kotori87

How to record VR videos without the split-eye effect

Ahoy there! I've been playing Flying Circus in VR for a while now, and recently decided I wanted to post some of my missions from the Pat Wilson Campaign Generator to Youtube. I couldn't find much info about that on this forum, but I did find some excellent YouTube videos describing the general procedures, software, and method to take the output directly from your VR goggles and turn it into something viewable on YouTube. Here is my first video:

The basic idea is to use OBS Studio with the OpenVR plugin to directly record the video for one of your eyes, before the distortion is applied for viewing through the lens.

OBS Studio: https://obsproject.com/

OpenVR plugin: https://github.com/baffler/OBS-OpenVR-Input-Plugin/releases

Here is the guide I followed to set it all up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCJtQMHZ4w

One issue I encountered was which drive I saved the videos to. I initially had the output set to my 8TB RAID array, due to the large filesize (about 1gb per minute). This didn't work for some reason, and the whole video would be jerky and unsteady. When I set the output to my main SSD, however, the videos came out buttery smooth. I have no idea why the difference, but all I have to do is transfer the completed file over to my storage drive once it's complete.

• Like 1

Brilliant video and wonderful to see the Smothers brothers are still going!:salute:

You can also just use the ingame flight recorder to grab your track, then use Shadowplay (*Nvidea) or its AMD equivalent and replay the track using all the cameras that come in game while recording it again with Shadowplay...(or AMD equivalent).

Then simply edit the bits you want with video editing program.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 11:51 PM, TWC_Sp00k said:

You can also just use the ingame flight recorder to grab your track, then use Shadowplay (*Nvidea) or its AMD equivalent and replay the track using all the cameras that come in game while recording it again with Shadowplay...(or AMD equivalent).

Then simply edit the bits you want with video editing program.

How do you access and turn on the ingame flight recorder?  I'm pretty new and while I'm getting somewhat better I still end up chasing the red arrow around and around often while it just moves around the sides of my screen. 😔

I think I could learn a lot by watching what was going on when I try to do a mission.

The ingame recorder is in your keymapper. (Mines mapped to the throttle to turn on and off so cant remember the default)

There is also a program called TacView you can use. (Thread around here somewhere on it) This is excellent to determine positioning and tactical success with the flight dynamics you employ whether flying online or offline

Also hardly, is when recording from your ingame track file in Shadowplay (Nvidea) SP also allows you to record the last few minutes (5 min?) in the event you forget to record with it.  So even though you didnt push record and then end up in a dogfight and wish you had *usually the ones you win*. You can keymap it to capture those last 5 minutes and it will get it all, so you never miss the good stuff.

Then as stated, run it though a video editor (theres free ones about good enough to do the job), edit out the rubbish stuff and now you have a movie.

* Not being lazy, just on IPad so cant access the keymapper*

TACVIEW info

https://www.tacview.net/product/about/en/

You can also learn quickly by joining a Squadron if you want to dabble in multiplayer.  Many will teach you tips, tricks And tactics and additionally provide you support when you need it most both online and offline.  Mine is the best, but if your willing to settle for less, there are others almost as helpful ;)

OBS take lots of resources. I given up on it..

• Confused 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, martinlb said:

How do you access and turn on the ingame flight recorder?  I'm pretty new and while I'm getting somewhat better I still end up chasing the red arrow around and around often while it just moves around the sides of my screen. 😔

I think I could learn a lot by watching what was going on when I try to do a mission.

I think its ctrl - R default theres also a really good app that auto records for you so you don't have to remember to start recording again when it reaches a limit here

On 10/27/2020 at 10:45 PM, GOZR said:

OBS take lots of resources. I given up on it..

I find the best way is use the in game flight recorder in vr then when you record your video with shadowplay, turn on all graphics settings to max resolution  go into the flight records ingame select the flight you want to record for youtube or whatever and then you have access to all the different in game cameras so you can fly in vr at a lower resolution for performance and film in max resolution the caveats are it wont work for streaming live, if you are right eye dominant the reticle will be offset which I've posted about a couple of times and people tell me to use OBS which like you say eats resources I frankly don't want to give up in VR. so you'll have to use your left eye to aim or deal with it, or shoot all your shots from the exterior cam.  heres a quick vid I made in about 15 minutes using the ingame recorder and flying in cockpit in VR the whole time

dont mind the D-day Stripes I was still working on this P-51 skin and hadn't done the Ailerons yet so the stripes start there, had to scramble while they were painting.

BTW, I used to live in Medford, hello fellow Oregonian

Edited by Blast
added a link

On 9/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, YTDemon-Actual said:

How did you zoom in in vr? 

there's three or four levels of zoom you can set in game controls settings works the same as in pancake(2d)mode. I think its under pilot cameras or something like that.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, Blast said:

I think its ctrl - R default theres also a really good app that auto records for you so you don't have to remember to start recording again when it reaches a limit here

I find the best way is use the in game flight recorder in vr then when you record your video with shadowplay, turn on all graphics settings to max resolution  go into the flight records ingame select the flight you want to record for youtube or whatever and then you have access to all the different in game cameras so you can fly in vr at a lower resolution for performance and film in max resolution the caveats are it wont work for streaming live, if you are right eye dominant the reticle will be offset which I've posted about a couple of times and people tell me to use OBS which like you say eats resources I frankly don't want to give up in VR. so you'll have to use your left eye to aim or deal with it, or shoot all your shots from the exterior cam.  heres a quick vid I made in about 15 minutes using the ingame recorder and flying in cockpit in VR the whole time

dont mind the D-day Stripes I was still working on this P-51 skin and hadn't done the Ailerons yet so the stripes start there, had to scramble while they were painting.

BTW, I used to live in Medford, hello fellow Oregonian

Wow, how cool is that!  Very nice.  Thanks for that.  I'll work at figuring it out; thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

• Like 1

I used in-game recording, later went on without VR-mode on and recorded it with better settings, it still keeps your original head movements. Though if you wanna stream live OVR-plugin is way to go, or if youre on Oculus you could open Oculus mirror and record straight from that.

Edited by Crooner
  • Like 1