BlackSix

Star Wars: Squadrons

1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Why? I find the idea interesting. 

Why?... I'll tell you why.

For the same reason why the campaign in Star Wars Battlefront 2 was crap as well.

I thought that it would be great to finally be able to be a member of the Empire battling against rebel forces and the jedi... only to find out that part of the way through the campaign, the lead character changes sides and joins the rebels... It caused a shit storm of protests and ruined the game for many... the forums were up in arms about it.

For me, it is yet another blow to immersion for what I would like in a Star Wars game... fair enough for others that don't give a hoot one way or another, but yet again, EA as usual in all their games find a way to piss people off...

I agree that bf2 campaign was crap - especially as the empire perspective was clearly advertised. 
And I find The usual portrayal of changing sides often disturbing. While I find it absolutely believable that someone stops fighting for a cause he finds out to be wrong - if you can slaughter your former brethren in arms you trained and fought with for years without any feeling of guilt you are a psychopath. But tell that to Fin in ep7. ^^

But if you create characters for both sides from the start it could be cool. And both your alter egos could meet - they could make an interesting plot with this. Hope they will :)

29 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I thought that it would be great to finally be able to be a member of the Empire battling against rebel forces and the jedi... only to find out that part of the way through the campaign, the lead character changes sides and joins the rebels...

EA may have cut a few corners rolling the both sides into one campaign?? 

I agree with you, it would have been much better for the players having two separate campaigns, (being one campaign for each side).

Maybe the pri$e had something to do with their decision?

11 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Maybe the pri$e had something to do with their decision?

I find it strange that the price is only £34.99 for a brand new SW game, yet, Jedi-Fallen Order is still £54.99... (standard game versions).

Star Wars games have a huge following, yet EA have priced this pretty low.

It will probably be half a game on release which will then require a " season pass" like all their other games to add more content. 

• Upvote 1

Hmm not crazy about the switching sides thing but will still be getting this one on day 1.

Because it is Star Wars and VR.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I find it strange that the price is only £34.99 for a brand new SW game, yet, Jedi-Fallen Order is still £54.99... (standard game versions).

Star Wars games have a huge following, yet EA have priced this pretty low.

I guess a flight game isn’t marketable at full price?

1 hour ago, Tyberan said:

It will probably be half a game on release which will then require a " season pass" like all their other games to add more content. 

they said that’s not the plan - we‘ll see ^^

My guess the lower price is for a very short single play campaign...I'm not expecting much. Battlefront 2 had a very short campaign too.

Do we know how many "maps" will ship with the game for multiplayer? I'm guessing there aren't too many.

I'll hold out till this game is on sale.

I was getting a little interested, but I am old slow, liking heavy slow planes. Sitting there with a super maneuverable little light super powered unlimited ammo lazerbeam equipped fighter with no fm restriction , doomed to fight kids with overly developed sense of tactical awareness and super reflexes on multiplayer because the developer cheaped out on SP campaign 

3 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Do we know how many "maps" will ship with the game for multiplayer? I'm guessing there aren't too many.

It's supposed to be released with 6 maps.

I just can't see how this will be successful online. 2 game modes, 6 maps, 8 crafts (basically 4 mirrored, atleast their stats don't really differ much), 10 players.

I'm still a bit hopeful for the single player campaign, but also worried that those same 6 maps will be used in SP as well. But as long as it's a ~7-8 hours campaign, i might still buy it before it is on sale. I'll just wait for the reviews.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:24 PM, Trooper117 said:

Why?... I'll tell you why.

For the same reason why the campaign in Star Wars Battlefront 2 was crap as well.

I thought that it would be great to finally be able to be a member of the Empire battling against rebel forces and the jedi... only to find out that part of the way through the campaign, the lead character changes sides and joins the rebels... It caused a shit storm of protests and ruined the game for many... the forums were up in arms about it.

For me, it is yet another blow to immersion for what I would like in a Star Wars game... fair enough for others that don't give a hoot one way or another, but yet again, EA as usual in all their games find a way to piss people off...

Yeah I've wanted another good Star Wars game for a long time, but I've given up hope.

I'm just going to assume that this next one is going to be shit. If it's not, then pleasant surprise I guess.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

doomed to fight kids with overly developed sense of tactical awareness and super reflexes on multiplayer because the developer cheaped out on SP campaign 

🙂 I couldn't help but cry with laughter about how true this appears to be.. In the future, it will be..  

I don't think this new Star Wars game will be as deep and rewarding as IL-2.

It simply cannot be because its combat is too chaotic, and therefore random. And as is the case with any such random gameplay: it results in players who are not sufficiently rewarded for their hard-learned skills, because too much depends on a simple toss of a coin. This lack of a learning-curve can kill a motivation to play in the long run.

That's why I like slower paced WW2 sims because they give you sufficient time to plan and execute your moves. Such planning, being the opposite of chaotic and twitchy Star Wars combat, is also inherently rewarding when you manage to execute it properly and consistently. So you keep coming back to the sim.

Also in WW2 your individual flight manoeuvres must make logical sense, as part of a broader sequence of rock/paper/scissor manoeuvres, that are grounded in intuitively understood aerodynamics. Particularly in 1-1 combat it is akin to playing by a set of fair rules for both an attacker and a defender.

There is nothing like that in Star Wars universe, as it is not grounded in commonly understood reality, but in whatever flawed, shallow system was made-up for each Star Wars game, without consideration of energy management or even Newtonian physics.

So it looks like for me this new Star Wars game will be a short-lived diversion at best. And to boot: it doesn't even have TrackIR support.

Edited by WheelwrightPL

I don't think anyone was trying to compare this game with IL2... It's in the Free Subject/Other Games area.

It's mainly aimed at attracting Star Wars fans and what they think a new Star Wars game will be like... Most here will have played the original Tie Fighter, X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance many years ago and if they are anything like me they would love to see something comparable in a modern Star Wars space combat game.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I don't think anyone was trying to compare this game with IL2... It's in the Free Subject/Other Games area.

It's mainly aimed at attracting Star Wars fans and what they think a new Star Wars game will be like... Most here will have played the original Tie Fighter, X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance many years ago and if they are anything like me they would love to see something comparable in a modern Star Wars space combat game.

Exactly this

You hit it Hoots that's all we want. Those old games we grew up playing with better graphics and more people playing online together. Loved the mission structure in those games.

Yeah I know they make X Wing Upgrade and mods now but I want a game that's easy to install and play that's modern that has all that old school feel. Not sure I'm gonna get that with this new game but worth a shot in VR on sale for me.

9 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Most here will have played the original Tie Fighter, X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance many years ago and if they are anything like me they would love to see something comparable in a modern Star Wars space combat game.

Absolutely.. 

With all the money I've been saving not going to the movies, I expect to get at least $40 of entertainment from this title. Plus, it's another use of my gaming machine which I otherwise only use for IL-2, and only in VR nowadays

I have a google alert set up for Squadrons - been following the news closely. Everything I have seen about it has been exactly what I had hoped it would be. I pre-ordered it awhile ago - very much looking forward to next Friday! If you haven't seen the CG movie yet, check that out here: 

• Like 1