Sybreed

Would a engine upgrade be in the cards?

1 hour ago, 216th_Cat said:

I find the whole SP v MP thing laughable. Some folks get so defensive about their little bit of Il-2 GB. Just get on with it and have fun.

Totally agree.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No such thing as MP guys.  We all get access to the same things.  If you choose not to use that access, that’s your problem.

I am not talking about me, if you read my post, I answered on Jordan's post, I am fine with the decision to make all maps available for MP, but there are people, who can't play MP, because they simply don't have the internet for it, or for other reasons. But according to the argumentation of MP guys;), they of course have the decision to live somewhere else.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

but there are people, who can't play MP, because they simply don't have the internet for it, or for other reasons. But according to the argumentation of MP guys;), they of course have the decision to live somewhere else.

They chose to buy a game even though they’re not able to use all the features.  You don’t honestly think that they have a legitimate complaint, do you?  

30 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:
Edited by BraveSirRobin
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I have no problem with full access for all maps on mp. 
I just find it hard to swollow that “ mp only” guys should have rights to deny SP players 

access to payware. That is the case not opposite. I give a damn what other people do. And so should they

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I just find it hard to swollow that “ mp only” guys should have rights to deny SP players 

access to payware.

No one is doing anything like that.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No one is doing anything like that.  

That was the start of the dispute. 
and canada followed that logic. And it went quite wild. Canada fired up a little

2 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

and canada followed that logic. And it went quite wild. Canada fired up a little

Don't mess with Canada

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

No, it wasn't.  That was a ridiculous imaginary "issue" created out of thin air so someone could play victim for a while.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No, it wasn't.  That was a ridiculous imaginary "issue" created out of thin air so someone could play victim for a while.

Read again I am sure you get it. 
all though sarcasm is your expertise, it is not that far apart 

3 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Read again I am sure you get it. 
all though sarcasm is your expertise, it is not that far apart 

I got it just fine the first time. Someone wanted to play victim for a while, so he created an issue out of nothing.

To answer the OP, I don't think a new engine is on the cards, but I would certainly love for enough upgrades to be able to fly heavies, not get stutters on the more detailed maps and to be able to have more AI on SP and MP.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

...because they simply don't have the internet for it...

Can you name some of them?

17 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I don't care for that, as I would not use it anyway, but for example I am one of them. I have too often brakes in internet to play online. Even downloading updates or new PWCG versions can sometimes be challenging.

But I more often read of guys, usually in other countries, who have issues with internet. But when it is about internet, Germany still is a developing country.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

Well... the areas in which 5/1 Mbps connections are possible has a improved a lot in Canada... usually at $250-$850 per year depending on where you live. Most small cities do 50/10 Mbps at $600-1200 per year. However, if you are outside of the cities you may not be able to get coverage at all.

So there are actually a lot of people who can afford an older computer (for work/school etc.) and a copy of the game (a one-time purchase) but who can't reliably afford Internet... and there are some places you simply can't get it at all.

I have a bad feeling we are slowly making this discussion into Migoto3D Controversy™ 2.0 

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons why Il-2 has an offline mode is because of those types of connection issues. I actually was one of the people who lobbied the devs quite a bit about it - because I was considering a career path that meant I might not even be able to log on for a few hundred kilobytes of DRM confirmation messages. I also raised it because my mother grew up in a Northern community with no road access... and I was raised to remember that and keep in mind the people who live there.

6 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

I find the whole SP v MP thing laughable. Some folks get so defensive about their little bit of Il-2 GB. Just get on with it and have fun.

Some people want newer graphical rendering techniques, some think they've put too much time into the graphics and would prefer more time on map details and ground targets. Some people play multiplayer competitively, some more historical/role-playing in focus. Some people prefer hand craft scripted campaigns, others dynamic campaigns (and others strategic campaigns... at least in some of the older sims). Some people prefer quick missions.

We're all different. The devs do a remarkable job of catering to us considering that diversity.  I'm sure most of us kindof come-off to the devs as either entitled idiots or simply idiots... at least some of the time.

The fact is we often don't understand each other... or how we use the sim and it is probably good to learn from each other. Just as we often don't realise what Internet conditions are like in other countries.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Sybreed said:

Don't mess with Canada

Our air force is to be feared. 

Assuming we can find where we left the plane...

But by god if we get airborne there will be hell to pay!  :angry:

• Haha 8
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I've heard those Cessna CF 150s are really hard to get a lock on.

😁

Pity about that Arrow thingie though... 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Our air force is to be feared. 

Assuming we can find where we left the plane...

But by god if we get airborne there will be hell to pay!  :angry:

“the plane” 

lol

As devs mentioned there is a chance in a future that PTO will be separate product on different engine, from there il2 could go with heavies and larger formations which will be imo game changer.....lets hope they get enough big playerbase and funds for that!

For now i would be quite happy with flyable b25/26 and continuation of il2 improvement trend as it is currently!

//and some 3rd party collector maps for @CanadaOne //😉

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Avimimus said:

So there are actually a lot of people who can afford an older computer (for work/school etc.) and a copy of the game (a one-time purchase) but who can't reliably afford Internet... and there are some places you simply can't get it at all.

In my country of origin there is lot of people who can't afford unexpected payment about 300 € and I'm not messing discussion with that.
We might make a poll about maps in Polls section to find if problem is really here or it's just minor issue for a few players. 

Posted (edited)

If Il2 was an online only game I wouldn't have spent a dime on it. Not a lead cent.

I'm not into the "competitive" horse shit and I'm not going to pay for somthing that forces me to play in a way I don't like. Thats why I hate WT with a passion.

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 8

14 hours ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

40 kilometres away from me, about two-weeks ago.

The customers paid $800 to have trees cleared so their internet dish could have a line of sight with a wifi tower, and the customer still has to have the technicians back to see if it works. His only other option was through his phone as a hotspot or a satellite setup which can be stupid expensive here. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

40 kilometres away from me, about two-weeks ago.

The customers paid $800 to have trees cleared so their internet dish could have a line of sight with a wifi tower, and the customer still has to have the technicians back to see if it works. His only other option was through his phone as a hotspot or a satellite setup which can be stupid expensive here. 

Huh, good to know that in some ways I'm not living in a third world country. 

Edited by desolunatic

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I’m thinking of moving somewhere here in the U.S. where standard internet doesn’t exist. Only option will be satellite and I’m not sure it will be fast enough for online play in that area because of overselling.

Even right now I’m in a very developed area and my connection is barely enough to even consider online play.

Edited by Gambit21

24 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I’m thinking of moving somewhere here in the U.S. where standard internet doesn’t exist. Only option will be satellite and I’m not sure it will be fast enough for online play in that area because of overselling.

Even right now I’m in a very developed area and my connection is barely enough to even consider online play.

have you signed up for the starlink beta?  Seems promising..  Musk and all...

https://www.starlink.com/

Just now, Didney_World said:

Just about to post that.....their aim is to cover U.S and Canada in 2020 while going global by 2021

1 minute ago, Didney_World said:

You don‘t want the ping of satellite connections for online gaming.

1 minute ago, ZachariasX said:

You don‘t want the ping of satellite connections for online gaming.

this one is different. they are flying much much lower and the latency is supposedly going to be within 50ms round-trip

/

Internet traffic via a geostationary satellite has a minimum theoretical round-trip latency of at least 477 ms (between user and ground gateway), but in practice, current satellites have latencies of 600 ms or more. Starlink satellites would orbit at 130 to 1105 of the height of geostationary orbits, and thus offer more practical Earth-to-sat latencies of around 25 to 35 ms

/

@Gambit21 I really don't envy you. In Czechia I have optics 100MB/100MB connection for just £10/month.
In the UK I have  70MB/10MB for  £40.

Engine Update - we just got one.

Deferred Rendering 4.06 - ok not DX12 or Vulcan but it puts the candy generation on the GPU freeing up the CPU for other things.

Add to that in 4.08c they sneaked in improved bump mapping for the Kuban Map and prior to that Moscow and Stalingrad Maps.  Then there are the cloud fixes and AI (planes and ground units with AA being something to respect not but not in a I was snipped kind of way).

This Series is more like a Rolling Release with updates to all assets over time and continually so.  This but at a more stable level than the modern plane equiv.

If they do a major engine update - I would hope it is in a way that allows them to utilise the current assets and improve on them across the board.

We'll see what the future brings but compared to 2016 and earlier - this is a completely different beast of a sim and I like it. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

On 7/13/2020 at 9:29 PM, Feathered_IV said:

I’m more interested in better gameplay than new maps or aircraft.  

nice to come back to the forums after awhile and see you, as always, posting very smart things here. +1

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, Sybreed said:

I was talking to friends about IL-2 and how it would be neat to try some coop action (either through PWCG or Vander's MG), and surprisingly, one said he felt IL-2 is starting to look dated.

Can't say I disagree, though I'm not really bothered by it. But, come to think of it, would a engine upgrade be possible? Something that would make IL-2 look a bit more sharp and clean?

All I know is that if they are doing that and it is mandatory, while decreasing performance (increasing spec requirements), I'm going to sue them.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 3:55 PM, R3animate said:

Hmm, well, come to think of it we've just had several major upgrades in 4.0

1- New clouds in 4.002

2- Objects at 10km and distant cities in.. 4.003 or 4.004

3- New renderer, reflections, fxaa etc, new water, plus a huge perf boost overall, especially for VR in 4.006

4- New cloud tech to reduce/almost completely remove the plane+cloud visibility issues in 4.008

5- The damage model revamp in 4.005 

I guess my question is -- what do you consider an engine upgrade? 

I created multiple threads about that, but I think the only two things that need to change is the grass which need to be smaller and crash site smokes that need to stay for a couple of minutes to make it looks more like a battlefield. Otherwise I think IL2 is awesome.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:35 AM, =VARP=Ribbon said:

As devs mentioned there is a chance in a future that PTO will be separate product on different engine, from there il2 could go with heavies and larger formations which will be imo game changer.....lets hope they get enough big playerbase and funds for that!

For now i would be quite happy with flyable b25/26 and continuation of il2 improvement trend as it is currently!

//and some 3rd party collector maps for @CanadaOne //😉

I hope they will not create a new game. I actually think it would split the player base into different games and it will finish like IL2 1946 with only 20 players online for the whole week.

Edited by Nic727
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nic727 said:

[...] like IL2 1946 with only 20 players online for the whole week.

Thanks god there's something we can call "SP mode".

22 hours ago, Nic727 said:

...I hope they will not create a new game. I actually think it would split the player base into different games and it will finish like IL2 1946 with only 20 players online for the whole week.

I think what split IL-2 1946 was 1c released code to modders. So we had two factions - those that had modded versions of the game vs those that didn't have modded versions, which killed multiplayer. Then even with the modded versions we have Ultra, HSFX, Dark Blue World and CUP (that turned into BAT - I think). Thanks to @SAS_Storebror and his crew for keeping track of all that and seriously single-handedly keep the IL-2 1946 community alive. I fire it up once in awhile - 500+ aircraft (have to love it!)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, Nic727 said:

I hope they will not create a new game. I actually think it would split the player base into different games and it will finish like IL2 1946 with only 20 players online for the whole week.

Il2 1946 has 20 players cos it's ancient/old game!

If new game on a new engine is going to provide us PTO, new tech and remove limitations BoX has (small number of planes and AI units on server and in scenery, no heavies...etc) than i see no reason not to do it!

What we have now is fighter flight combat sim limited to small tactical fighter/fighter bomber engagements with sterile enviroment.....not enough in my book!

Having ability to fly proper bombers recreating big battles is only going to help MP!

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

@Gambit21 I really don't envy you. In Czechia I have optics 100MB/100MB connection for just £10/month.
In the UK I have  70MB/10MB for  £40.

I pay $80aud and only get 25/5mbs and I'm one of the lucky ones with fibre connection to my house. Funny how cost of same services are different around the world.

If they manage to do PTO in the future we need some floatplanes as well.

Edited by Tyberan

18 minutes ago, Tyberan said:

I pay $80aud and only get 25/5mbs and I'm one of the lucky ones with fibre connection to my house.

I wish you better connection quality.

5 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I wish you better connection quality.

It is the latency that kills us downunderites and unless there is a way to overcome the speed of light we will always have issues with connecting to European or U.S. based servers :(

We end up in the .......🚽 when flying with high latency connections.