Star Wars: Squadrons

What flight physics Gambit21? Not truly Newtonian, that's for sure. Star War physics, Arcade physics? Yes ... Perfectly fine! :-)

If star wars Squadrons was about realism, then imho, it would have been utterly... Boring, but now it is just great like it turned out. But that is of course just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

How do you guys feel about the flight physics? Looks twitchy and unsatisfying in that department. Opinions?

I picked the game up in a sale. There is an arcade flight model of course. It follows the same “logic” as Elite Dangerous and I think Star Citizen, ie best rotation/roll speeds at 50% throttle. There is no logical explanation for this, but it makes it a bit more challenging. I do miss a “assist off” mode or at least some lateral thrust controls (or I could not find them?), but I think it’s perfectly fine for a game like this. Trackir works great and makes all the difference for non vr players.

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 2

How can we predict a flight model in outer space, with a propulsion power unknown to men?

Anyway, I would have enjoyed this no matter arcadian, if I had time. It simply is not that interesting that it make the list. But it is right in my alley once time allows, it seems

43 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Is it entirely playable without HUD ? (by this I mean can you get through the campaign, and be competitive online with HUD off)

Can you turn off individual HUD elements to your liking  ? How many are there ?

Do the rudder pedals give advantage ?

Didn’t play online but in campaign never missed any hud elements. I just turned all off - not sure wether you can pick single elements but I think yes. 
I don’t use pedals anymore. The yaw axis works so different compared to IL2 that I prefer it on joystick x-axis and roll on the rudder slider of my throttle. 
But you can map as you wish ;)

29 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Didn’t play online but in campaign never missed any hud elements. I just turned all off - not sure wether you can pick single elements but I think yes. 
I don’t use pedals anymore. The yaw axis works so different compared to IL2 that I prefer it on joystick x-axis and roll on the rudder slider of my throttle. 
But you can map as you wish ;)

I turned off the hud as well, though I've only played for a couple of sessions so far. The way they integrated the hud items into the cockpits is a really great touch for an "arcade" game like this. I really appreciate that they did that. Using the X-Wing cockpit to cycle through nearby targets and view the status of various ship systems was a great moment the first time I fired it up in VR.

As for the pedals, I have mine set up the same way as all aviation sims - yaw, while roll/pitch is the stick. I considered doing it your way for a bit, but wondered if that would confuse me for a minute every time I switched back and forth between this and aviation sims.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

As for the pedals, I have mine set up the same way as all aviation sims - yaw, while roll/pitch is the stick. I considered doing it your way for a bit, but wondered if that would confuse me for a minute every time I switched back and forth between this and aviation sims.

Haha - screwing up my muscle memory for actual sims was one of the reasons I chose to do it differently 😄

15 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Haha - screwing up my muscle memory for actual sims was one of the reasons I chose to do it differently 😄

Hah. It's like setting up the throttle for when I went through my helicopter phase in DCS. To most closely emulate a collective, up (more lift) is back on the throttle. That screwed me up for a period of time.

11 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Is AI challenging on max difficulty level ? Or it is just turkeyshoot of wave after wave of braindead drones ?

Are your wingmen actually useful ? Can you give them commands that they will execute ?

Yes - highest difficulty is challenging 

wingmen fight effectively - orders are limited but followed. (You can assign a target to attack/protect to all simultaneously) and you can ask for assistance. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, wheeliemonsta said:

For those who were looking for TrackIR support - I believe I saw it in the release notes for the latest patch.

EDIT: I see I'm very late to the party with this comment! :)

This game is finally playable with TrackIR support.

Also, it recognizes more than 4 devices plugged in. I have more than 4 due to flying DCS.

Played it again yesterday for the fist time since mid october, basically just to test the B-Wing and TIE Defender. They don't really change the game too much, even though both have unique abilities. The B-Wing is pretty much a more heavily armed and less maneuverable Y-Wing and the TIE Defender feels a bit like the X-Wing does. Overall they fit quite well into the game. Quality wise, they look about as good as the other craft (maybe the cockpit of the B-Wing is a bit less detailed than on the other craft, but that might just be my first impression). I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't sell them as DLC.

They also added a whole buch of options to customize the SP practice and MP mode. Now there are all sorts of modifiers to adjust speeds, hull, shields, timers and ways to lock ships or abilities (even though that doesn't seem to apply to AI, because they still seem to be able to choose locked ships) and the option to get rid of the "filler" AI fighters with simplistic AI. Also good to hear about TrackIR implementation, even though i've not tried it out yet.

I'm still not a fan of the fleet battle mode. It's just too restrictive and repetitive. But they definitely made changes in the right direction. If only they added some sort of quick mission builder.

Also they still have this performance bug, that occurs when flying close to capital ships for the first time or when spawning in a new craft. Pretty annoying that they have not fixed it yet.

But i'm tempted to have another go at the campaign.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.

However, here is a warning:

The game requires Windows 10.

I found this out after I bought it. It is the first game I've found that won't run on Windows 7 or Windows 8 (I have no idea and didn't expect this)! I ordered it through Epic which meant I could get a refund (I have doubts Steam would honour it). I have heard of some work arounds with Steam to get it working... but Epic appears to be attached to Origin - and the launcher prevents it from running. Anyway, somewhat disappointing.

today i laugh at a guy with an speech impedement i felt 14 again

am i returning to the dark side, what can i do to return to the dark side i miss my hate and scorn i had when i was young

what if joda lies?

hate.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 12/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, Avimimus said:

Thanks for the replies.

However, here is a warning:

The game requires Windows 10.

I found this out after I bought it. It is the first game I've found that won't run on Windows 7 or Windows 8 (I have no idea and didn't expect this)! I ordered it through Epic which meant I could get a refund (I have doubts Steam would honour it). I have heard of some work arounds with Steam to get it working... but Epic appears to be attached to Origin - and the launcher prevents it from running. Anyway, somewhat disappointing.

Why don't you up grade to windows 10? I believe you can still get it free if you have 7 and later. 

I was so disappointed when Squadrons launched without TrackIR support and with very poorly implemented HOTAS support.

Was pleased when the recent patch added that, and this weekend I've spent some time giving the game a second chance.

I'm so glad I did: all of the problems have been resolved. TrackIR works perfectly (you'll need to update your list of games, of course) and HOTAS support was very much improved. Completely playable, and so much more accessible that something like Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. Plus there's crossplay with Xbox and Playstation, so a much larger playerbase.

I'm hoping to get it into my regular rotation, has some cool and unique features, and should prove to be a good time.

Edited by DakkaDakkaDakka

Indeed Trackir support was a pleasant surprise! This sure is my only favourite star wars game. If only it would turn more into a kind of Sim in the sense the custom battle features get enhanced in a way we can set up more scenario's than fleet battles and dogfights! 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems as if squadrons would get an e-sports leauge this year...

Can't stop getting my hopes up this'll mean more content :)

Although it most certainly won't mean any more SP - which is a pitty. I'd love more of that campaign stuff...

2 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Seems as if squadrons would get an e-sports leauge this year...

Can't stop getting my hopes up this'll mean more content :)

Although it most certainly won't mean any more SP - which is a pitty. I'd love more of that campaign stuff...

Yeah I am with you there - I have done I think three play throughs of the campaign and I am sure I will do another before too long.