It can't be a backup sight; there's no front post for it (and the real backup ring and post are to the left).

I always assumed it was an implementation detail of the Italian reflex sight, but I'm curious about this too.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:48 PM, Field-Ops said:

Its just to tell you what kind of crosshair to expect when it comes into view I believe. Printed on the lens of italian gunsights. 

San Giorgio Tipo B in a Fiat CR.42 (?). Source: R. Whistler

Thanks. I guess they had to make sure light and reflector sets matched up.

My guess would have been that if you knew what angle-off you needed, then you would put the body of the plane on the printed part.  Probably not the case because it would only be good for very specific situations.   If you can move your head so the reflection and the printed part line up together on a straight-and-level target, the printed part is actually functional. 

Another possibility is that if the smaller printed part was thought of to be "ahead" of the reflected sight, it could be used as a rangefinder for convergence.  Line up both the sights, and shoot when the target fills the printed part.  

Those are just guesses, of course.  It would really depend on where the common eye-level position of the pilot(s) in the RL aircraft would be and how easy it was to move into that position.  

aircraft-gunsights.com has this excerpt from the San Giorgio manual:

s_giorgio_b_booklet.jpg

"reticolo inciso sulla specchio" seems to translate as "pattern engraved on the mirror". I didn't type up the full thing to translate it, but it seems like that's just the pattern that the gunsight reflects onto the glass. Why it wasn't hidden out of sight like in so many other gunsights, I don't know.

Edit: Oh, it seems like the yellow piece in the illustration above folds down and provides a rear sight post:

sg-tipo-b-k-ag.jpg

It seems Requiem has posted the full manual for the gunsight here.

Edited by Charon
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

Seems like that if gunsight light doesn't work you can align the small one with the bottom of the gunsight (the two yellow line that I draw).

Not sure 100%, but if I understood correctly should work like this...

I will do some try in QMB

Screenshot_20200629-090910.png

No, it's not true... 

In the manual it's written that it could be aligne with something but I don't understand what...
I tried but didn't find how to make it works...
(maybe in the game is not possible to do that)

8 hours ago, Charon said:

aircraft-gunsights.com has this excerpt from the San Giorgio manual:

s_giorgio_b_booklet.jpg

"reticolo inciso sulla specchio" seems to translate as "pattern engraved on the mirror". I didn't type up the full thing to translate it, but it seems like that's just the pattern that the gunsight reflects onto the glass. Why it wasn't hidden out of sight like in so many other gunsights, I don't know.

Edit: Oh, it seems like the yellow piece in the illustration above folds down and provides a rear sight post:

sg-tipo-b-k-ag.jpg

It seems Requiem has posted the full manual for the gunsight here.

That seems to be it.

Why did they put the circle and post sight on the outside of the plane too?

Edited by US63_SpadLivesMatter

The suspense is killing me: I'm assuming the screenshot in the OP was from an actual sortie he had. Was it a successful kill?

Also thanks very much for the posting of the technical details and photos of that sight. Fascinating.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

That seems to be it.

Why did they put the circle and post sight on the outside of the plane too?

I would imagine that this sight was designed for use in multiple types of aircraft, some of which would not have a secondary ring and bead sight, so this was designed to be an all in one sight that provided it's own backup. The ring and bead might be a residual feature on the Macchi?

• Thanks 1
On 6/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, TRRA15 said:

The suspense is killing me: I'm assuming the screenshot in the OP was from an actual sortie he had. Was it a successful kill?

It was a "kill" on EU Server. I rarely fly the MC202 because of armament and   flight characteristics especially accelerated stall . But Now I'm getting to like it - takes a lighter touch than the 109s that I am used to.

Edited by Sheriff88
4 hours ago, Sheriff88 said:

It was a "kill" on EU Server. I rarely fly the MC202 because of armament and   flight characteristics especially accelerated stall . But Now I'm getting to like it - takes a lighter touch than the 109s that I am used to.

Killing a P-38 with a MC.202 is no small feat, congrats!