"The Kuban Wall" Campaign Released !

After a very very very long time  of developing this campaign I have decided that it is time to share it for free on the forum. Welcome in my world of Il2 in which I am immersed since years now.

With the first campaign posting you will get two missions, and then regularly I will add missions to the campaign. Six additional ones are at the moment in a beta stage and three others in development. I will explain why with already two missions there will be a lot to play. If you succeed with the first two missions when you will add a new mission you will be able to play it (and not start all over again). The system remembers the past successes.

Here under you will find  the links or the downloads for the campaign and its missions.

Please Download the Read Me text first.

BUG CORRECTION!! There was a wrong addressing for the sound media files. It is a pity to play the missions without the sound files that are an important immersive element.

Please redownload the campaign with corrected files.

Here you can Download the corrected The Kuban Wall scripted campaign two first  Missions 00 and 01.

The Wall of Kuban in a nutshell

The Kuban Wall campaign is centered in the Novorossiysk - Gelendzhik region, in summer 1943. 

You are a pilot that became an ace during the battle of Stalingrad and has been sent in the Kuban area that is in dire need of pilots and do your best in stopping the German counter-offensive.

The campaign plays from the west of Kerch to Krasnodar on the south east, and down to Tuapse on the seaside, and inland further south east in the high mountains.

campaign.jpg.2339b6912cfe8ce5662c50500150cec1.jpg

What is the campaign and what is not

It is a scripted campaign which means that the missions have a chronological order, and that to move to the next mission you need to succeed first in the present one.

This campaign is freely inspired from real historical events that took place in that region around that period, and is a fictional scenario that has absolutely no pretention to depict or describe faithfully what really happened. Names of existing persons are mentioned and also of existing events but only to build a consistent fictional scenario and nothing more.

This campaign is not for those that want just a quick missions, fighter combat do the mission and the to the next. All the missions are complete and will last a more realistic time. As I said you have land, air and sea missions. You have always to takeoff and land where you have to for your mission. Otherwise you are free to fly and fight in the missions theater / map. This campaign is for those that love flying and besides the mission objective, can continue flying and fighting in this theater for a long time and discover all what has been implemented. This is why one mission has no time limit, you decide when to stop.

Each mission plays in a world were things happen anyway, you be there or not. The whole map has events happening every where and they happen independently of you. You are immersed in it and have a mission to carry, but even if you succeed in your mission you can continue playing as things continue to be active all around. On your base or friendly bases you have places were you can rearm, refuel, repair and so continue playing as long as you like.

In this campaign missions there is a time and space continuity. I mean that what impacts the map in one mission will be there on a following mission.

Mission difficulty is delicate to define. I count on your feedback on this topic and will adapt increasing or decreasing it with new releases.

Why all this work for free and not try to have a product for sale

There are many reasons for that:

The first and most important one I did not want to have the constraints of a product that is to be made for sale. This means that if someone will pay for it, legitimately he will expect to have a product that not only works "flawlessly" but also that is playable and can run well enough on whatever machine he uses to play IL2 and with the BOX version he has, using the basic planes that come with the game etc. etc. I suppose that if you sell a product you want to maximize the gain and so a vast majority should be able to play if they buy it. As a result you have to go to the bare minimum and do a lot of compromises.

The second as well as important, is that I wanted to do a campaign using all what I have in hand without limitations and push the editor to see if he could handle heavy loads, and I have not seen the limits yet. I wanted also that with the coming next generation graphic cards as well as CPU chips this campaign will profit from this added power. This to say that the missions to play need a very robust system. The map has thousands of objects and will take sometime to load. I get on my system 80/90 fps so it is fine to play but I have a 9900KS at 5 GHZ with 64 GB fast ram and fast SDD drives, and an RTX 2080Ti GPU. To play you also need to have BOS, BOM, BOK, BOBp, and nearly all the collector planes. 

The third is that this campaign is a continuous WIP that I enjoy a lot (I develop more than I fly so I hope you will fly much more than I do) and that I  decided to share with you. I hope to improve things add new missions and not have the missions frozen, but improve them according to the comments and new ideas as they come. I expect also to exchange on this through your posts and comments. I want also as I do this in my spare time, to be free to work on this campaign as I please.

The fourth which is more anectodical here is that to sell a campaign you need to have the validation from Jason and for sure they have their own technical and commercial criteria, and beside that I am not sure Jason in interested anyway, or has much time to spare for this, otherwise he would have facilitated this process for users to sell on the forum.

The campaign and mission release plan

The missions that come with the first campaign release are:

00 - Welcome to Kuban

1699245819_00-WelcometoKuban.jpg.a9693f3faea7b902d66f001248cc03a1.jpg

01 - Know your enemy

458353395_01-KnowyourEnemy.jpg.94a0a5718484e1afc74256761b57ae0d.jpg

The following missions are in advanced beta stage

02 - Stop the Bombers

2067462963_02-StoptheBombers.jpg.b525ba9dfd2d87b5fb739e8c91aba9a7.jpg

03 - Save the convoy

445061997_03-SavetheConvoy.jpg.faf167a126e23c11b90486972532d1f4.jpg

04 - Scramble

965801951_04-Scramble.jpg.898b4e45a1d763b21ece13cedc2e2bc7.jpg

05 - Cut the lifeline

438285573_05-CuttheLifeline.jpg.f79def5c77f9ef1bec09660954e7ea60.jpg

06 - Training (Part1)

239955429_06-Training.png.651493d2b6aac80408707bd7e659bd3e.png

07 - For your eyes only (Part2)

1072548917_07-ForYourEyesOnly.png.886da314fdcddbdb8766e675584309d8.png

08 - Hit and run

2124403426_08-HitandRun.png.187453d649ced16f9985fc034a9a3734.png

Three additional missions are already in development, which will cover also a night mission, and one with large bomber formations (as you know I have some good training for it 🙂 ).

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Wonderful! :clapping:

What kind of planes will be flying?

I hope you include the collector Plane Yak 9, so I have a good extra reason to buy it/them.

Yes the Yak 9 is one of the planes you will fly.

6 minutes ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

I am guessing this is for the 109 and you later switch to a 190 (06 - Training (Part1))????

Mission 06 and 07 are two parts of one mission. You did not guess it right, but no spoiler here. Just do not forget that you are a soviet pilot in all this campaign.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am a fan already - sounds right up my street. As much as I want to get more involved in the multiplayer side of the game (I'm still learning to fly, really...!), I do like to just be told where to go and what to do from time to time when I'm feeling a little lazy - and who doesn't like to follow along and maybe lose yourself with a bit of a story once in a while - that's why I love these scripted campaigns...! and sometimes, you know - I just like to fly...!

I, for one, appreciate the time and effort that has obviously been put into this and I hope that people can be professional in their feedback upon its release - constructive criticism rather than gripes and moans...!

I look forward to realising your vision (If I can ony find out which one of these damned knobs starts this god-forsaken plane - DAMNIT...!)

Well done. :salute:

13 hours ago, Thaddeus_Darwin said:

I am a fan already - sounds right up my street. As much as I want to get more involved in the multiplayer side of the game (I'm still learning to fly, really...!), I do like to just be told where to go and what to do from time to time when I'm feeling a little lazy - and who doesn't like to follow along and maybe lose yourself with a bit of a story once in a while - that's why I love these scripted campaigns...! and sometimes, you know - I just like to fly...!

I, for one, appreciate the time and effort that has obviously been put into this and I hope that people can be professional in their feedback upon its release - constructive criticism rather than gripes and moans...!

I look forward to realising your vision (If I can ony find out which one of these damned knobs starts this god-forsaken plane - DAMNIT...!)

Well done. :salute:

You should appreciate what is coming 🙂 

Except one custom skin which I made for the B25 with the red star that you will receive with the corresponding mission, all others are default.

It is complicated to use skins made by skinners as I may need to get an approval for each one. 

14 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

Except one custom skin which I made for the B25 with the red star that you will receive with the corresponding mission, all others are default.

It is complicated to use skins made by skinners as I may need to get an approval for each one. 

Ok. Sad to hear that. With so many skinners out here, I´m sure you could get the skins needed in no time. Maybe I will swap the skins by hand after the campaign release or I leave your campaign out this time. Sorry, no offence here. I appreciate your work! But since a long time I wont play with those cloned generic skins anymore. This throws me every time out of the immersion. (but this my very personal point of view 😉)

Anyway, wish you luck with your work!

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Ok. Sad to hear that. With so many skinners out here, I´m sure you could get the skins needed in no time. Maybe I will swap the skins by hand after the campaign release or I leave your campaign out this time. Sorry, no offence here. I appreciate your work! But since a long time I wont play with those cloned generic skins anymore. This throws me every time out of the immersion. (but this my very personal point of view 😉)

Anyway, wish you luck with your work!

Cheers.

Interesting, but can you tell me what would be the skins you would like to have. I perfectly understand your point and the visual immersion is for sure an important element. Yes there are a lot of skins out there, but choosing and which one is best for the storyline is a difficult choice. We must not forget that even if some planes were particularly decorated thousands had as you say cloned standard skins. Many pilots had a plane assigned for the mission. Having its dedicated plane was already an exception.

As you all know 4.008 has been released, I downloaded it and now starting tests to ensure the missions are compatible. A lot of goodies here.

I still expect to release by this Friday if there are no particular issues with this new release. This new version should improve visually things. As I have IL2 bombing missions all default skins are now 4K. 

Edited by IckyATLAS
On 7/6/2020 at 7:46 AM, IckyATLAS said:

Yes the Yak 9 is one of the planes you will fly.

Mission 06 and 07 are two parts of one mission. You did not guess it right, but no spoiler here. Just do not forget that you are a soviet pilot in all this campaign.

Does this mean that one can't fly German planes at all?

CAMPAIGN V 1.0 RELEASED !!! 😄  

Missions 00 and 01 are out for you to play.

As promised after a week of final tests here is the scripted campaigne released.

I hope you enjoy it and have fun.

Check on top post of this topic.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

IckyATLAS,

I've downloaded your campaign; however, when I attempted to play the first mission, it ran very slowly.  Any idea what might be the cause as other campaigns I've installed have run fine?

Falcon

1 hour ago, Falcon41 said:

IckyATLAS,

I've downloaded your campaign; however, when I attempted to play the first mission, it ran very slowly.  Any idea what might be the cause as other campaigns I've installed have run fine?

Falcon

Same with me, my FPS stays around 40-50 but the Yak-9 flys like an A-20 lol  it's like the world is running at half speed, it's probably more activity than my system can handle, all other campaigns have been fine.

Yep, I've got the slowdown too.  🙁  FPS at 80 and the Yak-9 at walking pace. We've had this occasionally flying PWCG co-ops as well. My guess would be the number of objects on the map, but it's just a guess.

Edited by 216th_Cat

I found a bug in the sound file addressing of the media translators. The missions can be played but you will not get the speech sounds and communication sound files which are a very important immersion element. 

Please reload the campaign (see first post) to have the two missions properly corrected.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

IckyATLAS,

I guess I spoke too soon, for after downloading the corrected missions I found that they still ran very slowly and had the messages in them that you thought had caused the slowdown.  You might want to re-examine the file you corrected to determine if the sound elements are still included leading to the slowness of the mission.  Sorry to complain as I understand just how difficult it is to get a mission just right in the ME.  I'm building one myself at the moment and it takes a great deal of patience.  

Falcon

The Slowdown effect is caused by too many objects with complex AI (aircraft, playable tanks). Especially aircraft with several crew positions have a huge impact. When the CPU is unable to cope, the game will slow down, even when the GPU isn't having any problems and the FPS are still fine.

In my campaigns I usually try to have not more than 25 aircraft active at the same time to keep the missions playable for people with older CPUs. If necessary additonal aircraft groups can the activated later, when some planes have been shot down or landed.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Juri_JS said:

The Slowdown effect is caused by too many objects with complex AI (aircraft, playable tanks). Especially aircraft with several crew positions have a huge impact. When the CPU is unable to cope, the game will slow down, even when the GPU isn't having any problems and the FPS are still fine.

In my campaigns I usually try to have not more than 25 aircraft active at the same time to keep the missions playable for people with older CPUs. If necessary additonal aircraft groups can the activated later, when some planes have been shot down or landed.

Slow down, or Time Dilation (TD) is something we've been testing extensively, and it's not so simple to get a handle on unfortunately.

In other words, it doesn't come down to just too many aircraft, or too many tanks. I've had time dilation creep in with a very small number of aircraft, say only Four A-20's,(each it's own flight) but with 3 to 4 of them engaging their attack logic at once TD creeps in, or with just a handful of AA guns/searchlights in combination with these few aircraft.

Map also plays a part it seems. I'm having to be concerned with TD with FAR fewer units active on the Rhineland map than with the Kuban map.

TD is not an issue with my "Havoc" campaign at all despite a very large number of active aircraft and vehicles. On the Rhineland map however TD creeps in at a far smaller number of units, and it's not always consistent/not predictable.

I thought of this issue when Icky said "I still haven't found the limit" with regard to the editor. The limit becomes is very apparent indeed.

Bottom line, you have to be economical and building all the way to the extent of your 'vision' is just not possible in many cases.

Gambit is right when he says that the number of aircraft flown is not always the first TD culprit. Finding the exact cause that is the cause of the slow down is difficult, and there can be may reasons combined. This campaign tries to have a theater where you have Land, Air and Sea action that happens independently of your mission as in real life. This means you have ships, trains, convoys, planes all alive across the map. It is an ambitious target lot to handle but that was part of the initial objective and really a challenge. 

Now to be fair I did not try to reach the limits at editor level, it is simply that I did not encounter them  as I was developing the campaign. 

In my system I run between 80-90 FPS, with everything set to ULTRA or MAX and in 4K  3820x2160. Antialising is MSAA. This is my reference, which I agree is totally subjective and personal.

I know that many systems out there will have problems to handle this campaign and I have mentioned it in the initial post. New hardware will probably cope better over time and I hope too that Jason will improve the speed of his simulator.

I have not made a TD analysis at the moment, but I will do and see how it handles in my system and post results. I have some ideas to improve TD on Mission 00, but it has to be tested.

This is a WIP Campaign and all your comments are warmly welcomed.

• Like 1

Having 80 or 90fps does not mean anything. The weird thing with the time delay is you can be in varying degrees of slow motion, perhaps not even noticing it, while still having high frame rates. Hosting Coops I have seen two different behaviours on overload: The"normal" one: You get the server overload message, tick delay in the server application goes up and sps down, the game stutters for the clients. The time delatation thing is different: There may be an initial server overload message, but it goes away. However the slow motion stays, but its smooth, not stuttering. And the really surprising thing is the tick delay staying at 25 or below, and the sps maintaining 50. Perhaps sometimes some slowdown mechanism kicks in, which prevents stutter, but causes slow motion?

4 hours ago, FaQgo_show said:

Why is the campaign locked under scripted campaigns?

Click it then continue button and it'll tell you why, you may need to buy a plane

Edited by WM_KMS
44 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Is there a list of planes needed for this campaign? I don't have all of the collector planes.

I see that I have not put the list in the ReadMe text. Will be done by tomorrow, but most of the collector planes are needed.

• Thanks 2