RaymondSte

One on one recommendations

I'm a beginner trying to practice against a Bf-109 E7 in single player, quick missions.  Any suggestions what I should use against an AI in a Bf-109 E7 set on ace while I'm set as a beginner?

Spitfire Vb or one of the Yaks perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Spitfire Vb or one of the Yaks perhaps?

Thank you both for your suggestions.  It's appreciated.  Salute.

Posted (edited)

Yak1 is a great one, maybe not fast enough except for turns. Mig 3 with added firepower deadlier.

There are some practice missions, or Haash's old Albert's Life Campaign is a great trainer for both Yak1 and Mig.

Edited by jollyjack
absolutely NO reason ...
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, rowdyb00t said:

Also the P40 or the P39. 

On 6/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, jollyjack said:

Yak1 is a great one, maybe not fast enough except for turns. Mig 3 with added firepower deadlier.

There are some practice missions, or Haash's old Albert's Life Campaign is a great trainer for both Yak1 and Mig.

Thank you.  What is " Haash's old Albert's Life Campaign" and where might I find that?   And sorry for the delay in replying.  Does enabling "Notify me of replies" result in an email.  If so I never got one.  I always try to reply promptly to folks.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:36 AM, RaymondSte said:

I'm a beginner trying to practice against a Bf-109 E7 in single player, quick missions.  Any suggestions what I should use against an AI in a Bf-109 E7 set on ace while I'm set as a beginner?

I would suggest the Mig-3 as it's a flight school on its own. It'll get you out of bad habits and teach you the importance of trimming and maintaining momentum.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RaymondSte said:

Thank you.  What is " Haash's old Albert's Life Campaign" and where might I find that?   And sorry for the delay in replying.  Does enabling "Notify me of replies" result in an email.  If so I never got one.  I always try to reply promptly to folks.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads4&file=details&id=44

Have fun, i learned to appreciate both i16 and Mig3 planes from this set. 

There are a lot of mediafiles playing, so the time scale function doesn't work if you want to replay parts and skip the 'hey, i've been here' boring parts.

You can edit them out in the mission editor however .. load the msbin files as there are no mission files in campaigns usually. 

Once loaded you can save them as mission files.

You'll need battle of Moscow i think, and it's quite expensive today in regards that the map has never been finished properly

(Moscow is a no fly zone, but there's a Mod revealing that area in the game). Wait for a sale, it has been dumped a few times.

You can always fly those planes via Quick Missions anyway.

Edited by jollyjack
  • Thanks 1

Which planes can you fly in Albert's life? I thought it was just the MiG but the description doesn't really say..

On 6/15/2020 at 9:44 PM, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

I-16 vs 109 E7 is always fun.

I've been doing that and holding my own except when I tried to get fancy and execute a maneuver I learned on YouTube, an Immelman. 

3 minutes ago, RaymondSte said:

I've been doing that and holding my own except when I tried to get fancy and execute a maneuver I learned on YouTube, an Immelman. 

Not a good move with an enemy AC on your six.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 9:28 PM, RaymondSte said:

What is " Haash's old Albert's Life Campaign" and where might I find that?   

Look on this section of this very same forum - LOs of great stuff there, "Albert's life" is the last pinned topic on this page:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/111-scripted-campaigns/

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, RaymondSte said:

.  Does enabling "Notify me of replies" result in an email.  If so I never got one.  I always try to reply promptly to folks.

The 'Notify me of replies' doesn't result in an email. Instead you get a audible ping if the forum is open in your browser, even if you are on a different page (or if you have the page open in the background whilst playing the game) and a red circle is shown over the bell symbol at the top of the page when you  next log in. Or to put it another way you get notified when you get a response if you are in the forum and if not then the next time you open the forum.

coming back to your original question I am quite partial to the Tempest due to its firepower. But I tend to mix it up, a single fighter against 4 BF110s can be fun.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RaymondSte said:

Immelmanns are usually used to get behind targets flying in an opposite direction, and which are generally not maneuvering. Don't think in terms of canned maneuvers, because air combat is a fluid process.

Also, a thing that it's perhaps not obvious in the beginning, running/disengaging is always a good option if you've been caught on the wrong foot, or made a mistake and you need to reset the engagement to a neutral state (meaning running away and returning on equal terms, head on - of course if the opponent cooperates).

Edited by Raven109
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do a lot of running.   I got that down pretty good.

2 hours ago, Monksilver said:

The 'Notify me of replies' doesn't result in an email. Instead you get a audible ping if the forum is open in your browser, even if you are on a different page (or if you have the page open in the background whilst playing the game) and a red circle is shown over the bell symbol at the top of the page when you  next log in. Or to put it another way you get notified when you get a response if you are in the forum and if not then the next time you open the forum.

coming back to your original question I am quite partial to the Tempest due to its firepower. But I tend to mix it up, a single fighter against 4 BF110s can be fun.

Thanks on the notifications clarification.  I remember the Tempest from my Il-2 1946 days.  Awesome firepower indeed.

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Not a good move with an enemy AC on your six.

Yes, a rookie move indeed.   He shot me down when I went vertical for the loop part.  A barn door couldn't have made an easier target.

5 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Look on this section of this very same forum - LOs of great stuff there, "Albert's life" is the last pinned topic on this page:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/111-scripted-campaigns/

Thank you.  I bookmarked it.

4 hours ago, Raven109 said:

Immelmanns are usually used to get behind targets flying in an opposite direction, and which are generally not maneuvering. Don't think in terms of canned maneuvers, because air combat is a fluid process.

I find this funny because, despite having flown hundreds of air sim hours over the years, I still don't consciously perform any specific aerobatic moves. I have a vague notion of the various names and their general intent.

When I'm attacked by AI, I generally snap roll (which is so basic I don't consider it aerobatics) immediately, and then enter into a shallow diving turn. Usually a left-hand turn.

I am, in terms of practiced, coordinated flying, an absolutely awful, totally ignorant pilot. I fly entirely by feel and nothing else.

That said, the AI rarely hits me. I can't say I'd be equally untouchable versus people; haven't tried yet.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 8:27 PM, oc2209 said:

I find this funny because, despite having flown hundreds of air sim hours over the years, I still don't consciously perform any specific aerobatic moves. I have a vague notion of the various names and their general intent.

When I'm attacked by AI, I generally snap roll (which is so basic I don't consider it aerobatics) immediately, and then enter into a shallow diving turn. Usually a left-hand turn.

I am, in terms of practiced, coordinated flying, an absolutely awful, totally ignorant pilot. I fly entirely by feel and nothing else.

That said, the AI rarely hits me. I can't say I'd be equally untouchable versus people; haven't tried yet.

I'm a little disappointed, at this point, on the AI performance set on ACE in one on one encounters.   I strongly suspect that playing against an actual , high time human pilot will be an entirely different experience, if what I've seen on YouTube is any indication of skill and proficiency in flight maneuvers.  I'm a little hesitant to try mulitplayer although I should just jump in and  prepare to get beaten like a red-headed step child.  The experience would be educational... and frustrating.  What I'm afraid of, however, is inadvertently stealing somebody's kill or shooting a friendly because my aircraft identification is abysmal. 

1 hour ago, RaymondSte said:

I'm a little hesitant to try mulitplayer although I should just jump in and  prepare to get beaten like a red-headed step child.  The experience would be educational... and frustrating.

I agree. I'm also doubly afraid because my PC just isn't capable of running the game on max or near-max settings. Between a bad framerate and restricted visibility settings, I expect I'd be at a disadvantage. And I'm not even getting into differences in flight equipment (stick quality, rudders, VR or tracking apps, etc; I have nothing but a stick). What I don't want to do is get a bad attitude by having my ass handed to me, without actually deserving to have my ass handed to me if all other factors were equal or near equal.

If I had to do multiplayer, I think I'd use the La-5 FN. Fly on the deck, force everyone to come down to you if they want a kill. Use their fear of hitting trees to your advantage. You, of course, must have no fear of hitting the ground yourself.

This is all theoretical and would likely fall apart in reality.

Posted (edited)

One of the best things for surviving online in my limited experience is to try and fly with others, also try to avoid flying obvious and direct routes from a front line airbase to the nearest contested targets. Altitude is your friend since enemies below you have to struggle up to meet you which gives you time to spot them and gives you the opportunity to pick your fights. This certainly seems to help me survive the initial engagements although once the fur starts flying the rest is down to luck for me!

Edited by Halon
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Halon said:

One of the best things for surviving online in my limited experience is to try and fly with others, also try to avoid flying obvious and direct routes from a front line airbase to the nearest contested targets. Altitude is your friend since enemies below you have to struggle up to meet you which gives you time to spot them and gives you the opportunity to pick your fights. This certainly seems to help me survive the initial engagements although once the fur starts flying the rest is down to luck for me!

Sounds like good advice.  Thank you.  I'm looking forward to some multiplayer donnybrooks.  I'm just going to do a little more aircraft familiarization and practice for the time being.  That and watch YouTube videos of experienced pilots sharing their experience and superior knowledge.  There's knowledge to be gained there.

20 hours ago, RaymondSte said:

Sounds like good advice.  Thank you.  I'm looking forward to some multiplayer donnybrooks.  I'm just going to do a little more aircraft familiarization and practice for the time being.  That and watch YouTube videos of experienced pilots sharing their experience and superior knowledge.  There's knowledge to be gained there.

Have you practiced fighting the Spitfire in the 109 yet?

I'd advise doing so, even with AI being what it is, to prepare yourself for turning fights that you can't easily win.

You should also practice head-on passes for the above reason. 

Last night I put myself in a 109 F4, against a Spitfire V and IX (separately), both on Ace. Started on the deck. The V could outturn me for a while, but then maybe its boost ran out; because after a few minutes of maneuvering, I was able to get on his tail, and stay there; my throttle setting was just a shade under emergency, since the F4's boost mode is also very short and barely worth (safely) using.

The IX dragged me up to 10,000 feet, where he finally turned to face me. I couldn't outturn him, but in a head-on pass I crippled his engine with several 20mm strikes. I always prefer to fire up into a passing target, not down. I only fire at point-blank range, which greatly increases the probability of collision. High risk, high reward and all that. When they're coming at you and near collision, pull up briefly to lead them, fire very briefly, then immediately push your nose down.

Needless to say, I would not advise head-on passes against planes with nose guns.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, oc2209 said:

Needless to say, I would not advise head-on passes against planes with nose guns.

Lol.