Han

Developer Diary 254 - Discussion

On 6/20/2020 at 6:21 AM, inexus said:

I hope improved path finding and AI will considered at some point TC.

$80 USD for a module that is focusing almost purely on MP seems pretty high. I fully understand there is a need for ROI but as a customer that enjoy SP and struggle to find servers in Australia with TC it's expensive. 

I am based in China (similar time zones). We could try to organized a group for the region and she how that goes. 

I hope the Devs made the Sd.Kfz 184 Ferdinant with the correkt Monokular Turmzielfernrohr TZF 9c and 5x Magnification!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, Yogiflight said:

Hmm, you mean those cars with the engine in the rear?

To be fair there are mid-engined Porsches, the Carrera GT for example. 

51 minutes ago, Soilworker said:

To be fair there are mid-engined Porsches, the Carrera GT for example. 

Of course you are right, not to forget the Boxter,  but the typical Porsche, those cars Porsche got famous for, are the rear engined (and originally aircooled) Porsche 911.

Wait... does this mean that the official release date for Tank Crew is coming and they still didn't fix the game so it could be playable in VR? I mean, it's been literally years.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, SAG said:

Wait... does this mean that the official release date for Tank Crew is coming and they still didn't fix the game so it could be playable in VR? I mean, it's been literally years.

What is unplayable?

3 hours ago, SAG said:

They have made multiple changes to the zoom in VR, the binoculars are now much more powerful than max zoom, etc.

Not sure what you are referring to but your comment is pretty useless, comes off as just whining.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if there is any way to fix the gunner view. Since when you entering the optic and you zoom in, you will wobble and its harder to aim. In real life you press your head against the optic so it can't wobble. 

Maybe ist just my problem to keep my head still and im a alcoholic. 

On 6/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, sonicapollo said:

What is unplayable?

On 6/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, Jade_Monkey said:

They have made multiple changes to the zoom in VR, the binoculars are now much more powerful than max zoom, etc.

Not sure what you are referring to but your comment is pretty useless, comes off as just whining.

It's a complaint and I'm not talking about zoom at all. I'm talking about the fact that when the turret rotates, your body doesn't rotate with it, so you end up looking at a "wall" or the back of the tank. 

ya this happens if you aren't aimed down sight of the turret... the mg's are ver difficult aswell, seeing as the operator would use one eye to aim.  the external .50 cal on the shermen is ok as long as you dont have to shoot behind you  :S     or aim down the site.... 

If i had a rotating chair it would be awesome!         but ya, the gunners pov/body should rotate with the turret when not aiming down the site...

i love tank gameplay.... i wish it was more popular and capable for mp expert servers....have equal amount of flyers to ground ops

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2020 at 7:28 AM, Yogiflight said:

It was never planned to implement a career mode, and unfortunately, unlike FC, Pat won't do a campaign mode for it either.

With all the limitations of the AI, it is mainly an online game.

That's a shame, after seeing how awesome it is in the scripted campaign "Last Chance"

On 6/20/2020 at 7:28 PM, Yogiflight said:

It was never planned to implement a career mode, and unfortunately, unlike FC, Pat won't do a campaign mode for it either.

With all the limitations of the AI, it is mainly an online game.

That's a shame. I don't know if we can get enough guys on in the Asia/ Pacific time zone to make it worth while. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SAG said:

It's a complaint and I'm not talking about zoom at all. I'm talking about the fact that when the turret rotates, your body doesn't rotate with it, so you end up looking at a "wall" or the back of the tank. 

You bind a button to nestle in. You can also bind a button to take and leave the gun. Try it in the Sherman in the TC position. Your default view is your right eye down the iron sights. You can nestle the gun back and forth to get what you described. You can also leave the gun all together to just free look around. (Separate binding)

Edited by sonicapollo

Looking at the lineup of the German tanks against the lineup of the Soviet tanks, it appears to me that the Soviet side  had zero chance to win a confrontation where number of tanks were similar. I imagine Kursk was won by the Soviet army probably because they hurled waves of tanks and sacrificed huge number of tanks and basically drowned the German forces under the quantities.

I know this is a little primitive as an analysis (German tanks were slower, less maneuverable and had less autonomy) but I feel it gives the fundamental basics. You may be superior in quality and power but you will always loose against a large enough number of lower rated opponents ready to sacrifice themselves.  This will just wear you out, simply because in the end you will have exhausted bullets, shells or whatever else you have, and the enemy keeps coming.

There is an interesting video on this topic which give the feel of this kind of contrast between armies and the price that was paid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwKPFT-RioU

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2020 at 12:25 AM, SAG said:

Wat?

I've been playing in tanks for ages, they're perfectly usable in VR, it's my preferred flavour.

Have you actually tried tanks in VR or just relying on a mate of a mate who says it's broken?

Posted (edited)

Pathfinding and AI is not working well. 

It would be great if somebody from 1C would one day reply to all the people in the forums discussing this aspect of TC. Are there any intention to look at these things or is TC only meant to be used for MP? Please... :) 

Edited by inexus

11 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Looking at the lineup of the German tanks against the lineup of the Soviet tanks, it appears to me that the Soviet side  had zero chance to win a confrontation where number of tanks were similar. I imagine Kursk was won by the Soviet army probably because they hurled waves of tanks and sacrificed huge number of tanks and basically drowned the German forces under the quantities.

I know this is a little primitive as an analysis (German tanks were slower, less maneuverable and had less autonomy) but I feel it gives the fundamental basics. You may be superior in quality and power but you will always loose against a large enough number of lower rated opponents ready to sacrifice themselves.  This will just wear you out, simply because in the end you will have exhausted bullets, shells or whatever else you have, and the enemy keeps coming.

The fundamental basic is that the battle of Kursk was not primarily a battle of tanks vs tanks. It was a process of attrition where the German divisions had to fight their way through multiple layers of well dug in defensive positions, supplied with numerous AT guns, covered by huge minefields and backed by powerful artillery.  The Soviet tank counterattacks helped slow down the Germans on occasion, but they were all beaten off with light losses to the German tank force. They did not overwhelm the Germans with human  tank waves, although that is what they were trying to do.  AT guns and mines caused almost all the vehicle losses, apart from the many breakdowns.  

Kursk was won by the Soviets because the Germans completely underestimated the Soviet ability to build up and deploy reserves and chose to attack the Soviets at their strongest point. This whole tank vs tank thing is largely irrelevant. 

• Upvote 4

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Whittman's only worry on the battlefield was small, well-concealed AT guns not other tanks.

23 hours ago, Georgio said:

Wat?

I've been playing in tanks for ages, they're perfectly usable in VR, it's my preferred flavour.

Have you actually tried tanks in VR or just relying on a mate of a mate who says it's broken?

How are you dealing with the issue that when you like left or right from external or commanders unbuttoned view all objects dissapear?

Unplayeble is a bit harsh but it is severely annoying not to be able to see anything outside 45 degrees from where your mouse is pointing or have objects disappear when you turn your head.

1 hour ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

How are you dealing with the issue that when you like left or right from external or commanders unbuttoned view all objects dissapear?

Unplayeble is a bit harsh but it is severely annoying not to be able to see anything outside 45 degrees from where your mouse is pointing or have objects disappear when you turn your head.

Pass, I don't worry about external views.

My preferred view is the gunsight so I can shoot stuff that wants to shoot me.

23 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

I just read in TC forums that someone solved it by pressing Shift+T

it was me!

You need to press Shift+t.

35 minutes ago, VonMarts said:

it was me!

You need to press Shift+t.

when you are the commander sticking your head out of the cupola?

I know it nestles you to the gunsight of a gunner.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:57 AM, Georgio said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Whittman's only worry on the battlefield was small, well-concealed AT guns not other tanks.

Seems he would have done well to worry about the not so small, well concealed tank too :) 

But the point is well taken. The great tank clashes were probably much outnumbered  by the troop level ambushes - one of which killed Wittman.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, IckyATLAS said:

I imagine Kursk was won by the Soviet army probably because they hurled waves of tanks and sacrificed huge number of tanks and basically drowned the German forces under the quantities.

Maybe this helps a little:

https://www.ifz-muenchen.de/heftarchiv/2009_3_2_töppel.pdf

https://www.amazon.de/Kursk-1943-Greatest-Military-History/dp/1912390035

Edited by sevenless

12 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Seems he would have done well to worry about the not so small, well concealed tank too :) 

But the point is well taken. The great tank clashes were probably much outnumbered  by the troop level ambushes - one of which killed Wittman.

Funnily enough it was a well-concealed Firefly (main gun poking through a wall) that probably finished Whitman off, though apparently a Typhoon driver also claimed hitting a Tiger in the same area. 

5 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

when you are the commander sticking your head out of the cupola?

I know it nestles you to the gunsight of a gunner.

In inside or outside of cupola Shift-t use it for see other tanks...(i use it on comander and driver)

11 hours ago, VonMarts said:

In inside or outside of cupola Shift-t use it for see other tanks...(i use it on comander and driver)

Okay will try it out.

One more dream just came tru! Thank you very much indeed in everyone in the developement team! However soon we need something for Russia what is actually competitive with all of this mighty German power. Such as T34-85 variants and IS2. I hope the tank crew community will growing and pilots don't mind us too much in their game :) 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Georgio said:

Wat?

serviceable maybe, perfectly usable? I wouldn't say so.