Star Wars: Squadrons

2 hours ago, messsucher said:

So it could be they try to "enchance" the experience of the player. Do you think it could be possible that making everyone under good AI could be too taxing for the system?

Could be the reason  for MP, but there are usually more good AI crafts in the SP campaign. So atleast for SP, i don't think it would be too taxing.

But i think the real reason why they differentiate between those very different AI levels, is their strict 5vs5 "elite" squadron idea. They want to focus on the 5vs5 experience and they dumb down the other AI so that not all AI crafts have the same good AI. The additonal AI is not supposed to have a real impact on the mission outcome.

Also btw, there's another TIE-Fighter variant being used by one of the characters in the prolog mission. Seems like a bit of a waste to create a complete model just for that, so i think there might still be a small possibility, that there'll atleast be a DLC with maybe one new craft for each side. Even though EA made it pretty clear, that no additional content is planned for the game. But then i also heard that the developers are already working on a different game.

• Thanks 1

I finally fixed an issue with my Quest and was able to hop into a TIE and an X-Wing.  Compared to Star Citizen, Squadrons is is much easier to set up my controls. I also found my joystick and rudder pedals much more responsive after I found in the options menu the joystick sensitivity sliders and pushed them up to 100%. I can now make myself dizzy in VR as I swing and spin through Star Wars space (something I can also do using vorpx to force VR in Star Citizen).

Say what you will about Star Citizen, which I find deeply frustrating after seven years of occasionally playing, then setting aside - it really is the the Best Damn Screenshot Maker Ever, and has spoiled me with its rich, detailed graphics, to the point that parts of Squadrons look relatively cheap.

But maybe that's what seven years in alpha will do 😛

Edited by Charlo-VR
Grammar

I'm also having a blast with this in VR. It runs very well with Reverb but performance is somehow choppy with monitor. 

But the menu controls with hotas are horrible. You need like 10 different buttons for choosing things in the menus.  

31 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah it is pretty awesome in VR.

For "awesome" read "bonkers".  There is a definite FPS run and gun vibe going on but with the added complexity of mixing in pitch/roll/yaw with targeting, auxiliaries (repair and missiles) and juggling the mix of weapons, engines and shields.

My tactic at the moment is to chase stuff until I am too far away from my squadron, then turn and run with maxxed out speed with the shields behind me.  Rinse and repeat.  For variety I aim at the BIG target and fire off my rockets, then get killed.

von Tom

The big problem with Squadrons is that the next time I'm in a plane my muscle memory is going to be shot to pieces and I'll be trying to overboost my Tempest whilst switching shields forward for a head on...

von Tom

• Haha 5

I have run into this odd issue that I also posted in the EA forums. Origin, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Oculus Quest, my controls work fine in 2D mode but after VR toggled on whenever I fire my primary weapon my X-Wing rotates down and to the right until I manually stop the movement.  Balance Shields/Reset Power also causes the same. Note both of these controls involve the mouse, though in my case I am using my HOTAS controls.

4 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

I have run into this odd issue that I also posted in the EA forums. .

I had something similar - whenever I used push-to-talk it emulates my middle mouse button as that’s what I use for FPSs. That would cause right and down yaw. In one of the options menus (possibly the Menu one)  I disabled mouse control. That fixed it. 

I hope that makes sense!

von Tom 

4 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

I have run into this odd issue that I also posted in the EA forums. Origin, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Oculus Quest, my controls work fine in 2D mode but after VR toggled on whenever I fire my primary weapon my X-Wing rotates down and to the right until I manually stop the movement.  Balance Shields/Reset Power also causes the same. Note both of these controls involve the mouse, though in my case I am using my HOTAS controls.

Yeah that is odd, can't say I have seen that with my setup.

8 hours ago, von_Tom said:

I had something similar - whenever I used push-to-talk it emulates my middle mouse button as that’s what I use for FPSs. That would cause right and down yaw. In one of the options menus (possibly the Menu one)  I disabled mouse control. That fixed it. 

I hope that makes sense!

von Tom

:salute:, @von_Tom, your suggestion led me to a solution. 

In the Options menu down in the "Mouse" section if I turn off "Allow Mouse Functionality" then my primary weapon button won't work.

However, if I leave turned on "Allow Mouse Functionality" and change the "Mouse Sensitivity" to 0% and the "Mouse Screen Motion Range" to 100% then I at least minimize to effectively zero any unwanted yawing/pitching motion when I fire my primary weapon.  So, a workaround but probably not what they intended.

5 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

:salute:, @von_Tom, your suggestion led me to a solution. 

In the Options menu down in the "Mouse" section if I turn off "Allow Mouse Functionality" then my primary weapon button won't work.

Good, but it is odd that your fire button will not work.  As well as being a trigger is it also mapped to a mouse control via a software profile?

If not, I suggest clearing out every single command that you do not use and making sure that the primary weapon trigger is assigned correctly.

The GUI is the worst pos I can recall in a game, and I have noted that sometimes when you assign a control it does not assign the correct controller.  For example, I have a Warthog grip plugged into a VIRPIL base.  The base counts as controller 1 and the grip as controller 4 (throttle and pedals as 2 and 3).  Sometimes I assign a grip button and it shows as controller 2.

von Tom

28 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

Good, but it is odd that your fire button will not work.  As well as being a trigger is it also mapped to a mouse control via a software profile?

If not, I suggest clearing out every single command that you do not use and making sure that the primary weapon trigger is assigned correctly.

The GUI is the worst pos I can recall in a game, and I have noted that sometimes when you assign a control it does not assign the correct controller.  For example, I have a Warthog grip plugged into a VIRPIL base.  The base counts as controller 1 and the grip as controller 4 (throttle and pedals as 2 and 3).  Sometimes I assign a grip button and it shows as controller 2.

von Tom

Yeah agreed, controller setup is pretty iffy at this time.

Patch coming later today, hope some of this gets addressed.

20 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

So, what has the patch addressed?

Didn't notice any difference, except for a bug that kicked me out of the game every time I died.  Solved by reducing the Volumetric VR setting to low.

von Tom

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

So, what has the patch addressed?

One thing it fixed the deadzone issue for the x and y axis on flight stick.

Sadly it did not address the no mouse cursor in VR.

Still using my X-Box controller to navigate the menus in VR.

Edited by dburne
2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I guess no fix for the rudder pedals?

What's wrong with them?

Mine and others work fine, though one of my squad mates loses them as a controller quite regularly (Vipil).

von Tom

13 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

What's wrong with them?

Mine and others work fine, though one of my squad mates loses them as a controller quite regularly (Vipil).

von Tom

Yeah no problem here with the Crosswind Pedals.

Took me some time and frustration though to get the Warthog throttle recognized properly.

The control mapping in this game leaves a lot to be desired and is the source of a lot of frustration for a lot of folks.

One thing I have learned if you are a  VR player, do not attempt to assign your HOTAS controls whilst running in VR.

Craziest thing I have ever seen - doing it in VR I would assign say button 10 to a certain function, well it would register in the game as say 

a POV-Right. There was no rhyme or reason to it.

Had to run the game in desktop mode to just be able to assign controls, and even then it could be iffy at times. Had to work with it being stubborn more than a 

time or two.

The above, along with no mouse cursor still in VR, are my two major gripes with this game.  Getting tired of having to fumble with

my X-Box controller to navigate the menus in the game.

Other than this, I am very much enjoying it. Still taking my time with it running practice sessions in each of the spacecraft to get

fully comfortable with it before starting a campaign. Plus trying to build up my muscle memory for the functions I do 

have assigned to my HOTAS.

Well I have spent the weekend flying a ton of practice missions, both for the Republic and the Empire to get comfortable with some of the ships.

Ran through the Fleet Battles tutorial today, and finally got to where we could destroy everything - it was a blast.

I am really liking this game now, well especially after getting through the hurdle of getting my controllers set up properly 

with the game - it was a major pain and I was about to say to heck with it. Glad I stuck with it.

I finally got buttons assigned on my HOTAS for navigating and clicking through all the menus. No mouse cursor in VR is a big pain, but this

gets around it for me. Was using my X-Box controller to do so, so nice not having to have that by my side now

And this game in VR is quite stunning.  I am running on Ultra settings and it is gorgeous.  Nothing like the feel of actually being in a X-Wing or Tie Fighter.

With the exception of the controller setup fiasco, and no mouse cursor in VR,  I would rank this game quite high. I was so ready to scrap this one over the controller setup fiasco.

I will be starting and running a Fleet Battles campaign against the AI in some upcoming days.

Not sure how  the  re-playability  will be for me as I will only want to do single player, hopefully it won't get too old to quick.

Need to get back to some IL-2 (my first love always) campaign flying as well.

So much to do, so little time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Everything about that looks cheesy, from the radio calls to (more importantly) the twitchy ship control/physics.

Hard pass.

Yeah. I read they have fun. But these videos did make my mind up not buying. 
I can not see myself enjoy it for a longer while. But I do enjoy watching some of them videos

On 10/12/2020 at 2:34 AM, dburne said:

And this game in VR is quite stunning.  I am running on Ultra settings and it is gorgeous.

While it is beautiful at times (apart from the chunky star background) I find that its performance on VR is not so good - with an i9/rtx2080/rift-s I find that no matter what preset will make ASW kick in and there's stuttering-a-plenty whenever there's action on screen. Seems to be related to resource loading or LOD swapping : for example in the very first intro mission if I fly around the imperial fleet I get a stutter every time I go near a ship/model for the first time, if I double back and fly near it again it's smooth. All the rest of the while it keeps GPU frametimes at around 10ms-12ms.

The same system can play it on ultra in 4K at 60fps (vsync), and I know you have to make some concessions for the overhead of VR but this is very oddly uneven.

Edited by Firdimigdi
5 hours ago, Firdimigdi said:

While it is beautiful at times (apart from the chunky star background) I find that its performance on VR is not so good - with an i9/rtx2080/rift-s I find that no matter what preset will make ASW kick in and there's stuttering-a-plenty whenever there's action on screen. Seems to be related to resource loading or LOD swapping : for example in the very first intro mission if I fly around the imperial fleet I get a stutter every time I go near a ship/model for the first time, if I double back and fly near it again it's smooth. All the rest of the while it keeps GPU frametimes at around 10ms-12ms.

The same system can play it on ultra in 4K at 60fps (vsync), and I know you have to make some concessions for the overhead of VR but this is very oddly uneven.

I have been mainly doing practice missions in the different ships to get familiar with all I need to know.

Yesterday I spend much time in the Fleet Battles tutorial.

So far my performance has been great , no stuttering or ghosting.

I will likely get into some single player Fleet Battles today and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I have been mainly doing practice missions in the different ships to get familiar with all I need to know.

I will likely get into some single player Fleet Battles today and see how it goes.

Is there good single player content outside of the campaign?

37 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Not that I am aware of.

There is Fleet Battles for MP which is 5 versus 5 plus AI.

Then there is Fleet Battles SP which is one against all AI.

You can also have Fleet Battles humans against AI from what I understand.

So for single player only, we just have Fleet Battles versus all AI.

Don't know how much re-playability it might hold.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, dburne said:

Ah those run OK here as well, it's the campaign stuff that seems to be more hard-hit by the loading stutter.

33 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Very disappointed. My joystick Warthog was not detected. I got a refund at the end

If it could interest you ... maybe take a look at Elite Dangerous ... it's on sale for an incredible price ... 80 percent discount.

It is all that Squadrons is not ... a (semi-)true sim, sandbox and training missions.

I have both games and love both, but I can assure you that the Awrthog works fine in E.D. !

Elite Dangerous is a gem ... I only tried it because of this sale though ... it will never ever leave my SSD (but neither will squadrons that I like as well for many other reasons) !

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I misspoke earlier.

Yes there is Fleet Battles which has a single player against ai mode.

But the campaign is separate, it is called the Story Mode.

I have just started that so can't speak too much on it yet, but looking pretty good to me from the start.