Discussion of IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - Tobruk Announcement

5 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Absolutely true. :) - especially considering forward thinking.

...but still holding true is cost/benefit, capability and capacity, return on investment, and all of what I mentioned above too

(...plus the fact that considering market segment at this very moment in time, VR users are in need of games/sims that utilize it rather then the other way around - you need them more than they need you (at least for now) - they carry the "bat" sort-of-speak, not the other way around) -- and I am not saying there can't be a mutually beneficial solution for both parties either, though.

Even though it might violate certain laws of nature and commerce, let's remember that some flight sims do in fact have a VR mode. How did that happen?

1 hour ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

Reading these comments about VR on this forward it is  perfect ad for not getting VR any time soon. Not only is it full of issues, it is like an highly addictive drug. 

Like TIR had been or even joysticks. Flight sims could be made with keyboard control only - but wouldn't you miss something?

If VR was a promise - I'd consider buying at launch. With VR being a maybe - I'll wait for implementation before buying a product I'll simply never use.

Would you buy if TIR compatibility was a maybe?

Would you buy if joystick support was a maybe?

I guess most of us have some kind hardware that - if not supported - make a purchase unlikely

2 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Even though it might violate certain laws of nature and commerce, let's remember that some flight sims do in fact have a VR mode. How did that happen?

And the sea was parted, and Moses carefully but confidently proceeded, VR headset firmly affixed, lol. 

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Like TIR had been or even joysticks. Flight sims could be made with keyboard control only - but wouldn't you miss something?

If VR was a promise - I'd consider buying at launch. With VR being a maybe - I'll wait for implementation before buying a product I'll simply never use.

Would you buy if TIR compatibility was a maybe?

Would you buy if joystick support was a maybe?

I guess most of us have some kind hardware that - if not supported - make a purchase unlikely

When I first starting playing Rise of Flight, I used a mouse. I was perfectly fine. I read it was a better experience with a stick, so I bought a stick. A stick is a better experience and there isn't any drawbacks compared to the mouse. I do not have a TIR, I use a mouse to look around. Having TIR means you could use a throttle. Technically, you could use a throttle without it, but it would require a lot of hand movements. It is doable. The difference here is no one who has a TIR would cry if the TIR goes down that they can't play at all. That is something that VR users say, not TIR users. VR is a newer technology that is still being developed. Problems is going to persist for some time. Expectations are pretty high. I do not need to consider your questions at all because these technology are already standard and can be implemented with ease. Moreover, people can do without TIR with little or no inconvenience. I am not saying not to buy, but based on what I have read, you are not getting my sympathy. No offense, but I can look upon your issues with a sense of caution and indifferent amusement. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

. The difference here is no one who has a TIR would cry if the TIR goes down that they can't play at all. That is something that VR users say, not TIR users. VR is a newer technology that is still being developed. Problems is going to persist for some time. Expectations are pretty high. I do not need to consider your questions at all because these technology are already standard and can be implemented with ease. Moreover, people can do without TIR with little or no inconvenience. 

Lol lots😃

22 hours ago, Hoots said:

Finally got round to checking the video on the steam page and pretty much the first shot is an AI aircraft with the rudder full over. To many I'm sure this is nothing but I just can't get past how wrong it looks. I thought they were working on fixing this. Other than that it looks like a good job so it's a shame that this little thing has been allowed to go unfixed.

Was there any Rivets in the wrong Spot ?..Were the Markings for the Squadron Wrong ?  Was the Antenna 10mm Longer than it should have been ? Were the Tyres  the wrong Shade of Black  ? .............SOME TRIVIAL things dont measure up to Your High Standards..

11 minutes ago, jaydee said:

Was there any Rivets in the wrong Spot ?..Were the Markings for the Squadron Wrong ?  Was the Antenna 10mm Longer than it should have been ? Were the Tyres  the wrong Shade of Black  ? .............SOME TRIVIAL things dont measure up to Your High Standards..

Like I said "to many I'm sure it's nothing", so to you it's nothing, thanks for confirming. But to me an aircraft not reacting correctly to a fully displaced control surface is hardly trivial, or the same as a misplaced rivet. An odd response but thanks for your input.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

When I first starting playing Rise of Flight, I used a mouse. I was perfectly fine. I read it was a better experience with a stick, so I bought a stick. A stick is a better experience and there isn't any drawbacks compared to the mouse. I do not have a TIR, I use a mouse to look around. Having TIR means you could use a throttle. Technically, you could use a throttle without it, but it would require a lot of hand movements. It is doable. The difference here is no one who has a TIR would cry if the TIR goes down that they can't play at all. That is something that VR users say, not TIR users. VR is a newer technology that is still being developed. Problems is going to persist for some time. Expectations are pretty high. I do not need to consider your questions at all because these technology are already standard and can be implemented with ease. Moreover, people can do without TIR with little or no inconvenience. I am not saying not to buy, but based on what I have read, you are not getting my sympathy. No offense, but I can look upon your issues with a sense of caution and indifferent amusement. 

It's your choice if you want to live in the technological dark ages - many of us don't. Some are also determined to argue anything and everything. Usually to try and show everyone how clever they think they are.

7 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

And the sea was parted, and Moses carefully but confidently proceeded, VR headset firmly affixed, lol. 

Makes sense(?). Also, if it's all about bean counting where did TF 4.312 come from?

Edited by Dagwoodyt

Well I've picked up a book in second hand shop that appears to cover wellingtons in the desert, so hopefully that might get my anticipation peaked again, and push me online to fly it of necessary.

Edited by John_Yossarian
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

Reading these comments about VR on this forward it is  perfect ad for not getting VR any time soon. Not only is it full of issues, it is like an highly addictive drug. 

I agree.

IL-2 BoX/GBs wasn't perfect itself as even it didn't have VR when BoM was released; VR came in March 2017 when the devs were developing their 3rd Installment, so cut the aggravation against TFS, alright.

These games that have VR when they're first released means that the developers had the time to write the code in for VR, but with some other games, things more important than VR take priority. I'm sure that Jason and the devs could have added VR sooner than they did, but they had more important things to add into the game than VR. On the bright side it did come. 

Just like it will for the IL-2 Dover series.

For these people who are No VR = No Buy:

Then buy the game when it comes out and then just play the game later. 

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I agree.

IL-2 BoX/GBs wasn't perfect itself as even it didn't have VR when BoM was released; VR came in March 2017 when the devs were developing their 3rd Installment, so cut the aggravation against TFS, alright.

These games that have VR when they're first released means that the developers had the time to write the code in for VR, but with some other games, things more important than VR take priority. I'm sure that Jason and the devs could have added VR sooner than they did, but they had more important things to add into the game than VR. On the bright side it did come. 

Just like it will for the IL-2 Dover series.

For these people who are No VR = No Buy:

Then buy the game when it comes out and then just play the game later. 

Cheers.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:43 AM, von_Tom said:

VR does not appear to be guaranteed.  Best to treat it as a "maybe".

von Tom

How much later?

mixed messaging destined to repeat ad infinitum

Edited by Dagwoodyt

Because there is no guarantee that VR is coming to Desert Wings, so until TFS announces that Desert Wings is VR compatible, I will continue to spend my money on products that are VR compatible. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Čím dřív to vydáte (TFS 5.0) tím míň budou rýpalové a kritici urážet Vaši práci, nechápu jejich urážky a jak můžou kritizovat něco co ještě nevyšlo, to umí pouze blbec. My stojíme za Vámi a oceňujeme Vaši práci bravo TFS 5.0   addon Tobruk , už se moc těšíme až to vyjde a budeme moci se kochat Váším výtvorem.

The sooner you release it (TFS 5.0), the less diggers and critics will insult your work, I don't understand their insults, and how they can criticize something that hasn't yet been published, only a jerk can do that. We stand behind you and appreciate your work bravo TFS 5.0 addon Tobruk, we are really looking forward to it coming out and we will be able to enjoy your creation.

Edited by Buffo002
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Team Fusion have already said if the Tobruk module is successful they will do VR, unfortunately that requires the module to sell well, here we are though with the very people who want VR saying they will not buy until it is there.:rolleyes:

Now just supposing all us single players with no TIR or VR decide we do not want to support the project because the VR crowd are so selfish, where to then.:lol:

Sitting on the fence and just waiting for your own favoured thing to be added will not get anything done, all that happens then is what might have been a very promising project will flounder due to lack of support.;)

Just think if all us founders for the GB series had said we will not buy in until this and that was added to our liking, we would not be where we are now, think about that guys, there is nothing for free in gaming it takes dedication and money to bring things on and even now I still have no beloved Finnish front but I enjoy what is there when I am able.:drinks:

Playing without your shinny toys is not game breaking, you can still fly with a flat screen and mouse, this particular neanderthal still plays 1946 and enjoys it, W.T.F.:crazy:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
4 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Makes sense(?). 

Goodness, just a light hearted joke. Sorry - just seeing tensions starting to rise regarding VR again. My mood has been :) 

My final  word on the matter is simply this IN GENERAL (not at any particular poster) can be summed up in two words:

Perspective

Entitlement

Edited by Redwo1f
1 hour ago, Dagwoodyt said:

How much later?

mixed messaging destined to repeat ad infinitum

Pretty sure its now well estblished that Tobruk needs to sell well in order for any work to be done on VR.  So since sales cannot be predicted no one can say at this time if it will or wont.  Not sure thats mixed messagaing but i am sure that you are the expert on repeating things ad infintium. 

1 hour ago, US103_Hall said:

So the VR crowd is selfish for not buying a game they cant enjoy on their VR headsets???

Well...

I could stop buying BoX releases because I'm frustrated that all the development seems to be for MP rather than tackling what matters to me - lacklustre SP offering and inferior flight experience? 

Happy to do that, but then you lose as well.

I'd rather keep investing in the hope that we all get what we want, eventually.

Edited by marcost
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, US103_Hall said:

Because there is no guarantee that VR is coming to Desert Wings, so until TFS announces that Desert Wings is VR compatible, I will continue to spend my money on products that are VR compatible. 

The  "Hey..no VR?...NO BUY" crowd in a nutshell.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Edited by Semor76
1 hour ago, Missionbug said:

Team Fusion have already said if the Tobruk module is successful they will do VR, unfortunately that requires the module to sell well, here we are though with the very people who want VR saying they will not buy until it is there.:rolleyes:

Now just supposing all us single players with no TIR or VR decide we do not want to support the project because the VR crowd are so selfish, where to then.:lol:

Sitting on the fence and just waiting for your own favoured thing to be added will not get anything done, all that happens then is what might have been a very promising project will flounder due to lack of support.;)

Just think if all us founders for the GB series had said we will not buy in until this and that was added to our liking, we would not be where we are now, think about that guys, there is nothing for free in gaming it takes dedication and money to bring things on and even now I still have no beloved Finnish front but I enjoy what is there when I am able.:drinks:

Playing without your shinny toys is not game breaking, you can still fly with a flat screen and mouse, this particular neanderthal still plays 1946 and enjoys it, W.T.F.:crazy:

Take care and be safe.

Pete, you’ve basically laid out the problem - VR users are being asked to take a seventy bucks gamble.  If it does not sell then VR users have wasted their money. Of course it might sell more than enough copies to enable them to carry on. However, do we really know if such a small part time team might be able to deliver VR within six months or six years? Again, VR users are effectively being asked - some seem to even demand - a $70 gamble. I’m not sure if I see any selfishness or entitlement in this.  

• Upvote 6
27 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Pete, you’ve basically laid out the problem - VR users are being asked to take a seventy bucks gamble.  If it does not sell then VR users have wasted their money. Of course it might sell more than enough copies to enable them to carry on. However, do we really know if such a small part time team might be able to deliver VR within six months or six years? Again, VR users are effectively being asked - some seem to even demand - a $70 gamble. I’m not sure if I see any selfishness or entitlement in this.  

? I guess I am lost - where do they (developers) say that they are promising VR?????? -- I believe they said maybe - and I think that is an honest answer. It will probably depend on a lot of things. And some posters are pointing out that if the title in itself fails to sell, there will be ZERO chance of VR (and that is very reasonable to assume as well).

-- and I guess a logical counterpoint could also be that the very purchase of VR (or ANY peripheral for that matter)  is in a sense a gamble. You hope it gets widely used, you hope it gets supported, you hope there are sims and games that are available for you to use it - you might win, you might lose.

and just clarifying the two word point I tried to make earlier:

Perspective (it is a growing market gaining rapidly, but it is still a very small  segment of the market)

Entitlement (some people act as though software developers have to construct and support whatever peripheral a person happens to owns as like it is their right  - they do not) 

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TWO OPTIONS

1. You buy the game and increase the chances of VR being added

or

2. You don't buy the game and decrease the chances of VR being added at all and any future development of the series.

Salute.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

blinded by VR 😁

Edited by Livai
43 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

We are all being asked to take that gamble on a product put out by a very talented team of part timers, not just the VR crowd, that is what I was pointing out, however, the rest of us are not constantly saying we will not buy in until our precious little bit is included, if we all decide not to get involved then there is no future for this or any product in the aviation genre.;)

If someone does not want to get involved then fine, just leave us be and go do their own thing, those of us that are interested will try to help bring forward this and hopefully the next DLC in this and the GB series, we know they want VR, the team has said they will try to add it when they can.:drinks:

I could understand if for some technical reason the game could not be played at all, this can but for the moment purely in the time honoured way until the opportunity  can be found to add anything further, that means anyone interested in this genre has to take that chance, there is no other way unless some individual or company steps in and provides the money, simple as.

Take care and be safe.

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Perspective (it is a growing market gaining rapidly, but it is still a very small  segment of the market)

Entitlement (some people act as though software developers have to construct and support whatever peripheral a person happens to owns as like it is their right  - they do not) 

I don't get the fuss - if the VR segment is so small, that it doesn't matter, then why are people bothered if these insignificant few don't spent their money on a product they won't use?

I don't believe Team Fusion owns anyone a VR mode - I find it a personal pitty that I won't be able to fully enjoy this sim. And as I have a terrific alternative with BoX I'll stay there until I can use my hardware with this sim as well.

If VR was a solid promise I might consider getting it at release and wait for implementation - but since implementation depends upon commercial success I'll at least wait for the announcement that VR it was successfull enough for VR implimentation...

And again - if VR users are such a meaningless segment it wouldn't be a problem if all VR users did the same (which they propably wont)

6 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

We are all being asked to take that gamble on a product put out by a very talented team of part timers, not just the VR crowd, that is what I was pointing out

That so? So what "maybe feature" has to be implemented before you'll actually play COD:DW, that nevertheless doesn't stop you from making this gamble?

7 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I don't get the fuss - if the VR segment is so small, that it doesn't matter, then why are people bothered if these insignificant few don't spent their money on a product they won't use?

I don't believe Team Fusion owns anyone a VR mode - I find it a personal pitty that I won't be able to fully enjoy this sim. And as I have a terrific alternative with BoX I'll stay there until I can use my hardware with this sim as well.

If VR was a solid promise I might consider getting it at release and wait for implementation - but since implementation depends upon commercial success I'll at least wait for the announcement that VR it was successfull enough for VR implimentation...

And again - if VR users are such a meaningless segment it wouldn't be a problem if all VR users did the same (which they propably wont)

Nope, don't misunderstand -- I never said they don't matter. I mentioned a "growing market segment gaining rapidly." It is simply a matter of the "now" versus a possible/probable(?) future. Forward thinking to develop for this segment - but at the same time, the right-here-right-now of this market segment isn't big enough to dictate to software developers what they have to do. And you are right, I am not arguing against the notion that you put up that the numbers aren't significant enough to put up any major significant clout at this very point in time. -- if people who will only play games that have VR support simply refuse to buy, then yes, I agree, this isn't going to be a MAJOR significance on the title, I don't think. -- but also since the whole genre is a "niche" market in general, the small added numbers could mean a break even or a loss (and it is that I don't know at all given the title). Also, the notion of won't buy because... could also be shooting oneself in the foot...or it may not...idk.

I am not saying you have to buy it. I am not saying you don't have to buy it. I don't know if I am or not. Bottom line is it is your choice. But everyone should understand the possible ramifications of their choices - be they positive or negative either way.

:)

S! 

Buys a hefty gaming  rig for over 2k of moolah and a VR doodah without blinking an eye, but investing some 60 moolah into a sim is wasting money. The peasant 2D users should bow before the VR overlords. 

Not even MS2020 is getting VR support out of the box. And we are talking about a company that has a budget in a totally another level plus resources in abundance. Compare that to what TFS or BoX crews have. 

VR might be the thing in the future, but now it is a mere toy for a small group that can actually buy and enjoy it. Yes, VR is immersive when you have a rig that can REALLY run it in all of it's glory at 90fps or more, not with reduced and blurry graphics.. But that costs a lot and an average gamer can not shell out that much money. The average joe gets a game and pitifully plays it on 2D flat screen. 

I am saving for VR as it is finally getting there from pixel mush to actually being an enjoyable experience. Until then I can happily play any sim on a puny 2D screen :P

• Like 5
  • Upvote 6
51 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Buys a hefty gaming  rig for over 2k of moolah and a VR doodah without blinking an eye, but investing some 60 moolah into a sim is wasting money. The peasant 2D users should bow before the VR overlords. 

Not even MS2020 is getting VR support out of the box. And we are talking about a company that has a budget in a totally another level plus resources in abundance. Compare that to what TFS or BoX crews have. 

VR might be the thing in the future, but now it is a mere toy for a small group that can actually buy and enjoy it. Yes, VR is immersive when you have a rig that can REALLY run it in all of it's glory at 90fps or more, not with reduced and blurry graphics.. But that costs a lot and an average gamer can not shell out that much money. The average joe gets a game and pitifully plays it on 2D flat screen. 

I am saving for VR as it is finally getting there from pixel mush to actually being an enjoyable experience. Until then I can happily play any sim on a puny 2D screen :P

What a completely bizarre post:scratch_one-s_head:

2 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

? I guess I am lost - where do they (developers) say that they are promising VR?????? -- I believe they said maybe - and I think that is an honest answer.

So maybe VR?  Oh dear.  I was under the impression it was a commitment.

Edited by DD_Arthur
4 hours ago, US103_Hall said:

So the VR crowd is selfish for not buying a game they cant enjoy on their VR headsets???

Selfish nahhhh but please stay away from CLOD no deal, I'm old school I come from looking around with my mouse in my left hand, advanced to TIR 3 I think, then TIR 5 now, pls do call me and we go 1 vs 1 somewhere of your choice, you can use your beloved VR ofcourse and I my flatscreen and we'll see who had most fun when we are done 🙂 we can even post our experience here if you like, that would be very unselfish if you ask me.

@4thFG_Cpt_D_S_Gentile WTF does that have to do with anything?

I've just skimmed through this entire thread again and a majority of VR users seem to be pretty excited for this...me included. Most of us are waiting to purchase this the second we know we can use it...end of story. No whining, No blackmail or anything else we are being accused of. How dare we voice our eagerness to buy their product right?

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, JD_LincsUK said:

It's your choice if you want to live in the technological dark ages - many of us don't. Some are also determined to argue anything and everything. Usually to try and show everyone how clever they think they are.

LMAO, have you read some of the issues VR users are having? I wouldn't exactly call it a viable alternative yet. I rather live in what is great now than what will be great years from now. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

TWO OPTIONS

1. You buy the game and increase the chances of VR being added

or

2. You don't buy the game and decrease the chances of VR being added at all and any future development of the series.

Salute.

You are not addressing the possibility that buying or not buying TF 5.0 might bear no relationship whatsoever to the chances of a VR implementation.

• Upvote 1

Look:

1. VR is expensive and time-consuming to add to an old game engine. There is no way they will be able to properly add it before release. That is a fact. Filling every single thread with complaints about VR requiring months of work isn't going to cause it to happen.

2. The team has stated that it is a priority post-release to try to add VR. This will happen if the publisher approves continued development of the sim (and that obviously depends on sales). So, not sabotaging the release will increase your chances of getting VR.

3. You obviously don't have to purchase the sim. If you can't enjoy a flight-sim that doesn't have VR... if VR means that much to you... it wouldn't make sense to purchase the sim, after-all. If VR gets added, you might then buy it.

4. That said, I've flown flight sims for 25 years without VR... it is possible. Most users still aren't using VR and are capable of enjoying the sim. So, it might still be worthwhile... especially as this sim is going to be so unique. But no one is saying you have to support development by buying it.

See point 1. again.

P.S. I am not affiliated with the developer or publisher. I am getting tired of every thread having comments about VR... and every conversation being interrupted though! Especially as... well, see point 1. again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Two kinds of (VR) user: those who use it, and those who have yet to have the right experience.

Having said that, just because a sim doesn't have VR, doesn't mean it's not worth having.  I've played and enjoyed Cliffs of Dover.  Supporting this team is a given for me.  The intention to add support for VR asap has been stated by the team, and I believe they will do it.

If I were a betting man, I'd suggest it might be similar issues to what made it a pain to play in 3d, back in the day.  That and adding VR to a title this far into the engine's development has proven to be a challenge for this same team in the past.  Makes me think it might not be as simple as I've even stated.  

They are finished the content it seems, or are very close to it.  Why wait to release it if it's done?  I think they've earned a purchase for the content itself.  Besides, if the install base of Blitz is large enough, the expansion will have a good chance of selling now, and giving this team a cash injection they could probably use at this point.  

More blah blah from me.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Semor76 said:

The  "Hey..no VR?...NO BUY" crowd in a nutshell.

Star Citizen teaches us that a fool and his money are soon parted.

10 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

As a VR player I was pleasantly surprised that I could still enjoy CloD on screen, but since I never had TrackIR looking around and maintaining situational awareness does get frustrating. The main reason I don't play much CloD is because the MP servers are dead.

With that in mind I allowed myself to get very excited about Tobruk because there are some things this engine does very well in my opinion, and the plane set is unique and includes things I really want to fly.

So I'm not that diehard VR that I would boycot Tobruk without it BUT... when I saw the price my excitement died. If this patch brings back significant population to CloD/Tobruk Multiplayer, then eventually I will buy it, but only on sale. I would be happy to fly it on screen, but I would only get it full price if/when VR comes. That's just my cut-off for it.

Edited by =X51=VC_
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

--video--

Did you notice at 0:13, the altimeter and the airspeed indicator variations during explosions ...
Would the shock wave pressure variations be modeled ? 😲

It certainly is a cool effect.

But I'm more impressed by a post in this thread that's not part of the VR argument.

I don't think anyone is obligated to buy the game. I don't think anyone is "owed" VR support either. It would be nice to have. But if you don't want to buy the game, don't. If you do want to buy the game (I sure do, the planeset and map are really interesting), then buy it. Simple.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2