Star Wars: Squadrons

16 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Are You sure you're mapping the correct command? Just asking. At first I was slightly irritated by the different throttle setting commands. I'm away from my cockpit this evening so can't check which command is to bind with the throttle axis in order to get it to work properly. 

Yes I am sure, like I said it recognizes increasing no problem. Decreasing assignment is just below that one, it will not recognize throttle

being decreased at all and will not assign the axis properly. 

Edit: Ok so I have wasted this day and now have uninstalled this thing.

What a mess - and I was so dang excited for it.

Will sleep on it, maybe try again or maybe try and get Steam refund. Or see if a patch is forthcoming soon, I don't know. Just highly irritated now.

Edited by dburne
  • Sad 1

A few patches will make this one of the best arcade games ever! 

IMHO EA released this game a few weeks early. Would they have given the Devs and testers a little more time these login, controller and performance/stuttering issues would have been avoided! 

I am glad I got this, regardless of the fact it may never have trackir support. However the VR gameplay is reportedly very good!? 

39 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

However the VR gameplay is reportedly very good!? 

It's absolutely amazing! 

As I wrote, I was sitting with an idiotic smile in my cockpit and was totally happy. 

Long gone are the days, where DCS and GB gives me shivers in VR. As great as they are, I've got used to them. But sitting in an X-Wing in VR did something to me. Really. Believe it or not! 

And from a technical point of view:

it runs butter smooth. Only the absence of a mouse in the menus is annoying though... 

1 minute ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

please and if I have to disconnect all but 3 controllers. 

I was frightened, that the game may only recognize, say 3 controllers or so. I also would have hated to unplug stuff in Order to play the game. But this don't seem to be the case. I have 4 Controllers plugged in ( Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Pedals and a Saitek Throttle Quadrant plus JetSeat but this definitely won't work) and I had absolutely zero problems to assign stuff. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

was frightened, that the game may only recognize, say 3 controllers or so. I also would have hated to unplug stuff in Order to play the game. But this don't seem to be the case. I have 4 Controllers plugged in ( Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Pedals and a Saitek Throttle Quadrant plus JetSeat but this definitely won't work) and I had absolutely zero problems to assign stuff. 

Thanks man. Once I feel like it I will take a ride in this. Just not time for it yet. 
I do not mind arcade the little money spent should be worthit

33 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

It's absolutely amazing! 

As I wrote, I was sitting with an idiotic smile in my cockpit and was totally happy. 

Long gone are the days, where DCS and GB gives me shivers in VR. As great as they are, I've got used to them. But sitting in an X-Wing in VR did something to me. Really. Believe it or not! 

And from a technical point of view:

it runs butter smooth. Only the absence of a mouse in the menus is annoying though... 

I was frightened, that the game may only recognize, say 3 controllers or so. I also would have hated to unplug stuff in Order to play the game. But this don't seem to be the case. I have 4 Controllers plugged in ( Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Pedals and a Saitek Throttle Quadrant plus JetSeat but this definitely won't work) and I had absolutely zero problems to assign stuff. 

I have 4 controllers and the game actually recognized all four of them:

Warthog Throttle

Gunfighter Stick

Crosswind Pedals

CH Throttle Quadrant

Ok so on a whim I reinstalled the game.

I unplugged my extra CH Throttle Quadrant.

I then went in and set up the throttle, and this time the Warthog Throttle set up properly.

Finally all my controls are working.

After dicking around with this all freakin day, I finally got it working.

Will try now and get into the game tomorrow. Still ticked that there is no mouse cursor in VR but I can work around that I think.

Spent a short time in the tie fighter at the start of the story, it sure was gorgeous. 

Now I just gotta figure out what button assignments I will need to make. Looks like a lot of things in there that

can be assigned for sure.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Yeah it recognized my Crosswind Pedals and they work just fine - dburne

I can map one "yaw" left or right but not both.  

saiteks in my case.  Maped to number 3.

Is there any advantage when you have rudder pedals in this game ? Can you manouver better ?

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Is there any advantage when you have rudder pedals in this game ? Can you manouver better ?

I honestly don't know the answer to that of I can't map the controls the way I like. This is a known issue, as is described in a YouTube video posted above for control mapping.  Maybe dburne has his axis mapped separately like I'd map my brakes, but I don't know that.  That's a complete guess on my part.  I know I'm not the only one with this issue.  Oh well, lol back to il2 for some fun where I can map my yaw axis to my "rudder".  

This is an EA game, not only the company but also... Early Acces in fact! It should remind everyone that developing even Arcade games in 2020 and even by companies with almost unlimited resources is not easy. It all makes me appreciate Il-2 and DCS World even more. 

I never expected Star wars Squadrons to be a Sim of anything, except one of the star wars fictional saga. That is why I have no problem with how it is presented and executed. On his own right this new arcade title is a masterpiece that, with just a few patches, will get into the gaming hall of fame. I am sure of it! 

4 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

hmm looked at some gameplay, seems to arcadish with the aiming assist etc. Im sure it's great to be in there in VR but not sure I wanna spend money on it at all.

what do you mean by aiming assist? Sight changes Color when you are going to hit like in the original xvt game. But you have to lead your target. Hitbox is also as big as in xvt 😄

This is a "star wars" sim: as realistic as having sound in space, laser lower than lightspeed and so on.

So you take it to play as in movies, that's all. And it really do the job for that, at least in solo.

The only problem from that point of view is you can not crash on ships or tunnel walls. There are a lot of crash in movies, so they should have allowed it.

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok so on a whim I reinstalled the game.

I unplugged my extra CH Throttle Quadrant.

I then went in and set up the throttle, and this time the Warthog Throttle set up properly.

Finally all my controls are working.

After dicking around with this all freakin day, I finally got it working.

Will try now and get into the game tomorrow. Still ticked that there is no mouse cursor in VR but I can work around that I think.

Spent a short time in the tie fighter at the start of the story, it sure was gorgeous. 

Now I just gotta figure out what button assignments I will need to make. Looks like a lot of things in there that

can be assigned for sure.

I used target, it put thrustmaster combined at top of joylist...so nothing to unplug, and as only few commands/axis are needed it works without any program.

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, dburne said:

Yes I am sure, like I said it recognizes increasing no problem. Decreasing assignment is just below that one, it will not recognize throttle

being decreased at all and will not assign the axis properly. 

Edit: Ok so I have wasted this day and now have uninstalled this thing.

What a mess - and I was so dang excited for it.

Will sleep on it, maybe try again or maybe try and get Steam refund. Or see if a patch is forthcoming soon, I don't know. Just highly irritated now.

The game was designed in mind for controllers. Why not give it a try? You control the throttle with the left joystick of the Xbox controller, what is the difference?

I am not saying that the game is excellent, no. Its OK, but I would give it another chance if I were you.

1 hour ago, c6_lefuneste said:

This is a "star wars" sim: as realistic as having sound in space, laser lower than lightspeed and so on.

So you take it to play as in movies, that's all. And it really do the job for that, at least in solo.

The only problem from that point of view is you can not crash on ships or tunnel walls. There are a lot of crash in movies, so they should have allowed it.

I used target, it put thrustmaster combined at top of joylist...so nothing to unplug, and as only few commands/axis are needed it works without any program.

They can't really do that. The major player base would be very disappointed and complain "game is bad, I am constantly crashing on ships or tunnel walls".

9 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Yeah it recognized my Crosswind Pedals and they work just fine - dburne

I can map one "yaw" left or right but not both.  

saiteks in my case.  Maped to number 3.

No problem assigning my Crosswind Pedals to yaw left and yaw right.

Only issue I had was getting the throttle recognized for the throttle decrease axis, pulling the lever back and it recognizing it properly.

Not sure why the reinstall got it to work, could be cause I unplugged my CH Throttle Quadrant or could be was just a glitch that got straightened out.

8 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I have not flown much yet, seems to give a little better control for moving the ship around.

Edited by dburne

If you know what maximum rate turn means you will be the king of PvP deathmatch. I just set the throttle to the half way position and hold back on the stick until the guy appears in my sight and then blow him away. Folks try and do all this fancy stuff to get away but it never works. You cannot beat a guy who can turn faster than you, even the missiles can't do that which is just ridiculous. People playing with mouse or controller have no hope since turn radius is based on throttle position and holding a consistent pitch input, they're completely helpless against a HOTAS player and you can so clearly tell who is playing with what. If you can eyeball the best rate of turn with any degree of precision then getting any fighter off of your tail and in your gunsight is a piece of cake. I've found that the X-Wing is literally unbeatable if you figure out how to do this. I also divert all power to shields until I want to shoot or to engine if It's just a 1v1 and nobody is near enough to take shots at me.

As for Star Wars "sim" it's about as much of a "sim" as I am a banana. It's an arcade game with a cockpit texture in front. If you want a Star Wars sim, try the X series. flying a fighter in X3 SWLU mod with the Galaxy in Chaos addon is absolutely brutal. The SW mod for X4 lets you actually walk around your ship instead of some half-assed node system as well as having a more fleshed out single player galaxy to explore. So much of this game is clearly rung in that it's not funny. It's good fun blowing stuff up and the game is pretty though, I'll give it that much. Playing the campaign on Ace is reasonably challenging.

I would have added some kind of system where you have to be aware of the capacity of your inertial dampners in order to stay in controlled space flight. Riding the buffer between holding a rate turn  and not departing into a newtonian "spin" where you've gone outside of your dampener's ability to keep you in stable flight would have made the gameplay a lot more interesting and "sim" like.

Edited by Ace_Pilto
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Ace_Pilto said:

newtonian "spin" where you've gone outside of your dampener's ability to keep you in stable flight would have made the gameplay a lot more interesting and "sim" like.

Indeed, would assure your company to only sell maybe 5 percent of the copies EA can accomplish with this arcade SW game !

Doing a thing like that is not at all consistent with the Star Wars X-Wing ... shoot-once-kill-all Warbird saga ???

To me it was nice to learn EA sticked to the "IL-2 Warbird" way of atmospheric flight ... but in a space cartoonisch environment.

No mouse cursor in VR is a major PITB. 

I found my original X-Box wireless controller that I had gotten back when I got the Rift CV1. Got it paired up and am now able

to navigate the menus ok with it thank goodness.

Getting my controllers all set up has been a pain as well, I have all the axis assigned properly now. I am using 100% sensitivity on the stick as I use an extended Gunfighter Pro stick.

Now just got to figure out which commands I need to assign and what buttons to assign them to.

Flew a practice mission in the Tie Fighter, managed to get one X-Wing before the others destroyed me lol.

Time to get some buttons assigned.

I am running graphics on Ultra and it is gorgeous and my performance is good. It gives my CPU a good workout though based on my core temps whilst playing.

Pretty sure it makes good use of multi threading.

I think I am a ways off yet before feeling like I can competently fly a single player campaign.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Hey!  We have the same stick dburne!  Mine is an MCG pro.  -end of aside.

:good:

After the initial extreme frustration in getting my controllers set up in this game, now that I have them set up and doing some practicing I am really

enjoying this one. I mean it is Star Wars after all!

I still don't get a mouse cursor in VR with the Steam Version, I was able to pair up my X-Box wireless controller that came with my original Rift and am

able to use it in the game to navigate the menus. Not ideal solution but it works for now. Hopefully this will be addressed in a patch at some point.

I am finding the fighting to be very challenging, been doing some practice missions in the Tie Interceptor against a flight of X-Wings.

Pretty much getting my butt handed to me but starting to score some kills at least. I need to come to grips with power management.

I don't feel anywhere ready yet for some single player campaign action.

Running on Ultra settings and it is gorgeous for sure.

Are you guys having HOTAs problems with it? Been seeing videos claiming there is an innate 50% deadzone on them (unfixable until a patch if it comes).

Here is one:

Edited by Redwo1f

...well I have no idea, that's why I asked as I have seen it mentioned elsewhere too. Just looking for some sort of confirmation - just mulling over buying it, waiting on it, or saving the money... Thanks for any info and experience :)

Edited by Redwo1f
2 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

...well I have no idea, that's why I asked as I have seen it mentioned elsewhere too. Just looking for some sort of confirmation - just mulling over buying it, waiting on it, or saving the money... Thanks for any info and experience :)

Well yesterday after spending a good part of the day trying to set up my controllers I was regretting buying it.

Now that I have them set up and getting into the game, I am glad I kept it.

Will see how I do as I progress along, sure having fun today though.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Are you guys having HOTAs problems with it? Been seeing videos claiming there is an innate 50% deadzone on them (unfixable until a patch if it comes).

As I understand, the game put a 20% deadzone on DirectX X and Y axis, that you cannot remove even with deadzone to 0 in settings...The workaroud is to use other DX axis, as XROT and YROT, so you need to remap your joystick axis to these ones.

Should be done easilly with Target. I will try. I did notice something weird in plane control, but did not realize this was a deadzone problem.

• Thanks 2
48 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

As I understand, the game put a 20% deadzone on DirectX X and Y axis, that you cannot remove even with deadzone to 0 in settings...The workaroud is to use other DX axis, as XROT and YROT, so you need to remap your joystick axis to these ones.

Should be done easilly with Target. I will try. I did notice something weird in plane control, but did not realize this was a deadzone problem.

Hopefully they will address that in a patch.

I am seriously having a blast with this thing today, and still much to learn.

1 hour ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

Really disturbing fake poison cloud horizon in the second video and annoying as fuck meteor maze cliche in the first video. Just no. Would seriously rather play even the original X-Wing. Not to speak of the remake.

Found a cheap key and took the risk and bought it.

The good:

-Campaign reasonably long and entertaining*. Took me around 8 hours to finish all 14 missions (+Prolog mission) on highest difficulty setting. I had to go down to second highest on a couple of occasions. It should be possible to finish in roughly half the time though on lower diffculty settings and if you skip all optional conversations.

-Switching between New Republic and Empire works great and imho, it works much better than splitting the campaigns of between both factions. It really keeps the story together. Also New Republic guys are good guys and Empire guys are all evil assholes, which is good.

-Music and sound is perfect. Everything sounds great, from the well known music, to the actual ingame effects and voice acting.

-Graphics are very good. I'm not sure what they did exactly between the first gameplay videos and final game, but it looks really good now. Maybe still looks a tiny bit too colorful, but not by much.

-Cockpits look fantastic. Should be even better with VR.

-Flight model feels right (they upped the speed of all fighters by roughly 30% since the gameplay videos).

-Very smart mouse+keyboard control (probably best i've experienced, outside of first person shooters).

-Really good performance (i run it maxed out at 3440x1440), have not checked FPS, but it's more than fast enough.

-Balancing seems to be really good, between both factions and between each type of craft.

-Almost no need for grinding. For instance, during the campaign i very rarely chose a different hull, shield or engine for my craft instead of the default one (and often regretted doing that). Only exception being the bombers, which by default are not suited for attacking bigger ships and need upgrades for more powerful payloads.

-Team deathmatch MP mode pretty fun, but it might become repetitive very quickly.

-HUD unnecessary (i switched of all HUD messages before i started playing and i'm not missing anything).

-Some cool gameplay improvements from the previous games, for instance, TIEs have a very smart way of shifting weapon energy to engine energy and vice versa. It's basically off-setting the lack of shields on their craft and makes them feel pretty unique and flexible.

The bad:

-Game didn't recognize my throttle. But it also has a hard coded death zone for the joystick axis, so HOTAS was out of the question anyway for me. So overall, pretty bad HOTAS and joystick support.

-Campaign characters not very interesting (besides one guy called Shen on the Empires side, who is kind of entertaining) and overall very stereotypical and not memorable at all.

-*Mission objectives during each campaign mission pretty repetitive (the objectives vary between missions, but during each mission, you're often tasked with the doing the same thing over an over).

-Enemy AI usually just focusses on you and leaves your buddies alone.

-MP seems to be unstable (only tried MP a couple times, but half the time lost connection and with that all progress). Might be a problem on my end, but i kind of doubt it.

-Fleet battle mode doesn't work well imho. Mostly caused by anti-fighter Corvettes/Raiders spawning randomly, which can easily kill a whole player squadron, especially if the other side defends that Corvette/Raider. Feels completely unbalanced to me. I think a MP mode with 10vs10 players (or more), were one side is a attacking a capital ship (or station or whatever) and the other side is just defending, would work much better. Or just add a mission editor and let player setup missions.

-MP maps are all pretty crowded (asteroid fields, space station etc.). Atleast the possibility of having a map with just empty space around would've been nice.

-No offline quick battle mode (you can practice alone against enemies or use fleet battle against AI, but that's it).

-Not possible to turn your head around fully without using free-look (which prevents you from flying the craft at the same time, if you're using mouse+keyboard control) or without VR. 

So overall, i would recommend it for the SP campaign, if you're OK with getting ~8 hours of gameplay from it. But i don't think it will have a future as a MP game in the long run, until pretty big changes and/or additions are made to the MP modes.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Goodness I have close to 8 hours just practicing with the Tie Fighter and Interceptor. Have not even begun a campaign yet.

I am using my HOTAS setup ok with it. It was a royal pain in the butt to get set up properly though.

I must be getting very slow in my old age...

:wacko:

Edited by dburne
18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Goodness I have close to 8 hours just practicing with the Tie Fighter and Interceptor. Have not even begun a campaign yet.

I am using my HOTAS setup ok with it. It was a royal pain in the butt to get set up properly though.

I must be getting very slow in my old age...

:wacko:

Yeah I'm just learning the ships, not even started campaign yet! I think it will take me weeks to get through it, which is pretty good value for what I paid.

14 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

Unless I missed something, but I haven't found a way to look behind, is there a way?

Only way i know is to use free-look. Hit "L" and then you can look around with the mouse.