Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Discussion of IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - Tobruk Announcement

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

 

Please go for the C.200 if possible!

 

Personally, I like the P-35 inspired Re 2000 Falco  better -- and would LOVE that! But each to their own. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cool! But not Cool! Just when my school starts back up. 

 

IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk, the latest addition to the long-standing and critically acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series of Aerial Combat Simulators is set to release on August 6th, 2020 at 5pm GMT via Steam and other digital platforms!! Pre-orders will be available starting on July 30th via the official IL-2 Sturmovik store https://il2sturmovik.com/ with a 15% discount for those who want to opt-in first!

 

 

I posted this without realizing that Jason had made an official post here

 

 

Edited by [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks everyone for the very valuable input. I too love the reggianes!

There is actually another scenario I completely forgot about, but Regia Aeronautica obtained around 70 x D.520's. 161st Gruppo Cacciatore Autonomo was moved into Calabria in late 1942/early 43 and composed mostly of D.520's (to replenish lost Mc.202's, so operated as a mixed wing). While they never saw direct service in Africa, it's reasonable to assume they participated in convoy missions/operations over the Mediterranean sea, as they were based in southern tip of Italy mainland. A possible air-start scenario over the sea to the north for campaigns could be RA Dewotaines! I will try to find more info on this
 

2.jpg

3.jpg

dev520_istres1943.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Re. 2000 had an unremarkable service in the Regia Aeronautica as only less than 30-40 of them ever served (the bulk of the production was exported), and mainly fron the mainland/Sicily.

 

On the other hand the MC.200 was the second most important single engine fighter in the North African (and others) theatre and it's inclusion is almost a must to fully flesh out the Regia Aeronautica in the battles of 1942 above the desert (hopefully along an SM 79...)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, [=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther said:

IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – Tobruk, the latest addition to the long-standing and critically acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series of Aerial Combat Simulators is set to release on August 6th, 2020 at 5pm GMT via Steam and other digital platforms!! Pre-orders will be available starting on July 30th via the official IL-2 Sturmovik store https://il2sturmovik.com/ with a 15% discount for those who want to opt-in first!

 

 

Hum,  announced on the 23rd,  per order the 30th,  release on August 6th, the famous or infamous "2 Weeks for sure"....;) Oh my credit card is so ready.  Great job Team Fusion.:yahoo:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will we see more videos released on YT leading to DW release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Will we see more videos released on YT leading to DW release?

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/141-screenshots-and-videos/

 

 

 

Maybe another video or two floating around at this point - go have a look.  Screenshots are there as well.

Keep your eyes on the video/screenshot forum above.

:)

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S! 

 

One day until pre-order 😄 I am sooo ready to buy Tobruk :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scheduel for tomorrow:

 

- get up

- coffee

- pre order

 

cant wait to get the Ju88 C and Beaufighter😎

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S! 

 

Propably will order while coffee is put on 😄 Spreading the word, quite a few squaddies very keen on Tobruk. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, easterling77 said:

Scheduel for tomorrow:

 

- get up

- coffee

- pre order

 

cant wait to get the Ju88 C and Beaufighter😎

Done👍

 

and noticed in the same situation, there is Hell Hawks on pre order.....also done😁

good start for the day

Edited by easterling77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in too ... couldn't resist; totally @ATAG_Pattle 's fault, he's just been far toooo enthusiastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if they've added support for more dx-buttons per device in Tobruk? In CloD there seems to be max 32 buttons, whereas IL-2 BoX has 64 buttons?

 

My throttle console (Kanttorin Kone) has 110+ buttons/states and while you can map those quite nicely to 64 buttons, it is very hard to get a good working profile with only 32. DCS is so far only one I know that supports all of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

S!

 

@Hanu This has been asked and hopefully addressed in the future. Cliffs has so many controls in it but no real support to use them. DCS has the best button/axis support and interface IMO as you can map each plane individually. But TFS is aware of this, so let´s keep thumbs up this will be worked on :)

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

 

@Hanu This has been asked and hopefully addressed in the future. Cliffs has so many controls in it but no real support to use them. DCS has the best button/axis support and interface IMO as you can map each plane individually. But TFS is aware of this, so let´s keep thumbs up this will be worked on :)

 

It's been years since they (Box-Clod) are aware of this problem. They don't care. You'd better keep your thumb down !

Madcop 😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Madcop said:

You'd better keep your thumb down !

Just flew 2 missions in Tobruk ... my thumb is up !

Congrats TF !

This 'DLC' is worth much more than the 50 EURO I paid.

I am glad one of my favourite sims got this treatment after all this time.

OK, the core of the sim does not seem/feel to be changed a lot, neither is the UI (IMHO is a bit unfortunate) but I like what I see.

Now back to business ...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S! 

 

Sim runs smoothly, no stuttering etc. Navigation is a challenge, but I like that! Thanks to TFS! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just fired it up, immediately jumped into the Kittyhawk - what a difference! Feels like a real fighter! Thanks a lot, Team Fusion! You've done a fantastic job!

P.S.: I hope to fly a Thunderbolt in CloD one day😉

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

 

Sim runs smoothly, no

Indeed Flanker... This is no DCS... Clod Tobruk seems wel optimized... It was like that and still is with Tobruk as well! Incredible how fast missions load... It does not require as many GB as again... DCS does. I did not experience stuttering either (not yet, SP that is). 

Tobruk seems to be another great gem in my flightsim collection! 

Thanks TF! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

Just fired it up, immediately jumped into the Kittyhawk - what a difference! Feels like a real fighter! Thanks a lot, Team Fusion! You've done a fantastic job!

P.S.: I hope to fly a Thunderbolt in CloD one day😉

Don't forget to take only a combat load of fuel... i.e.  don't let the loadout numbers go red... they should stay black.

 

I believe combat load is approx. 79% fuel.... the rear, behind the seat tank was not filled for short range missions.

 

This is also particularly the case with the Dewoitine D.520..... it had wing 'Ferry' tanks which were normally not filled... they were not self sealing.

 

So the D.520 should only load 62% fuel... at 62% fuel it is carrying more fuel than a Spitfire or 109E at 100%.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Install went fine, running ok,  controls stayed ok.

However I seem unable to drop bombs from beaufighter 1c. External view shows I am carrying them. Even dropping using direct keyboard keys(ie non hotas) no drop. Tried jettison control, nope bombs still attached. Now maybe there is no jettison, but appears unable to drop them at all (these are 250lbs not tried 500lb). Also tried arm/disarm but no indication this is even available. Cannot see any controls in front or rear seat to drop/setup bombs so do not think I am doing anything daft. Will try another plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

Install went fine, running ok,  controls stayed ok.

However I seem unable to drop bombs from beaufighter 1c. External view shows I am carrying them. Even dropping using direct keyboard keys(ie non hotas) no drop. Tried jettison control, nope bombs still attached. Now maybe there is no jettison, but appears unable to drop them at all (these are 250lbs not tried 500lb). Also tried arm/disarm but no indication this is even available. Cannot see any controls in front or rear seat to drop/setup bombs so do not think I am doing anything daft. Will try another plane.

Thanks for the comment Stickz... the problem you mention with the Beau bombs turned up during the Beta, but we thought it was eliminated.

 

Can you contact me via PM and send me your email... what we need is a track file recording this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, simfan2015 said:

Indeed Flanker... This is no DCS... Clod Tobruk seems wel optimized... It was like that and still is with Tobruk as well! Incredible how fast missions load... It does not require as many GB as again... DCS does. I did not experience stuttering either (not yet, SP that is). 

Tobruk seems to be another great gem in my flightsim collection! 

Thanks TF! 

Of course it’s going to run fine. The graphics are massively outdated, you’re flying over a yellow carpet and the sim doesn’t include the all encompassing VR mechanics. How on earth can you compare this to DCS which has complex scenery, VR inclusion and everything else.

Its like comparing a gaming ready PC to a ZX Spectrum. 

 

Edited by GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not comparing it against dcs as a whole, only the system requirements of both products. My pc can run tobruk rather smoothly, dcs less so. There is another thing tobruk and dcs share tough... These are primarily study sims. MP : tobruk can handle many planes and other objects without too much slowdown... DCS?

BTW... DCS World engine is also outdated in many ways... Maybe not for too long, but still at this time is using code of 15 years ago... Just like tobruk. But I fully agree... DCS is still marvelous... No question about it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk said:

Of course it’s going to run fine. The graphics are massively outdated, you’re flying over a yellow carpet and the sim doesn’t include the all encompassing VR mechanics. How on earth can you compare this to DCS which has complex scenery, VR inclusion and everything else.

Its like comparing a gaming ready PC to a ZX Soectrum. 

 

While I am sure you enjoy DCS and while that company does produce a good product... it is quite limited in many ways.

 

Lets be objective.

 

Even before DCS upgraded its graphics, it never had comparable multiplayer.  It simply isn't in the same league as the CLIFFS OF DOVER system.

 

We will be improving our graphics in the near future and the performance will still be there.

 

DCS struggles with more than 20 players, BLITZ and TOBRUK can handle 100.... we have had 160 players online in tests with framerates still quite good.

 

DCS cannot handle multi-position aircraft... that is why their B-17 is not flyable.  TF could build a B-17 or B-24 and have dozens of them online at the same time. (might see one in future)

 

TOBRUK has more complex damage system by far...  DCS still lags considerably behind the standard in what it provides.

 

DCS maps are nice to look at, but where are all the ships and objects for their Normandy map?  The game simply can't handle them.

 

So yes, the DCS maps are nice.... but can they provide the massive online experience many players want?   No.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't know because I don't fly multiplayer anymore ... much preferring to build personalised and complex single player & co-op missions and flying them in a sublime map with drop dead gorgeous graphics, in the all important and insanely immersive medium of VR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GSHWK_Houndstone_Hawk said:

I wouldn't know because I don't fly multiplayer anymore ... much preferring to build personalised and complex single player & co-op missions and flying them in a sublime map with drop dead gorgeous graphics, in the all important and insanely immersive medium of VR.

 

I can understand your point about VR, I tried it once and was impressive: really close to be on a real plane.

That's why I hope TF will find sources for add it as soon as possible, then a lot of others players will join Afrika.

 

Not so much the one about multiplayer: could be fun to fly single and co-op missions, especially if they are well designed... But you are still playing against an AI that basically has two problems -> could be too good or could be too bad.

 

What I love in CLoD is the possibility to have a lot of AI as "background" while two groups of human are using their brain to fight eachothers.

 

We organised a really fun campaign on BOX, that had just two limitations: limited number of players and AI absence.

Hope Afrika can help us to solve this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

While I am sure you enjoy DCS and while that company does produce a good product... it is quite limited in many ways.

Lets be objective.

Even before DCS upgraded its graphics, it never had comparable multiplayer.  It simply isn't in the same league as the CLIFFS OF DOVER system.

We will be improving our graphics in the near future and the performance will still be there.

DCS struggles with more than 20 players, BLITZ and TOBRUK can handle 100.... we have had 160 players online in tests with framerates still quite good.

DCS cannot handle multi-position aircraft... that is why their B-17 is not flyable.  TF could build a B-17 or B-24 and have dozens of them online at the same time. (might see one in future)

TOBRUK has more complex damage system by far...  DCS still lags considerably behind the standard in what it provides.

DCS maps are nice to look at, but where are all the ships and objects for their Normandy map?  The game simply can't handle them.

So yes, the DCS maps are nice.... but can they provide the massive online experience many players want?   No.

 

I bought TOBRUK to honor TF's work. Even if I'm not satisfied with the result, I don't regret it. But the module has too many shortcomings: crashes, unstable periphery HW recognition, mediocre FM and DM, poor map and at best average graphics. I personally find comparing you to DCS as presumptuous. To make it clear, I'm only a part-time DCS player and, like the majority of simers, exclusively SP. You boast about the MP capabilities of CoD. What does that really mean? Do you want build your business model on a small minority (MP) on an already limited niche market of simulation enthusiasts (SP + MP together)? I wonder if such a model can make money to keep investing. DCS has doubled their then already sizeable customer base in the past three years. They are now announcing massive investments in WW II simulation and in a multi-threading graphic engine. DCS has, in particular, served SP customers well and that is now paying off.

For your reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhpwuAGqstc

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grancesc said:

 

... mediocre FM and DM,

 

Mediocre DM in COD !!! 😅

What dishonesty !! 🥺

Gransesc, your objectivity is exemplary for sure 😂

The Damage Model is probably the best quality in COD/DWT, far beyond the other sims.

 

2 hours ago, Grancesc said:

 

... like the majority of simers, exclusively SP.

 

Are you sure, how do you know this ?

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have the right to dislike the work that Team Fusion does.

The only advice I can give you is not to play with this simulator, there are no unpleasant surprises, it was announced that the VR would not be implemented immediately. In addition, Team Fusion published many videos that showed us the final rendering of the game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying that the FM on this game is mediocre doesn't make any sense...For real...

 

My opinion. 😬

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grancesc said:

They are now announcing massive investments in WW II simulation and in a multi-threading graphic engine. DCS has, in particular, served SP customers well and that is now paying off.

We all hope so ... but recent developments do not really point in that direction ... yet anyway.

I do love DCS too ... but AFAIK that does not mean I can no longer see the good and strong points and advantages of a.o. the 1C sims GB and CloD.

The TF efforts are genuine and should be applauded.

What was initially a community became so much more ... 1C seems to think so too !

BTW IMHO the CloD Tobruk DM and FM are remarkable ... at least as good as other flightsims. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Grancesc said:

CloD mediocre FM and DM
...
DCS are now announcing massive investments in WW II simulation

DCS ww2 DM is still work in progress, because their damage model was designed for jets, missiles and modern Jet's high caliber guns. Obviously a ww2 simulator require much more detailed and sofisticated damage model than a huge fireball or a random damage generator.

If and when they release their new DM engine, then you can compare the results, but currently the CloD/BoS series is far far superior than DCS ww2 DM.

Edited by VO101Tom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even from SP perspective, DCS falls flat on its face compared to CloD, and I say it as mostly DCS player. I do notice strong points of CloD here: massively higher unit count possible in a mission without serious performance impact, AI that actually makes sense, superior damage modelling. Even if DCS catches up soon in the third factor, it will still lag behind in the first 2 ones.

 

I wouldn't mind some extra polishing being done on Tobruk map textures, though and I'm glad to read there are plans to do so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, totally agree about CloD performances vs DCS.

IMHO, CloD has the best compromise between graphical quality, FPS, Flight Model, Damage Model, number of planes, units managment capability, multiplayer capabilty, mission editor, campaign possibility, etc, etc...

For me, the best homogeneity of all WW2 simulators.

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Art-J said:

I do notice strong points of CloD here: massively higher unit count possible in a mission without serious performance impact

Actually, this is intentional. We don't wanted to add details which is visible only from very close, or use insanely high poly number which looks good only on screenshots, in the meantime the netcode (every animation, movable parts require netcone sync between players) and PC requirement would suffer. The smooth gameplay is our first priority, the screenshots and videos is the second. In the same time we wanted to keep the consistent look with all original Aircrafts too. By the way the new Aircrafts and cockpits use different modelling methods, which is better for VR.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...