Sign in to follow this  
chiliwili69

What FoV number do you get for your device? (number below fps counter)

Posted (edited)

For those who don't want to watch a video for something that could be conveyed vastly more quickly:

Oculus Rift S 86°/110° (horizontal/vertical)
Vive Cosmos 82°/112°
HP Reverb G2 98°/114°
HP Reverb G1 94°/106°
HTC Vive Pro 98°/126°
Valve Index Max 108°/130°
Valve Index Min 100°/112°
Odyssey+ 102°/130°
Oculus Quest 92°/116°
Pimax Artisan 128°/124°
Pimax 8KX 140°/124°

For the Valve Index, I have measured it with lenses as close to eyes as possible (MAX) and as far away as possible (MIN). Pimax headsets have been set to their respective maximum FOV setting.

(from https://community.openmr.ai/t/mrtv-fov-comparison/29929)

EDIT: Important. The Pimax 8KX is much wider than originally posted by MRTV. It's at least 160 degrees horizontal in large mode.

Edited by Alonzo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's false. He messed up a lot of the values.

1. Several things. Cosmos has larger FOV than Vive Pro. That's the first issue.

2. Then the Pimax issue - it's 160° horizontal. He didn't restart SteamVR after switching from normal to large FOV, there's a large discussion on the Pimax forums about him right now. Many users who have received their 8KX have run the same test - the one he linked to now - as well, and all got to at least 160° horizontal. I see you have taken part in that discussion as well @Alonzo, and figured he forgot to set the 8KX to wide FOV - which is what happened.

Guys, think what you want about this. To me, his credibility is 0% now. Why is that? Because he doesn't admit to his mistakes publicly. He does not remove his videos from YouTube in order to redo them. Maybe he can't, because he depends on the scandal and exposure to generate clicks and sales for the HP Reverb G2, which he is selling as an affiliate. Even though he should take these videos down, because of the mistakes he made - he doesn't do that. He just winds his way out of it with arbitrary comments and now calls it "his personally usable" FOV now. But doesn't apply this to the Reverb G1, for example, but states its full FOV range. 🤦‍♂️

He's getting into a shitstorm over his "approach" over here right now https://community.openmr.ai/t/mrtv-fov-comparison/29929/129

So far I was sitting aside eating popcorn. But it's kind of silly that he has so much influence by now, that he feeds his false information to the Sim community now too - and people readily believe it, and don't question what he says. Even if it was so blatantly obvious. It's a shame tbh.

I thought this to be quite the funny analogy 😁

image.png.05d1ef9b9c5da658b5f823a4779ab5cf.png

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

This is quite the "scandal" indeed.  

I am shocked that the goofy guy on the internet making movies in his closet would sabotage those Cosmos sales and slight the Pimax community.  If anything your jeremiad doesn't go far enough in addressing this situation.  If you find a statue of Salvino D'Armate it should be torn down.   😘

2 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

This is quite the "scandal" indeed.  

I am shocked that the goofy guy on the internet making movies in his closet would sabotage those Cosmos sales and slight the Pimax community.  If anything your jeremiad doesn't go far enough in addressing this situation.  If you find a statue of Salvino D'Armate it should be torn down.   😘

I am shocked that I agree to one of your posts fully. I haven't found a D'Armate statue though. Since Sir Isaac Newton was an old evil optical expert, they ought to remove this oppressive title of him and crush his statue in the British Library, including all prisms in schools for being the tools of oppression to lightrays, the whips and shackles to rainbows. 

LOL does anyone else not just take all these video reviewers with a grain of salt? They are not worth getting worked up over.

I put way more stock in actual general public's views on their experience with a headset than these guys.

• Like 1

Well that's basically the last time I ever post anything by MRTV. I used to think he had credibility and integrity, now, none at all. It's all just hype to generate clicks to sell gear via affiliate links.

I've edited my post to clarify and remove the misinformation.