I will be making comparison videos with all the current brands, to showcase how I make my gear different, more realistic looking and more realistic feeling.

Which one is better? That's for everyone to decide on their own, depending on they want, and what they use it for. If you want to slam your spacecraft around effortlessly in Star Citizen, then obviously this is not the product for you. If you're after raking up those kill numbers in IL-2 with instant button presses and slamming the stick left-to-right in 0.2 seconds, this will make that harder for you.

On the other hand, if you'd like to know what it was like to control a 12,000 lbs war machine realistically. How hard, engaging, intense and demanding a dogfight or bombing run really was, then this will give you the workout you've been searching for:

PGHS2125.jpg

Edited by hegykc
Grammar
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

How could VKB, Virpil and TM possibly make realistic looking fighter jet grips and metal cam bases, when Logitech and Saitek have been making joysticks for 20 years before them and it was always cheap plastic space looking toys...

World moves forward, technology advances, established giants get small disruptive competitors. What you describe is exactly what Thrustmaster did to Saitek, and what Virpil/VKB did to Thrustmaster. And it will happen to me eventually.

As to my secret recipe, nice try :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Nitpicking. 😁

As matter of fact Thrustmaster start before Logitech and Saitek.

Not counting Atari, CH  2 buttons sticks... could be said that Thrustmaster release the first practical domestic joystick for CFS, with the FCS/PFCS (B-8) Mk.I in early 1990's. 

BTW - "Clicking" buttons divide options, are the guys in DCS forum World that buy expensive OTTO P-1xxx for make their F-16, F-18 Thrustmaster sticks buttons more "real", and in Reddit are the people that complain about VKB buttons (Japanese OMROM) click being "too loud". 😜

Thing is find a good compromise between "click" and force need to press, or in an hour of gameplay the fingers are hurting. 👍

...or in an hour of gameplay the fingers are hurting.

Yeah, that is why I am not a fan of hard pressing buttons too.

Gaming (simming) is something quite diffrent from real life - there are far more "clicks" during the same amount of time comparing with real life...

1 hour ago, Sokol1 said:

Nitpicking. 😁

As matter of fact Thrustmaster start before Logitech and Saitek.

Not counting Atari, CH  2 buttons sticks... could be said that Thrustmaster release the first practical domestic joystick for CFS, with the FCS/PFCS (B-8) Mk.I in early 1990's. 

BTW - "Clicking" buttons divide options, are the guys in DCS forum World that buy expensive OTTO P-1xxx for make their F-16, F-18 Thrustmaster sticks buttons more "real", and in Reddit are the people that complain about VKB buttons (Japanese OMROM) click being "too loud". 😜

Thing is find a good compromise between "click" and force need to press, or in an hour of gameplay the fingers are hurting. 👍

Remember the Kraft joysticks?

That was my first one.

7 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Make no mistake, I’m a supporter here.  Just seems too good to be true.  

No, I hear you. For decades no one expected to ever be a metal hotas replica, until TM Warthog. Then for 10 years no one made another, or replacement grips for TM. Then Virpil/VKB showed up. Then for 5 years we thought that's the best that can be. Until Winwing came along, making full metal throttle and sticks. For each of those things we thought will never happen. But you can't stop progress.

• Like 2
On 11/16/2020 at 2:10 AM, hegykc said:

No, I hear you. For decades no one expected to ever be a metal hotas replica, until TM Warthog. 

HOTAS Cougar (~2002) don't count? Have more metal parts than Warthog, whose base tube and "gut's" are plastic.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

HOTAS Cougar (~2002) don't count? Have more metal parts than Warthog, whose base tube and "gut's" are plastic.

That was not the point of this discussion at all. The point made was, things are done this way for a decade what makes you think you can change/improve things. When in fact, if you look at flight sim and hardware history, the only thing that is constant is change and progress.

• Upvote 2

Well, if  I wasn't convinced about the quality, I'm now after looking these video's. But still got some questions: will every device has its own USB cable, will there be extensions like the ones for the Warthog stick and how does the device 'translate' its klicks to the games? Will there be a program like Thrustmasters Target?

1 usb for the stick (weapon switch box, and startup switch box connect to the base)

1 usb for throttle (gear lever, flaps lever, dive brakes, trim wheels, engine cooling box etc all connect to the throttle)

and maybe 1 usb for the right side mount with a radio and some other controls.

All electronics and firmware are open source if you want to change it with Mmjoy, FreeJoy, Joystick Gremlin or any of the Arduino HID libraries. But I design them specifically for IL-2 out-of-the-box. Every key binding that exists in IL-2 will be on either the stick mount, or the throttle mount. So there shouldn't be any need for diy tinkering with firmware, it'll be plug'n'play. But if you want to, you can.

It'll become more clear in the next few videos...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

If you put together a similar setup from other brands: Grip+base+mount+extension+switch-box you're looking at 1,000$. I'm aiming to have mine at less then half that, so 300-400$.

Tail wheel lock and simulating weight/resistance of cables/push-rods/levers and bearings that all heavy machinery controls have, no matter how small the control lever is:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I have been quite interested in your products, your idea and aesthetics for a while now.

But this

"Grip+base+mount+extension+switch-box you're looking at 1,000$. I'm aiming to have mine at less then half that, so 300-400$."

This is turning into a VERY compelling argument to try it, even if I'm a prety new and happy vkb joystick owner!

Keep the info coming our way!

18 hours ago, hegykc said:

If you put together a similar setup from other brands: Grip+base+mount+extension+switch-box you're looking at 1,000$. I'm aiming to have mine at less then half that, so 300-400$.

Tail wheel lock and simulating weight/resistance of cables/push-rods/levers and bearings that all heavy machinery controls have, no matter how small the control lever is:

18 hours ago, hegykc said:

This is very important and I dont think other controllers have the feel of weight/resistance they usually feel super easy to move like they are not connected to nothing (which they are) modelling the resistance of cables, push rods its big for realism and immersion, looking forward to try this products.

Some controllers like the Warthog throttle have friction dial you can adjust , it helps, might be good for jets, but just does not feel right compared to a real piston powered throttle or rpm lever.

• Thanks 1
On 11/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, hegykc said:

That sounds good! I hope it will be available for purchase soon, especially in Germany! 🙂

I have to admit, I do love the aesthetic here! It's entirely too tempting when I already have to be upgrading other hardware. I would love to go from my CH stick to something that just looks so good. And the robustness is a plus. I like to buy things that last forever so I don't have to think about it anymore. 

At one point I think you showed a head tracking device - do you have any firm plans on that? I'm happy with my current setup but I live in fear of it dying on me and having no way to replace it, so I like to see new stuff come on the market.

Testing the dimensions for a 1:1 throttle mount. Those who don't have space for this, will get their levers under the throttle, and trim wheel next to it for a smaller form factor. I'm making multiple style levers and trim wheels so you can mix and match what every style you like best.

This one is for the P-47:

PGHS2149.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I have two questions hegykc:

• Regarding the joystick. Can you tell us a bit about the gimball mechanism? Materials and such. Also, will it have different cams as other products to suit different feelings?
  • About the trim wheels: How many rotations will they have from one end to the other? rotarys in many hotas only do one rotation and the trim is very sensitive to small changes. Real life trims tend to develop more than one rotation (specially elevator trim) so more minute changes can be achieved.

Thanks for sharing your work.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:24 AM, Arthur-A said:

Hey @hegykc, are you planning to make a desktop version of the joystick in future?

I will make a cheaper than this version, still center-mounted, stick with all controls on a single switch-box. I don't see a reason to fly these sims that are military grade, even better now, on a space looking toy-box-on-a-table. Aluminum rail mounts cost 15$ to make, there is no reason not to put everything on them.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, VA_Spectre7 said:

I’m holding off on replacing my beat up Logitech 3D Pro until this comes out.

@hegykc - Would you be so kind to show us more of the P-38 yoke?

I only photograph what I have functioning, so you've seen as far as I've gone with P-38 yoke for now.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, HR_Zunzun said:

I have two questions hegykc:

• Regarding the joystick. Can you tell us a bit about the gimball mechanism? Materials and such. Also, will it have different cams as other products to suit different feelings?
  • About the trim wheels: How many rotations will they have from one end to the other? rotarys in many hotas only do one rotation and the trim is very sensitive to small changes. Real life trims tend to develop more than one rotation (specially elevator trim) so more minute changes can be achieved.

Thanks for sharing your work.

No photo details on the gimbal mechanism until sales start. I don't want to be copied before I even make a dime off it. There are no cams, you adjust strength by positioning springs, and replacing them with stronger ones.

Trim wheels will be multi-turn. Replica ones as many turns as the real things. A generic one will have an average of those, 2-turn, 5-turn whatever the average will be. And movement damping just like my base and my throttle levers for fluid motion and stop.

Added P-47 Cooling/canopy-module, dive recovery-module and pitch-override module:

PGHS2159.jpg

PGHS2158.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Excellent work! Are there plans for a throttle handle that can control the K-14 gunsight?

Also, are there plans for controls more common to bombers like the bomb doors and level autopilot controls?

• Upvote 1
On 11/22/2020 at 2:59 AM, hegykc said:

I will make a cheaper than this version, still center-mounted, stick with all controls on a single switch-box. I don't see a reason to fly these sims that are military grade, even better now, on a space looking toy-box-on-a-table.

It's just a matter of preference and comfort. I agree that the full size stick is the best option, sometimes there are other factors like portability and ergonomics that have to be considered as well. I went from a full size cockpit setup to a table mount and ended up with just a desktop Gladiator. I like the versatility of a table top setup - you can just move it aside and do other things on your PC, nothing beats desktop joystick in that, not even a table mounted one. I was really impressed with your demo video of how the damping of a gimbal mechanism works and I'd love to have such a great product in a desktop version. There might be others who would be interested. Of course I don't know whether it would make sense from a manufacturing and commercial standpoint, but just expressing my wish.

Edited by Arthur-A

@hegykc I´m currently building an aluminium extension for my old T16000M and planned on using a 3D printed, swappable grip on top of it. 

With the apparent quality of your sticks, it would be a shame to not use them for this.

Do you think it would be possible for you to also sell spare connection pieces, or something similar,

so I can 3D print a socket to which I could fixate it to the aluminium pipe?   

As for throttle quadrants, I really hope there´ll be a Spitfire Mk IX one as well, because I plan on buying one as well as the FW190 one.

6 hours ago, WildWilly said:

Sorry one question: will avaibility be a gambling las vegas effect like trying to get a vkb stick?

Well, if an entire world supply of flight sim gear is out of stock, I can't make any guaranties in these circumstances.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:00 AM, frosen said:

@hegykc Are you also planning to make a German bomber yoke like Ju-88 or He-111? Awesome concept btw!

Yes, next year for sure. I already have prototypes but I don't show anything until it is confirmed working without issues.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:48 PM, So_ein_Feuerball said:

@hegykc Do you think it would be possible for you to also sell spare connection pieces, or something similar,

so I can 3D print a socket to which I could fixate it to the aluminium pipe?  

You will see in the more detailed videos how these can be mounted to any shaft or diy simpit.

Added P-47 trim wheel box and landing gear:

PGHS2166.jpg

• Like 1

🙃  Nobody can even make guaranties if he is still alive nexz hout.. thats ok..fine.. but more or less my Question was, if you will announce avaibility ? will there be preorder ? Prices.. all that been said the General Question is not, if a product Looks cool or IS in fact fantastic, but the main Question imo for the customer is : can i get it, where when and how expensive. so i realy like the work u present, but all time delivering Appetizers without the main dish is a bit.. n satisfying? 🤢 i hope u got me Right, Looks promising, but Maybe some info About  start of massproduction 😆 help … Need realy good working alternatives...horrido

VKB revealed TECS throttle in December 2017, three years before production.

Trhustmaster revealed F-18 grip in January 2018, two years before production.

Virpil announced their switch boxes in August 2019, one year before production.

I am currently 6 months into my throttle reveal. 1 guy, in the middle of the worst pandemic in the history of the world, and in the middle of the biggest flight sim surge in history. There is no point in opening a public webshop right now, even if I had 50,000 units, it would crash instantly due to demand, make even more people angry and turn the job I enjoy into a logistics nightmare.

Until this unexpected craze settles down, I will be hand-building custom WWII hotas sets to 30, 50, or 100 first customers who are willing to supply feedback and add-on suggestions in exchange for free replacements and updates. If you are in that kind of a hurry, you can always PM me about a pre-order.

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2