Draconus Battle Grounds--Extensive Modding/General Chat

Hello everyone this is going to be a thread that i will post extensive modding stuff mainly for TC since im a tank guy but will cover other games as well

I currently have TC,Stalingrad,Kuban and Moscow so modding will be for those games but anything talked about on here will work on the other games i dont have as well

and moddifications can be loaded in using jsgme mod loader which im sure people are familar with

This engine can be pushed alot more which ive begun doing in various aspects including redone textures using Quixel mega scanned stuff that i have a subscription for on my unreal 4 dev work and improved grass and tree stuff and improved effects across the board

ive also improved ssao,ssr(screen space reflections)forest quality which was set really low on engine side and ton of other stuff which ill go into detail on this thread...

as some have noticed game will stutter on some maps figured out what is causing that along with the last new issue in last update were tanks will float slightly on some maps(god i hope they fix that in next update,kinda stupid what the problem is)....

ill go into what both of these are as well and anything else bug wise 

This is the kind of weather i want to bring to IL2 TC...this is done real time in the world with real time lighting projection on a game called Mudrunner ...it even affects ground viscosity mud gets sloppier ect and has 7 underlying systems to it including a real time storm front that moves in the sky which lighting will project from ...this is on simular level with Simuls Tru Sky plugin for unreal 4 i mentioned devs should get with Simul and integrate there plugin into there engine for this...love to get in touch with the devs on this and see if i can get involved to bring the some new features to the game engine itself and TC and the other games

This weather was R&D over a 4 year time period and there was no weather in Mudrunner nor Spintires at time dev didnt know how to do it properly...its lua scripted based with xml coding for particle files and custom textures i did for it...sounds i also did custom for the weather...i have skills in various game creation areas including art skills

Currently Spintires The offical game on steam which i was involved with last year resurrecting has the weather offical in it through deal i did with oovee on it...

The St engine is built off Havok so its a physic based engine which was very cool to work on and the absolute best for truck simulation offroad

Know this vid shows the testing UI that was created to test all the varous systems while you played...this included wind direction and force the weather had a real time wind system in it that would affect everything including particles coming off the vehicles...just to show some of the stuff ive done and this would make TC epic.....

Last vid i did a snow build too have to dig to find those vids on my dev page some time...

Currently Arma 3 uses Tru Sky as well but this is vid showing weather and cloud simulation using Tru Sky....

Edited by Draconus
  • Like 2

Hey everyone been busy like crazy all week wanted to get on here sooner but havent had the time .....

So im going to do couple write ups what can actually be messed with in Tank crew...first well start with basics and how to unpack the archives game has in GTP format

There is a tool on the il 2 forums i found thatl unpack all of them into a (null) folder so you simply go in there will be sub folders in same files structure as ones in game directory

you will also need JSGME mod loader to load the mod in that you are going to create...i do not recommend modding the game directly always create a mod and use the mod loader to laod the mod into game .....simple example were gona do for this example mod ...

So first here is the il 2 gtp unpacker tool,place this into game directory drag/drop a gtp file over it to unpack it ...little window will pop up showing file being unpacked into (null)folder which will be sitting at top of the game directory....

IL-2 GTP Unpacker Zip

----------------------------------

unGTP-IL2.zip

Here is example pic of how tool works when its unpacks the files ...

1.jpg

Know here is JSGME Mod Loader which you will also need to mod game properly

Dowload and place both jsgme files in game directory and start the mod loader ...a new folder will pop up in game directory called MODS...this is were all mods will be placed to load into game

JSGME-Mod-Loader Zip

JSGME-Mod-Loader.zip

Know for this example were are going to create a simple mod called Graphic Improvements

Go into MODS folder and create this folder...know back out to main game directory and find the scripts.gtp...drag it down to unpacker exe and itl unpack ...once done scrool above to top youl see the (null) folder

Look in folder there will be luascripts folder....cut that and place into folder you created....Rename luascripts to LuaScripts so itl load into main lua scripts folder found in game directory

open up the folder youl see this

2.jpg

Know look for gpresets file and open it up using word pad ,notepad or c++ note pad(what i use ;) )

Youl scroll down to preset 3 if you own high end system and select highest graphic preset

its looks like this different stock values though which we will get into here

3.jpg

Edited by Draconus

Know the ones your gona be changing are 

----------------------------------------------------------

Shadow_Quality

Shadows_Dynamic -stock is 2 can be set to 3 possibly higher havent looked into it further yet but 3 looks great if it does go higher i wouldnt due to it being hardware hit its also higher number -higher resolution for shadow map why the performance hit 

Forest_Quality -Stock this is set at 1 can be set to 7 again quality of all forest materials and higher resolution of them

better distance rendering as well with more LODS being used

Post_Motion_Samples-This can be reduced to increase performance for those who dont like Motion Blur to stuff which while in motion...Its default is 24 samples 8 looks fine as well I have mine set at 16 for own prefrence

SSAO_Samples-Increasing this to value of 64 samples really makes objects looks great as it increases the SSAO quality overall with more samples being used

SSR-Screen Space Reflections -setting this at 48 was just right without impacting performance to much.....people can adjust this higher if they wish who have even pc systems...this is all mirrors and water reflections,puddle reflections and snow light reflection on snow surface when sun hits it at angle

Save the file then load it into game.....simple first mod to show how its done....i will get into particle effect improvements next as people can see in the above pic there is effect samples line at bottom this is multiplier and why its set at 1...there are individual effects files all having there own settings,4 main folders of them which ill cover in next modding discussion here

we will also cover graphic improvements as well for terrain objects ect

I will also look into new engine lines that can be used in above gpresets to control other aspects of the graphics so this will be updated in near future the discussion above ;)

So people most likely have all noticed the bloody stuttering on maps....i have looked into this a bit and norrowed down the problem

with a little work around to get stuttering to go away

So bug deals with camera and the Hud system itself ...the Hud does not have to be on screen can be disabled and game will still stutter till you hit H to 

hide the Hud on map start...

Know ive found that if you screw with it turn the Hud on and off the stuttering will go away with Hud being on and displayed in bottom right hand corner...

Devs need to look into there Cam setup and locate the problem and finally fix it...from what i heard game will do it even in the planes so even then screwing with the Hud turn it on and off on game start will usually fix it...

They did fix it looks like the floating track problem on some maps that dealt with certain terrain types...tanks didnt float on roads for example but go off the road onto terrain suddenly tank would lift up a slight bit like it was floating on ground and from what i could tell the terrain collision was off... 

Edited by Draconus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So some thought on a better damage system i have to look how to get in touch with the devs this is a killer idea i have using the tank mesh vertices to create a hole litterly through the armour itself

One thing i noticed the damage system looks really good with battle damage ect but no real holes in the tanks form the AP rounds going through them ...like they would in real life...

So idea i have is for the devs to simply use the tank mesh vertices there called and as the tank round hits the tank itl deform the vertices in that specific area on mesh creating a roundish hole ...this can be done on penetration of round and exit out other side creating this real effect round just went through the entire tank which it did...this also needs to be done on the enemy tanks you knock out...they litterly show no surface damage what so ever just knocked out tank i even had them knocked out and they were still running with engine sounds...sit there shoot them couple times then they blow up...the damage can be much better in this and aspect i mentionend above with actual armour penetration of round

• Upvote 3

This is some great work you are doing🤓

I tried this out...looks great , very nice.  Should the graphics card setting be changed in any way  ie;  NVIDIA settings   maybe change to  application controlled for everything?

Edited by SMARTAZZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying your mod right now...I'm really curious to see how it works...report will follow soon..In the meanwhile thank you very much for have done and shared this tool! ;) S!

Test Results: WoW that's indeed an amazing work! Mod running like a charm and no lag to report even with the HUD on. Brilliant work mate, my sincere compliments! 

Edited by SKG_210_Belial
  • Upvote 1
On 7/11/2020 at 6:44 PM, SMARTAZZ said:

This is some great work you are doing🤓

I tried this out...looks great , very nice.  Should the graphics card setting be changed in any way  ie;  NVIDIA settings   maybe change to  application controlled for everything?

Thanks,ill do some more posts when i have time been swamped with dev  work on unreal 4 project...a tank warefare sim with emphasis on the destruction/combat side using Chaos destruction  system setup ....cant get into more details ;)

No vid card can be left as is.....

On 7/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, 352ndOscar said:

Please note, if you are using the gpresets from the Clouds mod, you will want to probably make changes to THAT file as it contains modified settings already.

Well clouds mod most likely is one line at bottom in all the pre-sets for cloud samples...if you have hi end system then preset 3 is what you use in game moddifying that section only..there default is 64 so if you raise it say 96 it will take more harder hit on hardware so you aware of this...Why would you care about the clouds anyways when your on the ground in a tank?i dont even bother with it for that very reason...

In plane that is different and raising that will make then nicer more volume ect...

On 7/24/2020 at 6:10 AM, SKG_210_Belial said:

Trying your mod right now...I'm really curious to see how it works...report will follow soon..In the meanwhile thank you very much for have done and shared this tool! ;) S!

Test Results: WoW that's indeed an amazing work! Mod running like a charm and no lag to report even with the HUD on. Brilliant work mate, my sincere compliments! 

Thanks ill post more stuff that can be heavily moddifided and how to do it on here soon been swamped with unreal 4 dev work i been doing...im also going to cover AI stuff and texture improvements(im might do this myself a mod with new stuff done, theres alot that can be improved ;) )

Know so everyone knows any files you mod always check them remember what files your messing with as each new game update comes out youl want to go over what youve done make sure nothing has to be updated to new stuff...keeping mods updated is key with this game like any game that allows extensive modding other wise you will end up having issues using old out dated files ect...

If anyone needs PS(Photo Shop) for texture editing just ask i have dev copy from the devs themselves ill be willing to share with others...

comes with nvidia dds exporter too installed

Edited by Draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Draconus said:

If anyone needs PS(Photo Shop) for texture editing just ask i have dev copy from the devs themselves ill be willing to share with others...

I'm accustomed to work with other editing program but if you have it available I would like to try it, if you are so kind to share it. S!

9 minutes ago, SKG_210_Belial said:

I'm accustomed to work with other editing program but if you have it available I would like to try it, if you are so kind to share it. S!

Sure Np give me some time to find it on my g drive ill send ya link ;)

• Like 1

Thanks again for your efforts.  I have been playing with the settings on the card to see what looks the best.👍

2 hours ago, Draconus said:

Thanks,ill do some more posts when i have time been swamped with dev  work on unreal 4 project...a tank warefare sim with emphasis on the destruction/combat side using Chaos destruction  system setup ....cant get into more details ;)

No vid card can be left as is.....

Well clouds mod most likely is one line at bottom in all the pre-sets for cloud samples...if you have hi end system then preset 3 is what you use in game moddifying that section only..there default is 64 so if you raise it say 96 it will take more harder hit on hardware so you aware of this...Why would you care about the clouds anyways when your on the ground in a tank?i dont even bother with it for that very reason...

In plane that is different and raising that will make then nicer more volume ect...

Thanks ill post more stuff that can be heavily moddifided and how to do it on here soon been swamped with unreal 4 dev work i been doing...im also going to cover AI stuff and texture improvements(im might do this myself a mod with new stuff done, theres alot that can be improved ;) )

Know so everyone knows any files you mod always check them remember what files your messing with as each new game update comes out youl want to go over what youve done make sure nothing has to be updated to new stuff...keeping mods updated is key with this game like any game that allows extensive modding other wise you will end up having issues using old out dated files ect...

A small thing noted, trying to help you in fixing the eventual issues of this mod:

In the path \LuaScripts\worldobjects\mapemitters it seems you forget to add the string named " ImageAttr=128 " so in your current mod the smokes are not fixed and they tend to vanish when looked from certain view angles.

As sample here is how the files should be written ( I've used the " ammoexplosion " file for this example; The small  " error " is present in all your mapemitters files ).

If you think is the case I've already edited all the files of interest just give me a shout and I'll provide you a link where to download them. ;)

Class_name = "CStaticEmitter"
object_name = "trash"

//////    PhysicsBody properties
VisualImage=0,"graphics\effects\Surf\AmmoExplosion.epl",false
visualradius=50

ImageAttr=128

duration=10.33
range=0,1
loop=false

destroy_pause=0.1

Edited by SKG_210_Belial
  • 7 months later...

This is the absolute kick .. I only hope you are working on it! ..What fantastic effects .. the people from Warthunder will run to us! :new_russian:

• Like 1