The next 3 collector planes .... 2021

50 minutes ago, Pict said:

I though as much, but figured that it might pull the wings off. Incidentally, was the elephant also intended as a payload to be collected after the bungee launch in a sort of perpetual motion great egg race fashion :) 

Sadly, the elephant was a little reluctant to cooperate. Perpetual motion was still possible though, using this technique pioneered by the yanks back in the 1920s:

782px-Refueling,_1923.jpg

The top aircraft refuels the bottom one, and then they swap places, thereby ensuring that at least one of them always has a full tank.  You could keep it up for days. 😉

On 7/4/2020 at 9:04 PM, Oliver88 said:

If I could choose three that would fit into current announced and released battles then;

Seafire L.III and Seafire F.III

These fit into the Battle of Normandy module as there was three fighter squadrons from the Fleet Air Arm equipped with these and taking part in the invasion from shore bases. The type was also used in the BPF/BEF so scratches that itch for the OP. It's Fleet Air Arm so scratches the itch I've got also.

Avenger I and Avenger II

Again these would fit into the Battle of Normandy module as there were three squadrons from the Fleet Air Arm equipped with these and taking part in the invasion from shore bases. The type was also used in the BPF/BEF (and yankee fleets) so scratches that itch for the OP. It's Fleet Air Arm so scratches the itch I've got also. Also you would be nuts not want to experience some torpedo bombing in the sim.

Airco DH.4

Because the Entente could do with an aircraft with a decent bombsight. It's also another RNAS aircraft and one that I loved in Rise of Flight. Continued to be used into 1918 so it is not out of place among the current plane set.

I completely agree with that list. Bringing in some carrier fighters early also given them the opportunity to get some of the carrier related work funded and done prior to embarking on an expansion with a heavy naval presence. 

Though, if we could find any Marlets that were also operational during that frame, they could also be a handy swap-out for the Seafire. Either, or both would be very nice.

Edited by Voyager
Double post for the win...
5 hours ago, Voyager said:

Though, if we could find any Marlets that were also operational during that frame, they could also be a handy swap-out for the Seafire. Either, or both would be very nice.

I've written about this before as others have suggested them before. But for squadrons that operated in the map area and time that the module covers (808, 819, 848, 854, 855, 885, 886 and 897 Squadrons) you are in essence restricted to these types;

• Seafire L.III
  • Seafire F.III
  • Spitfire L.Vb
  • Swordfish I
  • Swordfish III
  • Avenger I
  • Avenger II 

There were carriers and squadrons using the Martlet and Hellcat that were supporting the invasion (shown as receiving the battle honour) but these were quite some distance outside the area that the module is giving us. Emperor, Pursuer and Tracker were in the South West Approaches and had on them Hellcats (800 and 804 Squadrons) and Martlets (881 and 896 Squadrons maybe 846 Squadron also) and Avengers (846 Squadron). There are other squadrons (816, 838, 849, 850) that also gained the battle honour but during the invasion these were for most part just using some of the same aircraft as in the above bullet list and based outside the modules proposed map area.

Data gained from The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm through seeing what ships and squadrons were given Normandy for Battle Honours. And cross referencing listed bases with the modules proposed map area. Is a chance I've missed something though.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Thanks 1

Given the possibilities arising out of the upcoming Normandy Map:

Semi-serious:

"Lost Butcher Birds" bundle:

- Fw 190A-1

- Fw 190A-2

- Fw 190A-4

"Lost Spitfires" bundle:

- Spitfire FL VB

- Spitfire IX "early"

- Spitfire XII

On a slightly more serious note:

1)"Dieppe"

- Fw 190A-2 (maybe an A-4, but those just started delivery in August '42)

- Mustang I, IA and II

- Spitfire IX "early" and Spitfire LF VB

2) "Achtung Jabos!" Package

- Spitfire XII

- Fw 190A-4

- early Typhoon Ib with a three-bladed prop and the car-door

3) "The Yankees are coming!"

- P-38F/G/H (only the H was used in-theater starting in september '43; F and G were used in the MTO, though)

- P-47D (lower block numbers, maybe -5, -15, -20)

- A-36 (only used in the MTO, but fun nonetheless)

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Given the possibilities arising out of the upcoming Normandy Map

1)"Dieppe"

- Mustang I, IA and II

You have to have to have the Do217 here - everything else can be 'approximated' from what we have or are getting. I'd love to see a full, accurate, Dieppe planeset though. One hell of a day's aerial combat in a very tight location. 👍

Edited by 216th_Cat
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

I'd love to see a full, accurate, Dieppe planeset though. One hell of a day's aerial combat in a very tight location.

I'd rather not fix it to a single day's fighting, but the whole timeframe (summer of '69 42 to summer of '43), so one can do more than just playing Operation Jubilee over and over again.

Other than that, I agree - a whole plane-set would be fun. And it doesn't stop there: There could be bomber-Mossies and especially in Normandy, recce/ tac recce missions would be very interesting!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Given the possibilities arising out of the upcoming Normandy Map:

Semi-serious:

"Lost Butcher Birds" bundle:

- Fw 190A-1

- Fw 190A-2

- Fw 190A-4

"Lost Spitfires" bundle:

- Spitfire FL VB

- Spitfire IX "early"

- Spitfire XII

On a slightly more serious note:

1)"Dieppe"

- Mustang I, IA and II

2) "Achtung Jabos!" Package

- Spitfire XII

- Fw 190A-4

- early Typhoon Ib with a three-bladed prop and the car-door

3) "The Yankees are coming!"

- P-38F/G/H (only the H was used in-theater starting in september '43; F and G were used in the MTO, though)

- P-47D (lower block numbers, maybe -5, -15, -20)

- A-36 (only used in the MTO, but fun nonetheless)

Make all of them and then add a "Channel Front" map by merging parts of the BOBP and parts of the BON map and take my 80€

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Would love to see the A-26 invader come in, in some form. Would be amusing if they put in the Martlet or Hellcat Mk.1 seeing as the FAA operated a small number on D-Day, could be a way to give a little Pacific taster. I'll also cast in my vote with the I-153 and Ju-87B that others have mentioned. HS-129B-3 would be cool, but doubt it will come any time soon as none of our current theaters fit it I believe. 

Edited by migmadmarine
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, migmadmarine said:

Would love to see the A-26 invader come in, in some form. Would be amusing if they put in the Martlet or Hellcat Mk.1 seeing as the FAA operated a small number on D-Day, could be a way to give a little Pacific taster. I'll also cast in my vote with the I-153 and Ju-87B that others have mentioned. HS-129B-3 would be cool, but doubt it will come any time soon as none of our current theaters fit it I believe. 

And where do you imagine being able to use these Martlets and Hellcats?

The Fleet Air Arm was operating Martlets and Hellcats in support of the invasion. But these were not in the area that we are being given. They remained in the South Western Approaches.

To include thier area of operations you would need to move the map so far west that Normandy would have to be excluded from Battle of Normandy or stretch the map to over double the width. I guess you could ask for a small map of just ocean to use them on. Not sure that would see much use, with no other opposition but enemy submarines.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9f668c83b44a013f3944afad9a2f9ca.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.281d44bcf6ab8ebbe57c432cea9a5ee4.jpeg

If you want some naval aircraft that were used in both Neptune and Pacific to give you a taste of the latter then I believe you should be asking for Seafires and Avengers. But you would be using them from shore bases for Battle of Normandy.

Edited by Oliver88

I also believe aerial reconnaissance would be a welcome addition in the form of a mission mechanic, modifications to existing aircraft and of course the addition of new aircraft to the game. In particular, I’d advocate for the Spitfire PR.XI, as it served with 2TAF and the USAAF, as arguably one of the more famous WW2 recon aircraft. 

On 8/4/2020 at 5:39 PM, Tritsch said:

Dewoitine 520 would great to recreate the battle of France when we will get the new France map. 

79751975_2471621359745838_4091795792208068608_o.jpg

Would probably be best left for a full Battle of France Expansion though.

Since there are no other aircraft of that timeframe in the game.

(No 109E-1,E-3,E-4,Bf-110C and no Ju-87B,Do-17 etc)

So far Collectors aircraft have primarily been aircraft that can be fitted into current scenarios (Both Map wise and amongst the existing aircraft).

Though i would love to have a Battle of France Expansion centered on the 1940 invasion.

But until then we now have the D.520 in Clod (Its part of the Desert Wings Expansion)

and its a fun little aircraft. (and It can ofc also be flown over France on the old Clod map)

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

NONE. We need to conserve planes for more modules, unless we want map only modules in the future.

Well, yes and no... 

Yes, they do need planes for more modules in the future and they need to be completely mindful of that.

But no, in the sense that all collector planes have pretty much been done to enhance already produced modules (and not be extremely "required" planes) - and also generate sales. So in that vein, some of the suggestions in this thread do really work too.

Edited by Redwo1f
2 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

NONE. We need to conserve planes for more modules, unless we want map only modules in the future.

Depends on what aircraft and type, there are quite some aircraft that we will never see included in an new module.

Aircraft like the Fw190A9 and Bf109G10 are needed for an late eastern front release while aircraft like the Gloster Meteor can't be used on different modules that we don't have already and aircraft like the LaGG3-66 will very unlikely be part of an new module because it's unlikely to go for that map/time period or better options of aircraft are available.

There are also plenty of medium bombers they can still do without harming future modules like the Tu2 for Kuban (Tu2S for late war), Do217 and Ju188 for Normandy, A20, B25, B26 and A26 for Normandy and/or Bodenplatte of which some can have several variants as seperate releases (A20 for example Boston III and A20G).

There are also many recon/transport options still left open like the Fw189, Westland Lysander, Piper Cub, C47, that will never be included in the standard package of modules (An flyable C47 was for example not included in Normandy).

Edited by ww2fighter20