Sign in to follow this  
SCG_Neun

Sunday Tank Battle

Any of you guys interested in signing into an upcoming combined arms battle around Aachen?  I haven't made the mission yet, but my plans are to try a format something similar to FNBF of the past by having interested players sign on to some pre-existing slots for the elements involved.  The mission will be on a closed server and players will be required to join comms and coordinate combat within a system of command and planning.

The plan is to branch out into a combined arms structure, but perhaps this first battle will be ground only with some inclement weather, just so we don't have to worry about those freaking ground attacks while we try and find the right combination for future events.  Players will be American/shermans, vs German/MkVI's, with plenty of scattered AT and gun positions just to make it interesting.  If I do get any responses to this..please indicate which side you would like to join for the battle....

Axis or Allied

Later events would have opposing air elements vying for air domination and protecting ground assets, and raining down their pathetic plane debris on our tanks, or perhaps making us debris....

The mission would be set for a Sunday at 1500EST which allows for EU participation and would take approximately 2 plus hours to complete.  Thanks in advance and PM me if you have any questions. 

• Like 2

Well, we shall start small then and keep it within our unit for now and we have some interest from another squad so that might work as well.  But if anyone does change their minds, just let me know.  I think there are guys out there that would like to do this, but committing to a time slot is tough these days.  If this keeps on...I might suggest a "crickets chirping" sound for Tank Crew.  :)

Neun,

I think we'll be able to put at least 4 tanks on the ground going forward, I'll send you a message on the SCG forums.

S!

• Like 1

I would be all for supporting this when time allows, but I am assuming I will also have to wait until I get the BOBP map?

S! @SCG_Neun

Like @II./JG1_Lipfertposted, we are trying to get a few JG1 members to try out this event.
We might also have a few pilots when the air coverage will be added to the event.

Are we sticking to those two tanks (mention above) or we will have more tanks added in the next events?
Are we able to make a Tank skin package for the event? We are trying to add our squadron ID on the German tanks.

Cheers,
And many thanks for doing this event... a good way to start playing the IL2 Tank Battles.

GenMarkof :)

2 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

I would be all for supporting this when time allows, but I am assuming I will also have to wait until I get the BOBP map?

If you will be a tanker: no, you only need tank crew.

• Thanks 1

Will your 4 tanks be American or German preference?  Also, we are soliciting air coverage and have a number of our SCG members signed on, some American, some German.

I would like to participate. Axis side.

Bad broken English and even much worse German attached)

@SCG_Neun, could you provide some detailes please (map, historical background, tank set)?

Lofte, I will PM you.

What part of the world are we talking about? My ping and time difference would likely be too bad. Also I assume full realism which I have not tried yet.  ( literally had the game downloaded for 24hrs). I know how to drive in normal. :)

i would like to join as a tank driver/gunner for any side.

Thanks Lofte for joining our mission yesterday.  

1 hour ago, SCG_Neun said:

Thanks Lofte for joining our mission yesterday.  

Thank you, judgedeath3 and all other guys, that was cool.

PS - Btw where can I download skinpack with board numbers?

Curious. How many did you get in?

Also, if you created a dogfight mission, how exactly does fake_vehicle work? Do you link other vehicles to it somehow to populate the vehicle spawn options?

2 hours ago, Lofte said:

PS - Btw where can I download skinpack with board numbers?

Here you go, if you decide to play with us again this will come in handy :)

https://www.simulatedcombatgroup.com/panzersgd

Saw your post on the russian forum and used google translate so might miss details but: Fun seeing more photos of yesterdays mission, and have to agree, playing in this setup where we aim for immersion and realism with grades and military thinking and playing as real as possible and having tanks and airplanes working together and use radio and radio protocole with operation planning and tactics discussed etc as it its real life military operation is something I love.
I have ideas for how to improve on several things for the next time you want to play with us so its easier for you and also more enjoyable and clear and I learned a few things to do before we go out into battle. Next time will be even better I can promise :)
IF you have any questions feel free to pm me.

• Thanks 1

Hallo guys. I've been looking thru Lofte posts on Russian forums and got really carried away by his story of the event you held lately. I am totally new to the tank part of the game but I am really really interested in such coordinated projects. 

We will update the next time we have a mission like this again Wolga.  

Looking forward to see that. Cheers and Salute

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SCG_judgedeath3 said:

Here you go, if you decide to play with us again this will come in handy

Downloaded and installed, thanks)

13 hours ago, SCG_judgedeath3 said:

Next time will be even better I can promise

I believe you :)

I will PM you.

By the way, I was wondering, which side has fewer players generally?

Are the object boxes defined on this map, to stop the AI shooting through buildings?

I was actually wondering if the objects in this game allow shooting through buildings as is sometimes realistic?

Salutations,

We have to always remember that this is and has always primarily been a flight simulator and as such the maps and buildings, wooded areas and terrain were meant to be interacted with from the air (primarily).

That is why tanks can drive through forest trees and terrain with forest not blocking fire on the ground. This was most observed by the original free tanks drivers.

Once the developers committed themselves to Tank Crew and its inherent ground based action they wisely presents a special map to us for Prokhorovka. This map includes a much better height map for the designated area specifically meant for ground based battles with destructible buildings, wooded areas where one can hit trees and they block lines of sight. The Prokhorovka map is indeed better in these regards but even it isn't perfect. Still it is much better than all the other flight simulator maps in these regards. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have only played on prokhorovka. I noticed you could run trees over, that the trees blocked shots and that buildings do eventually burn up. I was just wondering of the level of safety one had behind buildings and different cover. 

The game is advertised as a tank simulator and I am not disappointed. Cannot wait for infantry. I’d gladly pay for an addon just to support good infantry implimentation.

Edited by [KG]Destaex
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

The buildings could provided a measure of protection. Even before TC I positioned my tank between and beside buildings defensively. It seemed to help most of the time. The complaint I had was that they seemed to be able to see through the building and always know where I was. Perhaps just a perception but it was there nonetheless. 

Edited by Thad
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was kinda wondering if my shell could go through windows to a tank I could see on the other side. Like in the t34 movie iron fury recently.

5 hours ago, [KG]Destaex said:

Yeah, I was kinda wondering if my shell could go through windows to a tank I could see on the other side. Like in the t34 movie iron fury recently.

AP rounds has no issues going through wooden buildings or trees but concrete buildings are a problem but then again buildings are mostly something a tank uses to hide in or get to safety, HE ammo wont go through but then again the purpose of that shell is to blow up whenever it hits something relatively hard, and on most maps we play on we can destroy buildings.

The issue with AI shoting through forests etc is something we build around to limit it when we play our historicaly missions alone but in most cases nowadays we play against human players in a historical way so theres no such issues or that people uses bugs like they do on private servers or spawn killing as tactics, we play historically and fair and according to the tactics and style of each side used during that historical battle we recreate.

• Upvote 1

We have a new server now and anyone interested in our Sunday mission can pm me for details, or join our website and check our event calendar to stay informed.

• Like 2

You run dedicated Neun? If so is it because you found hosting and playing on the same PC was bad? How many players does the mission do hosting on the same PC as playing comfortably?

Well there are so many factors that have to be evaluated within that question, but we ran our missions comfortably on a private computer for a long time.  My experience with this seems to indicate that the game can support a lot of AI rather well.  However, there can be issues of ghosting from time to time on static tanks, and vehicles, but the ghosting issues seem to diminish if you have mission begin and waypoints established for vehicles. 

In our missions that we ran for SCG primarily against AI only, I'd have at least 40 AI tanks, and maybe 40 or so AT/artillery, rockets going, flak firing and maybe 4 players in the air and up to 12 or so on the ground, with little to no problem.  My server ran from the office, but with many people working from home now the server is taxed more.  In addition, the more players in aircraft and planes, the more juice you are going to need for sure.  But a good PC with a good connection, 32 ram should be able to get you up and running.  Also, pulling in players from all over the world...can drag it down as well.

Yes, we went dedicated just this week and I'm looking forward to testing out the server.  What we are trying to do with Combined Arms is reduce the AI and open up slots for players, and once we find the sweet spot in averaging AI numbers with players, we should be able to get this thing going.  

• Thanks 1

Perfect. I will not bother with dedicated for now then. I have 24gig of ram but run on an old i5 3570k. Still it should be enough for now.

Posted (edited)
Several screenshots with some descriptions from yesterday's battle for Aachen.
This time there were 8 players, 2 for Axis (tanks) and 6 for allies (4 tanks and 2 planes)
Together with SCG_judgedeath3 on Pz-IV we defended Aachen :)

Unfortunately, I was able to participate only in the first half of the battle, then had to leave the match (family circumstances).
In the first attack, the opponent tried to break through our left flank, directly through the place where I was standing.
The first "sherman" on the way to the place of my ambush got hit from me in the tower, but without any visible problems went away and called the remaining three.

The main forces of the enemy fired blindfolded the supposed location of my position, then carefully moved forward.

I don't know why, but instead of being attacked by all the tanks and destroying me, they behaved very carefully.
Two tanks took a position on the edge of the forest, the other two turned to the front to the east.
I accidentally saw between the trees one of the "Sherman" stands, and destroyed him with single shot (I tried to shoot as less as possible not to discover myself) .

The other two went to the east, along the line of our defense and this, as I understand, led to the activation of the platoon of bots on the Pz-IV at a pistol distance directly on the flange of the moving "Shermans". As a result, all 3 left tanks were distroyed in 1 minute.
The 1st attack of the Allies failed in this way :)

My commender SCG_judgedeath3 watched all of this with approval through his binoculars :)

15.thumb.jpg.0fae127e28f846092242ffb0b9ebe34e.jpg 16.thumb.jpg.bc3710ed0f33b873baa9c5a9ce9d658b.jpg

The second attack took place on the site where SCG_judgedeath3 was defended (I already leaved)
"Shermans" was not lucky again, they came under the flank of SCG_judgedeath3 and everyone was destroyed.
A pair of pictures from SCG_judgedeath3 with description below.

17-jd.thumb.jpg.2809038bb46a6e68eaa77b254c827660.jpg

"Me engaging shermans who were driving up the hill in a line, I attacked them from the forest, left side of them and surprised them: took our the rearmost tank first and then took out the tank in front of him, the other two on the picture stopped and tried to see me, then I took them out."

18_jd.thumb.jpg.051d04c23c3d12ad4a73e4d13dc98247.jpg

"This is when they tried to sneak past our front line and was breaking through when I counterattacked and managed to get around them and sneaked up on them, I took out one sherman and after he was dead, I went further in the forest and encountered this sherman, took him out and he didnt see me."

Aviation of the enemy (a pair of "mustangs") did not represent an serious threat (if not considered a danger to be discovered in the open space) and
worked on our line of defense to help tanks get through it.

a1.thumb.jpg.5dd3dfd77ed2c69169bb3ac9027957bf.jpg a6.thumb.jpg.af59460dae34589928426c687a7b2338.jpg

a3.thumb.jpg.522b9a4fdad915d86d89a95d071bb6ce.jpg a4.thumb.jpg.ed8af05e43918d9559237a3d5dbc345f.jpg

-

Edited by Lofte
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Well I was one of those tanks and had a damaged/injured gunner and I couldn't see clearly with his messed up vision through my site.  I shot at your tank which was behind a tree and the tree absorbed the rounds.  I couldn't snake a round past it to kill you...if that was you. I hate the Sherman site...next mission...German only.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to join our missions Lofte. 

Edited by SCG_Neun

5 hours ago, SCG_Neun said:

if that was you

I doubt it :) As I remember all your shots went to the left from me. But yes, there was a couple of moments when I thought that I'm already dead :)