What software to measure VR performance?

For Oculus you do not require buying anything. Just use either the Oculus Tray Tool and enable the appropriate overlay for what you want under "Visual HUD" or just use the OculusDebugTool provided with the oculus software (Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics).

I would suggest ditching SteamVR and using OpenComposite instead (gain some performance just by doing that) and then keep either of the above open with the overlay HUD set to show "Application Render Time" which gives you the crucial information of cpu and gpu frametimes and tweak away.

Edited by Firdimigdi
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Firdimigdi said:

For Oculus you do not require buying anything. Just use either the Oculus Tray Tool and enable the appropriate overlay for what you want under "Visual HUD" or just use the OculusDebugTool provided with the oculus software (Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics).

I would suggest ditching SteamVR and using OpenComposite instead (gain some performance just by doing that) and then keep either of the above open with the overlay HUD set to show "Application Render Time" which gives you the crucial information of cpu and gpu frametimes and tweak away.

Fully agree.

And you will likely gain performance using Open Composite instead of Steam VR as suggested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, when using the OTT HUD, you want to pay attention to Application Render Timing (not FPS) and observe in game to keep your frame times below ~12ms. I don't know much of the technicality but have followed that advice with good results

• Upvote 1