen  too but i haven't finished it till now cause of the summer time as mentioned by others.😅

I live in a rooftop and fore now half of the day is to hot to sit at the computer - hoping for cooler days😎

• Upvote 2
On 7/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, Juri_JS said:

I couldn't get my hands on Lipfert's book when I did the research for the campaign, but I analysed his victory claims. There are tools to map the Gradnetz coordinates from the reports. It's quite useful to determine in which area a unit was active on a certain date.

First time i see this part of the Kuban Map, thanks 😎

There is also a Unit cronik available in 4 Parts about the JG52 (have only part 2) but i think only in german

715gcFS4V7L.jpg

Hi Juri,

I have tried the scramble mission two times (third mission I think).

On the first attempt was shutdown by IL2, my fault.
On the second attempt my plane was damaged and my engine stopped, but I have managed to land on the airfield, the landing was successful but mission failed. Is it supposed to be like this? I think I have recorded the landing process, if you want I can upload.

Edited by Zeev
8 minutes ago, Zeev said:

Hi Juri,

I have tried the scramble mission two times (third mission I think).

On the first attempt was shutdown by IL2, my fault.
On the second attempt my plane was damaged and my engine stopped, but I have managed to land on the airfield, the landing was successful but mission failed. Is it supposed to be like this? I think I have recorded the landing process, if you want I can upload.

I think when your engine stops the game counts your plane as destroyed and the mission failed event gets triggered. I don't think there is much I can do about it.

3 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

I think when your engine stops the game counts your plane as destroyed and the mission failed event gets triggered. I don't think there is much I can do about it.

OK Thanks.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, Semor76 said:

Just finished the first 2 missions. Good work Juri.

I´m now swaping the skins for EVERY Plane in the Mission Editor, one by one,  Mission for mission....and I can´t stop now 😆

I´ve found some JG52 skins in the Bf109G6 Folder. Dont know how accurate they are and who was the author. I have way too many skins...but I think it looks way better now.

2020_7_18__1_0_3.jpg

2020_7_19__12_51_58.jpg

Oh!.. These skins are mine. Please, use it! ) Hope you like them. I tried to keep colors uniform with default ones, though made RLM 76 bit darker. And there should be "red 7", "red 9" in a team.

• Like 1

Completed Mission 2 successfully with 2 enemy shot down and  a good landing at the nearby field.

Excellent idea  of not having the enemy planes labeled but visible on the map, I had a heck of a time seeing them.

However I did take a couple of squirts at the Stukas before I recognized their landing gear.

Good campaign but would like to see more activity on the departure field.

13 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Excellent idea  of not having the enemy planes labeled but visible on the map, I had a heck of a time seeing them.

I haven't disabled any aircraft labels in the campaign. Maybe you have accidently pressed the key to disable HUD/markers?

13 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Good campaign but would like to see more activity on the departure field.

Maybe I will add some more activity in the next version.

• Like 1

Campaign updated to game version 4.501.

Other changes:

- Added a little more activity at the player's airfield.

- Added a few additional AI planes in some missions.

- Added femal pilots to some of the U-2s.

- Some minor adjustments to waypoint settings.

My other campaigns have been updated to the latest game version too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5