Jump to content
BlackSix

Star Wars: Squadrons

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

HOTAS and VR will make it interesting although gameplay may be too arcade. 

Definitely will keep an eye on it.

 

Agreed, probably it will be more arcady than any of us here like since it will also support cross play with PS4 and Xbox, which of course means supporting their controllers (and a fanbase that can be... toxic).  I figure I will eagerly enjoy SW Squadrons for awhile, since it should be actually playable, as opposed to Star Citizen, but always return to IL-2 BoX and FC to be truly satisfied

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

on a Screen TIR will be completely useless gameplay wise ^^

 

I'll be the judge of that if you don't mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I'll be the judge

You quoted me a little out of context - but of course I might have missed something.

 

What gameplay advantage do you think TIR would offer in a TIE Fighter?

 

I won't debate that TIR could add to immersion even in a TIE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

You quoted me a little out of context - but of course I might have missed something.

 

What gameplay advantage do you think TIR would offer in a TIE Fighter?

 

I won't debate that TIR could add to immersion even in a TIE.

You are totally right no advantage in a TIE.  It would be all for the immersion, which for me is a huge thing. Just couldnt go back to a fixed head position, feels so unnatural now. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i still prefer mouse panning, if it had mouse panning of view i might look at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnHolmes said:

Just couldnt go back to a fixed head position, feels so unnatural now.

I absolutely get that - same for me with VR now. That's why I can't enjoy COD, IL2 46 und BoB2WoV enjoy as I used to anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Every bit of info gets me hyped more :)

 

Yeah but I don't want to get hyped in case it's no good. I really want this game to be as good as the old xwing and tie fighter games were. I was hoping that at 49 I might have grown out of it by now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoots said:

 I was hoping that at 49 I might have grown out of it by now...

 

You can forget that... I've been mad on Star Wars since the original films came out.

I'm in my 60's now and have no intention of growing out of it!  :yahoo:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

 

You can forget that... I've been mad on Star Wars since the original films came out.

I'm in my 60's now and have no intention of growing out of it!  :yahoo:

yep - snap - and there is only one way out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest round of previews by so called "game changers" EA shills was a harsh dose of reality for me: I fell for the doctored trailers once again but was brought back to earth in no time.

What those shills showed was the gameplay that was nothing close to the original EA trailers: no sense of speed, choppy framerates, and to rub salt into wound: a gamey looking HUD (if they want HUD it should look like it belongs in Star Wars universe, and not like it was copied straight from a Windows phone).

Maybe it will improve if they show HUD-less gameplay, but I already see that EA-designed cockpits are so barebone that if you opt for HUD-less mode, you will be at a disadvantage because you'll be missing on a lot of vital information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dam it, it's Star Wars, decided to Pre-Order.

No third person view/micro transactions from what I understand to date, is a good thing. ✔️ 👍🤞🙂✌️

Unlocks = yes, but that's not going to be a deal breaker. Hopefully the maps aren't to small. 🤞

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great Star Wars games are as common as great aviation films.  I’ll be waiting to see the reviews first.  

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boomerang said:

 decided to Pre-Order.

 

Never ever do that, unless you know what you pay for. Last time I preordered an EA game was BF4 in 2013 and that was released in a borderline state. It took them 12 month to fix it. Everything what came after that was XXXX (you decide)...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sevenless said:

Last time I preordered an EA game was BF4 in 2013 and that was released in a borderline state

I hear you, I did that as well, never purchased the second release. If this title's outcome is similar, it will sit on the self, so to speak, until it's optimized. Thanks for input, it's good advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Great Star Wars games are as common as great aviation films.  I’ll be waiting to see the reviews first.  

I beg to differ ^^

 

This millenium great star wars games:

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast;

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy;

Knights of the old Republic I+II;

Empire at war;

The Star wars battlefronts (all four of them) were good MP shooters if you are into that - at least after they revised the Lootbox BS in the latest title;

Jedi fallen Order

 

I dare you to name 10 great avation movies from this millenium ^^

 

4 hours ago, sevenless said:

 

Never ever do that, unless you know what you pay for. Last time I preordered an EA game was BF4 in 2013 and that was released in a borderline state. It took them 12 month to fix it. Everything what came after that was XXXX (you decide)...

I completely understand - when I preordered Borderlands 3 I was utterly disappointed to find out that splitscreen mode was in a state barely playable, as that mode was the sole reason for me to buy...

 

Decided never to preorder again - but revised that decision for Ghost of Tsushima, which I haven't regret a second so far.

 

Motive lets people already play - so release date is propably realistic, everything I read about the game sounds more X-Wing vs. TIE-Fighter then Rouge Squadron and will have SP and Bot Battles, VR and we can see already stunning graphics...

 

And all for 40 bucks - I'm looking hard for a reason not to preorder... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was really excited when it was first announced, more so than for most other games in the recent years. I'm a fan of the original Star Wars movies and played a lot of Tie-Fighter and X-Wing Alliance and also a bit of X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter in the past (in addition to Dark-Forces/Jedi-Knight, KotoR etc.).

 

But even the fleet battle MP mode (which seems to be the main selling point) looks so repetitive. I could barely watch 5 minutes of the gameplay videos without getting bored. It feels slow, sluggish, chaotic and seriously limited. I also don't understand the decision to limit it to 5 vs 5. There'll be AI fighters around anyway in fleet battles, so you'll basically always fight against a relatively big number of enemies and just up to 5 of them are human. At the very least, they should've made it 8 vs 8 and gotten rid of some of the AI fighters.

 

The HUD looks messy and i guess it will be server option to have it enabled or not and not using the HUD is a huge disavantage from what i could tell. Also i guess there will just be very little reason to not use one of the interceptors or fighters, which further limits the already limited fighter set.

 

Ship movements look jerky, those star streaks effect (which however only seems to happen when close to clouds or asteroids or inside stations) just feels wrong and overall the whole game looks just too colorful to me. Of course that might still change until release, but i kind of doubt it.

 

I do like the flight modelling (from the looks of it) and their attempt to stay relatively close to canon, while still managing a balance that doesn't feel out of place. The cockpits also look pretty nice for the most part.

 

The only thing that keeps my interest, is the SP campaign, which according to some previews seems to be more fleshed than i expected. It seems to feature pretty big fleets with multiple Star Destroyers or Mon Calamari cruisers with escort frigates and corvettes etc. and it seem to switch between Rebel and Imperial side during missions, which could make things interesting.

 

But even if it's "just" 40 €, that's a bit steep for a maybe 4-5 hour SP experience with rudimentary MP mode.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The videos I watched made it seem that all the ships have their strong/weak points and team play and coordination are more important for victory then individual fighting power.

 

But SP campaign + „bot mode“ are the selling points for me mainly. I‘m thrilled. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre ordered yesterday, it's been many years since I've played a Star Wars game, and this one looks like fun.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I came from a Alien planet... because I have zero interest in "space games", even Start Wars movies lost their  appeal fast, stop seem then in the 4th or 5th.  😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is apparently not for me. Unlimited flight characteristic with no g restrictions even in a atmosphere. 
If I had a lot of time available, I rather use it to remove my toenails with a wrench 😬

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This is apparently not for me.

If I had a lot of time available, I rather use it to remove my toenails with a wrench 😬

Strangely enough this is exactly how I feel about MFS2020! We're all different eh! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of those games where I've seen so many videos about it before it has even been released as an alpha that I'm just switching off to it until it finally comes out. I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan but jeez do the clowns on Youtube know how to beat something into the ground. I've been playing the Star Wars mod for X3 a fair bit recently, for those who can't wait It's a pretty well made and actively serviced mod.

Edited by Ace_Pilto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Archie said:

Strangely enough this is exactly how I feel about MFS2020! We're all different eh! 

Well it was meant like a joke, but still never really gotten into space games. I did buy something from star citizen but never used it. 
I am not like too mature, more not really into it 

for 2020, I was not keen in start. Even sure I was not going to buy it. But fed up with Bodenplatte and DCS I waa desperate, and surprised about me liking it 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This is apparently not for me.

I was so looking forward to squadrons till I got confirmation that TrackIr will not be supported !!!

I am so sorry I preordered (at the time I got 5 EURO reduction because of steam sale).

Even at 34 EURO I would *not* have bought it if I knew it did not get TrackIr support ... to me this means it is DOA !

I will just wait until I get a Reverb G2 VR headset to fly in VR.

Flatscreen without TrackIr is so ... 1999.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Well it was meant like a joke, but still never really gotten into space games. I did buy something from star citizen but never used it. 
I am not like too mature, more not really into it 

for 2020, I was not keen in start. Even sure I was not going to buy it. But fed up with Bodenplatte and DCS I waa desperate, and surprised about me liking it 

TBH although I stupidly buy nearly everything that comes out for DCS and BoX, for all their technical brilliance I'm feeling a bit burnt out, not just with flight sims which I've been playing for  over 20 years now (I was in a squadron with you at one point I think flying 110's...) but with gaming in general. Obviously I've got older, but nothing is capturing the early days, mid 2000's of flight simming for me, so I want to try something else and see if that helps get me interested again.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well look at the design of the ships, how much are you going to see out the back/side of a Tie fighter realistically? I mean being set in  an age of space wizards and interstellar flight there's bound to be some technologically augmented sensory apparatus that negates the need for TrackIR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Archie said:

general. Obviously I've got older, but nothing is capturing the early days, mid 2000's of flight simming for me, so I want to try something else and see if that helps get me interested again.

With Farber ?

Yes I get your point. I wish I could find something. Its like loosing a old friend. 
or being homeless

Is this a VR thing btw? 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

With Farber ?

Yes I get your point. I wish I could find something. Its like loosing a old friend. 
or being homeless

Is this a VR thing btw? 

Yes Farber, there's a name from the past! 9./ZG26. Fun times
I like VR, tend not to play DCS in it as my system's not really up to it, hopefully it will be good in this game. It's not the main thing though, I still play in TiR most of the time anyway in BoX. 
Squadrons is a cheap enough game that it's worth a shot for me, and if it only holds my interest for a few hours then that's ok. Most of my expensive flight sim gear sits gathering dust most of the time. 

 

Edited by Archie
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archie said:

TBH although I stupidly buy nearly everything that comes out for DCS and BoX, for all their technical brilliance I'm feeling a bit burnt out, not just with flight sims which I've been playing for  over 20 years now (I was in a squadron with you at one point I think flying 110's...) but with gaming in general. Obviously I've got older, but nothing is capturing the early days, mid 2000's of flight simming for me, so I want to try something else and see if that helps get me interested again.
 

 

Sounds like a man in dire need of VR.

;)

 

In all seriousness I can understand, I had been flying many hours each week for the past few years.

Just recently added a wheel and pedal setup and got into some sim racing in VR. Nice change of pace and enjoying it.

Still though combat flight sims will always be my first love and get the bulk of my attention.

 

Really looking forward to Squadrons though. This one has me quite excited.

Had a lot of fun back in the x-wing versus tie fighter days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief... I've just found out that in the campaign you can't fly for one side or the other. :dash:

You play for both sides. You are taken through the campaign and are shifted from one side to the other as the game progresses... what are they thinking?

This just gets worse  :cray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Good grief... I've just found out that in the campaign you can't fly for one side or the other. :dash:

You play for both sides. You are taken through the campaign and are shifted from one side to the other as the game progresses... what are they thinking?

This just gets worse  :cray:

 

5 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Why? I find the idea interesting. 

I do like in GB to identify myself with the datapixel of a pilot. Changing sides is something I do in a separate campaign. 
But that is me. 
Ofcource this has now gone into my head. Just great, I am pretty sure I will get my ass handed over by a chubby young gamer if I go multiplayer. 

No way I will excell inthis against young minds with endless of time flying. 
But I bet I’ll try

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...