Star Wars: Squadrons

8 minutes ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Clickable cockpits are not included and the absence of TrackIR is something I miss painfully

Dunno whether clickable cockpits would be really usefull/truly needed in a fast-paced arcade-game like this. Might be interesting though.

Missing TrackIR is something I do not understand ... it again proves this is an Arcade game at its roots.

But there is nothing wrong with being an arcade game ... given the flight-sim-like nature of this it could even draw simmers into it and, more importantly IMHO also arcade-oriented-gamers getting more into sims !  

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

I cannot understand the criticism. Clickable cockpits are not included and the absence of TrackIR is something I miss painfully (although I hope it will find its way into the game one way or another). Nevertheless I had a lot of fun with it the last 5+ hours and the micromanegement was much more than in Il-2, which made the battles in the singleplayer so far quite interesting. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet, but I will probably do that tomorrow. The HUD and the markers can also be switched off if you like, which makes it much more immersive. You can try it at EA Access (or whatever they call it) for 5$ to see if it works for you and if not, so be it.

Yeah I wish they had included controller support for VR, but at least it does support HOTAS.

I have a feeling where this is really shine is in Fleet Battles in MP. I am only going to do SP so will see how I like it.

Just got home from golf so going to install shortly and try and get my stick, throttle, and pedals set up.

I am too big a Star Wars fan to not give this a good go.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

get with the times and get a VR headse

Yes indeed, especially for a VR-arcade-type of game like this a headset is even more usefull as we have to bind less keyboard commands.

(imagine ... many using VR with Star Wars / Squadrons already complained their joysticks/HOTAS had too few buttons :-))  

Voice Attack comes in handy, especially in VR,  although the pace in this game is maybe a bit too high for it. 

Edited by simfan2015

Man trying to get set up, does not appear to be a clean way to exit the game, at least not that I have seen so far but just

trying to get things set up. Don't even see a menu to assign controllers.

Maybe I should get a little further into it.

13 minutes ago, dburne said:

Man trying to get set up, does not appear to be a clean way to exit the game, at least not that I have seen so far but just

trying to get things set up. Don't even see a menu to assign controllers.

Maybe I should get a little further into it.

Menu for controllers is  along the top, customise controllers (or something) it's not very intuitive.Took me a few minutes to work that out, same as exiting.
Not sure if 3 controllers work, I have my virpil stick and GVL throttle working, but not assigned all the buttons yet, nor set up my Rift. Didn't plug the crosswinds in. Tried a bit of the career (died) then practise (under the multiplayer options) X wing is a hell of a lot easier to fly than a TIE fighter lol!
From the couple of hours I spent in game, it is a huge amount of fun and I'm very glad I bought it. 

Edited by Archie
2 minutes ago, Archie said:

Menu for controllers is  along the top, customise controllers (or something) it's not very intuitive.Took me a few minutes to work that out, same as exiting lol.
Not sure if 3 controllers work, I have my virpil stick and GVL throttle working, but not assigned all the buttons yet, nor set up my Rift. Didn't plug the crosswinds in. Tried a bit of the career (died) then practise (under the multiplayer options)
From the couple of hours I spent in game, it is a huge amount of fun and I'm very glad I bought it. 

Thanks, I will keep looking LOL.

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

Dunno whether clickable cockpits would be really usefull/truly needed in a fast-paced arcade-game like this. Might be interesting though.

Missing TrackIR is something I do not understand ... it again proves this is an Arcade game at its roots.

But there is nothing wrong with being an arcade game ... given the flight-sim-like nature of this it could even draw simmers into it and, more importantly IMHO also arcade-oriented-gamers getting more into sims !  

1 hour ago, QB.Creep said:

who needs TrackIR support? get with the times and get a VR headset ;)

They were probably thinking the same thing as QB.Creep here. TrackIR is pretty niche stuff, MSFS 2020 almost didn't have support for it.

Space combat star wars style is always going to be arcade, because none of it makes sense from a realism perspective. For example, none of the weapons systems employed on any of these spacecraft are more effective than WWII armaments, in some cases less so. It's space opera. I think it has been built to appeal to those who want a fast-paced space combat game and those who are into shooters.

• Upvote 1

I am about ready to throw in the towel on this darn thing. I sure can't figure out how to set up a controller.

Mouse cursor shows on monitor, but not in VR making it very damn difficult to do anything..

Clunky as hell.

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am about ready to throw in the towel on this darn thing. I sure can't figure out how to set up a controller.

Mouse cursor shows on monitor, but not in VR making it very damn difficult to do anything..

Clunky as hell.

Check the video I just posted above.

I‘m not sure what you guys expected - as no one ever would create a space craft like a tie or x-Wing there is no way to make this realistic. 

However having played the first tie mission of the campaign I felt this as plausible in universe as xvt back then. 

I like the presentation, find vr very immersive and enjoyed my first dogfight - I’ll have to fiddle a little with controls until I‘m satisfied but this I have with every flight game. 

For me personally money as well spent as for Bodenplatte :)

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Clunky as hell.

You can configure your controller to navigate the menu. Until you did that, use 2d. (For the Setup I mean)

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Well, glad I didn't buy it... if problems, gameplay etc get improved, trackIR added in the future, I may get it in a sale.

To each his own, but price aside if it's not worth my time now, then it's not worth my time later.

10 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

To each his own, but price aside if it's not worth my time now, then it's not worth my time later.

You keep wasting your time in the thread though... ;)

8 minutes ago, Thad said:

The video showcases the games convoluted and buggy controller setup mess. ☹️

It does, and how to get it set up (apart from that yaw problem, which I don't have as I am using buttons on my virpil stick currently)
To be honest I struggle setting up any game that is not il2, as I am so used to that. Even DCS I find a complete PIA. I'm willing to put some time in for this one though, as so far it's been great fun even with basic controls set.

Edited by Archie
2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I really wanted another good Star Wars game.

This is for me, really enjoying it, but then I needed something that was not WW1,WW2, or jets, totally burned out on that currently. I haven't played anything for months until today.

Edited by Archie
  • Upvote 1

Ok I am  making a little progress here, think I got some controls assigned.

In my case it is recognizing my throttle up, but not throttle down it seems.

Still got to figure out how to get a mouse in VR.

The controller setup menu is absolutely horrid.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I‘m not sure what you guys expected - as no one ever would create a space craft like a tie or x-Wing there is no way to make this realistic. 

However having played the first tie mission of the campaign I felt this as plausible in universe as xvt back then. 

I like the presentation, find vr very immersive and enjoyed my first dogfight - I’ll have to fiddle a little with controls until I‘m satisfied but this I have with every flight game. 

For me personally money as well spent as for Bodenplatte :)

You can configure your controller to navigate the menu. Until you did that, use 2d. (For the Setup I mean)

Can you advise me in layman's terms how to get the mouse cursor working in VR?

I am really struggling here.

Well looks like somehow I got most my axis working, cept throtte.

It only goes from 50% to 100%. When I was trying to assign decrease throttle it was not recognizing the axis.

Still can't use mouse in VR though, so I am still pretty frustrated.

Inside that full size tie fighter is pretty cool though.

You can't map yaw to an axis right now either.  This needs a patch.

Edit:. Ok some axis work and some don't.  At least not the way you would think.  It's all very weird and sadly I'm going to have to muck with controller settings.  Probably works great with an Xbox controller....

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Sitting here with a stupid but totally happy grin on my face. 😄

I've expected nothing but got absolutely blown away. This I was waiting for since ages, since the X-Wing games back then. 

Sure, once the honeymoon is over and I got used to it, it may not engage me like DCS or GB because there is not much content besides the short campaign. 

But for now I'm so sucked into this game. Sitting in those A-Wings and TIEs in VR is just indescribable. I feel like the child again who was watching in awe the trenchrun in Episode IV back then. 

Dammit that they didn't just made this something like X-Wing 2.0....

I fear when the campaign is over there is not much left to do because the MP experience seems to be a little bit thin. 

And I miss my B-Wing! Instead they gave us this abomination... W-Wing or how is it called? 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I got a lot of gadgets connected if this need to disconnect all but 3 I am out. This is why I do not fly old IL 2

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
1 hour ago, JG51_Beazil said:

You can't map yaw to an axis right now either.  This needs a patch.

Edit:. Ok some axis work and some don't.  At least not the way you would think.  It's all very weird and sadly I'm going to have to muck with controller settings.  Probably works great with an Xbox controller....

I got roll, pitch and yaw set up just fine for my stick and pedals.

Throttle I am struggling with, I can get 50-100% but not below.

And still can not get a mouse cursor in VR which is a royal pain in the tail.

The game looks fantastic once in it , just can't get things set up right for me yet.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, dburne said:

And still can not get a mouse cursor in VR which is a royal pain in the tail.

Same problem here. Navigating with keyboard blindfolded or Hotas buttons in the menus is not very convenient. I hope they fix this asap. 

Besides this I had zero trouble setting up my Warthog and MFG Pedals and mapping the buttons. Works like a charm. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
22 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Same problem here. Navigating with keyboard blindfolded or Hotas buttons in the menus is not very convenient. I hope they fix this asap. 

Besides this I had zero trouble setting up my Warthog and MFG Pedals and mapping the buttons. Works like a charm. 

It supports rudder pedals? 😲

29 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

I am giving up for  now, so dang frustrating.

I just can't get the throttle to work properly, and this not having mouse cursor in VR is killing me.

Tempted to try to refund from Steam.

10 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

It supports rudder pedals? 😲

Yeah it recognized my Crosswind Pedals and they work just fine.

Is the mouse cursor not working for others in VR?

Just now, Blooddawn1942 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't get frustrated and try another day. It's worth the effort imho and it has to work. 

As I said, I had no trouble assigning the axes. 

Your Warthog throttle axis was able to set up properly?

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Can you advise me in layman's terms how to get the mouse cursor working in VR?

I am really struggling here.

Not at all - but you can HOTAS keys to navigate the menu - I use the coolie hat, trigger and three more keys to do stuff in the menu - alternatively you can run in 2d and switch to vor after the mission started. 

Well I think I have given up for the day.

So far this has been a travesty on my end. 

Controller setup is a freaking nightmare and no excuse for no mouse cursor while in VR.

Not sure how I can get this throttle to work properly.

I have spent most of the day dicking around with this mess.

I think they have some major issues with this one.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, dburne said:

It will recognize the increase axis on my throttle, but not the decrease assignment. I have tried it fast, slow, and in between.

Are You sure you're mapping the correct command? Just asking. At first I was slightly irritated by the different throttle setting commands. I'm away from my cockpit this evening so can't check which command is to bind with the throttle axis in order to get it to work properly.