New - What to buy? Will VR Work?

I want to give IL2 a try. Not sure my system will support decent VR use and I have no idea what game to buy?

So, for a new guy who owns no IL2 software (since 1946) and who wants to fly in VR, which game do I purchase? Are there package deals for buying multiple? Is the a downloadable demo?

Given the system specs below and a Rift CV1, can I run this well?

Thanks!

Case 1 x Thermaltake Versa H35 w/ Window Gaming Case
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 5820K Processor (6x 3.30GHz/15MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i7 5820K [$40 INSTANT OFF]
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive 1 x PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] - Free Upgrade to Corsair Hydro Series H55 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand - **Free Upgrade to 16GB DDR4-2800 ADATA XPG**
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti - 6GB [Free Upgrade to EVGA Superclocked] - Single Card
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter - FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops
Free Stuff 1 x [FREE Game Download] - Intel Gaming Bundle: Just Cause 3, CSGO, and World of Warships - free w/ Intel Processors
Motherboard 1 x ASUS X99-A -- - *Free upgrade to ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 and Free ASUS ROG Mouse
Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Thermaltake SMART SP-750M - *Free Upgrade to 850W Thermaltake TPG - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 128 GB SanDisk Z400S SSD -- Read: 546MB/s, Write: 342MB/s - Single Drive *Free Upgrade to 256GB SanDisk Z400S SSD* (Single Drive Only)
Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Hard Drive -- 32MB Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black -- Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer
Sound Card 1 x ASUS Xonar DGX -- 5.1 Channels, 96KHz/24-bit
Network Card 1 x Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card
USB Expansion Card 1 x PCI-Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card (2x External Port + 1x Header)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] - (64-bit) *Newest Microsoft Windows*

Your system is very similar to my older one and IL2 ran well enough for me.  The graphics card is a little light for VR but it should work.  I ran my Oculus Rift CV I with a 980 (not ti) and it was OK.  You might have to turn down some options and not overload your missions with stuff but your system is pretty similar to my previous one overall I would say that you're fine.   

There is no downloadable demo but the older modules are not that expensive.  Stalingrad is a very good first module. Kuban is heavier on the system so maybe not that one right away.  I would pick up one of the less expensive modules and try it out.  VR in this game is IMHO mind blowing.

If you played 1946 you probably already have decent flight gear.  Top of the line is not needed but mouse and keyboard IMHO don't cut it.  Joystick minimum.  Joystick and throttle preferable.  Rudder pedals very nice to have but with a WWII module you can probably get by without.  WWI birds IMHO really need rudder.

To be honest, I guess you will not have too much fun in VR with this outdated PC Hardware.

IF you have the Money...….IL-2 Great Battle series is really the BEST VR experience for my opinion, at least for me. I do ONLY VR gaming on my PC, Sim Racing.....iRacing the most, but even more IL-2 in VR.

I use the HP Reverb for VR and have a 2 years old PC with an i-7 8700k ( non overclocked ) and a GTX-1080Ti 11Gb and 32GB DDR4 Ram.

With this System I can run IL-2 with very high Graphics ( mostly highest settings ), very smoothly. BUT in Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR ( Software Default Settings ) I have to enable "Motion reprojection Mode" to "Auto". That gives me then 45 FPS when I have too hard Framedrops below 90 FPS. But with the Motion Reprojection Mode the WMR Software does really a great job and makes the picture as smooth as with 90 FPS.

Even me, I will upgrade my PC for IL-2 once NVIDIA brings the RTX-3080Ti, because I could crank up the resoultion of my Reverb to get an even better and clearer picture.

So my advice, buy a new power PC and a better VR Headset, the Rift is also outdated nowadays ( 2 years ago I loved my Rift ).

• Upvote 1

I ran on a 2500k (overclocked to 4.6Ghz) and a 980ti with a CV1 and it's great, you will need to use ASW and put up with the artefacts caused by it but I don't find them too distracting at all.

Sadly my cable for the rift is dying so have had to swap back to pancake mode and even though I've now been able to turn all the settings up it's still nothing to compared to the experience in the CV1.

1 hour ago, Dano said:

Sadly my cable for the rift is dying so have had to swap back to pancake mode and even though I've now been able to turn all the settings up it's still nothing to compared to the experience in the CV1.

I know what you mean, I wanted to record a flight yesterday, so used a monitor instead of VR and it was horrible. And I  was playing at 1440 on ultra settings, VR on high settings is so much better.

OP I wouldn't try VR with a 980ti, I would suggest a better GPU first. Is your CPU overclocked? If not I recommend doing it.

Get a better GPU, minimum for decent VR is a good 1080Ti or RTX equivalent otherwise you're going to try it and find it puke city.

Too many people try VR with a crap setup and then complain the VR itself is crap, makes me laugh.

Edited by Georgio

I'll put it this way,  I have an I7 9700k @ 5.1gHz, 2080ti, and all the ram you need, and I'm running just slightly higher than what you could equate to "medium" settings.  I think it could be done with your specs, but you will be so frustrated with the outcome that it might turn you off of IL2 completely, which would be a shame.  

My advice; play 2d for the moment and get used to the game and physics.  Save up and upgrade your cpu to something that can get at least 4.5 gHz and 1080ti minimum.

Edited by =BES=Senor_Jefe

Why not try VR? you already have the PC and the CV1 then might as well try it. I used to run it with a 4670k at 4.2Ghz and a 1070, the experience was so good that it made me want to buy a better system 3 years later. I agree with all the people above that say that Il2 VR is amazing.

ahh... IDK why my other edit did not post so i'm going to type it again....

Anyway... I would get stalingrad first as it has a good variety of planes that will also let you play on most MP scenarios. If you're on Steam, then you have to buy this module first as it is the "base game" on that platform. If you buy from this store, then you can buy any module as a stand-alone expansion or game. either way, I recommend Stalingrad first.

4 hours ago, Georgio said:

Get a better GPU, minimum for decent VR is a good 1080Ti or RTX equivalent otherwise you're going to try it and find it puke city.

Too many people try VR with a crap setup and then complain the VR itself is crap, makes me laugh.

I disagree with this statement, you don't need that as a minimum but I do see where you are coming from. People can discard VR easily if they have a bad first experience but I think the OP has already some VR legs as he has a VR system and headset already and I know il2 VR (with a 1070 at least) is much more than a great experience.

Edited by SAG
49 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I have 1080 ti and I run this between 39 to 80 fps 

Same here. 

My experience is this title runs in VR as good as, if not slightly better than, DCS. So OP could go install the free version of that and see how their rig holds up before spending any money.

Repeating myself a bit, but with a very similar setup (slightly less good than the OP) I did run VR with a Rift CV1 for awhile and it was functional.  Definitely not ideal, but it was usable.  After awhile (delayed by several months when the prices of GPUs surged)  I did upgrade from a 980 to a 1080 and that was obviously much better.  

Point being it will work.  Whether it is acceptable or not is up the user.  As @SAG points out the OP already has everything except the game, and one module is not that expensive.   May as well try it.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, pfrances said:

Same here. 

My experience is this title runs in VR as good as, if not slightly better than, DCS. So OP could go install the free version of that and see how their rig holds up before spending any money.

in my experience, Il2 runs way much better than DCS in VR, like way much better. and i also got better frames with my old system than what you are describing. I wonder what made us get such different results.

I did get quite a few slowdowns back then but i really didn't mind them much. definetly not enough to go back to using other headtracking solutions. even then I considered Il2 to be the best VR game by a long shot, but then again, flight sims are indeed a niche genre. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, SAG said:

in my experience, Il2 runs way much better than DCS in VR, like way much better. and i also got better frames with my old system than what you are describing. I wonder what made us get such different results.

It was like that for me too but inbetween ed updates I expirience better vr expirience and steady. I run open beta so it can be opposite sometimes

4 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It was like that for me too but in between ed updates I expirience better vr expirience and steady. I run open beta so it can be opposite sometimes

Really? ill reintall it tonight an check it out, maybe even take the Huey for a spin :)

While top of the line hardware is always wanted for VR your will still be able to have a very playable experience if you are careful optimizing your settings. Check out the pinned threads in the VR forum.

Edited by VR-DriftaholiC

I have a computer that's similar in spec to yours.  Honestly, the only consistently good VR experience I can get with IL-2 is when I play online.  In multiplayer you've got the server you are connected to handling some of the workload.  The problem with low spec VR is that your system won't be able to render the frames fast enough when the action gets busy and then you will see planes "ghosting" through the sky (or in your gunsight as you try to shoot).  The planes will appear to split in two, as if their "ghosts are trying to leave their bodies", if you will.  This effect doesn't look very good and usually has me close out the mission to tweak settings in the hopes of eliminating it.

Sometimes I can eliminate the ghosting in single-player for awhile.  But the threshold down into underperformance and ghosting is so close with my system that any changes to my computer, Il-2, drivers, seemingly anything, can push me down into planes ghosting again.  You'll learn a lot about your computer if you try to get this to work on a consistent basis (hah!).

If you can be content to leave the careers and large single-player missions alone when playing VR, then I'd say go for it.  I've had to do that as I don't want to spend any more time tweaking my system for extra frames in Il-2.  It's too variable and frustrating.  VR is just really demanding and our systems are just barely in the playable range when they aren't worked too hard.  DCS, and even War Thunder, will have ghosting planes when the mission gets busy as well.  It's not a problem with Il-2.

All that being said: multiplayer and small single-player missions in Il-2 are great fun in Il-2 VR.  Just beware of the limitations your system will probably have.

Chris

39 minutes ago, cmorris975 said:

The problem with low spec VR is that your system won't be able to render the frames fast enough when the action gets busy and then you will see planes "ghosting" through the sky (or in your gunsight as you try to shoot).  The planes will appear to split in two, as if their "ghosts are trying to leave their bodies", if you will.  This effect doesn't look very good and usually has me close out the mission to tweak settings in the hopes of eliminating it.

Are you referring to persistence of vision due to lower refresh rate or ASW / Motion smoothing / re projection because those I turn off for IL-2

Edited by VR-DriftaholiC
18 minutes ago, VR-DriftaholiC said:

Are you referring to persistence of vision due to lower refresh rate or ASW / Motion smoothing / re projection because those I turn off for IL-2

Not sure what "persistence of vision" means.  The goal is to have planes not "splitting in two".  Yes, I turn off ASW as well through OTT.  I run low to medium settings in graphics, use opencomposite.  I have tweaked everything you can imagine.

It really comes down to rendering frames.  My computer can sometimes do it more or less OK, even on large single-player missions.  It is very fragile though and I'm always one Windows update or new background task away from not wanting to play career mode (again) due to FPS taking a hit and causing ghosting planes.

I've spent way too much time on this though.  I'm content to play multiplayer until I upgrade my system.

I have a similar system (6700k@4Ghz, 980ti, 16GB RAM). Try to get a used FFB2 on ebay. Then test IL2 (Stalingrad module). The system is good enough to do SP traffic pattern in VR.

If you get excited, you might get a better GPU.

12 hours ago, SAG said:

Really? ill reintall it tonight an check it out, maybe even take the Huey for a spin :)

For steady best VR, stable version is best. 
I use open beta in order to get the newest stuff. And it updates from twice a week to twice a month. You never really knows if it will be smooth or not. People roll back to previous version if a patch is broken. 
one thing is pretty sure with DCS patches something is broken, but not always do it affect performance. VR is native buildt in the game and do work better in some ways. I really enjoy taking a ride in the yak 52 or a chopper. Civil missions no shooting. I simply enjoy it. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Here you go: 

Just to note, quality is lost by youtube and recording, it looks far far better in the HMD and the black borders on the sides you can see in the video are not seen in the HMD either.

That's my 2500k @ 4.6ghz, 16GB ram (unsure if that actually makes any difference as I've never checked how much is actually in use) and a 980ti, recorded via the oculus mirror while playing in my CV1, using opencomposite. Was it running at 90fps? No, but I'm quite happy with ASW kicking my 45fps up to 90 in the rift.

These are the settings I used:

CquprOq.png

Edited by Dano