Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Installation and Usage of SRS for IL-2 (Voice Comms App)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, dog1 said:

i dont play in windowed mode so that means i must go by trial and error , just select and say something , if no reply select next channel and so on , right ? 

Just play in windowed mode(full screen, not exclusive), if you're not in VR on Windows 10 it doesn't have any performance hit that I can see

 

There will be a new SRS release today if I can get my PC setup, currently having work done so tricky to do 

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.0.1

 

Changelog

  • Added Text to Speech to help VR users
  • Added binds for Channels 1-5
  • Text changes to descriptions on bindings / controls
  • Added Disable Wrap for next radio option
  • Fixed bug with connected client count on Intercom

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

 

Please dont forget to support this project too! Details on the link above on how to support 👍

 

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An installer will be coming - needs a while to build that and a few other things like the autoupdater again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

excuse my ignorance but my version already states 1.0.0.1?

There was a beta knocking around, just update to the one on the link above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dog1 said:

1) How do you know which channel you are on 1-5 if nothing is displayed ?

8 hours ago, dog1 said:

i dont play in windowed mode so that means i must go by trial and error , just select and say something , if no reply select next channel and so on , right ? 

 

Unfortunately only in (SR) overlay. 

 

In "the other game", with modern radios, you can see the channel set in aircraft radio(s), this is not viable in GB because most of era radios have only one channel, and radio use use is not modeled in game aircraft.

 

I think if SR developer add commands for each channel individually (besides the actual "channel up", "channel down") this will allow DIY players create a small USB module with cheap Arduino, with one button for each channel and LED indicating the last selected. Something like the "controller, electric type 12" for TR5043 radio in Spit iX (P-51, P-47...) radio

 

Edited by Sokol1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SokoI see the update above, there are binds for individual radios

 

You can also enable text to speech so SRS says the channel you select if you can't see the overlay

 

I.e SRS will say "channel 1" or "selected radio"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use it together with Voice Attack, now in the latest version with the individual mapping for channels you can just say what channel you want.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could we have  a separate thread where server hosts can put up that they run SRS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

excuse my ignorance but my version already states 1.0.0.1?

Mastiff, the beta version we had in the closed forum was the 1.001 version which is now public. That's why you already have the 1.001 version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Habu said:

Mastiff, the beta version we had in the closed forum was the 1.001 version which is now public. That's why you already have the 1.001 version.

As I posted in the testing forum though, the release is different so you will need to update again 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

the first button Radio 1 means  on off ?    In radio channel up and down , how do we know which is axis or allied ? what is intercom select for ?

Edited by dog1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@dog1 I think your best bet is just have a play with it, press all the buttons and try it on a server, the first post also lists all the settings and what they do

 

Select Radio (renamed from Radio 1) sets the Radio is active - which means when you press the push to talk you'll talk on the radio

Select Intercom sets the intercom as active - which means when you press the push to talk you'll talk on the Intercom

 

This behaviour can be changed with "Radio Switch works as Push to Talk" - which makes the select radio or select intercom select the system and transmit all in one - saving you a button

 

For Channels - each server will list in in their briefing or Discord. There aren't allied and Axis channels - your channels are locked to your side so you can't hear enemy comms if the server has enabled "Coalition Security" - you can check this in your SRS client in Server Settings

 

 

image.png.d6c8362a76089259e9acc2a4e3b69b58.png

 

image.png.627405d863b017ca585c5ac128c61d8c.png

Edited by ciribob
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

select intercom is my headphone ? the server says you have to  select the channel number to speak to others depending in which area you are in the mission , is this true ? so if you fly to another area you have to switch again if you remember the channel number and hoping the others do as well seems demanding to me and again when you go back to same area or to other . You'r flipping up and down at random and that distracts you completely from flying if not in windowed mode , if you start depending on this to combine strategy with others it will be utter confusion . 

Edited by dog1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, dog1 said:

select intercom is my headphone ? the server says you have to  select the channel number to speak to others depending in which area you are in the mission , is this true ? so if you fly to another area you have to switch again if you remember the channel number and hoping the others do as well seems demanding to me and again when you go back to same area or to other . You'r flipping up and down at random and that distracts you completely from flying if not in windowed mode , if you start depending on this to combine strategy with others it will be utter confusion . 

 

I'd post this in a specific server feedback as this isnt really an SRS thing - this is how a specific server has asked you to do it.

 

As I think it was you on combat box - they have a spilt between north and south, and the role you're doing. If you know you're going north as CAP, pick that channel, if you're going south as ground attack, pick that channel.

 

Its pretty straightforward and listed on the briefing.

 

As such you really only have 3 to worry about - either you're landing or at the north or the south so I wouldnt say thats onerous or flipping up and down at random...

 

SRS will even read out the channel so in VR (as I am) i just use radio up and cycle through until I hear the channel I want - in the example on Combat box it was channel 3 as I was CAP to the north

 

Intercom is exactly that, an intercom - think of what you have on a building with flats. Intercom is for talking to people in the same aircraft or tank

 

In spectators it works for everyone as a lobby channel

 

As I said above, try it. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill now 👍

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Any way to lose line of sight or radio when low behind masking g cover?

Not at the minute, it would require more work from the IL2 devs and from myself. 

 

Worth getting people used to it as a concept too before adding in more complicated features 

 

Maybe something for the future but most of the maps are relative flat so not sure you ever would lose line of sight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ciribob said:

Not at the minute, it would require more work from the IL2 devs and from myself. 

 

Worth getting people used to it as a concept too before adding in more complicated features 

 

Maybe something for the future but most of the maps are relative flat so not sure you ever would lose line of sight?

Kuban valley hills.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes and then maybe one day sicily or the south of italy. 🤞

 

And if we take a hit in the radio, SRS detects it and stops transmitting ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dog1 said:

select intercom is my headphone ? the server says you have to  select the channel number to speak to others depending in which area you are in the mission , is this true ? so if you fly to another area you have to switch again if you remember the channel number and hoping the others do as well seems demanding to me and again when you go back to same area or to other . You'r flipping up and down at random and that distracts you completely from flying if not in windowed mode , if you start depending on this to combine strategy with others it will be utter confusion . 

Just turn on windowed mode and use the overlay -as Therion suggested above it is worth it. As far as I can tell fullscreen and windowed mode no longer has much, if any, performance impact is negligible. Then set a hotkey to turn on/off the overlay, one hotkey to switch channels, and one hotkey for push-to-talk/radio switch. That's all you need. Turn on the overlay, switch the channel to the one you need to be on, then talk to whoever is there. Then you can turn the overlay off if you want to. You really don't need intercom if you aren't flying multicrew aircraft with other players on board, which I have done maybe once or twice in the entire time I have played Il-2. Basically once you are set up its 3 buttons to do everything and its essentially integrated right into the game. It's a much smoother experience than Discord IMO. 

On Combat box, the mission briefing states suggested SRS channels. Just use channel 1 when taking off and landing, then switch to the channel for the target area you are heading to. On most missions you will stay in one target area so on a typical flight you will switch channels twice - once when you leave the airfield area on the way to your target, and once when you get back. Or, if you're like me, IF you get back lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ciribob,

 

I'm a big MP so thank you for SRS! 

 

I'm not having any luck programming the SRS client using my Stream Deck USB device. I checked drivers, etc, but no luck. 

 

The client does recognize and hotkey my CH throttle, stick and Logitech G15 keyboard. Please advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gx007 said:

Hello Ciribob,

 

I'm a big MP so thank you for SRS! 

 

I'm not having any luck programming the SRS client using my Stream Deck USB device. I checked drivers, etc, but no luck. 

 

The client does recognize and hotkey my CH throttle, stick and Logitech G15 keyboard. Please advise.

Streamdeck and G15 are not direct X device. You have to to program them, you can't use the key pressed to use them in SRS.

 

1- Put some Keys in SRS

2- In the streamdeck or G15 program, use the key you use in 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Habu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.2b09d2abf7df8ebd558965358ec95e3f.png

Hello ciribob, first thank you, second last night I launched a game in Coop mode, and we divided by sides, I launched the server myself, and the SRS server.
The problem was that after the flight in the debriefing the companion who had been flying on the enemy side, told me that some of the communications that we made (not all) could hear them ...
This is normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

image.png.2b09d2abf7df8ebd558965358ec95e3f.png

Hello ciribob, first thank you, second last night I launched a game in Coop mode, and we divided by sides, I launched the server myself, and the SRS server.
The problem was that after the flight in the debriefing the companion who had been flying on the enemy side, told me that some of the communications that we made (not all) could hear them ...
This is normal?

 

Depends exactly what time they heard it - with coalition security on - red hear red, blue hears blue, and spectator hears spectator

 

You can check the coalition colour of everyone on the client list - if anyone has the wrong colour (or you were all temporarily in spectators) thats likely why

 

The coalition is exported every second or so out of IL2 so shouldn't get out of sync ever.

 

If you do hear comms - check the client list and let me know what aircraft you were all in

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

@ciribob is it possible to run the SRS server on linux?

Nope, sorry. No plans to either as it's designed to be run alongside the IL2 server on windows

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.0.2


This release adds an Installer and Auto Updater. The installer will automatically add the "telemetry" configuration required for SRS to work with IL-2. Just select the game directory and let it do its thing - no need to edit anything.

 

If you do have issues - follow the first post of this thread for the manual method of editing the startup.cfg

 

Just run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.0.2.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

 

Changelog

  • Added Text to Speech volume slider
  • Added Auto Updater
  • Added Installer with shortcut creation
  • Automatic startup.cfg - will add the lines only if required and deal with jetseat setup correctly

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

 

Please dont forget to support this project too! Details on the link above on how to support 👍

 

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ciribob said:

 New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.0.2


This release adds an Installer and Auto Updater. The installer will automatically add the "telemetry" configuration required for SRS to work with IL-2. Just select the game directory and let it do its thing - no need to edit anything.

 

If you do have issues - follow the first post of this thread for the manual method of editing the startup.cfg

 

Just run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.0.2.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

 

Changelog

  • Added Text to Speech volume slider
  • Added Auto Updater
  • Added Installer

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

 

Please dont forget to support this project too! Details on the link above on how to support 👍

 

 

What happens to already existing telemetry entries in the configuration file, if I install the new version? Will I have this entries twice?

Sorry to ask. But thank you for your great and immersive tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, THERION said:

 

What happens to already existing telemetry entries in the configuration file, if I install the new version? Will I have this entries twice?

Sorry to ask. But thank you for your great and immersive tool.

Nothing, it's intelligent

 

It will sort things if they need sorting, if you have a jetseat it'll add the right lines etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ciribob said:

Nothing, it's intelligent

 

It will sort things if they need sorting, if you have a jetseat it'll add the right lines etc

 

OK, so nothing will happen then, as I did the lines already manually for my jetseat and SRS. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, am unclear about a couple things.

 

Server setup.  I know it says use public ip (I think that is what I would call an external ip), but screen shot shows 127.0.0.1 (local host) in the dserver setup.  Exactly what IP should be in the dserver for a server running SRS?  Local host, external IP, or Internal ip?

 

Client setup:   Pretty much the same question.  

Instructions are as follows:

 

Quote

If you choose to manually enter the SRS server in advance of joining a game server, you'll need to enter the public IP for that server. By default, the port is assumed to be 6002.

 

Enter the IP and port like so 192.168.2.23:6002

 

again, they are using the internal ip of the host as an example but they say public IP.  Normally I would expect the example to say something along of lines of xxx.xx.xx.xx:6002 

 

And I noticed v2 just came out.  Is the server backwards compatable?  If I update the server srs, do all clients have to be updated to the same version?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

ok, am unclear about a couple things.

 

Server setup.  I know it says use public ip (I think that is what I would call an external ip), but screen shot shows 127.0.0.1 (local host) in the dserver setup.  Exactly what IP should be in the dserver for a server running SRS?  Local host, external IP, or Internal ip?

 

Client setup:   Pretty much the same question.  

Instructions are as follows:

 

 

again, they are using the internal ip of the host as an example but they say public IP.  Normally I would expect the example to say something along of lines of xxx.xx.xx.xx:6002 

 

And I noticed v2 just came out.  Is the server backwards compatable?  If I update the server srs, do all clients have to be updated to the same version?

 

 

 

Always use the public ip, or people outside your network can't connect. Your public ip is your external IP . The screenshots don't show public ips as we were just testing internally

 

The only caveat to this is if you host a DServer and SRS on the same network as your pc. You (and only you) may need to use the local ip to connect to the SRS server. All other clients would still use the public / external ip

 

All versions are backwards compatible unless otherwise specified. Currently they are all backwards compatible

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 New IL2-SRS Version - 1.0.1.0


This release adds quite a few new features, and some under the hood changes. The most significant change is Server Owners have the option of enabling a second radio for clients flying on their server and also increasing the number of available channels if desired. The defaults still stay at 1 radio, 1 intercom and 5 channels, but can be changed if desired. I would recommend only doing this once people are comfortable with the defaults.

 

This change has been prompted by a lot of testing with Combat Box - the issue is establishing comms with the team, and having comms with a wingman. Currently people are using a mix of 2 or even 3 tools to do this, adding the second radio and extra channels eliminates this issue entirely.

 

As clients you can see the server settings on the SRS client.

 

To update run the Auto-Updater or download the release zip IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone-1.0.1.0.zip - extract and run the installer.exe

 

This update is backwards compatible but I recommend all servers and clients update to this version

 

This update also adds a nice feature for VR - if you enable the Text to Speech (TTS) you can also bind a button to read out the current state - Radio X selected, Y clients connected and Channel Z tuned. Gives you a nice overview of the status without having to pull off your VR headset 👍

 

Changelog

  • Added second radio - controllable server side. By default 1 as before
  • Added channel control limit to the server - 5 to 25 available. By default 5 as before
  • Added new TTS status read out
  • Bug fix for channel 1 on launch
  • Bug fix with saving TTS volume
  • Servers and clients will need to update to enable the second radio and extra channels
  • New control bindings for the second optional radio

More details and release here: https://github.com/ciribob/IL2-SimpleRadioStandalone/releases/latest

 

Please don't forget to support this project too! Details on the link above on how to support 👍

 

Edited by ciribob
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested out this new 2 radio configuration with my wingman who had the SRS Server running on his machine. We found that when we switched to Radio 1, the overlay showed us communicating on that Radio and I heard it in my left ear, as I have 1 left and 2 right configured. When we switched to Radio 2, the overlay still showed us as using Radio 1 and I still heard the comms in my left ear. Surely, that should have come through in the right ear? However, if I attempt  to transmit while my wingman is transmitting then he does move to Radio 2, which seems strange. Is there any way that the two radios can be separated? Also, would it be possible to set on the server side which clients are able to use the second  radio? My thinking, is to have the Radio 2 used primarily for  flight leaders/squadron leaders within a wing while each squadron uses it's own separate channel on Radio 1.

Also, we could not get the Intercom to function at all. Ideally everyone would be able  to use that on initial connection before moving to their assigned radios and channels.

 

Thank you very much for  your sterling efforts in bringing this improved radio environment to IL-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Vasilich said:

Hi guys! What I need to do with my map to use intercom?

Just select the intercom and transmit - you dont need to do anything with the map? You can also bind any key you like to the intercom

 

4 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Madov said:

I tested out this new 2 radio configuration with my wingman who had the SRS Server running on his machine. We found that when we switched to Radio 1, the overlay showed us communicating on that Radio and I heard it in my left ear, as I have 1 left and 2 right configured. When we switched to Radio 2, the overlay still showed us as using Radio 1 and I still heard the comms in my left ear. Surely, that should have come through in the right ear? However, if I attempt  to transmit while my wingman is transmitting then he does move to Radio 2, which seems strange. Is there any way that the two radios can be separated? Also, would it be possible to set on the server side which clients are able to use the second  radio? My thinking, is to have the Radio 2 used primarily for  flight leaders/squadron leaders within a wing while each squadron uses it's own separate channel on Radio 1.

Also, we could not get the Intercom to function at all. Ideally everyone would be able  to use that on initial connection before moving to their assigned radios and channels.

 

Thank you very much for  your sterling efforts in bringing this improved radio environment to IL-2.

 

If radio 1 and 2 are tuned to the same channel - it'll always come through on radio 1 as thats the first radio that received the transmission

 

Change radio 1 and 2 to different channels and you'll hear them in different ears (if you configured it)

 

Also it only matters what you have your radios tuned to - not what radio its transmitted from if some one transmits on radio 1 channel 1 and you have radio 1 set to channel 2 and radio 1 set to channel 1 - you'll hear it on the second radio as thats what its tuned too.

 

I wouldn't want to configure who has what radio - as that is a lot of admin overhead. The wing could just tune both radios to the same channel (or turn the volume down) in order to not hear the flight lead channel.

 

And you're welcome - glad you like it! 👍

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for your very prompt reply. One more querry - what does the Wrap Radio function option do?

 

There is still the querry about the Intercom, my wingman and I  couldn't get it to work. Both radios both Tx and Rx but nothing on Intercom, but the lights was activating with PTT.

 

Edited by 41Sqn_Madov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ciribob said:

Just select the intercom and transmit - you dont need to do anything with the map? You can also bind any key you like to the intercom

 

 

If radio 1 and 2 are tuned to the same channel - it'll always come through on radio 1 as thats the first radio that received the transmission

 

Change radio 1 and 2 to different channels and you'll hear them in different ears (if you configured it)

 

Also it only matters what you have your radios tuned to - not what radio its transmitted from if some one transmits on radio 1 channel 1 and you have radio 1 set to channel 2 and radio 1 set to channel 1 - you'll hear it on the second radio as thats what its tuned too.

 

I wouldn't want to configure who has what radio - as that is a lot of admin overhead. The wing could just tune both radios to the same channel (or turn the volume down) in order to not hear the flight lead channel.

 

And you're welcome - glad you like it! 👍

 

 

 

 

 

Hi mate,

 

thank you for your great radio tool - it is very immersive and much easier to use than TS or Discord, if you ask me. Now that you enhanced your tool with a second radio,

possibilities are better than even before. Great!

 

Just some input / suggestions (in no way to be considered as criticism!) concerning the key mapping function:

It would be nice to have a toggle button to switch from radio 1 to radio 2 or vice-versa, instead of having to cycle through radio1 - radio2 - intercom. This would

benefit the possibility of having a button to toggle between radio 1 and 2, without going through intercom.

 

I have f. ex. a button to toggle the overlay, then one for the intercom, two buttons to change the channels up and down and one toggle button to switch between

radio 1 and 2, except that at the moment when toggling I have to go through radio 1, radio 2 AND intercom. This way I could manage your tool with only 4 buttons,

which can be crucial on some hotas setups. But it's only an idea from me.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...