SARFlytitus

P-47 D22 RAZORBACKS of the ETO

Sorry to ear that about your friend, SARFlytus :sorry:, unfortunately we sometimes have to accept not having all the answers to our questions in this life...

• Like 1

Inspired by the post of @Yardstick, I ask if anyone is in possession of any information relating to this plane and its pilot.

It would be nice to be able to associate it with a name and maybe a face ...

Thanx in advance!

UN-P.thumb.jpg.bda68fe16da3c483fae4acaa6b37d568.jpg

31 minutes ago, Swing said:

Sorry to ear that about your friend, SARFlytus :sorry:, unfortunately we sometimes have to accept not having all the answers to our questions in this life...

@SwingI thank you for your feelings of closeness. I am 56 years old, I have been working as a radiologist in a hospital for 35 years. In its operating rooms I have seen many times and still today I see the dramas and tragedies that upset lives, families, friendships and affections. You're right, we never have the answers we would like to accept the loss of loved ones.

I myself have lost my firstborn. today he would have been 21 years old. I too have asked myself many questions. Why? How can you put out that unbearable sense of emptiness? Never found an answer. There is always that dull and permanent pain like an ugly tattoo in your soul. The passage of time barely attenuates the endless sense of loss.

We fight for those who stay,  we don't give up,  we poke our noses everywhere and we care about everything because only in this way can we stay afloat and really give meaning to our life.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi SARFlytus,

may your friend rest in peace.

41-6268 UN*P was a P-47C-2-RE originally assigned to Major Lucian A. "Pete" Dade, Hopkinsville, Kentucky.

It was reassigned to Lieutenant Janson on Dade 's transfer to the 62nd FS and lost on 8 October 1943

when Lt. Dover C. Fleming Jr was KIA, being downed by enemy fighters near Amsterdam.

Dade_0.thumb.jpg.9880b3e5a708f1c2a07789669455835f.jpg

On this photograph, taken in January 1945 for the celebration of the second anniversary of the 56th arriving

in the ETO as well as its 800 confirmed victories, Dade is third from right.

Dade_1.thumb.jpg.afa4db47c9735c1f2e48bffd5611daed.jpg

Source : Zemke's Wolfpack - A Photographic Odyssey Of The 56th Fighter Group During WWII, by Nigel Julian and Peter Randall,

published in 2015 by Fighting High Ltd.

FB29A356-82B2-49B2-A410-3108B301E423.jpeg.eab9aff4d717703cc35bc8f0e660b144.jpeg

Highly recommended !!👍

Edited by Pierre64
Source added

Posted (edited)

@BlitzPigVoidcracker Thanx m8, then you can understand well.  Strange what life is, right? Sometimes honey for breakfast and too often  cold piss for dinner ...

Ok, head high and back straight!

The show must go on!

@Pierre64 Thanx to you too m8 for your kind words and thanx so much for the invaluable contribution and for the suggestion to the book by Julian and Randall. Now I try to buy it.

It's missing in my library, how did this happen?!?😉

The hunt continues ... will anyone find out the name of the pilot of this Jug?

889943410_DREAMBABY.jpg.8ed347653b6791046d534383012f2f2a.jpg

In gratitude for the research work I would like to donate a collector plane to those who find the answer to this mystery and, retroactively, also @Yardstick and @Pierre64.

Gentlemen, let me know which plane you have chosen and ASAP will do some shopping!

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Like 1

@SARFlytitus I am truly sorry for the passing of your friend. When someone takes their own life, it's the people they leave behind that are left to wonder why and wonder what they could have don't done to prevent suck a tragedy. This passes on the blame from them to you and everyone they left behind to bare the sorrow of their loss. Spoken from experience - it's not your fault my friend. There is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent this, without the person asking for help!

@JG7_X-Man

Thank you for the feeling of closeness. Life dispenses this kind of unpleasant "surprises" to everyone. Well, I begin to wonder if I really have the right to be angry with my friend, I try to accept everything thinking that if he made this decision, the discomfort he had inside was really strong enough not to leave him any other way. I know he was aware of causing so much pain but evidently what he felt was even greater. It is not easy but I will make myself a reason respecting his will. WOW, we shared some great moments and these remain etched throughout life, far more than tears! Shit! Do you want to see that I'm getting wise as I get older? By the way, did you see that as per your request I made the skin of "Peg O 'My Heart"? I hope you liked it, let me know ...😉

• Like 1

@SARFlytitus : thanks a lot for the collector plane but I already own them all. Please, give it for me to the forum member of your choice 👍

By the way, "Dream baby" (HV*G - 416401) was the P-47 C flown by Paul A. Conger, Piedmont, Ca.

10E0798D-7DF3-4E4E-A7C5-2327D6CF0591.thumb.jpeg.15a92306eb39a292f03d501614e08cf3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@SARFlytitus

I'm sorry about your friend, a great girlfriend  recently left.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by E69_julian57
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, SARFlytitus said:

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "DELICIAS DE MORTICIA"

Capt. Neal Worley
S / N 28438 B4 W

387º FS, 365º FG

1186830374_MORTICIANS.thumb.jpg.769efa6f903a464f51e639fe72617068.jpg

DELIGHT.thumb.jpg.7a0133e4302cc6b0db945da81e1cf391.jpg

DESCARGA AQUÍ !

ok, le pido que sea paciente si encuentra algunos errores en estas últimas máscaras. Son el resultado de muchas horas de insomnio.

Este desollado de inmersión total es mi forma de dar descanso a los malos pensamientos ... Anoche, un amigo fraterno se quitó la vida ahorcándose.

No es un mensaje o una carta para explicar este gesto desesperado. Un gran hombre, un amigo sincero, siempre dispuesto a ayudar a quienes lo necesitan.

Carlo es, de hecho, fue un bombero y rescatador apasionado, un excelente buzo, tenía un buen trabajo, una casa acogedora y siempre abierta para amigos, una bella esposa ... en resumen, una vida intensa llena de afectos y pasiones. y en un momento: ¡PUFFFFF!

No más Carlo, no más risas juntos, no más cervezas congeladas frente a la barbacoa. Todo terminado. El interruptor se ha apagado.

Queda en todos nosotros que amamos solo el arrepentimiento y muchas preguntas oscuras: ¿por qué ninguno de nosotros notó nada? ¿Por qué nunca hemos entendido que en este ser de su presencia volcánica en la vida cotidiana se ocultaba este malestar, un "dolor de vivir" tan profundo? No lo sé ahora y nunca lo sabremos, Carlo trajo todas las respuestas con él, en la oscuridad infinita.

Quería recordar ... Donde quiera que fueras, espero que encuentres esa paz que no tenías aquí. te echaremos de menos !

CIAO CARLO !!!

I'm sorry for that loss of that good friend of yours, Carlo.
Unfortunately I have been through the same and I know the pain you feel!
I just want to tell you that a big hug from Spain, and many encouragements to both the Family and you.
R.I.P

• Sad 1

@E69_julian57 & @III/JG52_Lothar29

Muchas gracias por su cercanía, así como por lo que han expresado muchos otros amigos aquí en el foro. No es un simple gesto de cortesía o educación, vale mucho más. ¡Es la verdadera comodidad de sentirse parte de algo, una comunidad, una banda de hermanos! En un mundo que corre cada vez más rápido, a veces casi nos olvidamos de estos valores. Encontrarlos llena el corazón y aligera la carga. ¡De Verdad! De nuevo, te doy las gracias y te abrazo en un abrazo virtual pero lleno de verdadera gratitud y emoción. Gracias amigos, ¡el propio Carlo te habría encontrado adorable!

Thank you very much for your closeness as well as for what has been expressed by many other friends here on the forum. It is not a simple gesture of courtesy or education, it is worth much more. It is the real comfort of feeling part of something, a community, a band of brothers! In a world that runs faster and faster we sometimes almost forget about these values. Finding them fills the heart and makes the burden lighter. Really! So again I thank you and I embrace you in a virtual embrace but full of real gratitude and emotion. Thanks Friends, Carlo himself would have found you adorable!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, Pierre64 said:

@SARFlytitus : thanks a lot for the collector plane but I already own them all. Please, give it for me to the forum member of your choice 👍

By the way, "Dream baby" (HV*G - 416401) was the P-47 C flown by Paul A. Conger, Piedmont, Ca.

10E0798D-7DF3-4E4E-A7C5-2327D6CF0591.thumb.jpeg.15a92306eb39a292f03d501614e08cf3.jpeg

@Pierre64 Thanx M8, Much appreciated , as usual ! 

Since I could not choose any deserving member among the many of this forum, I will adopt the ancient technique of:

"Whoever writes first wins"

( Obviously, Please write which is the desired collector plane...)😉

AGAIN, I'VE JUST REUPLOADED ALL P47 SKINS , SLIGHTLY MODIFIED ALPHA LAYER FOR MORE MATT FINISH AND CORRECTED THE SMALL  HATCH ON THE PORT SIDE, YOU KNOW... AND ALSO THE LITTLE FLAWS ON THE PROPELLER HUB AS PER SUGGESTION OF @Yardstick WHOM I PUBLICLY THANK !

From the original publication date of the skins, some small errors have emerged, I don't know if caused by the template or by the 3d model. Some of our best skinners soon found and shared the way to make almost perfect "ad interim" corrections. I thank them all sincerely @Yardstick & @Raptorattacker...even if this forced me to redo all my Razorbacks skins ...

DAMN! 

Just now i've uploaded all the new CORRECTED skins but, as I am very lazy I have not redone the screenshots.
I apologize and I hope you enjoy my work.

Edited by SARFlytitus
new skins with corrected hatch, propeller hub and alpha layer
  • Thanks 3

"LIBERTY BELLE" is still waiting for its pilot ...

Anyone know him?  

964802374_LIBERTYBELLE.thumb.jpg.362dfb194a492584b4f714f75c5956a3.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like we have a winner :dance:

Image1.thumb.jpg.283d4842ba81fc971f36a9e07ab045dc.jpg

I'm not sure if Kozey was the regular pilot of this aircraft but he was flying it when it and he were shot down.

Edited by Yardstick
  • Thanks 1

Update on 4-16620 'Powers Girl'.  Found this pic of the aircraft which demonstrates the Jug's phenomenal durability (you can just make out the nose art).

1442538537_media-207081.jpg.adb7bb5fa3f8eae4a58ae0709e102a3b.jpg

I've also noticed that some of your early series 56th FG skins have a 6 digit serial number beginning with a '4'.  The above aircraft was 4-16620 but the 4 was not included on the tail.  Later series S/Ns moved to 7 digits eg. 42-75513. 

I need to double check but I am pretty certain that all early series Jugs have serial numbers on the tail of 5 digits beginning with a '1' or in some cases a '2'.  The change to 6 digits may have come with the 'D series', as later production aircraft have 6 digits beginning with a '2'.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SARFlytitus said:

"LIBERTY BELLE" is still waiting for its pilot ...

Anyone know him?  

964802374_LIBERTYBELLE.thumb.jpg.362dfb194a492584b4f714f75c5956a3.jpg

Two pilots of this P-47D-2-RA HV*N were Lt Samuel D Hamilton, Tutwiler, MS. and Joseph R Curtis, Houston, TX

This plane was lost in combat on 03/15/1944 near Quakenbrück, Germany (MACR 3052), flown by John Kozey Jr. who baled out and became prisoner of war.

45CD4FA3-1385-4287-AB72-E996406B5BD1.jpeg.e96e17fa4f0483295def99dc846d5641.jpegA720B1BC-6AB8-49C3-BD30-09A84B704309.jpeg.e30f03e183c66c2764dd62f7224ef1df.jpeg

Note the stenciled code letters and overpainted white rudder band ;) 

On the color photograph, the artwork is still unfinished with "Liberty Belle" letters only chalked.

Sources 

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/56th-fighter-group/ (highly recommended)
http://files.usgwarchives.net/ms/tallahatchie/cemeteries/rosemond.txt   

(Edited  with more infos found in the book "Zemke's Wolfpack") :

A closer view of "Liberty Belle" with Lt Curtis sitting on the wing with his crew : Staff Sergeant Anthony Rosati (crew chief) and

Staff Sergeant John Coble (Assistant).

Liberty_Belle.thumb.jpg.5bbacb64ea1b96e4ab4ad9ab3b163fd9.jpg

Edited by Pierre64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Pierre64  & @Yardstick,after seeing new photographic sources posted by Pierre64 i'm in the process of correcting my skin of "Liberty Belle" 

but I'm not sure how to correctly interpret the outline of the star & bars in the fuselage: RED or dark BLUE? what do you think?

It is certain that with the help of people of your caliber around the forum even a 3 year old would be able to make historically accurate skins ... be patient with me! 🤣

Posted (edited)

On USAAF national insignias, red outline was in use for a short period of time during Summer 43, from 29 June to 14 August.

On the photograph above, trees have already lost their leaves.

I should say the stars outlines are overpainted  with dark blue.😎

(But a red outline would be nice too 🤠)

Edited by Pierre64

Posted (edited)

It a tricky one.  In the first 18 months of it's participation in the war, the USAAF went through numerous version of its national insignia:

• white star with red centre in a white circle
  • as above no red spot
  • as above with yellow outline
  • stars and bars outlined in red
  • stars and bars.

You can imagine what the crew chiefs thought of all that!  

Both versions 4 and 5 are probably correct for this aircraft depending on its service life.  It could be that the red outline has been overpainted in different type of blue paint and its reflecting oddly in the photo - Pierre64's point about the trees seems to confirm this.  It's odd though as I have never noticed this effect before.

BTW remember that both the fuselage and wing insignia need to be outlined (same goes for all the 5 options - wing and fuselage need to be the same).  Actually national insignia of Jugs can be a minefield.  Fuselage placement differs (not sure if this is a Republic / Curtis built variation) and underwing insignia size can also differ, with a period when 2 oversized stars and bars was stipulated to try and discourage overzealous friendly AA gunners.   

Edited by Yardstick

@Pierre64 & @Yardstick 

Well, i'm well aware of different style of stars and their use. Yours are excellent arguments! Mine was an interpretative doubt often caused by wartime black and white photos 

and God only knows how often this causes me great headaches when I study some 109 of the ANR or almost worse, the messerschmitt of the luftwaffe in the Italian theater in 1944-45. doubts based on the type of photographic emulsion used, which shade of gray more or less dark, even black corresponds to what was actually red. Anyway, following a logical thread of mine I imagined the darker blue covering  the red outline to be quite plausible, perhaps even the obliteration of the ID bands on the tail suggests some kind of Lo-Viz directive ... however, it's a shame, even if the red outline is very photogenic, I think I will opt for blue! Thanks to both of you,

you are SPECTACULARLY PRECIOUS!

Posted (edited)

DONE !

After corrections suggested by @Pierre64 & @Yardstick

Now seems almost decent...

889389323_LIBERTYB.thumb.jpg.02979e0d932b0d94764a8ce99aef7968.jpg

UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK IN PREVIOUS POST

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent !

...But still needs  pilot and crew names under port side of canopy 😈

• Haha 1

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  "MISSISSIPPI REBEL "

1st Lt. Lloyd A. Hutchins
S/N 275320  D5 X

386th  FS ,  365th FG

1869337449_MISSOURIREBEL.thumb.jpg.1910462355fa3b249b029972febfbeb5.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Hope you like !

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

@SARFlytitus

Hi buddy

i am very sad to read these news!

I am so sorry for you and your friends loss!

These are hard times, i am truely sorry!!

PS: btw i told you i do not have enough likes!!! 😉

Great skins and thank you for giving us these birds. My greatest respect.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For those interested:

Thanks to the attention and expertise of @Yardstick & @Pierre64, I made some important corrections on some of my P 47 Razorbacks skins.

The following links have been updated: "LIBERTY BELLE", "POWERS GIRL", "TIPSY", "DREAM BABY" and, last but not least "UN * P".

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Thanks 1

Republic P-47C Thunderbolt  " RAT RACER "

Lt. Frank Mc Cauley
S/N 4-16271  HV Z

61st  FS ,  56th FG

294252181_RATRACER1.thumb.jpg.c07f676b3426a010faf3b66751476dec.jpg

1684696023_RATRACER2.thumb.jpg.6d5b9fcaa4a95f9bd08d178d327bdd7f.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Hope you like !

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Republic P-47C Thunderbolt 

Lt. Col. James A. Clark
S/N 4-16195  QP W

334th  FS 

CLARK.thumb.jpg.ab0284d8cd9d154bdd64379ecdb72127.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

Lt. Col. Oscar H. Coen
S/N 4-16413 QP V

334th  FS 

COEN.thumb.jpg.722d5b328b07a6e32d9c10a1edb91702.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st. Lt. Richard V. Douglass
S/N 4-16413 QP R

334th  FS 

DOUGLASS.thumb.jpg.e7b721b209e32a133c4d06cb20a52833.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

1st. Lt. Donald H. Ross
S/N 4-16359 WD K

335th  FS 

ROSS.thumb.jpg.36455bbb6acb2e1cbb85d3d14bcc5615.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "PISTOL PACKIN MAMMA"

Maj. Fonzo D. Smith
S/N 27936 WD W

335th  FS 

PISTOL.thumb.jpg.85706d5b833e974fb701bbd78b16218b.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "HELL'S BELLE"

Capt. Charles F. Anderson
S/N 274726 WD V

335th  FS 

HELLSBELLE.thumb.jpg.dfe85e2f2f732c582b335b64aac77177.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Hope you Like !

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, SARFlytitus said:

Maj. Carl H. Miley
S/N 4-16579 VF L

336th  FS 

MILEY.thumb.jpg.db3b57b113bb850243aafaf6f4f71f1f.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

OMG! My hero for P-47 D22 Skins! incredible work in little time... Thx

• Thanks 2

Beautiful skins !!! You are great!!! BRODDOI !!!🤩

• Haha 1

Thank you very much, Flytitus.

Nice work.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  " Rozzie Geth Boche Buster "

Capt. Frederick Christensen
S/N 275207  LM C

62nd FS  56th FG

1717228237_ROZZIEGETH.thumb.jpg.0c0d5014472683be540d89370ad6d2a9.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Republic P-47C Thunderbolt  “Happy Warrior”

Lt. Harold “Bunny” Comstock

S/N 41-6326 UN-Y

63rd FS, 56th FG

867125081_HAPPYWARRIOR.thumb.jpg.0f16d6dbb3844ebfe1a4e5abcf0a1db8.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republic P-47C Thunderbolt  “JACKIE”

Capt. Robert Lamp

S/N 41-6211 HV-L

61st FS, 56th FG

JACKIE.thumb.jpg.1d788b50a7beaff124be4e5e75506494.jpg

JACKIE2.thumb.jpg.508cdded5429dc74edbf4ac75b6f437f.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Lt. Samuel O. Stamps

S/N 325307  UN-S

63rd FS, 56th FG

1849069121_UNS.thumb.jpg.3d0a177b5b3c5de8b56c4891585b617d.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  "Hollywood High Hatter"

Lt. Paul Conger

S/N 42-75435  HV-C 

61st FS, 56th FG

HOLLYWOOD.thumb.jpg.daece8c3b36bf91107cdb93fb096af17.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  "Little One”

2nd Lt.David T. Zimms

S/N 42-8381  PE-B

328th FS, 352nd FG 

596240677_LITTLEONE.thumb.jpg.8511f7797e8c33445f8f737f204214c7.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Republic P-47C Thunderbolt  "Li'l Abner/Torchy"

Capt. Eugene O'Neil

S/N 41-6347  LM-O    

62nd FS, 56th FG 

1530038607_LILABNER.thumb.jpg.451bb3cc2196f5b17446f52069068661.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  "HAIRLESS JOE"    

Maj. David Schilling  

S/N 27938   LM-S

62nd FS, 56th FG

2099340709_HAIRLESSJOE.thumb.jpg.6c58f9f08c3bf71dc197614b649ef7bf.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt  "Ol Steel Butt"

Lt. John Aranyos

S/N 276468  UN-R

63rd FS,  56th FG

871904169_OLSTEEL2.thumb.jpg.9355212ec8814c7c8ebaee441505d347.jpg

610494616_OLSTEELBUTT.thumb.jpg.3c07ddd87585079eb6692daace132514.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE !

OK, now I guess I'm going on vacation for a while ...

...as well as the 56th Razorbacks!

I hope you like them all

Edited by SARFlytitus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

gread job SARFlytitus

Edited by III/JG52_Lothar29
  • Thanks 1

If anybody is curious why a 56th FG P-47 (Samuel Stamps UN-S) is sporting a blue nose, it is because the group pioneered the use of coloured cowlings in the 8th AAF.  Initially these were squadron specific: red for the 61st, yellow for the 62nd and blue for the 63rd FS and were first used operationally on the 6th Feb 1944.  The coloured cowlings proved both successful in allowing squadrons to easily identify themselves when re-forming following a bounce but also helped to cement the 56th reputation as somewhat of an elite unit.  However, it was not long before 8th Fighter Command was inundated with requests from other units to follow suit and on the 13th March, the use of standardised group colours / markings was formally authorised and the 56th adopted the red cowl on all aircraft that it then used for the remainder of hostilities.

Another little detail is the 'underscore' sported in the tactical markings of some 56th aircraft e.g. HV-C.  By late 1943, the complement of aircraft had been increased from 75 to 108 allowing the 56th and other select 8th AAF fighter groups to undertake two complete missions a day under the moniker of A and B groups.  With 108 aircraft spread across the three squadrons, it became necessary to adopt the 'underscore' to avoid aircraft having the duplicate squadron identification markings. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2