Beebop's Hack Shack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I was reading about B-24's from the 480th Anti Submarine Group that attacked a pair of FW-200 Condor's off the coast of Portugal, bringing one down.  Thinking that would be a fun mission I set to work building it but not having any 4 engine bombers (*) I decided to skin a couple of A-20's as stand in's and used He-111-H6's as stand in's for the Condors. 

(*) I asked my Magic 8 Ball when 4 engine bombers were coming it took a real long while and finally gave me this answer...'I am not allowed into 1CGS meetings'.

So I present two new additions to the Hack Shack,  fictional A-20 Sub Hunters;

Sub Hunter 1/North Atlantic Convoy Protector:
Sub-Hunter-1-2.jpg

Sub Hunter 2/Alternate Skin:
Sub-Hunter-2.jpg

Download Here:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/utt7swzig4xrfy9/A-20+Sub+Hunters.zip/file

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

After finishing the two above I did some more searching about the 480th Anti Submarine Group.

I came across a couple of good articles on them including a reference to one of their B-24's "Monkeys Unkle".  It turns out there is a picture of this plane in one of my skinning reference books, "Air Force Colors Volume 2 ETO & MTO" by Dana Bell, squadron/signal publications, 1980 given me by my good friend Zeus-cat.  The photo is unfortunately in black & white but I found out that plane camo was often done at point of delivery.  Factory's painted them all one approved color, B-24's being USAAF Olive Drab.  The unit receiving the plane adjusted it to suit their theatre.  In this case Anti-sub work.  The bottom of the plane and under the wings was painted Insignia White.  The camo scheme here is representative of the Tuscon Modification Pattern of 1943.  There was no set pattern so each plane had a distinctive variation on the theme shown here.
By 1943 Operation Torch was over but most sources say that the removal of the yellow ring was done over a period of time, usually when it was repainted with the late war Star-n-Bar.  The plane in my reference photo clearly shows the yellow ring and is dated as 'early 1943'.

Although this is not a recreation of the Monkeys Unkle scheme, it is, to the best of my research and skinning ability, an accurate representation of the appearance of B-24's from the 480th Anti Submarine Group based in Portugal in 1943.

480th ASG, Port Lyautey NAS:

480th-ASG-1.jpg

480th-ASG-2.jpg

Available Here:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/wi4b0wgfx0tps6k/BBop_A20B_480th+ASG.dds/file

I would like to thank everyone for their positive comments so far and especially those who have downloaded my skins. :thank_you:

• Like 3

Here is a slightly different hack, the IL-2 43 for the IL-10.  I'm not sure what use it would be in this sim but I get these uncontrollable urges every so often...

I did this for my own amusement but thought I would share..

In the course of the Korean War three intact North Korean IL-10's fell into the hands of US forces.Two of them, 44 Yellow and 55 Yellow, were taken back to Wright Patterson AFB for evaluation.  During evaluation they retained their North Korean markings but later 44 Yellow was repainted with USAF markings and given the tactical number TC2-3000. 

(source:  Ilyushin IL-2/IL-10 by Yefim Gordon, Sergey Komissarov and Dmitriy Komissarov, Midland Press, 2010)

This is my representation of that plane:

IL-10-Hack-1.jpg

IL-10-Hack-2.jpg

IL-10-Hack-3.jpg

(based on the color profile from the same source)

If anyone is interested I will upload it.

What the heck. 

Download it here:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/r68a056fzjcjc54/BBop_USAF+IL-10.dds/file

Edited by Beebop
  • Upvote 1
RedKestrel
18 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Here is a slightly different hack, the IL-2 43 for the IL-10.  I'm not sure what use it would be in this sim but I get these uncontrollable urges every so often...

I did this for my own amusement but thought I would share..

In the course of the Korean War three intact North Korean IL-10's fell into the hands of US forces.Two of them, 44 Yellow and 55 Yellow, were taken back to Wright Patterson AFB for evaluation.  During evaluation they retained their North Korean markings but later 44 Yellow was repainted with USAF markings and given the tactical number TC2-3000. 

(source:  Ilyushin IL-2/IL-10 by Yefim Gordon, Sergey Komissarov and Dmitriy Komissarov, Midland Press, 2010)

This is my representation of that plane:

IL-10-Hack-1.jpg

IL-10-Hack-2.jpg

IL-10-Hack-3.jpg

(based on the color profile from the same source)

If anyone is interested I will upload it.

I gotta say, the Il-2 looks pretty good in American colours!

• Like 1
CUJO_1970

Hey Beebop, just wanted to pop in and say thank you for the skins - and this is a pretty cool "outside the lines" thread which is pretty cool.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cujo, I appreciate that.  There are a lot of really, really good skinners out there that do a better job than I so I figured let them do the historical stuff that most people want and I'll do what I've done since the 1946 days of hacking planes via skinning and making schemes that are a little different and can allow a mission maker to  do something a little less hardcore than war or augment a theme like the Pacific.

Again, :thank_you:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Beebop

Thanks.  As you know I am a big fan of your work as well.

• Thanks 1
Beebop
2 hours ago, Raptor341 said:

IL-2 as Fairey Battle? :)

Well, it has an inline engine, a long canopy and a rear facing manned gun.  Don't use any of the forward facing guns, rockets, ptabs or heavy caliber weapons and use only two of the smallest bombs, suspend your disbelief and enable a v e r y strong imagination.  Use my LaGG-3 Dewotine 520 hack to fly cover and what more could you want?

A Battle of France DLC?  😉😁

Raptor341
15 hours ago, Beebop said:

Well, it has an inline engine, a long canopy and a rear facing manned gun.  Don't use any of the forward facing guns, rockets, ptabs or heavy caliber weapons and use only two of the smallest bombs, suspend your disbelief and enable a v e r y strong imagination.  Use my LaGG-3 Dewotine 520 hack to fly cover and what more could you want?

A Battle of France DLC?  😉😁

Minus the armour, weapon fit, and crew (2 vs 3) you get a similar aircraft in profile, and even in role in a way. And yes, use the LaGG-3 Dewotine 520 hack and lets make some missions!

I can only hope for a BoX Battle of France someday

• 3 weeks later...
Lemsip
On 9/23/2020 at 3:13 AM, Beebop said:

Wilco Roger.  Transferring to the La5s8. 

Here is a WIP.  There is lots to do and as you can see I am revamping the paint.

Would you like the scheme of the No.13 and the Viking emblem in the previous post?

Please be patient.  This will take a bit, maybe a week with my other projects.

MB-152_La5s8.jpg

Hey Beebop Ive got a request for you. Could you make a skin for the La-5, Lagg-3 and Pe-2 in Vichy French colours? Is it also possible that you make 1-2 of each with different numbers? These will be used for my Going Solo series and you will be given full credit. I hope you can make them, thanks!

Heres some references

273726826_VichyPotez63.jpg.1f696a12aafeaa9b234c2c8d8c976603.jpg into a Pe-2 s.35

965744898_VichyD520.jpg.0b8569900df3f2c5199cd3a663291aa1.jpginto a Lagg-3

1988985891_VichyBloch152.jpg.e639689cd4340294568cc060eefed0e2.jpginto a La-5 s.8

Edited by Lemsip
Lemsip
1 hour ago, Beebop said:

I'll see what I can do.

Thankyou! Only do what you want of course

• 2 weeks later...
scotsmanFlyingscotsman
On 10/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, Blitzen said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this looks a bit more like  the ill fated Fairey Battle...it just needs a few squadron code numbers to made it even closer...

fba1bcdfb89931831b3c8569ee746618.jpg

BTW - What fun! Delighted I stumbled across your posts & skins!

Yep I too saw Fairey Battle first, before the Defiant, it'd be the toughest Fairey Battle ever, we had some propaganda newspapers, "War Weekly" that I used to read and it made the Battle and the Blenhiem sound fantastic. The papers were printed during the phoney war mainly.

Thanks Beebop for the skins, really interesting and through a gunsight, convincing enough for me, THANK YOU

• Thanks 1
Beebop

RAAF P-39D-1

As I am making a series of Dogfight missions for the guys I fly with I am turning my attention to the Pacific Theatre via meplanes excellent Asia Re-texure mod for the Summer Kuban map.

Previously I released an RAAF A-20 and now I present an RAAF P-39D-1.  Though not strictly a "hack", it is an non historic generic skins so, IMO, falls under the general heading of a hack.

My research indicates that 23 re-conditioned Airacobra's, on loan from the U.S. 5th Air Force, were used by the RAAF as a stop-gap interceptor

So that the mission builder can have several planes without recurring codes I made this one and a generic uncoded one:

For those interested,
DOWNLOAD HERE:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/0h22f1euhaegbir/BBop_RAAF_P-39D.zip/file

RAAF P-39D_1.jpg

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much. If I squint real hard the Caucuses look a little like the Owen Stanley Range. 😣

Beebop
8 minutes ago, Gedm said:

Thanks very much. If I squint real hard the Caucuses look a little like the Owen Stanley Range.

Click your heels together three times and say, "I'm in the Owen Stanley Range, I'm in the Owen Stanley Range, I'm in the Owen Stanley Range".  😁

Edited by Beebop
  • Haha 2
Beebop
Posted (edited)

Post War Cuban Air Force

So I am making some Bay of Pigs/Cuban Missile Crisis missions and needed some Cuban planes.  Below are two of them, both somewhat fictional.

First, a Cuban fighter based off the paint scheme of a Hawker Sea Fury.  Why a Yak you ask?  Obviously a radial engine plane would seem best but the La series is too stubby and the Typhoon is too "chinny" so I settled on this Yak 1s 127.  Hey, at least it's a Communist plane and not out of the realm of believe-ability....sort of.

The lower picture is a hack of an A-20 into an A-26 Invader used by FAR.  When they release the B-26 I'll probably re-do this one since I don't see an A-26 in our immediate future.  Until then....

These are "Final WIP's" as I will be doing QC for those little niggling things you find right after you release something, if ya know what I mean.
Download link in 24~48 hours.

Download link in next post.

BTW....

For some reason I can no longer place pictures in the text, only as attachments.  I use imageBB and their 'Full Linked BBC' code which used to work but all I get in the post text now is a link, not the picture.  Did something change?  Or am I having a Senior Moment?

Cuban Fighter.jpg

Cuban Bomber.jpg

Edited by Beebop
  • Thanks 1
Beebop

I believe in presenting BOTH sides of any story.

So, here is the Fuerza Aerea Ejercito de Cuba (FAEC) version of the A-26.  Several were destroyed by the FAL during preliminary air strikes during the Bay of Pigs invasion.

I will be updating the "Post War Cuban Air Force file soon. 

I am adding this plane, an FAL version of the FAR plane and a Cuban "Mig-17" hack. 

👀 Watch this space!  👀

FAEC_1.jpg

FAEC_2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Beebop
Posted (edited)

Did somebody say Korea?

"Viking Invader"

A-20B hacked as an A-26B Invader, 13th USAF Bomber Sqn, Iwakuni AFB, Japan, ~August 1950:

A-26B-1.jpg

Fictional skin based on actual squadron colors.

Just finishing QC checks.  Download link in 24hrs.

Now Available Here:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/ey4yl4h4888q4ci/BBop_Postwar_A26.dds/file

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1
Beebop
Posted (edited)

I know, I know.  Engine is all wrong, tailplane is all wrong, so many things so not right.  But,

when (if ever) will we get one of these?  This one is representative of one that was stationed in Palestine during the Arab Revolts of 1936-1939.

Besides, it looks cool on Off Winters/mepalnes desert mods.

PfalzD3 as Hawker Hart

Hawker-Hart-2.jpg

Hawker-Hart-1.jpg

Hawker-Hart-3.jpg

Hawker-Hart-4.jpg

Currently in QC checks.

Upload in ~ 24 hours.

DOWNLOAD:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/e2d5xh13hjp09hf/BBop_PD3a_Hawker_Hart.dds/file

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1
Mtnbiker1998
On 3/26/2021 at 12:52 AM, Beebop said:

I saw a few posts in the "What Do You Want To See Next" thread and someone mentioned Korea.

So I hacked this:

P-47 as Douglas AD-3 Skyraider

Skyraider-1.jpg

Skyraider-2.jpg

Skyraider-3.jpg

Download Link in 24 Hours

Download LINK:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/hix9trplsbf2gh3/BBop_P-47_as_USMC_Skyraider.zip/file

I thought that was a Bearcat at first glance, looks really cool

• Thanks 1
Beebop

Interesting.  Let me see what I can do.

Beebop

Reggie, something along these lines?

WIP

Russian-Captured-262.jpg

Beebop

I am beginning to delve into biplane hacking. 

After finishing the Hawker Hart Hack I was reclining in my easy chair with my feet on the ottoman when my feet spoke to me! 

"What about a Turkish hack?  They have those really weird looking squarells" they whispered. 

"Squarell's?
I got up and did some research but found very little about the Turks having much of an air force during WWI.  But, as I have said before, why should I let history stop me?

So here we go, for all you mission builders or QMBer's looking for a different type of scenario;

The HalberstadtCL2 as an Ottoman Empire bomber:

Ottoman-Bomber-0.jpg

Ottoman-Bomber-1.jpg

Ottoman-Bomber-2.jpg

Works on both models of the HalberstadtCL2

Perfect with Off Winters/meplanes North Africa re-textures.

DOWNLOAD HERE:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/9zbky43iceb28ej/BBop_Ottoman_HalberstadtCL.dds/file

• Like 1
Beebop
Posted (edited)

Reggie,  Hows this?

WIP 2:

Russian-Captured-WIP-2.jpg

Couldn't put that patch exactly as in that model.  The outer cannons are "in the way" and you can only remove the inner cannons.  i.e I could remove the panel lines and shadows for that outer cannon but if the player fired their guns, muzzle flash would erupt from the "patch".

I might have a bit too much weathering on it.  let me know.

Still working on my metal skills. 🔩⚙️🛠️

ADDENDUM:  I just realized that is what that "patch" is for on the model,  🙄  to cover up the outside cannon port.  I can do that if you want just realize the gun will "fire through it" in game.

Edited by Beebop
Beebop
Posted (edited)

Kinda a hack, kinda not.

A few days ago I saw Howard Hughes epic WWI film, "Hells Angels".  I decided to do a skin set for the Fokker D-7's in the movie.

I'm posting the first WIP in this thread because the skin is not at all historical.  The markings are from early in the war and should be straight crosses but I'm guessing the Maltese style of early war cross seemed more iconic to Hughes.

Of the planned set of three only one will have the straight crosses but they are really 'fat'.

None the less here is the first skin;

Hell's Angels

German Leader

Hells-Angels-Leader.jpg

Comments welcomed and encouraged.  Remember it is a WIP so there is more that needs to be done. 

Two other skins from the movie will be included. 

I hope to be finished early this week.

Interesting side notes;

One of the movie planes was bought for restoration as a D-7 that flew in the Belgium sector during the war.  It was discovered though that several modifications had been made. 

* The radiator was from an entirely different plane, didn't fit in the original space and was jury-rigged to work in the D-7 airframe. 

* The cowling was made of wood with painted on louvers.

* More modern metal spars replaced the wood spars in front of the cockpit.

* The engine was a much more recent Mercedes engine, not the original.

* The 'Gotha' bomber used in the film was actually a Sikorsky S-29-A as apparently no actual Gotha's survived the war (?) or the wrath of the European Allied Nations.

It's often amazing what you learn when researching a skin.

Edited by Beebop
  • Upvote 2
Beebop

Here's the next WIP in the series...

Hells Angels 2

Hells-Angels-2.jpg

• Upvote 1
Beebop
Posted (edited)

HELL'S ANGELS FINALS

Schemes used for the Fokker D.VII's in Howard Hughes 1930 film, "Hell's Angels."

Lt. Von Bruen's Plane:

Hells-Angels-D7-Leader.jpg

Plane 2, Diagonal Stripes:

Hells-Angels-D7-2.jpg

Colors based on version the Vintage Aviation Historical Museum painted and provided for the original film

Plane 3, Generic:

Hells-Angels-D7-3.jpg

Skinpack upload within 24 hours.

DOWNLOAD LINK:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/75oey2gv2uf1b6j/BBop_Hells_Angels_FokD7.zip/file

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Beebop
Posted (edited)

ABOMINATION ALERT!

If you think that what I do to the planes in Great Battles is not what God intended, go to another post now.

Before proceeding. please check one of the following;

___   I wish to view skins that may spark my imagination to be fun to fly or at least look at.

___  I am a close-minded nitwit that thinks any skin not historical to the nth degree is a waste of time.
(If you check the above you will be automatically redirected to the "Living Well In Mom's Basement" homepage.

Presenting
Beebop's Jet Pack

Recently I made a few skins for one of the mission builders in the squad.  They are;

⚠️* A USAAF Captured Me-262:

1-US-Captured.jpg

An RAF Captured 262:

2-RAF-Captured.jpg

And a hack for a Korean War era F-9-F Cougar:

3-USN-F-9-F-Cougar.jpg

I have bundled these together with several other Me-262 hacks I have shown previously in this thread.

They include;

A shiny MiG-17 hack
A Russian captured 262
A hack of the U-2 spy plane
A hack of a USN A-4 Skyhawk from the early '60's

Screenshots of these skins are in previous posts in this thread.

⚠️😬 OOPS!

I saw the error on the USAAF skin of the Star-n-Bar on the wrong wing.  I have corrected that and replaced the skin.

My apologies.

Here is the corrected DOWNLOAD LINK:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qptih1pspjhh1f6/BBops_Jet_Pack.zip/file

Edited by Beebop