Jump to content

Can anybody actually fly the He111 H6?


PatrickAWlson

Recommended Posts

Luftschiff

Hm, I've always found the Heinkel a real pleasure to fly, taxi, take off and land - but as someone mentioned above, I cut my teeth on the Gotha and bombers in general and by comparison the Heinkel is a dream. That said, I know you are a seasoned veteran pilot many years my senior and so I have a hard time coming up with any reasons you'd have the issues you describe, aside from being A. VERY overloaded or B. Somehow forgetting to adjust Pitch/RPM. The latter seems unlikely, and there's been plenty said about the other point by others above - but the H6 is most certainly flyable! I hope you figure it out!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

The 111 is one of the best Aerobatic Trainers in the Game and is such a Hoot to fly except for the low G-Tolerance.

But generally, if you Calculate 400l for Take-Off and Climb (600l when heavy), plus 500l/h in Cruise and a Reserve of 200l in General, you will find that between 800 and 1200l of Fuel will get you there and back again reliably on most Servers/Missions/Maps.

 

The 4500l on the H-6 will last you for 9, NINE!!! (in Numbers and in Words as well NINE) Hours in Maximum Cruise Power. If you fly conservatively you can get 12+ Hours out that Load.

WHY THE F WOULD YOU DO THAT?

Even on the H-16 will last 6 to 8 Hours on Full Fuel, and the two internal Bomb Bays decrease Drag and increase Range and Speed considerably.

 

The longest Missions I've flown were 1:45 Hours, and I never had to take more than 1200l.

 

What am I trying to say?

 

Don't look at Fuel Percentages, look at the actual Numbers and use your Brains to determine how much you need.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
US63_SpadLivesMatter
6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

He 111 only need patience to get to altitude. 

 

I just trim it to climb and go grab a drink.

 

Sometimes I come back and find I've been doing a lazy circle; but as long as the nose was still pointed upwards we're good.

Edited by US63_SpadLivesMatter
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogiflight
2 hours ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

 

I just trim it to climb and go grab a drink.

 

Sometimes I come back and find I've been doing a lazy circle; but as long as the nose was still pointed upwards we're good.

Don't trim it too much tail heavy, not that your aircraft starts flying loopings:biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeFF

@PatrickAWlson, I set the default fuel load for both He 111s to about 50% in career mode, after some people noted that both players and AI had a hard time taking off with full fuel. Like Klaus says up above, taking anything above ~1200 liters is complete overkill. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Vortice

Take as much fuel as possible. It makes for a better fireball when you get shot down.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogiflight
2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

@PatrickAWlson, I set the default fuel load for both He 111s to about 50% in career mode, after some people noted that both players and AI had a hard time taking off with full fuel. Like Klaus says up above, taking anything above ~1200 liters is complete overkill. 

However this makes a difference of a few hundred liters between the H6 and the H16.

The long range version H6 really doesn't make any sense for this game. Nobody wants to fly ten times around the map:joy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 4:58 AM, MattS said:

 

Cool story, but Pat is right that the Heinkel is a massive dog that can't carry half its fuel load without having a stroke. 

 

 

 

 

 


I know you’re not new around here, but I’ll still say that responses like “just take (some number well below full fuel)% and you’ll be good” without ever reflecting on reality are the norm on this forum. 
 

I once saw a guy here tell another guy (who had significant real-world tail dragger experience) that taxiing was fine as-is, and that he just needed to trim the rudder out to taxi at 10-15 knots in a straight line. I’m serious.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeFF
1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

The long range version H6 really doesn't make any sense for this game. Nobody wants to fly ten times around the map:joy:

 

Well, remember that often (but not always, to be sure) these bombers were flying from airfields beyond the maps' borders into the areas depicted by the game. That said, the H-6 fits the timeframe perfectly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
US63_SpadLivesMatter
2 hours ago, GP* said:


I know you’re not new around here, but I’ll still say that responses like “just take (some number well below full fuel)% and you’ll be good” without ever reflecting on reality are the norm on this forum.

 

Well the reality is that doing this will help you get the thing into the air in this game.  Game.  Not reality.  In this game.  Where it's like 30 minutes to the target.  It'll get you up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, US63_SpadLivesMatter said:

 

Well the reality is that doing this will help you get the thing into the air in this game.  Game.  Not reality.  In this game.  Where it's like 30 minutes to the target.  It'll get you up.


The reality, as you put it, is that something isn’t quite matching reality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogiflight
7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

 

Well, remember that often (but not always, to be sure) these bombers were flying from airfields beyond the maps' borders into the areas depicted by the game. That said, the H-6 fits the timeframe perfectly. 

Surely, and therefore the longrange version was certainly needed. But we are flying up to 150km to the target, so no need for a long range version. And I doubt, there were no other versions, without the internal extra fuel tank flying at Stalingrad, that would make more sense as they could fly with 8x250kg or 32x50kg internal bombload instead of just half of it.

Remember, bombers were mainly used for carpet bombing, so it would definitely make sense to have as many bombs on board as possible.

Using the H6 with internal fuel tank for short range sorties doesn't make any sense for that, as you need many more aircrafts to get the same result.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Consider that the B-17 and Lancaster when fully fuelled up, only had about 1500 to 2000kg to Spare to MTOW. Both had Hardpoints for  twice or 3 Times that, for Short Range Missions when they would take well less than 50% Fuel Load.

 

The 111 is half the Plane of those two. With Fuel Fuel according to Load Sheets MTOW is reached with 800kg of Bombs. With the H-6 at Full Fuel, any Bombs carried already meant Overloading the Plane.

Most of the Tactical Missions it would fly, it would fly with a Fuel Load similar to that of Ju-88 and Ju-87, 800l per Engine or less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
US63_SpadLivesMatter
11 hours ago, GP* said:


The reality, as you put it, is that something isn’t quite matching reality. 

 

Which doesn't change the fact that reducing your fuel will help someone fly the 111.  The reality is, that in this game, where people are having the issue, this solves the issue.

 

If video game version of the 111 needs an FM revision, there's a place to discuss that.

Edited by US63_SpadLivesMatter
Link to post
Share on other sites
6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Adjusting your Fuel Load to the Distance you intend to fly and the Payload you are carrying is absolutely real in anything bigger than a Cessna 172, both in the Military and Civilian Operators.

Do you really believe Ryanair carries a Mililitre more Fuel than they are legally required to for any Flight? Do you believe a Military will sacrifice several MBTs as Payload just to lug around a Full Fuel Load for some Short Haul Flights?

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
Link to post
Share on other sites
PatrickAWlson

I made this topic to better understand how to fly the He111 in game.  Take way, way less fuel is the answer - I'm good with that.  I watched the videos and read what I could find but until this thread I did not realize how much fuel the H6 could actually take and how little was required.   I appreciate the responses.  They helped me and hopefully will also help others.

 

To be clear I was not looking for an FM discussion.  Just advice on how to keep this thing in the air.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
LukeFF
8 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

And I doubt, there were no other versions, without the internal extra fuel tank flying at Stalingrad, that would make more sense as they could fly with 8x250kg or 32x50kg internal bombload instead of just half of it.

Remember, bombers were mainly used for carpet bombing, so it would definitely make sense to have as many bombs on board as possible.

Using the H6 with internal fuel tank for short range sorties doesn't make any sense for that, as you need many more aircrafts to get the same result.

 

Actually, no, the H-6 was pretty much all the He 111 bomber units were using at this time in the East. For instance, a look at II./KG 55 aircraft inventory shows it had nothing but H-6s from May to December 1942, when it picked up some H-11s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ZachariasX

The flight manual of the He-111H states that of the outer 2x 700L and the inner 1025L tanks, the outer are to be filled only for long range missions. It is obvious that topping of the long range tanks comes at a penalty for bomb load. Thus, I expect 2000 litres of fuel a historical standard mission fuel load for anything our game can provide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogiflight
4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

that of the outer 2x 700L and the inner 1025L tanks,

Vice versa, the inner fuel tanks had 700l, the outer 1025l. So it is 1400 liters as standard fuel load.

grafik.thumb.png.4e6302b71f5e3c7f1c1ae885e7e44891.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...