Han

Developer Diary 255 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Dear friends,

Continuing from the previous Dev Blog, this time we'll tell you about the second important addition (well, depending on your personal preference it may be the first important addition actually) coming in the next update 4.008. P-47D-22 "Razorback", the first aircraft of Battle of Normandy, will start the Early Access program for this module.

To complete today's Dev Blog, we would like to showcase another improvement that we did exclusively for our previous projects - new early Luftwaffe pilot winter uniform which will be later used for all fighters and then bombers from Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

Yay, very nice!!

Glad to see this P-47 will be inserted into Bodenplatte career as well!!

• Like 1

Yes!

P-47 Love!

150 octane for both the D-22 and D-28 is amazing news.

And the updated flight model + fix for Flaps is also great to hear.

Really looking forward to the next update!

the D-22 is going to be my Go-to Aircraft on the western front from now on probably.

• Upvote 5

Simply stunned! Thanks for adding the 150 octane fuel for both of my ladys 😄 I'm currently so hyped to sit in this beauty ;) And the winter uniform is also great!

• Like 1

Mega !! ..

Please have more pictures of the developers and of the people who do it ..

for us they are like little stars ..

it makes a family impression. In this Corana time. :thank_you:

• Like 3

Great news and great work on the skins as well.

150 octane is a very welcome addition as well as the fm revision especially for the elevators (I'm curious how this will feel in-game)

Can't wait to fly the D-22.

Great work Devs.

• Upvote 2

Neat. Not a plane that I have even the remotest interest in but I know it's high on other's lists so very happy to see it coming out.

Keep 'em coming devs. So awesome!

I had already planned on starting the learning process on the current P-47 tomorrow with a new PWCG Campaign for it.

So I reckon my timing will be good, and will be able to see how changes feel once I do get the new one.

Very nice, the extra performance is very welcome.

Though will we see any adjustments to the limitations on wep usage? Emergency timer eating into combat timer was crushing for the P47 in bobp, and I fear it will hurt this one as well.

Very nice! Great that the P47 FM got the refinements mentioned! Very welcome indeed!

:good:

P-47D-22 can use hi-octane fuel, which affects the engine power, and the good news is that P-47D-28 will receive this option in the next update as well.

Excellent news!

Also very excited about the FM refinements to the existing model.

The P-47 is my true love in terms of planes, so this DD could not be better.

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to both the increased performance and the refining of the flaps on the P-47. Hoping she will be more competitive down low.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

Very nice, the extra performance is very welcome.

Though will we see any adjustments to the limitations on wep usage? Emergency timer eating into combat timer was crushing for the P47 in bobp, and I fear it will hurt this one as well.

I find the Trick to flying the P-47 is to us water (Boost) but not full power (64 manifold)

instead keep it at 56MP with only short boosts to 64 manifold when you need the last bit of power that way you can have more power for longer (as you get probably 8-10 minutes at 56MP)

additionally when flying level i would advice lowering the RPM to 2550 as that is actually faster (worse acceleration and Climb rate but better top speed)

then max RPM + it gives you some additional time even at max Manifold.

But yea i would LOVE if the timers did not eat into eachother.

But if anything the D-22 is going to have even stricter limits as it carries less water then the D-28.

(So while you get 5 min at max power you probably cant do the 8-10 minutes at 56MP as you can do in the D-28 now).

Also im not sure for how long you will be able to maintain 70 inches of Manifold (5 minutes max power like now or less then that)

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

I fly the P-47 a lot. With the DM improvements earlier this year and now an FM update (and 150 octane!) it's really starting to feel like a whole new plane. Can't wait to try out the FM improvements and the Razorback!

• Upvote 1

Looking nice for the Jug ^^  I wonder are we going to get the Malcolm Hood as a modification for it? It fits so well with the plane imho.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

P47 news is great news. I fondly remember i bought the la5 in bos.. simply because it looked like a 47 razor. Go team.

Btw. Thanks for bop intergration.

Edited by Luger1969

10 minutes ago, mattebubben said:

I find the Trick to flying the P-47 is to us water (Boost) but not full power (64 manifold)

instead keep it at 56MP with only short boosts to 64 manifold when you need the last bit of power that way you can have more power for longer (as you get probably 8-10 minutes at 56MP)

additionally when flying level i would advice lowering the RPM to 2550 as that is actually faster (worse acceleration and Climb rate but better top speed)

But if anything the D-22 is going to have even stricter limits as it carries less water then the D-28.

(So while you get 5 min at max power you probably cant do the 8-10 minutes at 56MP as you can do in the D-28 now).

Also im not sure for how long you will be able to maintain 70 inches of Manifold (5 minutes max power like now or less then that)

Sure, there are some tricks to compensate, but you're still missing out on performance + a much harder time to cool down from wep.

It just needs to be unified, make all able to cool down wep in combat, like existing MW50 planes.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mattebubben said:

D-22 water tank allowed for around 11 min at 56" (iirc) before running dry. For 64" it was around 7-8 min iirc and for 70" it's even less (around 5min or less)

One benefit of 150 octane is that it allows for operation at 64/65" without the use of water injection (pretty much equivalent to 56" with water injection)

Edited by Legioneod

My favorite plane of all time, and now there's 2 of them in game thank you! Looking forward to the next update.

I fly the P-47 a lot. With the DM improvements earlier this year and now an FM update (and 150 octane!) it's really starting to feel like a whole new plane. Can't wait to try out the FM improvements and the Razorback!

I have to say that the visibility from the cockpit looks quite a bit better than I was really expecting it to be, especially with the mirror. With the extra speed and the not-so-bad visibility the earlier razorback may be the Jug of choice in MP.

All hail our razorback overlords.

:good:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

Sure, there are some tricks to compensate, but you're still missing out on performance + a much harder time to cool down from wep.

It just needs to be unified, make all able to cool down wep in combat, like existing MW50 planes.

Yea and if Using Water injection allowed the Combat timer to Cool down and the other way around (Like on MW50 planes)

that would be a game changer for the P-47.

As then you could go back and forth between 52MP and a higher setting with Water injection untill you ran out of water basically.

(Similarly to how it works in the German Fighters)

I think the issue is that the German manuals directly states that time spent at combat power allows you another 10 minutes at boost,

Where as i dont think American manuals state the same. (Legeioned can probably correct me if im wrong)

So even if it worked the same way IRL if they did not outright state it in the manual that might be the reason why id does not work that way in game currently.

(As they seem to stay very strictly to the Manuals)

6 minutes ago, mattebubben said:

I think the issue is that the German manuals directly states that time spent at combat power allows you another 10 minutes at boost,

Where as i dont think American manuals state the same. (Legeioned can probably correct me if im wrong)

So even if it worked the same way IRL if they did not outright state it in the manual that might be the reason why id does not work that way in game currently.

(As they seem to stay very strictly to the Manuals)

well, they have the very sane rule to create their planes via hard data. People bring forward anecdotal evidence left and right but the matter of fact is, often it can't be trusted and more often than not anectodal evidence from different source can be very contradicting, so sticking close to the available official data and manuals is a sensible thing to do

anyways. P-47 looks sexy as hell, can't wait to handle both those heavy weights in the new update

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, =RvE=Windmills said:

To be fair, if you're in combat, your WEP timer does cooldown/recharge. However because combat is only 15 mins *AND* it gets used when you're in WEP, if you recharge all your WEP you'll have exhausted your combat.

I hope there will be a number of default skin variations for this and the other allied BoN aircraft, IE Silver w/wo invasion stripes and OD w/wo invasion stripes. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Asgar said:

well, they have the very sane rule to create their planes via hard data. People bring forward anecdotal evidence left and right but the matter of fact is, often it can't be trusted and more often than not anectodal evidence from different source can be very contradicting, so sticking close to the available official data and manuals is a sensible thing to do

anyways. P-47 looks sexy as hell, can't wait to handle both those heavy weights in the new update

Never said they were wrong to stay strictly to the Manual.

But its not always perfect as the Manuals only reflect what how they were told to operate the aircraft and not exactly how they operated it or exactly how it worked etc.

But its the only hard data they have so its what they have to use.

And yea i love the way the Razorback looks.

So much sexier then the Bubbletop.

Edited by mattebubben

Today's daft question, why are there 2 gunsights, if the centre post is going to obscure the middle one?, Tell me if I'm being slow on the uptake?

Just now, scotsmanFlyingscotsman said:

Today's daft question, why are there 2 gunsights, if the centre post is going to obscure the middle one?, Tell me if I'm being slow on the uptake?

Second gunsight is an iron sight, there is a bead mounted on the nose. so if the reflector site is damaged, malfunctions, or the bulb burns out, you can use the ring-and-bead site by leaning to the left and lining up the sight. Reflector site is just better because your head doesn't have to be aligned perfectly to use it.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, scotsmanFlyingscotsman said:

The Iron sights are to the left.

The main reflector gunsight is to the Right.

And the post is in the middle.

Edited by mattebubben

Posted (edited)

Thank you gents, I've always thought the Iron sight looks a bit WW1, but the American saying, if it works, don't fix it applies.

THANK YOU

Edited by scotsmanFlyingscotsman

“ Bodenplatte fans will be happy to hear that we are going to insert the D-22 into the BOBP Pilot Career once the plane is finished.“

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It’s Totally understandable; the Bodenplatte career right now for the Allies seems a bit boring. Again, totally understandable. I was anticipating that the BoN aircraft (well some of them at least) would be added to the Bodenplatte career at the end of its development. But with this news, it has made my day. Well, not that all of the BoN planes should be added immediately to BoBP Career when they’re first released, but to hear that one of them is, is pretty impressive. And if that’s the only one, I won’t argue about that.

You guys are awesome, thank you devs.

July 10th is the earliest day that I’m anticipating the Razorback and the Ferdinand to be released.

😂😂.

26 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

“ Bodenplatte fans will be happy to hear that we are going to insert the D-22 into the BOBP Pilot Career once the plane is finished.“

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It’s Totally understandable; the Bodenplatte career right now for the Allies seems a bit boring. Again, totally understandable. I was anticipating that the BoN aircraft (well some of them at least) would be added to the Bodenplatte career at the end of its development. But with this news, it has made my day. Well, not that all of the BoN planes should be added immediately to BoBP Career when they’re first released, but to hear that one of them is, is pretty impressive. And if that’s the only one, I won’t argue about that.

All BoN aircraft are divided into two types:

1) P-51B/C, P-47D “Razorback”, Bf 109 G-6 “Late”, Fw 190 A-6 - we can add them to existing squadrons and groups from BoBP career and there is no any problem.

2) Typhoon Mk.Ib, Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI, Spifire Mk.XIV, C-47 Dakota (AI), B-26 Marauder (AI), Ar 234 - for these aircraft we'll have to add several dozens of new units to the BoN and BoBP careers, write their stories and draw emblems. Most likely they will appear in the BoBP career on time with the BoN release.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Han said,    "in general, P-47 now feels more like a heavy machine it was."

Outstanding, this is really great news.  The Thunderbolt has captivated me since childhood when I saw a picture of my Dad standing next to one during the war years.

Lots of respect to 1C 777 for filling in the gaps with the Razorback!

• Upvote 1